• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Overeem mysteriously getting smaller
281y2r7.jpg
Thats photoshopped.

Middleeasy ran the story too.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
real pic
4bcb619ca43111e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

you can see how baddly they shopped it by the straight grey line on the mat..warping under alisters arm where they tried to thin him up

dream

Hey, I just wrote an essay on the Ultimate Hall of Fame in the hopes that it will spark some interesting discussion in UFC-GAF

The announcement of Tito Ortiz going into the UFC Hall of Fame the day before what is billed as being his final match has led renewed talks about what is the Hall of Fame.

It’s a question UFC itself wrestles with. The idea has been talked about to try and copy the WWE WrestleMania formula, with the annual early July show, with a Fan Expo and eventually an annual Hall of Fame ceremony. Of course the problem is that the UFC style of MMA is less than 19 years old, so it’s not like you can induct a group every year and still maintain any level of credibility.

Ortiz becomes the ninth person put in, following Mark Coleman, Randy Couture, Royce Gracie, Matt Hughes, the late Charles “Mask” Lewis (the only non-fighter, the creator of the “Tapout” clothing line who was instrumental in sponsoring fighters in the early days of the sport), Chuck Liddell, Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock. Of those, few would argue strongly against any of them, so this is not about who is in. In fact, few would argue against Ortiz.

Ortiz fought his entire career in UFC, debuting in 1997, and when he faces Forrest Griffin in the final fight of his current contract, it will be his 27th fight in the UFC, an all-time record. Outsiders could argue that a 16-10-1 record should hardly be Hall of Fame material, let alone that Ortiz has only had one UFC win since late 2006. He’s also never been the same fighter he was before he suffered bulging discs in his lower back in 2003, which took away from his bread-and-butter takedown game, and continued to fight through the sometimes crippling pain.

He was one of the biggest drawing cards in company history, particularly in 2006, perhaps the single most pivotal year in the growth of the sport. UFC established itself that year as the biggest PPV provider in the world, built around Ortiz doing big business with the likes of Forrest Griffin, Ken Shamrock and Liddell. With Ortiz as the catalyst, the UFC record number for buys went from 425,000 to 775,000 to 1,050,000–the latter being a number that has still only been surpassed a couple of times in history.

Ortiz’s other credential was being light heavyweight champion from April 14, 2000, when he decisioned Wanderlei Silva, until losing on September 26, 2003, a 41-month reign that included five defenses, both records until the era of Anderson Silva.

Right after the announcement, Frank Shamrock said that the Hall of Fame wasn’t credible unless he was in it. I immediately expected a deluge of people who weren’t around during his heyday and only know him as an announcer or for his last few fights, to talk about somebody being arrogant or delusional. But almost nobody did. The response, almost unanimously, was that in fact, that’s correct.

And to an extent it is. Shamrock and Pat Miletich are the two names brought up the most. Shamrock should be a no-brainer. As far as being a truly successful champion, his credentials for the UFC Hall of Fame are stronger than brother Ken, even if he wasn’t the star or drawing card (which is more due to timing than ability, as on an even playing field, Frank would outdraw Ken and the vast majority of fighters, as he’s right near the top when it comes to fighters in history with the understanding of how to build up a fight), Coleman and Severn. Plus, his title reign in many ways was far more impressive than that of Ortiz. Shamrock also finished Ortiz, giving up a minimum of 25 pounds in the cage that night, late in the fourth round of a 1999 fight for the title, which at the time was considered the greatest fight in UFC history.

What made Shamrock’s reign so impressive is that he was a guy who had to stuff himself with food to get up to 192 pounds, fighting guys who were cutting from 215-220 to make 199 (the weight class limit at the time). In the Ortiz fight, he looked two weight classes smaller than the guy who went on to dominate the division. Shamrock was the sport’s biggest star in the U.S. in 1998 and 1999, but that also coincided with UFC being banned from PPV, let alone having no television coverage. Still, his fights were doing 0.45 percent buy rates in the places (limited to Dish owners for the most part) that they were available. Keep in mind with all the huge increases in popularity and exposure, today many PPVs don’t hit that percentage and the ones that do are headlined by current superstars. He still holds the record with four submission wins in his five title matches, and he’s the only person in history to have won two championship matches in less than one minute. He also “unified” the Extreme Fighting Championship and UFC world titles in the under-200 pound weight class, finishing EFC champion Igor Zinoviev when that group was the No. 2 promotion in the U.S. and had just gone out of business.

