• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

dream

Boogie said:
For those of us not watching?

Ortiz intentionally headbutted PBF and had a point deducted, then got all apologetic. When the ref brought them to the middle to restart the fight, he touched gloves with PBF (which PBF did) then leaned in to hug him and PBF KTFOed him on the spot.

Boogie said:
That's not what I said.

It would be like going "lol, Fedor couldn't finish Nog in two whole fights, when Frank Mir TKO'd him"

Or "lol, Fedor couldn't finish Mirko, but Brendan Schaub could, lolololol"

But nobody says that, because it's stupid reasoning. But for some reason, it's not as stupid when it's used to criticize GSP.
Not close and you know it. Those fights were much later and those guys were shot. Again, I think GSP is the clear #2 in the world and truly believe he CAN finish all these guys (expressly because he is SO much better than them), but he's not.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
dream said:
Ortiz intentionally headbutted PBF and had a point deducted, then got all apologetic. When the ref brought them to the middle to restart the fight, he touched gloves with PBF (which PBF did) then leaned in to hug him and PBF KTFOed him on the spot.

He KTFOED him before the match was restarted.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's like I just cheated on MMA with a $5 whore, and now I've come home to apologize.

Forgive me baby.

dream

The fight was restarted. The ref was just looking at the timekeeper to make sure he restarted the, uh, time keeping.

AiTM

Banned
8.gif

dream

And that is exactly what every MMA fighter should do the next time a fighter sticks his fist out to try to stop the momentum by breaking the action with a glove tap.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It would be funny to see something similar happen in MMA. Miller should have knocked Palhares off the cage when he was celebrating prematurely.

dream said:
And that is exactly what every MMA fighter should do the next time a fighter sticks his fist out to try to stop the momentum by breaking the action with a glove tap.
Exactly. Classic Victor Ortiz meltdown - could have only been improved by Floyd KOing Larry Merchant. Thank God someone finally said what needed to be said about him.

sazabirules said:
It would be funny to see something similar happen in MMA. Miller should have knocked Palhares off the cage when he was celebrating prematurely.
Probably would have lost a point for "Throwing an opponent out of the ring or caged area".

dream

PS: you guys should look at the boxing thread if you want to see what it looks like when a fanbase suddenly realizes their sport is actually sports entertainment.

AiTM

Banned
dream said:
PS: you guys should look at the boxing thread if you want to see what it looks like when a fanbase suddenly realizes their sport is actually sports entertainment.

Turning a race war in there cause somebody called PBF and all of Americans "animals"

Heel

desa said:
I can appreciate that as well, but only when it's competitive. When he dominates as much as he does, god damn just put your opponents out of their misery. Take some risks will ya.

That's kind of why I'd like to see GSP test himself against someone above 170. He needs someone to push him and actually make a fight competitive. Maybe that would bring the fight out of him? He's cruising at welterweight. Not boring...but it's not competitive either, which we all would like to see.

dream

Okay, back to the mixed martials.

What does Dana do with Jake Shields now? Shields vs Outlaw Dan, loser leaves town sound good to anyone?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Are all boxing matches filled with elbows and headbutts? This was the first boxing match I've fully watched.

dream said:

What does Dana do with Jake Shields now? Shields vs Outlaw Dan, loser leaves town sound good to anyone?

Outlaw would lose.

Norml

NomarTyme said:
Like Dana said, the ref should have put them back to their corner. Terrible terrible refing.
But that was the start of the round.

edit- or right before.either way ,totally unexpected

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:

Dana and Joe Silva will do the same thing they're doing with Alves and what they're going to do with Hardy. Feed him a can/prospect and try to get him back on track.

Heel

dream said:

Probably the winner of either Hughes/Koscheck, MacDonald/Ebersole, or Brenneman/Johnson?

I doubt they'd put him against someone who's losing...he still has main card appeal.

dream

I dunno, I think I disagree with all the "Shields should go back to MW" people. If he's getting worked at 170, he's going to get completely slaughtered at 185. And it's not like he's killing himself with the cut or anything.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If Jake wants to chase a title 185 is his only chance because that dream is over at Welterweight. With the lack of contenders at Middleweight, he probably only needs 2-3 wins.

