• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I love uninformed opinion circle jerks. 'Hi im a tool!' 'Hi im an imbacile, have you met my good friend total fucking idiot and his wife a huge retard?'

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

well i'm sure I'd get banned by posting my reply in the actual thread...
so I'll have to see how insular MMAGAF really is..cuz the only response to this comment has to be

tumblr_lr3vaj0SUn1qcshtk.gif

Well, that's not exactly what drea... I mean, Meltzer, said:

"Curiously, on 8/17, Jones was on the Abe Kenan radio show and the host brought up Sonnen on twitter. He went off on how Sonnen isn’t talking his way to a title match and even said he complained to Dana White about it. The host said he should fight Sonnen, saying Sonnen has nothing for him, he’d make more money than with any other opponent and would shut him up. On that day, Jones said that he’d face Sonnen any time."

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Fair warning guys: Stay out of the obesity/homophobia and Father and Son skirt wearer threads. Just from the titles I get bad vibes.

Browsing on my tablet along with being lazy, I just avoid threads like that. I hate typing more than 5 sentences on this touchpad or my iPhone.

748107_o.gif
at those ignorant comments in the MMA ignorance thread. Reason above is why I haven't popped in, but I see MMA-GAF setting people straight.

I sat through an uninformed discussion on mma at my new job today. I didn't contribute since I just started. Actually I probably wouldn't have said anything even at my old job, cuz almost everything said was wrong, except that someone said mma is pretty much two half naked guys hugging each other. That person might be a gaffer so I will let it slide.

I sat through an uninformed discussion on mma at my new job today. I didn't contribute since I just started. Actually I probably wouldn't have said anything even at my old job, cuz almost everything said was wrong, except that someone said mma is pretty much two half naked guys hugging each other. That person might be a gaffer so I will let it slide.
Yeah when you're outnumbered by uneducated dumbshits it's best to keep quiet rather than be what's perceived to be a smartass.

Anyone have any YouTube channels to recommend for weekly Thai tv (and I've noticed Khmer language too) Muay Thai fighting? Basically all the major Thai tv channels air weekly long ass blocks of local Muay Thai fights. I've found some channels with broadcasts a few months old, but nothing recent. Still it's better than someone streaming and needing to record it back a few years ago.

Also can someone explain what the happened to K1 and FEG. I know they both closed down (only finding out recently since I haven't been following MMA and kickboxing like I used too.) But is anyone trying to carry on even just K1s lineage or is the Japanese large scale mma and kickboxing scene dead?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Jon Jones is such a pusillanimous.

gotcha..tho not sure I needed to. but i'm probably looking at the whole thing from the wrong perspective.
No I agree with you. It's very offensive that they're trying to imply that MMA is gay. Not because I think its bad to be gay. I think they're trying to imply that MMA is bad becase it's gay because they think gayness itself is bad. It's not-so thinly veiled homophobia/gay-bashing on their part, and it's unacceptable.

Browsing on my tablet along with being lazy, I just avoid threads like that. I hate typing more than 5 sentences on this touchpad or my iPhone.

748107_o.gif
at those ignorant comments in the MMA ignorance thread. Reason above is why I haven't popped in, but I see MMA-GAF setting people straight.
I'm ok with ignorance. Ignorance can be overcome through enlightment. Dumbass is to the bone.

Jon Jones is such a pusillanimous.

No I agree with you. It's very offensive that they're trying to imply that MMA is gay. Not because I think its bad to be gay. I think they're trying to imply that MMA is bad becase it's gay because they think gayness itself is bad. It's not-so thinly veiled homophobia/gay-bashing on their part, and it's unacceptable.
More so doesn't that usually get someone an insta ban pretty much on any other subject?

I can't wait for 152 just to hear the crowd boo Cen...I mean Jones out the gate. Its gonna remind me of ECW ONS when RVD won the title . The crowd will be hot for Vitor.

I can't wait for 152 just to hear the crowd boo Cen...I mean Jones out the gate. Its gonna remind me of ECW ONS when RVD won the title . The crowd will be hot for Vitor.

Any outcome favors Jones though. Either he keeps winning and people pay to see him finally lose or he loses and finds redemption. Then he can start on a path back to the title which should get people to like him.

I can't see Vitor coming close to winning since he's only got a puncher's chance and Jones has elastic limbs which will keep Vitor at bay.

Any outcome favors Jones though. Either he keeps winning and people pay to see him finally lose or he loses and finds redemption. Then he can start on a path back to the title which should get people to like him.

I can't see Vitor coming close to winning since he's only got a puncher's chance and Jones has elastic limbs which will keep Vitor at bay.

His only chance is to say "Fuck it, GO FOR BROKE" in the opening and bum rum him for an early blitz for a 30 second TKO victory. Thats the only way he wins is to take him by surprise.

Anyone have any YouTube channels to recommend for weekly Thai tv (and I've noticed Khmer language too) Muay Thai fighting? Basically all the major Thai tv channels air weekly long ass blocks of local Muay Thai fights. I've found some channels with broadcasts a few months old, but nothing recent. Still it's better than someone streaming and needing to record it back a few years ago.

