• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Morphis

BigKaboom2 said:
I did think it was a bad stoppage at first like Shields said - I don't think him trying to take down the ref was indicative of him being out of it, since there wouldn't really be any reason to look up and verify that you're taking down the correct person when trying to escape from that position.
I'd think you know that the person who's on top of you changes unless you're kinda gone.

dream said:
It's really not that risky when you have a wrestling base and such a huge reach advantage.

So how do you know how he will act when he gets into that position, when thus far he hasn't put himself anywhere near that in any fight? Also, Rampage's last two fights haven't exactly been "hood brawls".

3N16MA

Banned
Master Thespian said:
You understand that I know GSP is a great fighter who plays it so safe that he doesn't finish? I know he can finish people which is what makes former fans of his like me even more infuriated.

What GSP does is art. Completely neutralizes the best of the best and makes them look like amateurs.

Master Thespian said:
You understand that I know GSP is a great fighter who plays it so safe that he doesn't finish? I know he can finish people which is what makes former fans of his like me even more infuriated.

In the Jake fight he was blind in one eye.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
UFC 142: Ellenberger vs. Fitch

Actually no, he's fighting Hendricks. Maybe Diaz/Penn winner for #1 contender?
The Diaz/Penn winner is the #1 contender. I don't know though. Everyone is locked up through the end of the year.

dream

Ninja Scooter said:
So how do you know how he will act when he gets into that position, when thus far he hasn't put himself anywhere near that in any fight? Also, Rampage's last two fights haven't exactly been "hood brawls".

Because I think he's too eager to be known as the guy who stops muggings. I think he's a little too proud about telling the media how he used to snitch on people for smoking weed. I think he looks and sounds terrified of QRJ when they're facing off via satellite. I think he did everything he could to weasel out of fighting Rashad, possibly because he discovered something he didn't like when they trained together.

I think all that indicates there is a lot of bitch in Bones Jones.

CaptYamato said:
In the Jake fight he was blind in one eye.
GSP fans are ready to admit being blind in one eye is a disadvantage...so why didn't he finish Koscheck? GSP fans keep telling me about his fighting skill when I'm talking about his fighting attitude.

Master Thespian said:
GSP fans are ready to admit being blind in one eye is a disadvantage...so why didn't he finish Koscheck? GSP fans keep telling me about his fighting skill when I'm talking about his fighting attitude.

Skill will always mean more.

Heel

Chamber said:
The Diaz/Penn winner is the #1 contender. I don't know though. Everyone is locked up through the end of the year.

Honestly the only fight I'd want to see is GSP vs. Diaz out of the 4 of them.

The whole "clean out the division" thing is bullshit by the way...I swear they'll always have a new contender that's deemed worthy to fight GSP at 170. Frustrating when you actually want to see GSP test himself.

desa

GSP fans: Just be honest with your selves. He plays it safe and thus bores people. No one is discrediting his achievements, but he's become a boring motherfucker. Why can't most of you acknowledge this.

3N16MA

Banned
desa said:
GSP fans: Just be honest with your selves. He plays it safe and thus bores people. No one is discrediting his achievements, but he's become a boring motherfucker. Why can't most of you acknowledge this.

We recognize brilliance and art when we see it. Same way that a real baseball fan can appreciate a pitchers duel and does not get bored because no one is smashing the ball.

We have one man to thank for the neutered GSP we've been seeing the past few years:

matt-serra_georges-st-pierre.gif

Heel

desa said:

You don't have to finish someone to dominate them or be impressive. I don't think it's boring watching every contender get toyed with.

Bishman said:
Where the fuck is Boogie?!

GSP is looking bad. 209 bitch!

Do you realize that Jake trains with Diaz and Jake is the supposed better of the two? Think about that. Them Cesar Boys are about to get hit in the face with reality. Minors league the UFC is not.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
CaptYamato said:
Do you realize that Jake trains with Diaz and Jake is the supposed better of the two? Think about that. Them Cesar Boys are about to get hit in the face with reality. Minors league the UFC is not.
I still believe in Melendez but I'm definitely shocked about Shields' UFC run up to this point.

desa

sien916 said:
You don't have to finish someone to dominate them or be impressive. I don't think it's boring watching every contender get toyed with.

You honestly believe that's what goes through GSP's mind? That his plans are to toy with people? He has the skills to finish people but he doesn't because he's afraid of losing. Expressing his disappointment of not finishing fights so many times it's a broken record. He says one thing but does another.

Don't blink!

dream

C'mon, Jake isn't better than Nick. That's just a leftover myth from the days when Cesar would push Terrell as the best 185er in the world.

Boogie

dream said:
C'mon, Jake isn't better than Nick. That's just a leftover myth from the days when Cesar would push Terrell as the best 185er in the world.

C'mon, son. Jake's level of opposition shits all over Diaz' for the past four years.

dream

Boogie said:
C'mon, son. Jake's level of opposition shits all over Diaz' for the past four years.

That doesn't make him a better fighter. Jake does one thing well -- he has a pretty good top game. Other than that, Nick would beat his ass all day long.

Boogie

Bishman said:
Where the fuck is Boogie?!

Yo.

It doesn't matter how you perform against GSP's previous opponents. What matters is how you perform against GSP. And to GSP, Ellenberger, like Diaz, would just be another "W".

