• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

Purist

Neo Member
mescalineeyes said:
my advice: wait for a patch and then pick it up from the bargain bin/used.

That's what I was hoping to do originally. But you know how hard it is to resist day 1 hype. Sony even emailed me this morning (with a non-working "xxx-xx-xxx" code). Haha!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nyx said:
Unsold ey ?

Maybe I should tell once more that this game is AWESOME.

Biggest surprise of the year, for me at least.

Game may be awesome, but not $60 awesome until they fix the issues that people are discribing in here.

Good thing I waited to see what LBP2 does. By the time they iron these issues out (if ever) LBP2 may be out, or this game may be a cheap diversion while waiting for LBP2.

The only thing that needs fixing is the patch as people were talking on mic yesterday in the modspot, otherwise it is "game of the year" as they said...

I'll get back to it soon, I need a break from racing games, Split/Second then this, lol. I wanna platinum it but it seems hard

Nyx

TheSeks said:
Game may be awesome, but not $60 awesome until they fix the issues that people are discribing in here.

Good thing I waited to see what LBP2 does. By the time they iron these issues out (if ever) LBP2 may be out, or this game may be a cheap diversion while waiting for LBP2.

To each his own, you wait, I play, everyone happy. :)

Liberty4all

Banned
My impressions:

Game is a definite "must buy" in my books. I LOVE the racing mechanics ... racing style is closer to Mario Kart ... reminds me very strongly of Super Mario Karts on the SNES in terms of racing and drifting mechanics.

Awesome thing is that there is ALOT of strategy involved while on the course. Drifting fills up a "drift bar" on the right. You can use energy from the drift bar to

1. boost
2. Put up a shield to protect from weapon fire
3. side swipe opponent as you pass using right stick

How you use your drift bar WILL make the difference between victory/defeat. Alot of strategy in deciding how to use energy in your bar, when to conserve, and which option to use it for.

The nice thing about the drift bar is that it means if you are in first it's not a "foregone" conclusion you are going to be cheaply knocked out of first by weapons fire.

I love how they handled the weapons in game. There are a number of different types (trubo boost, missles, sonic boom, lightening) ... each of the weapons has 3 levels (so if you pick up a 2nd power up it strengthens the weapon in your arsenal). Thing is though, if you get hit by another weapon, you lose whatever weapon you have. Strategy again, use weapon or try to save up for an uber weapon?

The campaign is cute and has had me laughing so far at the story. Game has tokens hidden around the track to keep you coming back for more and each track has 3 sub goals to achieve which give you unlock-ables. Definitely lots of re-playability. Track design is great, single player you'll have alot of fun with while learning how to race for when going online.

As for online?

OMG

Think Chromehounds level of customization in terms of designing a racer and kart (although limited to the "look" of your kart/racer rather than stats). I've already made a Ms. Pacman (helmet says pac attak lol) -- http://community.modnation.com/en-us/creations/207554

Spent a good hour fiddling around making my Ms Pac Man. Kart creation is similarly fun.

As for track creation? fucking amazing. I went online for abit and ended up on this track filled with jumps, ramps, even shorcuts. I had NO IDEA until the end it was a user map not a professional one from the game.

The track mods alone will make the game worth the price of entry, being able to download unlimited amounts of user content ... think Super Mario Karts but with unlimited track options and you are the right path. Even if you don't like building tracks yourself, the community will be sure to provide unlimited content for pretty much forever.

So uh yeah, awesome title well worth it.

I should also add that the loading times are atrocious ... aside from that awesome title.

edit: am I incorrect about the stats thing?

Pretty much agree with your impressions. I haven't been trying to say people's complaints aren't valid; I'm just saying I feel the game brings so much awesome that outweighs all the flaws (most of which will be patch fixed anyway).

I don't think individual karts/mods have different stats. It's just about aesthetics.

Liberty4all

Banned
I just love that the game has a Mario Kart feel but is FAR more strategic thanks to the drift bar ... "stupid" losses (drop from first to last) just don't happen in multi-player unless you fuck up ... if you lose it's usually your own fault not due to some uber weapon.

