• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

TheNatural

My Member!
Bones' Nike contract wasnt a reward for drunk driving anymore than Austin's well paying WWE gigs over the years were "rewards" for wife beating. It was a reward for being the best in the world at what he does, and for entertaining fans with his performances inside the octagon, like when he stole the manhood of the guy in your avatar. If Punk were really as much of a soapbox stomping moralist as he tries to come across, would quit the company he works for that employs and "rewards" a bunch drug addicts, drunk drivers and wife beaters but he will never put his money, rather than donuts, where his mouth is and instead will work programs with them and help them line their pockets.

LOL agreed.

But hey, you like Mayweather, man. There's plenty of chick beating to go around with that guy.

LOL agreed.

But hey, you like Mayweather, man. There's plenty of chick beating to go around with that guy.

I stopped pretending long ago that I cared or was effected by what athletes do in their private lives. I'd watch Hitler headline a PPV if I thought he might get KO'd like Bader.

TheNatural

My Member!
I stopped pretending long ago that I cared or was effected by what athletes do in their private lives. I'd watch Hitler headline a PPV if I thought he might get KO'd like Bader.

I agree, but I also don't buy their bullshit. I'm not going to listen to the 'truth according to Mayweather' about why the Pacquaio fight won't happen and believe him; just as much as I won't believe the 'truth according to Arum.'

I'm not going to hate Jones guts now that he got a DUI, he made a mistake and has to live with it, and lost a nice chunk of money with that Bentley wreck and legal fees. I don't see why so many got caught up in his whole wholesome media play stuff, he's trying to make an image of himself, I don't give a fuck if he crashes and burns.

Everyone has an angle, a play to make when they speak. Punk spouting off is the usual protect 'our' sport type of stuff per the norm. I wish Dana would stop being a bitch about Vince though, even though they've met and he's supposedly a type of mentor to Dana, Vince keeps talking shit about the UFC and Dana needs to be Dana.

If Dana wanted he could make some strategic moves to try to bury WWE. Even with the PG friendly focus, a lot of older people still watch WWE and UFC could take more viewers away if they tried.

Bones' Nike contract wasnt a reward for drunk driving anymore than Austin's well paying WWE gigs over the years were "rewards" for wife beating. It was a reward for being the best in the world at what he does, and for entertaining fans with his performances inside the octagon, like when he stole the manhood of the guy in your avatar. If Punk were really as much of a soapbox stomping moralist as he tries to come across, would quit the company he works for that employs and "rewards" a bunch drug addicts, drunk drivers and wife beaters but he will never put his money, rather than donuts, where his mouth is and instead will work programs with them and help them line their pockets.

Granted what Austin did was inexcusable, he was the guy the saved the company on its death bed. On top of that he is pretty much the most popular superstar of all time. Jones is not liked at all and is nowhere near the drawing that Austin was. When Austin beat his wife he was pretty much out of the WWE at that point and didn't come back for at least a year later. You can't compare that to the current LHW champion who drunken crashed his Bentley than claims hes a role model. Besides, Austin got nowhere near as an important sponsorship on the level of Nike.

Granted what Austin did was inexcusable, he was the guy the saved the company on its death bed. On top of that he is pretty much the most popular superstar of all time. Jones is not liked at all and is nowhere near the drawing that Austin was. When Austin beat his wife he was pretty much out of the WWE at that point and didn't come back for at least a year later. You can't compare that to the current LHW champion who drunken crashed his Bentley than claims hes a role model. Besides, Austin got nowhere near as an important sponsorship on the level of Nike.

Lol so it's okay because he wasn't as popular anymore? You can't be a halfway moralist. If you are going to hold someone to these standards you can't excuse them for someone else just because you like him more. That's what makes Punk (and you) a hypocrit. The same company who signs Punk's pay checks employs a ton of criminals, drug users and wife beaters. Punk himself makes money by working with them. He makes a video about how disposable Chris Brown is for beating up a woman then says how it would be a dream to work a match with Stone Cold. Punk's employer STILL makes money using Stone Cold's beer guzzling image. Where's the twitter outrage from him there?

Lol so it's okay because he wasn't as popular anymore? You can't be a halfway moralist. If you are going to hold someone to these standards you can't excuse them for someone else just because you like him more. That's what makes Punk (and you) a hypocrit. The same company who signs Punk's pay checks employs a ton of criminals, drug users and wife beaters. Punk himself makes money by working with them. He makes a video about how disposable Chris Brown is for beating up a woman then says how it would be a dream to work a match with Stone Cold. Punk's employer STILL makes money using Stone Cold's beer guzzling image. Where's the twitter outrage from him there?