Still, it will surprise me if that day will come, due to personal animosity between Frank Shamrock and Dana White. And until that happens, every year, he’ll be the name pulled out when people want to criticize the idea of the UFC Hall of Fame. Essentially they were on opposite sides of a promotional war that ended, and White’s side won by purchasing the company. But to the few fans who actually followed the history, none of that matters when things like Hall of Fame or greatest match in history discussions are done.

Miletich to me isn’t a no-brainer, but if you throw in that his camp for years was considered the best in the U.S. a one point, producing champions like Hughes, Jens Pulver and Tim Sylvia as well as stars like Robbie Lawler and Jeremy Horn, you can make a good case. He was the first 170 pound champion, then called lightweight division, now welterweight. He was lucky to have beaten Mikey Burnett in the fight to determine the first champion. That fight saw him hold Burnett by the shorts (legal at the time) to neutralize him and win a decision that could have gone either way since it was a boring fight where neither man had any real significant offense. And in the days of non-exclusive contracts, Miletich lost three times outside the organization (including to pro wrestler Kiyoshi Tamura) while he was UFC champion. But he was a pioneer in the sport, and like with Ken Shamrock, the early guys tend to have an easier time being considered legends.

Many years back, when there was talk of having an MMA writers organization, one of the things under discussion was voting on a Hall of Fame. At the time, we did an Observer MMA Hall of Fame, similar to the pro wrestling one. For a number of reasons, the response and interest wasn’t there at the time, and when the idea of a writers Hall of Fame came up, I didn’t sense much of a reason to continue. But the entire writers organization never got going.

At this point, UFC has never inducted any fighters based on anything but UFC accomplishments, although I suppose you could argue Coleman winning the 2000 Pride Grand Prix tournament didn’t hurt his case. But in time, I’d expect UFC to induct Wanderlei Silva and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and if that’s the case, it was each man’s run in Pride that was a lot more impressive than anything they did in UFC. But that would open up questions. With Pride, you then, for any legitimacy, would have to induct Kazushi Sakuraba, who I think nobody in UFC would be against if that door is open. But then you’d also have to induct Fedor Emelianenko, or again, it would be a joke. And that would be tougher on many levels

There are also a couple of names that get brought up when it comes to controversy, none more than David “Tank” Abbott and Brock Lesnar. Abbott had a 10-14 record, and none of the ten guys he beat ever did anything in MMA. To me, he’s not even close, in the sense how could you even consider him. But he did get the biggest pop and had a certain charisma about him where he’d come out and the whole arena would be on their feet the entire fight. He was among the most famous fighters of the pioneer era, and people do argue his case with the familiar “But he’s Tank,” argument.

While there have been far more skilled one minute fights, I’m not sure I’ve seen one that captured a UFC crowd like his loss to Don Frye. When the TV show “Friends,” then among the hottest shows in the country, did a UFC themed show where Monica (Courtney Cox) was dating a wannabe UFC fighter, Abbott was cast as the adversary. At the time, that episode, done because several cast members loved watching the PPVs, was considered a gigantic step for an underground sport.

Lesnar was 5-3, all of his losses (Cain Velasquez, Frank Mir, Alistair Overeem) coming to legitimate superstars. While UFC was criticized for putting him in what was essentially a four-man tournament to determine the real champion in 2008 and 2009, because he was only 2-1 at the time, he beat Randy Couture and Frank Mir to legitimately win the tournament and become the bona fide UFC world heavyweight champion. He was, by far, the biggest PPV draw in the history of the sport. He made the company tons of new fans, although many of those fans probably left when he retired. He was also 4-1 at the time he contracted Diverticulitis, but the Hall of Fame shouldn’t be about “What ifs.”

