• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Salazar

Will you be teaching "Are You My Mother?" too?

Nope, just Fun Home. Which I really like. The point of the class will be largely to explain some of the ways in which graphic fiction can appropriate and repurpose the techniques of prose novels - to get the students to contemplate and suggest some gestures, effects, or forms that might be closed off to it. And Fun Home is an excellent work to look at, really; there's something of a cadence to the tiny deadpan moments of humour as you move from box to box, really. Which tends to nudge its character towards verse, almost: towards the tactical play of readerly expectation that you don't really (unless you are Wodehouse, maybe) get in the regular prose sentence.

dream

Nope, just Fun Home. Which I really like. The point of the class will be largely to explain some of the ways in which graphic fiction can appropriate and repurpose the techniques of prose novels - to get the students to contemplate and suggest some gestures, effects, or forms that might be closed off to it. And Fun Home is an excellent work to look at, really; there's something of a cadence to the tiny deadpan moments of humour as you move from box to box, really. Which tends to nudge its character towards verse, almost: towards the tactical play of readerly expectation that you don't really (unless you are Wodehouse, maybe) get in the regular prose sentence.

The specifics slip my mind right now, but I'm almost positive Scott McLeod and Sara Van Ness (in Watchmen As Literature) have some really interesting insights on the role of framing and transitions in comics. Might be worth taking a look at their stuff to see if you can add anything to your lecture.

What class is this for?

Salazar

What class is this for?

Just a general Contemporary Fiction course. The text selection really is a miscellany - to the extent that I have my doubts about its coherence and virtues as a course*. But there are entertaining patches, I suppose, and Fun Home is good stuff.

*I mean, perhaps the idea is to communicate the diversity of form and style out there in the late 20th century. But that's kind of a bland point to make over a semester.

dream

I'm totally intrigued by this just because you're teaching Bechdel. Any chance I could take a peek at the syllabus?

Salazar

I'm totally intrigued by this just because you're teaching Bechdel. Any chance I could take a peek at the syllabus?

Well, the reading list is

Ian McEwan: Atonement
J.M. Coetzee: Disgrace
Alison Bechdel: Fun Home
Robert Adamson: The Goldfinches of Baghdad.
Jennifer Egan: A Visit from the Goon Squad
Chris Cleave: Gold

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
baby jay am cry
YlrVq.png

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Great. Now we ain't gonna get shit out of Curitiba tomorrow without getting a bunch of attitude. Thanks Oribe Peralta.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Okay he has shit defense and is going against the second best striker in the world.
Yeah, it might last a bit longer but ultimately, Cain is getting knocked out again. Hopefully Junior doesn't break a hand on Cain's skull so the Overeem fight can happen quickly.

TheNatural

My Member!
Bendo once again proves he truly is preaching the Word of God:

Stephie Daniels: Professional boxing allows for 36 minutes of competition in a title fight. Would you like to see MMA offer seven round fights, to give 35 minutes of competition for it's title fights?

Benson Henderson: I would be cool with it, absolutely.

Lets do it. Can't say I would want to see Mir vs. Barnett in a seven rounder, but the champs themselves are in good shape and 7 rounders would be awesome and basically match boxing.

Besides, UFC has way too much fucking free PPV time, they could fit them all on. Do it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Lets do it. Can't say I would want to see Mir vs. Barnett in a seven rounder, but the champs themselves are in good shape and 7 rounders would be awesome and basically match boxing.

Besides, UFC has way too much fucking free PPV time, they could fit them all on. Do it.

No.

No thanks. Most 5 round fights fall in one of two camps: The bad ones where 2 extra rounds would be horrible, and the good ones, where guys are way to spent to go another 2 rounds.

Top Bottom