• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

hL7mA.gif

Fact: Denholm Reynholm was the funnier boss.

Interesting comments from Sonnen here. I wonder if he knows something or if he's just running his mouth ...

Sonnen predicts the future to ESPN (via Sports Radio Interviews):

"I’ve got an agreement to fight a gentleman named Forrest Griffin on December 29th but I don’t know. Jon Jones has a date on September 22nd and right now he’s fighting Vitor Belfort. Vitor never shows up, Vitor has pulled out of way more fights than he has ever shown up for so if I had to guess you’ll be seeing me fight Jon Jones on September 22nd. If I was to tell Jon Jones something, I would tell him I’ve got good news and I’ve got bad news. Good news Jon the first punch that I throw at you might not land. The bad news is there are going to be five more coming right after it."

sonnen-whoops.gif

Anderson's still waiting for the five more.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Love it when someone lays it out so eloquently and instead of just cussin like Dana actually clearly lays out how Jones really did fail to give them the support they've given him.
Rashad Evans: Jon Jones 'Owed It To The UFC' To Take Chael Sonnen Fight At UFC 151

Quote:
"You have a tremendous responsibility as the champion. You are the champion of the UFC. Not only that, you became champion of the UFC through circumstances like this. You had the opportunity to fight for someone that was injured. He stepped into a fight, after I got hurt, so he stepped in for me to fight Shogun. So, he was rewarded by the very process of somebody stepping in to take a fight. So, he owed it to the UFC to take the fight. Not only that, he owed it to all the other fighters on this card who are going to be missing paydays because of that.

And lets not talk about how the UFC has done so much to make him the face of the UFC. They sponsored him. Everything he's gotten is because of the UFC, the whole Nike endorsement and everything else like that, has all been because of the UFC. When he got in trouble a few months back, it was the UFC who stood behind him and kind of made it go away relatively quickly. So, for him to turn his back on the UFC is very hard to believe, for one, but it's just disappointing. I'm sure one day, when he has the time to understand the ramifications of his decision, he's is gonna think, 'Wow. What did I really do?'

Love it when someone lays it out so eloquently and instead of just cussin like Dana actually clearly lays out how Jones really did fail to give them the support they've given him.
Rashad Evans: Jon Jones 'Owed It To The UFC' To Take Chael Sonnen Fight At UFC 151

Quote:

Jones stepped in for Rashad on a months notice, not 8 days. Jones is more than willing to fight anybody the UFC wants him to fight with proper notice and prep time, hence him taking the Vitor fight. This part seems to go over everyone's head.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Gomi will be fighting Mac Danzing on the Macau card. I hope Gomi can get a nice tko in this one

I still can't get over the fact they've booked nine fights without a single Chinese fighter. Especially if you believe the UFC marketing spin that the entire point of the card was to establish a beachhead (of sorts) to the Chinese market.

Unless of course at the last minute they add a rush of Chinese fighters to Facebook prelims or some shit.

I'm still considering going to the event though. Anyone know anything about where/when I can buy tickets?

Nobody has yet to explain to me why a fighter needs ANY notice if both fighters are getting the same amount of notice. Especially since JBJ is supposed to be this naturally gifted fighter. 8 days 8 years what's the difference if both fighters have the same prep time?

What? Is he writing a paper on 18th century agrarian society in England? No. He's punching people in the face. Before anyone says I have no reference, I was a old school sparring partner for PKA kickboxers in the late 80's and early 90's. Yes I'm old.

JBJ is not a fighter. He should find a job behind a desk with Greg Jackson telling him how to file his papers. I hate all this ducking fighters nonsense. Legacies are not built by having a perfect record. Name your favorite fighter. Do you like them because of wins vs. losses? I hope not.

Nobody has yet to explain to me why a fighter needs ANY notice if both fighters are getting the same amount of notice. Especially since JBJ is supposed to be this naturally gifted fighter. 8 days 8 years what's the difference if both fighters have the same prep time?

What? Is he writing a paper on 18th century agrarian society in England? No. He's punching people in the face. Before anyone says I have no reference, I was a old school sparring partner for PKA kickboxers in the late 80's and early 90's. Yes I'm old.

JBJ is not a fighter. He should find a job behind a desk with Greg Jackson telling him how to file his papers. I hate all this ducking fighters nonsense. Legacies are not built by having a perfect record. Name your favorite fighter. Do you like them because of wins vs. losses? I hope not.