Then there’s the other aspect of the Hall of Fame. What about the real pioneers? Does Helio Gracie belong? Bruce Lee? Antonio Inoki (whose support of the early Pride shows were a bigger part of them getting over than anyone, and he did fight Muhammad Ali, in what some call, probably mistakenly, the first MMA match in history)? Satoru Sayama, who promoted the first attempt at something approximating MMA? Rickson Gracie? Nobuhiko Takada, who was a poor fighter, but he was the reason Pride ever got off the ground? Akira Maeda, who never had a real fight but his pro wrestling matches set the stage for everything that transpired, from K-1 to Pancrase? Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki? Karl Gotch?

So going through all that, this is how I’d categorize people based on a combination of ability and influence:

Have to be in: Fedor Emelianenko, Kazushi Sakuraba, Randy Couture, Royce Gracie, Dan Henderson, Matt Hughes, Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, Dana White, Helio Gracie, Lorenzo Fertitta, Joe Silva, Joe Rogan

Leaning strongly toward being in: Masakatsu Funaki, Ken Shamrock, Antonio Inoki, Bas Rutten, Mirko Cro Cop, Urijah Faber, Don Frye, Forrest Griffin. Brock Lesnar, Carlson Gracie, Tito Ortiz, B.J. Penn, Shogun Rua, Frank Shamrock, Gina Carano, Kid Yamamoto, Rorion Gracie, Marc Ratner

Worth debating the merits: Satoru Sayama, Josh Barnett, Mark Coleman, Rashad Evans, Rich Franklin, Euclides Periera, Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Pat Miletich, Frank Mir, Dan Severn, Bob Meyrowitz, Naoto Morishita, Akira Maeda

Names talked about to be in that I’d argue against: Nobuhiko Takada, Tank Abbott, Andrei Arlovski, Murilo Bustamante, Vitor Belfort, Kenny Florian, Jon Fitch, Takanori Gomi, Renzo Gracie, Mark Kerr, Bob Sapp, Jake Shields, Josh Koscheck, Matt Lindland, Minoru Suzuki, Guy Mezger, Carlos Newton, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Jens Pulver, Kevin Randleman, Pedro Rizzo, Marco Ruas, Maurice Smith, Oleg Taktarov, Tim Sylvia, Evan Tanner, Miguel Torres, Caol Uno, Matt Serra

Names to watch out for but it’s far too early: Jose Aldo Jr., Dominick Cruz. Junior Dos Santos, Frankie Edgar, Jon Jones, Alistair Overeem, Cain Velasquez, Benson Henderson, Cris Cyborg

From a UFC Hall of Fame standpoint, I would hazard a guess Fedor isn’t going in, Sakuraba is a maybe, as he’s got no U.S. name but they also have nothing against him, and own the Pride tape library that features his greatest matches and his run that made Pride huge for its run. Dan Henderson, Wanderlei, Anderson, GSP and Nogueira are all locks I would think. Anderson, GSP and Dan Henderson for sure, but I don’t see them holding the fact that Wanderlei and Nogueira didn’t dominate in UFC since they were past their prime to hold back that they were legends and everyone in UFC for the most part liked them.

I sense White is like Vince McMahon. He’ll either be put in upon retirement, or if he doesn’t retire, he won’t want to be in for a long time.

On list two, Funaki, Inoki and Yamamoto would be no’s since they were all legends only in the Japanese market. Rutten is a maybe. He only had two fights in UFC and none in Pride, but has a great record in Pancrase and was already 35 and filled with injuries when Pride started taking off. Lorenzo Fertitta was such a huge fan of Cro Cop that I think he’s a probable even though his UFC run was a huge disappointment, but the same would go for Wanderlei Silva, who really did nothing major of note in UFC although he at least was a drawing card early on. Faber I think is close to a definite because they’ll credit him, and rightfully so, with putting the 135 and 145s on the map. Frye is a possibility. Griffin would be a lock, because of the importance of the Griffin vs. Bonnar fight, winning the first TUF, being a big drawing card and eventually becoming an over achieving world champion. I sense Lesnar would be a lock but not for many years. Penn would be a lock. Rorion is a possibility and Frank Shamrock would depend on whether they want a Hall of Fame with some credibility or one that will be regarded as the family and friends Hall of Fame because it’ll always have the black eye if he’s not in it. That’s a decision they’ll have to make. Carano would be a no in a UFC Hall since she never worked for UFC.