Also can someone explain what the happened to K1 and FEG. I know they both closed down (only finding out recently since I haven't been following MMA and kickboxing like I used too.) But is anyone trying to carry on even just K1s lineage or is the Japanese large scale mma and kickboxing scene dead?
Most Muay Thai shows these days (at least the ones that get promoted here in the US) just stream online.

As for K-1 and FEG, FEG had huge financial issues and wasn't paying their fighters, either on the K-1 side or the DREAM side. This was happening pretty much since late 2009. They tried to get a cash infusion from a Chinese company called PUJI but it ended up falling through because PUJI apparently required for some of the top leadership to exit the company which was a dealbreaker. Not too long after the 2011 NYE show FEG officially went under, DREAM ceased to exist and some outside entity basically bought the K-1 name and other K-1 assets.

This new K-1 put on its first show back in May in Madrid with Badr Hari headlining and lots of other good fighters on the card, many of whom were borrowed from It's Showtime. K-1 apparently had difficulty paying the It's Showtime fighters and since then, those guys along with anyone signed with Golden Glory have been pulled from K-1. It's Showtime and Golden Glory announced that they were going to merge and become their own kickboxing promotion and they now have damn near all of the top fighters in the HW and MAX weight classes.

K-1 meanwhile, has an event slated for September 9th in LA which has a USA Grand Prix starring Rick Roufus, Seth Petruzelli and a bunch of other cans. They also cut a deal with Spike and similar to Bellator, all K-1 shows for the remainder of 2012 will stream from Spike.com and then come 2013 will be shown on Spike TV.

I will not be watching this event in any capacity that allows the UFC (and Jon Bitch Jones by extension) to make money from my viewing of it. That douche.

Most Muay Thai shows these days (at least the ones that get promoted here in the US) just stream online.
Sweet any links? The only reason I asked for YT is that I can download it and watch it on the commute were streaming can be iffy.

As for K-1 and FEG, FEG had huge financial issues and wasn't paying their fighters, either on the K-1 side or the DREAM side. This was happening pretty much since late 2009. They tried to get a cash infusion from a Chinese company called PUJI but it ended up falling through because PUJI apparently required for some of the top leadership to exit the company which was a dealbreaker. Not too long after the 2011 NYE show FEG officially went under, DREAM ceased to exist and some outside entity basically bought the K-1 name and other K-1 assets.

This new K-1 put on its first show back in May in Madrid with Badr Hari headlining and lots of other good fighters on the card, many of whom were borrowed from It's Showtime. K-1 apparently had difficulty paying the It's Showtime fighters and since then, those guys along with anyone signed with Golden Glory have been pulled from K-1. It's Showtime and Golden Glory announced that they were going to merge and become their own kickboxing promotion and they now have damn near all of the top fighters in the HW and MAX weight classes.
Well hopefully for them Badr Hari stays out of jail, man is such an idiot (http://www.thefightnerd.com/k-1-lists-badr-hari-on-final-16-in-spite-of-current-prison-stay/)

Any idea when they would put their first show on?

K-1 meanwhile, has an event slated for September 9th in LA which has a USA Grand Prix starring Rick Roufus, Seth Petruzelli and a bunch of other cans.
Ruh-roh Flashbacks starting to appear
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite!!_USA lol

Then again I wasn't there like I was for Elite XCs...lovely event. Granted I got to meet Marc Coleman and I have a Metal Gear Solid Novelization signed by Matt Hughes. lol

They also cut a deal with Spike and similar to Bellator, all K-1 shows for the remainder of 2012 will stream from Spike.com and then come 2013 will be shown on Spike TV.
The HDNet deal terminated with the puchase I guess?

Thanks!

ShaneB

Someone do some research for me since I'm at work (but not really working I guess..I just dont want to look it up myself), find out the deaths of people on the golf course akin to getting hit by lightning, compared to mma fighters that have died, and show that to those ignorant fucks.

edit: Also, I posted a full fight! Much more meaningful than a handful of gifs!

I figured I'd do a new post for this, but did I ever talk about this sweet piece of swag I got?
o7jHhl.jpg

Nothing beats the Fist of the North Start Boxset signed by Barnett when I interviewed him. I was able to show up at Trump Tower and convince the Affliction Affliction that I was member of the press and get issued press credentials (which wasn't a lie, just the part about applying for them and being promised them). Got to be there for the press event and interview Josh. Jay Glazer tried to cut in front but Josh said I was waiting here first. Jay wasn't being a dick, I just didn't think he noticed I was there.

I also accidentally hit Matt Lindland in the head with my bookbag I had with me. lol I apologized when he pointed it out and he laughed saying it was okay.

Man was that a fun time.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im torn between my love of trolling beta gaf and my disdain for beta gaf. Yacofriend. I fear I may be joining you in the big octagon in the sky soon.

Top Bottom