Totally different situations. Like I said before, SCSA was not in the company when this happened nor was getting sorts of sponsorship deals. WWE has always had different contracts than the UFC in terms of character. WWE owns part of the Stone Cold name, its in the contract. If Vince wants to make easy money off Stone Colds name than thats on him by selling SCSA DVD's and T shirts. I would hardly say Stone Cold was rewarded. I am sure if Stone Cold beat his wife when he had the title he would have been suspended and stripped of the belt, just like RDV was for smoking weed with Sabu.

The last wife beater/criminal that WWE had was Beniot and they try to erase him from existence. Vince doesn't sell ANYTHING with his name on it. Completely blacklisted.

I am not saying the UFC should ban Jones or strip him of his title AT ALL. I want him to fight. Its Nike who should evaluate on who they find are role models for its brand.

Totally different situations. Like I said before, SCSA was not in the company when this happened nor was getting sorts of sponsorship deals. WWE has always had different contracts than the UFC in terms of character. WWE owns part of the Stone Cold name, its in the contract. If Vince wants to make easy money off Stone Colds name than thats on him by selling SCSA DVD's and T shirts. I would hardly say Stone Cold was rewarded. I am sure if Stone Cold beat his wife when he had the title he would have been suspended and stripped of the belt, just like RDV was for smoking weed with Sabu.

The last wife beater/criminal that WWE had was Beniot and they try to erase him from existence. Vince doesn't sell ANYTHING with his name on it. Completely blacklisted.

I am not saying the UFC should ban Jones or strip him of his title AT ALL. I want him to fight. Its Nike who should evaluate on who they find are role models for its brand.

Lol yeah Beniot was erased for wife beating, not that whole murder suicide thing, right? Doesn't matter if Vince makes money off scumbags, Punk works for Vince. He helps scumbags get work and get paid. Why doesn't he call them out right alongside Chris Brown and Bones jones? And stop using the word "rewarded". Jones didn't get his Nike contract because he drove drunk anymore than Stone Cold got his WWE contract for beating his wife. Bones made a very stupid mistake, just like many of Punk's industry friends and peers have done, yet he doesn't call them out and say they should no longer be allowed to make a living. Does he call SinCara or Randy Orton out on twitter every time they fail drug tests yet continue making millions from the WWE?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Bye RBelong.

Awesome. CM Punk is blasting Jones on his Nike sponsorship on twitter. War Punk. People should not be rewarded for drunk driving.

Did Rampage lose any sponsorships after his... rampage?

Lol yeah Beniot was erased for wife beating, not that whole murder suicide thing, right? Doesn't matter if Vince makes money off scumbags, Punk works for Vince. He helps scumbags get work and get paid. Why doesn't he call them out right alongside Chris Brown and Bones jones? And stop using the word "rewarded". Jones didn't get his Nike contract because he drove drunk anymore than Stone Cold got his WWE contract for beating his wife. Bones made a very stupid mistake, just like many of Punk's industry friends and peers have done, yet he doesn't call them out and say they should no longer be allowed to make a living. Does he call SinCara or Randy Orton out on twitter every time they fail drug tests yet continue making millions from the WWE?

Bones made a huge mistake yes, but I think Nike should have held off a bit before they signed him and let people forget on this incident. It looks bad when 3 months ago he got into a drunk driving accident with 2 women and UFC LHW champion just gets a huge endorsement deal with a company like Nike so soon. Punk wont call out his peers for drugs, thats common knowledge as they all work for the same company, besides we all know Vince is a scumbag and drugs get passed in that locker room like Melina Perez. Some are safe and others aren't. Its a shady business.

To me drunk driving is the lowest of the low. Its very selfish and puts people in way to much danger. Can you imagine if anybody got hurt or killed?

Bones made a huge mistake yes, but I think Nike should have held off a bit before they signed him and let people forget on this incident. It looks bad when 3 months ago he got into a drunk driving accident with 2 women and UFC LHW champion just gets a huge endorsement deal with a company like Nike so soon. Punk wont call out his peers for drugs, thats common knowledge as they all work for the same company, besides we all know Vince is a scumbag and drugs get passed in that locker room like Melina Perez. Some are safe and others aren't. Its a shady business.

To me drunk driving is the lowest of the low. Its very selfish and puts people in way to much danger. Can you imagine if anybody got hurt or killed?

You know what does get people hurt and sometimes killed? Wife beating. You awknowdge that Punk won't call out coworkers and peers. That proves my point. He only puts morals on a pedastal when it won't affect his bank account or hurt his career. If that's the case he should just keep his mouth shut altogether otherwise he's a coward and a hypocrit and his words carry no weight. You won't get me defending Bones actions just because he's a favorite of mine.