On last three, Sayama, Barnett, Meyrowitz and Morishita I don’t see in a UFC Hall of Fame. Franklin I see as a sure thing for a UFC Hall of Fame, because he’s been such a team player, moving weight classes and taking so many fights when the company has needed him, and he was also a champion and one of the most popular fighters when UFC hit television, who may have had an even longer run on top had Anderson Silva not existed. Franklin hasn’t had a title shot in years and probably never will get another, but I can’t see them not recognizing him.

Evans is a probable. Jackson I don’t know. They’ve always catered to him, and he was a star who drew. He did beat Liddell for the light heavyweight title when it was UFC’s marquee belt and won a close decision over Dan Henderson as champion in a match that drew huge ratings. Aside from that, his big credential was being in the most successful non-title match in history with Evans, arguably the best promoted grudge match in company history, although he lost that fight and it was lackluster. Machida depends on the numbers game. If they expand to induct multiple people per year, Machida is going in. At one a year, maybe not. Miletich I don’t see as much of a longshot as Shamrock since he’s been far more political, but I don’t see him as a lock either.

Mir I could see either way. At the end of the day, he did win the title and the interim title. He headlined the company’s biggest show ever but it just depends on the level you go with the Hall of Fame. He’s neither a bad pick nor someone I’d say was a lock. I know he and White have been on bad terms at times, but I see him as a possibility.

Another question is that this is a sport and not a performance, so how do you take the drug issue? How do you take the guys who did fail (Josh Barnett, Vitor Belfort, Cris Cyborg, Kevin Randleman, Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Alistair Overeem)? There are some sports Halls of Fame, baseball in particular, where it looks like the writers won’t vote in people linked to steroids publicly, but will have no problem doing so with those who probably used but were never caught in any manner.

But once you go down that road, do you then become hypocritical and pretend others were clean because they never failed, or were in their heyday in an environment where there was no testing?

The latest ESPN Magazine in its debate issue, asked the question whether steroid users belong in Halls of Fame. This was not limited to baseball, where the writers have made it a major issue and you have legitimate all-time greats whose numbers are so far beyond Hall of Fame level like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens who may be excluded. In a completely unscientific study, they asked essentially people on the street at sports bars, fans at games, high school students, athletes, football coaches and others. Every single group voted that those who used steroids should not be in sports Halls of Fame except ESPN on-air talent and MMA fighters, coaches and students at Jorge Rivera’s Gym in Milford, MA.

What about guys who participated in worked fights? In a real sport, if you fixed a game, nothing could be worse and you’re almost surely not getting into the Hall of Fame. Pete Rose can’t even be in the baseball Hall of Fame because he bet on the game, and it’s routine for fighters in Las Vegas to bet, sometimes large sums of money, on fights with nobody batting an eye or caring, so baseball standards of conduct are very different than those in MMA. And then, what about worked fights that were mandated by the company people were working for at the time? What about when it was a pro wrestling company at heart is doing shoot fights and worked fights and you’ve done both, do what you’re told, but the audience isn’t told the difference? Did you fix fights, or just do pro wrestling? Is working fights okay because of the nature of the sport, particularly on the Japanese side where the link to pro wrestling is stronger? Is it different if it’s on a U.S. MMA show that is regulated than an unregulated Japanese show. And if you then throw in that it’s okay if it’s unregulated, then you have the argument about how much of wins earned in unregulated fights, where steroid use was rampant, and in some cases there are worked fights or planned finishes, should count for and against you.

There are not easy questions to answer. I think most would agree it is preposterous to ban someone from the MMA Hall of Fame if they did pro wrestling matches on pro wrestling shows, as much as it would be preposterous to ban them for doing fight scenes in movies. But the world isn’t as open-and-shut. What about those who participated in worked fights in Pancrase, RINGS and Pride where the public knew no different? Virtually all of those worked fights were arranged by the promotion itself. If you say that’s okay, then what about worked fights on small U.S. shows, or agreed upon fights, which are alleged to have happened once or twice, on UFC shows?