EDIT - Or to quote the Fatherless Bastard, "He can go back to Japan where the competition is a little easier."

dream

Chamber said:
If Jake wants to chase a title 185 is his only chance because that dream is over at Welterweight. With the lack of contenders at Middleweight, he probably only needs 2-3 wins.

EDIT - Or to quote the Fatherless Bastard, "He can go back to Japan where the competition is a little easier."

I momentarily thought you were calling Jake the fatherless bastard and nodded in approval.

dream

CaptYamato said:
Jake at 170 in UFC is a joke. He needs to stay 185.

But why? He's getting manhandled by the 170 champ. He just got knocked out by a guy at 170. Bigger guys would hurt him even more.

I was going to say I don't think Jake could even beat Leben at this point but I remembered Leben beats everyone now. So, yeah, I don't think Jake could even beat Belcher.

I don't think losing to GSP and Ellenberger is that bad. He's been more competitive against GSP than anyone else recently. Ellenberger is obviously a top-10 WW talent despite his flaws.

dream said:
But why? He's getting manhandled by the 170 champ. He just got knocked out by a guy at 170. Bigger guys would hurt him even more.

I was going to say I don't think Jake could even beat Leben at this point but I remembered Leben beats everyone now. So, yeah, I don't think Jake could even beat Belcher.
He survived Henderson's power and went against other big hitters like Daley and Lawler. Ellenberger hits very hard for a Welterweight.

2qnm5qu.jpg

2ryqct2.gif

Or look at his recent KOs/TKOs.

Shield's beating Kampmann in the state he did is enough to say he'd do very well against most UFC WWs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:
I momentarily thought you were calling Jake the fatherless bastard and nodded in approval.
Oh you.

Shields has always been a Welterweight with the exception of his Strikeforce run if I'm not mistaken so I don't know. Dude might just be fucked.

AiTM

Banned
sien916 said:
You guys are crazy. Jake Shields is a welterweight.

He weathered and beat Henderson at 185, who is now being considered for a title fight with Silva. I know hes smaller, but he did better at 185. Probably the competition hes facing now vs then, but still.

dream

AiTM said:
He weathered and beat Henderson at 185, who is now being considered for a title fight with Silva. I know hes smaller, but he did better at 185. Probably the competition hes facing now vs then, but still.

I kind of want to buy that because Hendo's a guy who, for whatever reason, has always done better at 205 than 185. I just don't see it with Jake though. Especially since the only reason he beat Hendo was because Hendo hit the wall after the second round.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No one hates on Shields more in these threads then I do but I actually feel bad for the guy. Really weird fight. I thought Hendo had him in way worse shape.

Also re the Kampmann fight Kampmann likes to whine about that one much like Tim Kennedy and the Jacare fight but Shields clearly won that fight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dream said:
Don't forget Jake also looked like shit and probably got a gift decision against Kampmann.
:nod:

Kampmann was throwing a lot of the same stuff Ellenberger did but just didn't have the power to finish. Jake is a great grappler but the blueprint on the guy is out. Like I said, dude might just be fucked.

dream

Chamber said:
:nod:

Kampmann was throwing a lot of the same stuff Ellenberger did but just didn't have the power to finish. Jake is a great grappler but the blueprint on the guy is out. Like I said, dude might just be fucked.

Yeah, that's just it. Everyone knows Jake poses no threat standing so as long as they can avoid the takedown, they'll do just fine against him.

Demian Maia had the same problem (only his BJJ was at a far higher level) and he managed to learn some serviceable standup. Maybe Jake should get out of NorCal and learn some muay thai.

edit: this guy sounds like me!

kirblar

sien916 said:
You guys are crazy. Jake Shields is a welterweight.
Look at Ellenberger's build, then look at Shield's, and tell me that Shields isn't horribly undersized in that division. The guy's starving himself because of his GSP obsession.

The problem with Shields at 170 is that his body is too big. He's not able to put enough muscle on in that division to compete with guys like GSP or Ellenberger, when they get their water weight back, they're certainly outweighing Jake by a pretty good margin. He looks tired all the time. His body's been telling him something for a long while now but he's refused to listen. Hopefully he will now.

Top Bottom