• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

is there a way to change a view a bit? its too close to the kart.

I have to admit I thought all the loading complainers were being whiners but after playing the demo...wow this hurts the game a lot. Weapons suck ass but the racing is still a lot of fun.

if the patch really fixes the load time I may consider a purchase. Could use a fun kart type racer and its between this and Blur as the demo for Split/Second didn't do much for me.

Jeels

This will be the first game I buy with my own money. It's perfect too because I'm getting my first ever paycheck on the 24th.

CartridgeBlower said:
This game out "Mario Karts" Mario Kart when it comes to dropping from 1st to 8th in a matter of seconds on the final turn of a race. Oy. Little too hectic for it's own good...

Also kinda sees like every weapon freezes you in your tracks. Not much variety, and it's annoying as hell to ALWAYS come to a dead-stop. Mario Kart gets it right in that most just slow you down, while only the blue shell really stops you completely.

It's called using your shield.

Slaylock

I liked the demo quite a bit. The load times were much better than I had feared based on the reviews. The drift mechanic felt natural and the speed felt about right. I too didn't like how weapons stop you dead, but I can live with it.

Based on the demo, I'm keeping my pre-order.

jett

D-Member
trying the demo out, pretty fun and seems to have lots of personality. those loading times are kinda on the ridiculous side for this small-ish tracks though. that's really the only blemish. creating a character was really cool.

edit: LOL at the hamster engine. that's just awesome.

Seventy5

Played the demo, had a really good time splitscreen with my stepson. He's 10 and even he figured out to pop up the shield when you hear the sound of an inbound weapon. Even knowing full well he can't use them til next tuesday, he spent over an hour making Mods, karts and a track. The load times are a little long, but we were just hitting "repeat race" over and over so it was fine.

Overall, awesome time on the demo and we can't wait to get this next week. He's a racing freak, damn near Platinum on Paradise, and I brought Split/Second home for him today (awesome game IMO), but it was all ModNation after the demo finished downloading. Can't wait to see what the online community creates.

Meohsix

The first Mod i made =D
3589ovd.png

RobbieNick

So....you can't race anything you create in the demo in the actual demo track? WTF?!!

I mean, it's nice to goof around and create something, but the demo already limits you a lot. What would be the harm in racing your creation around the one track available?

RagnarokX

RobbieNick said:
So....you can't race anything you create in the demo in the actual demo track? WTF?!!
Yeah, it's really weird. I suppose it makes sense not to let us race on our tracks in the demo, but the mods and karts?

reKon

Banned
My ModNation Racers Impressions

To start off I want to say that the game has exceeded my expectations in the racing (I've been playing this for 2 hours straight and went through everything in the demo).

How so? The gameplay is pretty much perfect. There are so many options at your disposal and I love how you have to actually use strategy, while racing with these options you have.

Either the people criticizing the gameplay in this just really suck, rushed to review the game, don't get how you're suppose to play the game OR I'm the best fucking modnation racer ever.

I've probably played 20 races (5 of them split screen with my brother and didn't notice anything with the frame rate) and it only took me about 4 races to finally get all the controls down and understand how to drift perfectly. Drifting the first big turn in the modnation demo feels amazing and I don't see what is so difficult about the controls. I will say that there is a lot to learn from doing tricks in the air, to side-swiping, to shielding. You just have to keep racing to learn them. For me the learning curve was about 30 minutes. If you actually try hard you can get 1-4 place against the hardest and 2nd hardest CPU once you nail all the gameplay mechanics down.

Overall, I already feel prepared for the retail version.

I haven't mentioned the obligatory Mario Kart Wii, but compared to MK and other kart racers, Modnation's has a incredible sense of speed and is a little more chaotic and MUCH more physical than the others.

When I boost into a drift and race along the whole track, I always feel like I'm going so fast that I have to be cautious on every turn. Once you get use to it, it the racing feels very nice and exhilarating. You basically feel comfortable hitting that drift going into certain turns. I also mentioned that it's chaotic. Basically what I mean is, when you're racing in a group the computers are insane. Like in Mario Kart, you don't want to be a pack of racers who will use weapons and sideswipe you (especially on the hardest difficulties). The karts have a sense of weight and you when you crash and get bumped around, you really feel that impact compared to Mario Kart Wii. The mods and your mod that you are racing against act very lively and animate to every impact against their kart. The mods are also always trash talking each other through grunts and other expressions while the announcer (kind of annoying) is always running his mouth. Therefore, the game does have some personality. Also, I really love side-swiping people and increasing my meter that way. I've been able to pull off some serious ownage by for example: knocking a mod around by side-swiping a CPU into wall then activating my full shield right before a barrage of missiles rained on me.