The thing is, it’s not intentionally taking dives that would be part of the list of guys we are talking about, but many of them at one point or another did do worked fights, whether it was worked shoot style pro wrestling, working fights on MMA shows that the office wanted a certain result in and that was your job, or shows that were neither MMA nor pro wrestling but something in between and each match was different?

Also, what do you do about Gina Carano and an MMA Hall of Fame? She is not a Hall of Fame fighter in any way, but as far as influence, she has to be a slam dunk. As far as drawing power, she has a good case. Then you get to Kimbo Slice, who drew record TV ratings, but even so, the fighting ability to me takes him out of any consideration. And then if we’re talking a drawing power Hall of Fame, you open it up to Bob Sapp, who did incredible television numbers and was the hottest star in the sport at one point, but I don’t think anyone would consider for an MMA Hall of Fame. In talking Carano, while she was a trained fighter and had a ton of charisma, she never won the title and she’s more a draw than an awesome fighter.

But Sapp, even more than Akebono, is the extreme. He had more fame in his heyday in Japan than every UFC fighter in the U.S. combined, and the spectacle of seeing him drew tens of millions of television viewers, more than any U.S. fighter could ever touch, Lesnar included. But he’s clearly the farthest thing from a Hall of Fame level fighter.

But to me, Carano should be strongly considered for an MMA Hall because if it wasn’t for her, women’s fighting would not be on the major league stage today. UFC didn’t believe in it. The only reason Showtime had it was because Gary Shaw begged to get Carano on the first show, and they were dead set against it. Shaw put up a big fight and it came down to, they could go in the opener but if they didn’t deliver, Shaw could never bring the subject up again. Then they stole the show, and that was Carano.

That’s all just some of the reasons that make trying to do an MMA Hall of Fame so difficult.

I also got this figure for Natch:

The official numbers for the 6/1 show at the Pearl at the Palms, the Ultimate Fighter final, was 954 paid, 1,628 total fans (500 shy of a full house) and a gate of $195,250.

dream

And here's some other stuff I've been brainstorming:

In Sports Business Journal, Lorenzo Fertitta estimated that UFC revenue right now comes 90% from North America, but he said he spends 65% of his time working on foreign markets, believing that’s the future. WWE has been cultivating international for years thinking that’s where the potential big growth is, and they are still only hovering about 25% revenue overseas and I think the WWE product exports better because it’s simpler for masses, is stronger on television, and has appeal to those under 16, which UFC doesn’t seem to hit. What will be interesting is the UFC philosophy of getting on television in the market and then believing running the market with live events regularly will build the market up. WWE’s philosophy is different, not wanting to run even lucrative markets more than twice a year (granted they will run multiple shows on a tour but that’s the nature of the product) for fear of burning out the market.

The camp of Maynard apparently filed a protest against Guida’s wild hair to the New Jersey Athletic Control Board last month. Rather than go through the mockery of a hearing on whether or not Guida would be able to have his hair flying around, which, if anything, only gets in his own way, he agreed to braid his hair like a lot of the women do and Urijah Faber has done. This way Guida wouldn’t have an official ruling against his hair like that for future fights, unless more of his opponents protest. Nick Lembo said in the article regarding Guida, “He doesn’t want to do it, and I don’t believe he’s 100% happy about it, but he’s being very understanding and very cooperative about it and he agreed to it. Otherwise, if he said, `No, I’m not going to do that,’ we’d have to have a hearing on it and let both sides present their case and have a commissioner’s ruling on the issue.” Maynard’s camp theoretically protested that Guida’s hair could be a distraction to him and thus give Guida an unfair advantage in the fight. The crazy part of this is that after the story got out, Maynard claimed no knowledge of this, and that he never protested Guida’s hair. If that was the case, why would the commission say his side did, and why would Guida have been told? I guess we’ll find out on Friday based on how Guida’s hair looks, because it was clear he wasn’t happy about changing his trademark hair, but would do so to avoid the mockery of a hearing on the subject. I can’t believe something this ridiculous happened.