No45

Bamelin said:
edit: am I incorrect about the stats thing?
Not quite. You can globally change the preference of your kart stats between speed and handling.

Pretty much agree with your impressions (The drift bar you mention is the boost bar though and takes other things, such as drafting and getting air into consideration). At the moment it has its flaws, but I definitely don't regret picking it up. There's so much depth even in the single player that I can see me playing it for many hours in that mode.

HappyBivouac said:
Pretty much agree with your impressions. I haven't been trying to say people's complaints aren't valid; I'm just saying I feel the game brings so much awesome that outweighs all the flaws (most of which will be patch fixed anyway).

I don't think individual karts/mods have different stats. It's just about aesthetics.

Yes you did. Specifically....

HappyBivouac said:
1) Online doesn't even matter. It's a bonus. This is a kart racing game that I can play split screen with 3 friends, has extensive creation tools, and has fun driving mechanics. If online matters that much to you, I'm sure things'll smooth out.

4) Rubberband AI is a staple of the genre and I like it. It's not as bad as you're describing-- the game doesn't magically make the enemy's karts go faster. YOu just need to get better at the game.
"

P.s. rubberbanding does alter the relative speed of the AI based on the position of the player... if you are ahead, they speed up, if you are behind, they slow down... it's called rubberband for a reason.

Nyx

HappyBivouac said:
I'm just saying I feel the game brings so much awesome that outweighs all the flaws.

Agreed 100%.

Shame btw NinjaFusion that you're trading it in, you sounded so enthusiastic last few days with your Blue Sky tracks and all, hopefully we'll see you return someday. :)

kevm3

I don't get why people think this game should sell for less than $60... Countless ways to customize your cart and your actual racer and virtually unlimited tracks. This game is very polished all the way around. As said before, the only real flaw are the load times.

Nyx said:
Agreed 100%.

Shame btw NinjaFusion that you're trading it in, you sounded so enthusiastic last few days with your Blue Sky tracks and all, hopefully we'll see you return someday. :)

Sorry... but the unfair AI, long load times and dead/empty online are not enough to make me keep it... even if the customisation is AMAZING.... and it is amazing.

I played some split/second last night and it match me with a full room in less than 30secs.. and i was in a game within a couple of minutes.

being able to race against people is half the fun in a product like this.

NinjaFusion said:
Yes you did. Specifically.

More specifically I was saying that people are tending to let a few complaints ruin an otherwise really freaking good game. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much. It's your game, so do what you want.

I just hate to see people missing out on this game when they're told the game is completely broken. It's not at all. Most of the issues it's having right now will either be fixed in the very near future or can be attributed to launch week online issues. Also, those people complaining about the AI blow it way out of proportion. Yes, career mode gets challenging, but it doesn't cheat any more than Mario Kart.

There is SO MUCH you can do in this game, it's incredible. And best of all, it's FUN. They've talked about fixing the load times issue shortly after release. After that I can't see having any issue with the game at all. Others might, but I just want people to know that the game has a lot to offer and isn't the broken mess some people are making it out to me.

Ashour

expy said:
My first custom mod~

Rei Ayanami

2v8g943.jpg
OMG. <3

Liberty4all

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
Sorry... but the unfair AI, long load times and dead/empty online are not enough to make me keep it... even if the customisation is AMAZING.... and it is amazing.

being able to race against people is half the fun in a product like this.

But online isn't dead or empty?

I was able to get into multiple matches with ease, full races too with 12 racers. My only trouble was finding xp matches which I think is locked to your modspot instance (this definitely needs to be fixed).

I wonder if it's a regional thing the people saying they are having trouble finding matches. So far on the North America side it's been smooth sailing.

Nyx

Last weekend it was hard to find any online game, but yesterday I've been playing online all night. (Europe)

Nyx said:
Last weekend it was hard to find any online game, but yesterday I've been playing online all night. (Europe)

guess i'll try again tonight but last night i sat in an empty lobby for 20 mins... only one person joined, didn;t have a mic and quit before i could type 'waiting for more players'

Liberty4all

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
guess i'll try again tonight but last night i sat in an empty lobby for 20 mins... only one person joined, didn;t have a mic and quit before i could type 'waiting for more players'

Are you in Europe Ninja?