The trouble with Triggles:

mmamania.com said:
Former UFC welterweight and one-time MMA commentator Frank Trigg has been arrested on charges of battery domestic violence with strangulation. Prommanow.com was the first to report the news.

Trigg was being detained at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada on a bond of $15,000. However, he has been released with the payment of the bond, MMA Fighting has learned. His court arraignment is scheduled for Friday, August 10th. Trigg's particular charge carries a potential jail sentence 1 to 5 years in Nevada state prison, and a mandatory fine of $15,000.

It is not known what information or actions prompted yesterday's arrest. Attempts to reach Trigg and his management were not immediately returned.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

igyooOEt8IY0a.gif

Kudos to Bendo and Frankie for classing things up and wearing nice suits.

Unrelated, Umbereem trying to get his license early. Via mmania ...

"A very important factor is my license. I'm not yet licensed to fight, so, of course, the UFC cannot promote anything. I gotta get my license first, and I'm able to re-apply for my license in December, late December -- a couple days before the fight, but, we have a strategy. We're gonna go in front of the commission sooner, with the argument of good behavior. We have been doing random tests on our own, and these were all witnessed by an independent doctor. I think we will get a license sooner, maybe a conditional license, where I'd have to appear and do some random tests."

"We have a set date. This month. Nothing is confirmed. We're gonna try and get it, and hopefully we will. If we're lucky, we're gonna get it."

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter

"A very important factor is my license. I'm not yet licensed to fight, so, of course, the UFC cannot promote anything. I gotta get my license first, and I'm able to re-apply for my license in December, late December -- a couple days before the fight, but, we have a strategy. We're gonna go in front of the commission sooner, with the argument of good behavior. We have been doing random tests on our own, and these were all witnessed by an independent doctor. I think we will get a license sooner, maybe a conditional license, where I'd have to appear and do some random tests."

"We have a set date. This month. Nothing is confirmed. We're gonna try and get it, and hopefully we will. If we're lucky, we're gonna get it."

Go, go Cleanereem!

ShaneB

Why is everyone talking about OT4 already? I mean, with nerd chat, and everyone getting banned, OT4 is like 3 years away.

Heel

I vote to send dream and my estranged friend Chamber off the island. Let them make OT4 now, and by the time were forced to join them McKayla will be 18 and we can attempt to forget this ever happened.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I vote to send dream and my estranged friend Chamber off the island. Let them make OT4 now, and by the time were forced to join them McKayla will be 18 and we can attempt to forget this ever happened.
You have my support. We need to quarantine them or else this vile virus will keep spreading and destroy us all.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Shot down already: http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/1...o-way-for-alistair-overeem-to-apply-early-for

But I'm pretty sure that Keith Kizer will change his tune once Zuffa accountants give him the bottom line on what a JDS vs. Overeem match is worth.

GungHo

I hate youtube clips because I can't tell if someone's being funny until I get home. At least let it be a good GE song.

GungHo

Is the fear gone?

It wasn't until recently that I learned that the song & video were Yason Bourne Identity before there was a Yason Bourne Identity.

DKehoe

But I'm pretty sure that Keith Kizer will change his tune once Zuffa accountants give him the bottom line on what a JDS vs. Overeem match is worth.

The exact same as Cain/JDS.
Explained a few days ago by Dave Meltzer on the Wrestling Observer site

It is to the commission and the state's benefit to have big fights and Junior Dos Santos vs. Overeem is a big fight. But Dos Santos vs. Overeem or Dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez (the alternative) on 12/29 are both big fights, likely to draw the same sellout either way.

Both will easily generate the same cut of tax on PPV ($50,000 upper limit), so this is not turning down a fight that will make the state more money like nixing a Floyd Mayweather fight would be. A heavyweight title fight is happening either way and will draw well either way. The same money is being generated in the state with either opponent.

One could argue Overeem would draw more on PPV, and I believe that's true but not a lock. Velasquez drew far more against Brock Lesnar than Overeem did. Velasquez had the huge advantage of it being a title fight. Overeem had the advantage of the holiday weekend but the disadvantage of it being on a Friday instead of a Saturday.

Velasquez has the ability to draw from the Hispanic demo that UFC is usually weak in, but does great for his main event fights and would generate far more Hispanic media. But Overeem has a physical impressiveness and would be better at building the fight. Plus he will work it as a grudge match, which Velasquez and Dos Santos probably won't do with each other.

Top Bottom