Boogie

dream said:
That doesn't make him a better fighter. Jake does one thing well -- he has a pretty good top game. Other than that, Nick would beat his ass all day long.

Shields: pretty good wrestling, elite grappling (especially top game, as you said)

Diaz: Good striking, very good grappling, shit wrestling.

Gee, I wonder how that hypothetical fight would go.....

kirblar

Jake's problem is that he's completely underweight relative to the guys he is fighting at welterweight. His natural weight class is Middleweight, but he's been obsessed with GSP. Hopefully Ellenberger knocked some sense into him so we stop having to see him show up with the build of a 14 year old.

Heel

desa said:
You honestly believe that's what goes through GSP's mind? That his plans are to toy with people? He has the skills to finish people but he doesn't because he's afraid of losing. Expressing his disappointment of not finishing fights so many times it's a broken record. He says one thing but does another.

Don't blink!

I'm not analyzing GSP's psyche. When you win who knows how many rounds in a row convincingly, your opponents are getting toyed. The only close rounds GSP has had in recent memory are the last two against Shields. Even then I think he won the rounds. Apparently if you can show that GSP is actually human you win rounds in some judges eyes.

My point is he's beating his opponents skillfully and I don't think it's boring. I can appreciate a technical and calculated performance just as much as the devastating knock out that you're all apparently thirsty for.

That's not being a GSP apologist, that's telling it how it is. He's ranked P4P for a reason. He's on another level at welterweight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Diaz is going to get rolled in the UFC. Terrible wrestling in the most wrestler heavy division in MMA. Not a good mix.

And as mentioned, he hasn't beaten anyone.

Norml

dream said:

BJ said something like Diaz will be the most dangerous guy he has ever fought.

Boogie

sien916 said:
I'm not analyzing GSP's psyche. When you win who knows how many rounds in a row convincingly, your opponents are getting toyed. The only close rounds GSP has had in recent memory are the last two against Shields. Even then I think he won the rounds. Apparently if you can show that GSP is actually human you win rounds in some judges eyes.

My point is he's beating his opponents skillfully and I don't think it's boring. I can appreciate a technical and calculated performance just as much as the devastating knock out that you're all apparently thirsty for.

That's not being a GSP apologist, that's telling it how it is. He's ranked P4P for a reason. He's on another level at welterweight.

Here's my "outside the box" answer on why GSP didn't finish opponents like Hardy and Shields, when other opponents afterwards did.

First, is a hockey analogy. In Olympic hockey, Team Canada is God-tier. It's our sport, we're the best, we're expected to win, and if we don't, there is a national crisis. So for every team that plays a game against Team Canada, it's the game of their lives. It's the Super Bowl, it's their gold medal game, they get hyped up and they play the game of their lives. It's like that Street Fighter quote. For Switzerland, the day they lost a close 4-3 game against Team Canada, it was the greatest game of their lives. But for Team Canada, it was Tuesday. Countries like Switzerland will get so worked up that they give Team Canada a hard game and Canada will only beat them 4-3, and then a few days later the USA or Russia will blow out Switzerland 6-1.

But Team Canada is still the best, and will beat USA or Russia when they face off.

I think it is similar to GSP. GSP is the pinnacle of the mountain, and his opponents give their all against him, even if just to survive. In contrast, psychologically, they can't afterwards give that same effort against an Ellenberger or a Lytle.

Anyway, the second is gameplanning. I think Jackson has given GSP gameplans that guarantee him the W, but make it less likely to finish. The Shields fight especially. I had thought/hoped that GSP would mix things up more, strike for the first couple rounds, then take Jake down, and back and forth, ala the BJ fight. Instead, he went in strictly to fight on the feet.

And while he did try to finish the fight (ala those repeated overhand rights), I think he would have been better served by mixing up the standup with some rounds of ground and pound

dream

Norml said:
BJ said something like Diaz will be the most dangerous guy he has ever fought.

real recognize real.

Acting like Jake Shields is somehow more threatening than Nick Diaz is a new low, even for St. Pierre fans.

edit: no, actually, Boogie's hockey analogy above is even worse. "GSP doesn't finish because he's so much better than his opponents!" cmon!

Boogie

dream said:
edit: no, actually, Boogie's hockey analogy above is even worse. "GSP doesn't finish because he's so much better than his opponents!" cmon!

That's not what I said.

It would be like going "lol, Fedor couldn't finish Nog in two whole fights, when Frank Mir TKO'd him"

Or "lol, Fedor couldn't finish Mirko, but Brendan Schaub could, lolololol"

But nobody says that, because it's stupid reasoning. But for some reason, it's not as stupid when it's used to criticize GSP.

Dysun

GSP still made BJ quit. Just sayin' He is a boring fighter now, but even post Serra KO he made Penn quit so it wasnt always that way.

Its funny to see his opponents look really bad afterwards though

desa

sien916 said:

I can appreciate that as well, but only when it's competitive. When he dominates as much as he does, god damn just put your opponents out of their misery. Take some risks will ya.

dream

PS: PBF just showed what fighters should do when their opponents are trying to hug and touch gloves every chance they get.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
dream said:
PS: PBF just showed what fighters should do when their opponents are trying to hug and touch gloves every chance they get.

Cheat and take advantage of a dumb ref? Ortiz deserved it but that was a pathetic main event.

dream said:
Also, boxing is also sports entertainment. That outburst was the verbal world equivalent of Triple H attacking JR.

Top Bottom