The 6/23 Brazil main card is Wanderlei Silva vs. Rich Franklin, the TUF Brazil middleweight final with Serginho Moraes vs. Cezar Mutante, the TUF featherweight final with Rony Jason (Rony Mariano Bezerra) vs. Godofredo Pepey (Godofredo de Oliveira), Fabricio Werdum vs. Mike Russow and Yuri Alcantara vs. Hacran Dias. Prelims are on FX and among those fights would be Rodrigo Damm vs. Anistavio Medeiros, Francisco Drinaldo vs. Delson Heleno, Hugo Viana vs. John Texeira, Leonardo Mafra vs. Thiago Perpetuo, Wagner Camps vs. Marcos Vinicius and Milton Vieria vs. Felipe Arantes. I think everyone, including UFC, is painfully aware that the numbers here will be at or lower than the lowest numbers for any PPV since 2005. Between a one match show, and a match between guys with names but a fight people haven’t been hyped for at all, and an undercard of fighters nobody knows besides Werdum, who has on paper almost a squash match opponent, and being two weeks before the biggest show of the year, from Brazil with no U.S. media hype, no countdown show, and the day after a free show, this has far too many negative elements as far as getting people to buy. Aside from airing TV commercials, I’ve seen little in the way of hype for it from UFC. In the middleweight final, Daniel Sarafian, who made it to the finals, had to pull out due to an arm injury. I think that’s the first time in TUF history that someone who made it to the finals didn’t fight. Sarafian beat Moraes in the semifinals, and Moraes was the one chosen for the opening. Most of the undercard consists of fighters from the show, which is only two weeks in on Fuel in the U.S., and I doubt anyone is watching it there given we get no feedback from the show at all. When UFC made the announcement about the change in the middleweight final, they announced refunds would be available for three days. The show is really a live show on Globo, Brazil’s top network. The impression I have is there is no concern over the number in the U.S. because they realize all the things this show has working against them.

Alistair Overeem on Twitter wrote that he would be fighting in December. This is a tricky one. He is not suspended, but his license was turned down by the Nevada commission. They gave him a special dispensation that instead of having to wait one year, he could apply in nine months. That ends on 12/27. So Nevada would have to have a meeting between 12/27 and 12/29 to approve him for the last show of the year on 12/29. The point being that UFC would, if he’s going to fight on 12/29, have to spend two months advertising a fight involving a fighter who does not have a license, and has a history of shadiness regarding the necessary battery of drug tests he’ll have to take before being licensed. Lorenzo Fertitta then said UFC would not advertise or book Overeem in a fight until he’s licensed, so that makes March or more likely target date since they like to get two months lead time in promoting main event matches.

Demetrious Johnson got good news on 6/18, and that is he won’t have to undergo surgery for a hernia this week as he thought. A second diagnosis of his painful injury was that he had swollen testicles, but not a hernia. UFC had been hoping to get the Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez fight in September, but Johnson hasn’t committed to a date. His hands are still hurting from the fight with Ian McCall on 6/8 and he’s getting them X-rayed on 6/20, and depending on the damage level, he’ll probably be able to figure out when he can fight again. He said that he didn’t want to agree to a date and then have to pull out because he hadn’t fully recovered.

Jose Aldo Jr. is currently looking at fighting in October after his recent thigh injury. The plan is to keep the Aldo Jr. vs. Erik Koch match at that time.

The 7/7 show will have a six-fight main card instead of five fights. That was always the plan as when the original idea was to have it be like a UFC 100 type loaded show, they had booked an extra hour, listing the show from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. The extra time was because with five matches, and two potential five-rounders, and at the time they figured Urijah Faber vs. Dominick Cruz was likely to go five and Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen based on the first fight also could go five, they may go over three hours. So they booked an extra hour and to fill the time, added another match. So the PPV has Silva vs. Sonnen, Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin, Cung Le vs. Patrick Cote, Demian Maia vs. Dong Hyun Kim, Chad Mendes vs. Cody McKenzie and Ivan Menjivar vs. Mike Easton.