Get the fuck out of here with this shit. "JBJ is not a fighter". You sound like an ignorant Tapout wearing meathead. These guys aren't cockfighters. If you want that go watch some BAD-MMA or old ToughMan competitions. I, for one, want to see two guys at their best. If, for Jones, that means he needs time to prepare for a specific opponent, then so be it. He's been one of the more interesting and entertaining fighters in recent memory, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

ZnqQ5.gif

welcome, friend.

don't take frontrunner ninja scooter's JBJ fanaticism too seriously.

ShaneB

I like you. We'll get along great.

I also like Guild Wars 2, it's good times, and episode 3 of The Walking Dead is out.. well.. technically today. I'm having good times.

Heel, start reading Not Without Hope.

TheNatural

My Member!
Get the fuck out of here with this shit. "JBJ is not a fighter". You sound like an ignorant Tapout wearing meathead. These guys aren't cockfighters. If you want that go watch some BAD-MMA or old ToughMan competitions. I, for one, want to see two guys at their best. If, for Jones, that means he needs time to prepare for a specific opponent, then so be it. He's been one of the more interesting and entertaining fighters in recent memory, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

All this would have a point - if Jones started training 8 days before the fight. He didn't - he was right on schedule, and a hell of a lot more prepared than Sonnen.

The cockfighting comparison is tired. He knew what date he was fighting, and he ended up with a possible replacement who isn't near as good as he's replacing. What part of any of that is some kind of cruel and unusual punishment?

You can make excuses that he's cautious to a fault and a diva, and needs his precious time, that's fine. None of that has to do with some cruel conditions for a fight date he was always set to be ready for. He was ready to go in at his best the entire time.

All this would have a point - if Jones started training 8 days before the fight. He didn't - he was right on schedule, and a hell of a lot more prepared than Sonnen.

The cockfighting comparison is tired. He knew what date he was fighting, and he ended up with a possible replacement who isn't near as good as he's replacing. What part of any of that is some kind of cruel and unusual punishment?

You can make excuses that he's cautious to a fault and a diva, and needs his precious time, that's fine. None of that has to do with some cruel conditions for a fight date he was always set to be ready for. He was ready to go in at his best the entire time.

All I am saying is that if Jon Jones feels that to be at his best, he needs a couple of weeks to prepare for a specific fighter, I don't begrudge that. Maybe not all fighters need that, but to me, with as dominant as he's been he's earned the benefit of the doubt to do it his way, and I don't think he is being unreasonable in that regard. I take issue with people saying shit like he's a "pussy" or "not a fighter". Hyperbolic bullshit like that sounds like it should come from people like War Machine or Dumbshit Dana White.

No Tapout gear, but I did buy MMA Elite underwear for $3

TheNatural

My Member!
All I am saying is that if Jon Jones feels that to be at his best, he needs a couple of weeks to prepare for a specific fighter, I don't begrudge that. Maybe not all fighters need that, but to me, with as dominant as he's been he's earned the benefit of the doubt to do it his way, and I don't think he is being unreasonable in that regard. I take issue with people saying shit like he's a "pussy" or "not a fighter". Hyperbolic bullshit like that sounds like it should come from people like War Machine or Dumbshit Dana White.

OK if you believe that diva crap about being his best, which he was anyway because he was fighting that date, and has to do all these useless Jackson cult crap to hype himself up then that's one discussion.

It's a complete other one to say its human cockfighting or all this other shit to ask a guy to fight on the date he was scheduled to fight on. Where he stepped in the cage against Henderson, Sonnen, Machida, or Vitor this weekend - his physical condition is going to be EXACTLY the same. Nothing at all put him at some sort of physical danger or disadvantage by fighting, so none of that is relevant.

I've watched guys on Friday Night Fights take actual boxing fights on a week notice or less for chump change of a few hundred bucks. This shit is incredibly common on the amateur/early pro level, but for some reason when a fighter, boxer, or whatever get a few mil in the bank - suddenly they're better than anyone else and every single thing has to be on their terms or they just won't fight. And it has absolutely zero to do with safety, only being cautious to a fault to protect their image, record, or whatever else.

If you're in shape, you've had ample training, and are ready to fight there's no reason whatsoever to back out from a date you're scheduled on, period. He was schedule to fight a wrestler with a vicious right arm - to being offered a wrestler who has no standup whatsoever.

He wants to decline it, then fine, but lets not act as if it was putting his safety in more danger than it was before or not understand why most people have lost respect for him.

Heel

lol bunch of armchair trainers in this thread. Stick to watching the fights you're all way out of your element on this one. This may be your entertainment but it's their livelihood.

lol bunch of armchair trainers in this thread. Stick to watching the fights you're all way out of your element on this one. This may be your entertainment but it's their livelihood.
how hard is it to tell your fighters to avoid anything that presents even the smallest amount of risk and if you can't stand with a guy or take him down, just run away?

Top Bottom