Also be sure to play in non xp games ... the xp one's are almost always empty (I'm positive this will need to be patched), but non xp matches were swarming with folks last night

AndyD

aka andydumi
Nyx said:

Last weekend was also ahead of the release date thought was it not?

expy

Banned
George said:
how did you manage to do it?
i can only figure out how to do it while im in a car =/

For mods and karts, when you go to the create station, and then either in Mod select or kart select you can choose Photo Mode.

Purist

Neo Member
I ended up buying it. The track creation possibilities are so endless, I was not able to resist. LBP has over 2 million levels, so imagine just how many tracks we'll see with this, especially with such an intuitive interface. If there are online issues, I will attribute that to the first week server overloads. For me, it's about having another great game to play with three others, like Rock Band and LBP.

Glix

Play a couple of single player races last night. I love this game.

Its weird that the game is SO slick, in every way, but the load times are amazingly bad. At least you can change your mod and cart from a shortcut menu in the hub area.

Haha, you think it bothers Sony that the first thing I see in the hub area is a giant Mario statue! :lol

Liberty4all

Banned
Glix said:
Play a couple of single player races last night. I love this game.

Its weird that the game is SO slick, in every way, but the load times are amazingly bad. At least you can change your mod and cart from a shortcut menu in the hub area.

Haha, you think it bothers Sony that the first thing I see in the hub area is a giant Mario statue! :lol

I wonder how they are going to deal with all the copyrighted material. I mean I would guess 80 percent of everything created so far is copyrighted.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Purist said:
I ended up buying it. The track creation possibilities are so endless, I was not able to resist. LBP has over 2 million levels, so imagine just how many tracks we'll see with this, especially with such an intuitive interface. If there are online issues, I will attribute that to the first week server overloads. For me, it's about having another great game to play with three others, like Rock Band and LBP.

I ordered it too. I had some giftcards so it ended up costing $3. Can't go wrong for that price.

Like you said the creation tools will let us make crazy stuff. And even if the online does not take off, the offline split screen will more than make up for it.

netguy503

Bamelin said:
I wonder how they are going to deal with all the copyrighted material. I mean I would guess 80 percent of everything created so far is copyrighted.

Probably same with LBP. MM was very much against it at the start of LBP but somewhere along the line they let it go, probably wisely realizing if they took away too much of people's freedom in a user generated game there game would be DOA before they knew it.

Liberty4all

Banned
netguy503 said:
Probably same with LBP. MM was very much against it at the start of LBP but somewhere along the line they let it go, probably wisely realizing if they took away too much of people's freedom in a user generated game there game would be DOA before they knew it.

I can't see Nintendo letting the Mario mod slide though lol

Glix

Bamelin said:

Is it possible that they fall under the "parody" loophole? Since they are not exact copies, and more, like, cutesy copies?

Bamelin said:

I would assume it is going to continue to be as well. They are making a huge mistake if they try to police it. Leave it be and let the copyright holders come after you, protect yourself with the parody defense.

Didn't this already happen with City of Heroes in Australia?

Purist

Neo Member
Once you've downloaded a Mod or track you can keep it, right? So if they remove it, can we still play it offline? They had to have seen the Mario clones coming. That Mario one is scary close.

Okay, I'm wondering if this is the norm, or if I should be a little concerned about the state of my Blu-Ray drive after having already replaced the laser and getting it to read discs again.

A friend brought the game over to my house, and we're playing local split-screen games. After a race, if we don't just restart it on the same track, there's a long load time. Mind you, I'm not really complaining about the load time itself, since despite being a little annoying, I can live with them, but what's more disconcerting to me (given my aforementioned past problems with my Blu-Ray drive) is that for about half of the 30+ second load times the background music stops playing before finally starting again and getting back to the stage/kart selection screen. I'm just curious as to whether or not this is normal for the game and par for the course with the other loading problems, or if this is an indication that my drive is temporarily failing to read the disc.

ttocs

I would imagine you could use it offline since it's downloaded. What's funny about the Mario one is that it's the top mod at the moment and is broadcasting to everyone along with Spider Man and Iron Man.