UFC, being on ESPN U.K., has a far smaller television viewership than WWE & TNA in that market. At first, that deal was said to be good because they were going to air everything live, although live in the U.K. means 2 a.m. and that limits your audience as well. ESPN is a pay-TV channel, similar to Showtime or HBO, as opposed to what it is in North America. As far as the major shows go, the three biggest this year were the Nick Diaz vs. Carlos Condit fight (58,000 viewers), the January FOX show with Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis (55,000) and the Evans vs. Jon Jones (50,000). UFC 146 with Junior Dos Santos vs. Frank Mir had only 38,000 viewers. Two shows, the ones headlined by Martin Kampmann vs. Thiago Alves and Dustin Poirier vs. The Korean Zombie, did 10,000 or less. Keep in mind that knowing people in the TV industry in the U.K., single ratings aren’t really paid close attention to because their monitoring system is considered not nearly as accurate as that in the U.S. (Which makes sense because their numbers vary so greatly while U.S. TV numbers don’t traditionally vary that much).

Shogun Rua said that Dana White made up the story about him saying he’d rather be cut from UFC than fight Glover Texeira. He said neither side ever brought up the idea of being cut. White actually never claimed Rua said it, but that it was his management that said it. They also denied it. We don’t know if the line was said. White is insistent it was. But we do know Rua’s camp did turn down the fight.

Tom Lawlor signed a four-fight contract extension.

A group making international waves is One Fighting Championship, looking at being the major group in the Asian market. They have a ten-year contract with ESPN Asia and Star Sports, which puts them in 28 countries that have a total of 56% of the world’s population, most notably India and China. Their next shows are 6/23 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with Renato Sobral, Masakazu Imanari and Roger Huerta. They also run 8/31 in Manila, Philippines and 10/6 in Singapore. Their shows will all be airing as iPPV’s on their OneFC.com site. Their marketing plans are to run 18 shows in 2013 and focus on developing Asian talent from all different countries so they have local stars everywhere they run.

TheNatural

My Member!
Hey, I just wrote an essay on the Ultimate Hall of Fame in the hopes that it will spark some interesting discussion in UFC-GAF

I also got this figure for Natch:

The official numbers for the 6/1 show at the Pearl at the Palms, the Ultimate Fighter final, was 954 paid, 1,628 total fans (500 shy of a full house) and a gate of $195,250.

Thats pretty crappy. Thanks for the info.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
At least Fedor isn't looking emaciated like he did against Hendo.

Trying to keep up with MMA news in Australia without regular functioning internet access is about as effective as a Werdum double leg. From a quick search it seems that any fight that gets announced or even rumoured is jinxed with injuries, Barao is finally getting a title shot, Mir fared as well as anyone expected him to and Jones earned himself another controversial disqualification. One can only hope that Ultimate Fighting doesn't become as predictable nside the Octagon as it does outside.

TheNatural

My Member!
At least Fedor isn't looking emaciated like he did against Hendo.

Trying to keep up with MMA news in Australia without regular functioning internet access is about as effective as a Werdum double leg. From a quick search it seems that any fight that gets announced or even rumoured is jinxed with injuries, Barao is finally getting a title shot, Mir fared as well as anyone expected him to and Jones earned himself another controversial disqualification. One can only hope that Ultimate Fighting doesn't become as predictable nside the Octagon as it does outside.

Huh? Maybe you should recheck some of your sources.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Have to be in: Fedor Emelianenko, Kazushi Sakuraba, Randy Couture, Royce Gracie, Dan Henderson, Matt Hughes, Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, Dana White, Helio Gracie, Lorenzo Fertitta, Joe Silva, Joe Rogan

Leaning strongly toward being in: Masakatsu Funaki, Ken Shamrock, Antonio Inoki, Bas Rutten, Mirko Cro Cop, Urijah Faber, Don Frye, Forrest Griffin. Brock Lesnar, Carlson Gracie, Tito Ortiz, B.J. Penn, Shogun Rua, Frank Shamrock, Gina Carano, Kid Yamamoto, Rorion Gracie, Marc Ratner

Would say Griffin, Ortiz, Fatty and Shamrock should be in the Have to be in category.