Liberty4all

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Okay, I'm wondering if this is the norm, or if I should be a little concerned about the state of my Blu-Ray drive after having already replaced the laser and getting it to read discs again.

A friend brought the game over to my house, and we're playing local split-screen games. After a race, if we don't just restart it on the same track, there's a long load time. Mind you, I'm not really complaining about the load time itself, since despite being a little annoying, I can live with them, but what's more disconcerting to me (given my aforementioned past problems with my Blu-Ray drive) is that for about half of the 30+ second load times the background music stops playing before finally starting again and getting back to the stage/kart selection screen. I'm just curious as to whether or not this is normal for the game and par for the course with the other loading problems, or if this is an indication that my drive is temporarily failing to read the disc.

It's not you, it's normal. The game has abnormally long load times.

edit: I don't think the music cuts out on me while the game is loading though

MarshMellow96 said:
I know this isn't how the world really works, but doesn't MNR essentially give all of those other games free advertising?

This isn't how the world really works. :D Also, if I can have Mario Kart in MNR then why do I need to go out and buy Mario Kart on Wii? Copyright holders want to protect their property and how their characters are portrayed and used in games.

DoctorWho said:
This isn't how the world really works. :D Also, if I can have Mario Kart in MNR then why do I need to go out and buy Mario Kart on Wii? Copyright holders want to protect their property and how their characters are portrayed and used in games.

You're completely right :D

I'd argue that it is the use of a character in a 'different' game setting, but I don't have a leg to stand on I know. You only have to look at Gwen Stefani in GH to see how pissy people are about it (though I'm not sure if spiderman has an opinion).
A little OT but how have the WWE games gotten away with this for so long? Is it due to the fact that characters aren't 'like' Mario' in the sense that they aren't in a game of a similar type (Ex. Paris Hilton in SvR2010 etc..)

Or have I missed the boat and they've already began shutting the created wrestlers down? :lol

slewis7

MrPliskin said:
A guy with the clan I'm in made a really sweet Isaac from Dead Space:

(see image of Isaac in earlier post)

That is awesome and I will look to see if it is shared so I can grab it. I am just bowled over by the mods that are already available. It speaks to the skill of the community and the power of the editing tools.

I just got the game today and I have played a few of the career races and I am loving this so far. The racing is good with fun controls and handling, and the production values are quite high. The loading is long, but it is tolerable and worth it for the experience you get. If they can improve that, this game will be exceptional. I hope it is a big success.

MarshMellow96 said:
I'd argue that it is the use of a character in a 'different' game setting, but I don't have a leg to stand on I know. You only have to look at Gwen Stefani in GH to see how pissy people are about it (though I'm not sure if spiderman has an opinion).
A little OT but how have the WWE games gotten away with this for so long? Is it due to the fact that characters aren't 'like' Mario' in the sense that they aren't in a game of a similar type (Ex. Paris Hilton in SvR2010 etc..)
Well, knowing nothing about any recent iteration of a WWE game over the past five years, one question I would raise is the following: does THQ have a mechanism in place to sell new wrestlers/personalities into the game as DLC?

I ask that because I can foresee two reasons (one internal/one external) why this stuff would be frowned upon. Externally, sure, the direct competition, especially from a first party title, would obviously play a part. I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't be thrilled seeing YouTube videos of a race of ModNation featuring only Nintendo mascots, as this may be confusing to the uninitiated who aren't familiar with the fact that this is user-generated content that is not endorsed in any fashion. Furthermore, they don't want "Wow! I can be Mario! Sweet!" as a selling point for a competitor's first party title.

But don't ignore that, if this goes down the path of Little Big Planet, Sony themselves may not like recognizable characters being featured. After all, they were selling things like Pirates of the Caribbean and Metal Gear Solid themed levels and outfits (plus whatever else they cooked up after I stopped following that scene) as paid DLC. Neither Sony nor the copyright holders are really interested in seeing you playing the game with this free content when they could potentially profit from it.

Top Bottom