Heel

I wouldn't base it solely on his fighting career, although he did smash unstoppable era Miletich, another arguable hall of famer.

Maybe I'm missing an obvious joke or something but dream do you actually write those essays? I thought you were copying/pasting from somewhere.

agrajag

Banned
real pic
4bcb619ca43111e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

you can see how baddly they shopped it by the straight grey line on the mat..warping under alisters arm where they tried to thin him up

here's a more recent pic still:

Av4OYsYCEAIuJJb.jpg

MMA fans read into Overeem's photos too much. Whether he's on horse juice or not, fighter's bodies fluctuate depending on many factors. He wouldn't loose that much muscle mass in such a short amount of time. Besides, why in the world would he stop juicing now when he's not getting tested by the commission? It's a perfect time to get in as much juice as he can.

here's a photo of him at the Strikeforce weigh in when he fought Rogers:

Alistair-Overeem.jpg
omg so small!

MMA fans read into Overeem's photos too much. Whether he's on horse juice or not, fighter's bodies fluctuate depending on many factors. He wouldn't loose that much muscle mass in such a short amount of time. Besides, why in the world would he stop juicing now when he's not getting tested by the commission? It's a perfect time to get in as much juice as he can.
Agree completely but Reem tweeted recently that he's submitting to testing now to show everyone he's not juicing.

agrajag

Banned
Agree completely but Reem tweeted recently that he's submitting to testing now to show everyone he's not juicing.

Yeah, I know. But if he was on roids, he planned for this test (I guess that's a test he's taking somewhere on his own initiative, not mandated by the athletic commission), so he safely cycled off. It's not like he's quit the horse juice cold turkey and is rapidly losing mass.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Miletich to me isn’t a no-brainer, but if you throw in that his camp for years was considered the best in the U.S. a one point, producing champions like Hughes, Jens Pulver and Tim Sylvia as well as stars like Robbie Lawler and Jeremy Horn, you can make a good case
If we're going by camp impact, I'd put Greg Jackson in before Pat. Pat may have been an early pioneer, but MMA looks like it does today largely because of Greg Jackson's deconstructive approach. And, with Mask, they've already opened the flood gate to bring in people who have never competed.

There are also a couple of names that get brought up when it comes to controversy, none more than David “Tank” Abbott and Brock Lesnar
Tank will never be inducted. The feed store crowd has already been placated with Matt Hughes.

Worth debating the merits: Satoru Sayama, Josh Barnett, Mark Coleman, Rashad Evans, Rich Franklin, Euclides Periera, Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Pat Miletich, Frank Mir, Dan Severn, Bob Meyrowitz, Naoto Morishita, Akira Maeda

Names talked about to be in that I’d argue against: Nobuhiko Takada, Tank Abbott, Andrei Arlovski, Murilo Bustamante, Vitor Belfort, Kenny Florian, Jon Fitch, Takanori Gomi, Renzo Gracie, Mark Kerr, Bob Sapp, Jake Shields, Josh Koscheck, Matt Lindland, Minoru Suzuki, Guy Mezger, Carlos Newton, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Jens Pulver, Kevin Randleman, Pedro Rizzo, Marco Ruas, Maurice Smith, Oleg Taktarov, Tim Sylvia, Evan Tanner, Miguel Torres, Caol Uno, Matt Serra

Names to watch out for but it’s far too early: Jose Aldo Jr., Dominick Cruz. Junior Dos Santos, Frankie Edgar, Jon Jones, Alistair Overeem, Cain Velasquez, Benson Henderson, Cris Cyborg
I'd put Brock in the watch category.

I'd put Griffin, Bas, and BJ in the must category.

I'd demote Fedor to debate... mostly because it's Dana's show and I don't see him not being an ass. Tito he had to give on, but Fedor hasn't done shit for Zuffa. I'd also think hard about whether or not Zuffa is going to acknowledge Sakuraba. I don't know about Faber... he's kind of on the edge of "watch" and "consider" for me. He seems like a young man, but that's just appearances.

I'd add Shinya Aoki into the debate if you are factoring in PRIDE peformance. And I'd add (and I regret saying this) Nate Diaz into the watch.

Top Bottom