I also really enjoy the sound of the weapons and the sound of just smashing into racers and screwing them over. These are some of the touches that enhances the gameplay and fun of the game.

The weapons are indeed powerful, but I've been able to own the CPU by timing my shield usage before I get hit by HOLDING down circle (like I just mentioned). If you're constantly drifting and doing tricks when you're suppose to, most of the time you can defend these attacks. I played the track in the demo enough to know which turns that you should always be drifting on and that before the finish line, you can ALWAYS do a 720 spin and hit that last boost before finishing.

I really like this balance in the gameplay and I know the online racing will be a blast because of the consideration they've put into it. In addition, I played both the pure/action races and they were both a lot of fun. Pure is the one without any items and the gameplay mechanics alone makes pure racing amazing because then you get to focus on using your boosting, side-swiping, drifting, and execution of tricks to help you win. This creates amazing potential for some strategic online racing.

Loading is longer than it should be, but I didn't notice too much because I was restarting races a lot and when you do that, there's no loading. I'm very happy that this going to be patched up too.

Visually, the game looks a lot better when you're playing and watching everything in motion. Since the gameplay is faster, everything is more intense. When you're watching gameplay videos of this online, the gameplay doesn't seem like this even though it is. Gametrailers complained saying that the style of the tracks looks generic. I'm sorry but, when I'm into a racing match against hard CPU's don't really have time to notice the beautifully constructed buildings and the nice lake in background. This game is going to get loads of DLC anyways...

My question is: for the reviewers who negatively criticized the gameplay, how much did they actually bother to learn how to play it properly?

Is it the fact that it wasn't enough like Mario Kart that they felt that it was inferior?

I kind of felt like that many of the reviews just blew off some of the exciting additions to this game and just a lot of aspects for granted.

To me, this demo felt like this was a demo to a AAA game.

To me, the gameplay in this has surpassed Mario Kart.

I haven't even mentioned one thing about the creation aspect of Modnation Racers. This is probably going to be the most fun game I play this year along with Red Dead Redemption and Starcraft II. I don't see how this only has an 81 on Metacritic.

This is the best kart racing game I've ever played next to Diddy Kong Racing and these games are king for their respective times in this genre.

reKon said:
My ModNation Racers Impressions

To start off I want to say that the game has exceeded my expectations in the racing (I've been playing this for 2 hours straight and went through everything in the demo).

How so? The gameplay is pretty much perfect. There are so many options at your disposal and I love how you have to actually use strategy, while racing with these options you have.

Either the people criticizing the gameplay in this just really suck, rushed to review the game, don't get how you're suppose to play the game OR I'm the best fucking modnation racer ever.

I've probably played 20 races (5 of them split screen with my brother and didn't notice anything with the frame rate) and it only took me about 4 races to finally get all the controls down and understand how to drift perfectly. Drifting the first big turn in the modnation demo feels amazing and I don't see what is so difficult about the controls. I will say that there is a lot to learn from doing tricks in the air, to side-swiping, to shielding. You just have to keep racing to learn them. For me the learning curve was about 30 minutes. If you actually try hard you can get 1-4 place against the hardest and 2nd hardest CPU once you nail all the gameplay mechanics down.

Overall, I already feel prepared for the retail version.

I haven't mentioned the obligatory Mario Kart Wii, but compared to MK and other kart racers, Modnation's has a incredible sense of speed and is a little more chaotic and MUCH more physical than the others.

When I boost into a drift and race along the whole track, I always feel like I'm going so fast that I have to be cautious on every turn. Once you get use to it, it the racing feels very nice and exhilarating. You basically feel comfortable hitting that drift going into certain turns. I also mentioned that it's chaotic. Basically what I mean is, when you're racing in a group the computers are insane. Like in Mario Kart, you don't want to be a pack of racers who will use weapons and sideswipe you (especially on the hardest difficulties). The karts have a sense of weight and you when you crash and get bumped around, you really feel that impact compared to Mario Kart Wii. The mods and your mod that you are racing against act very lively and animate to every impact against their kart. The mods are also always trash talking each other through grunts and other expressions while the announcer (kind of annoying) is always running his mouth. Therefore, the game does have some personality. Also, I really love side-swiping people and increasing my meter that way. I've been able to pull off some serious ownage by for example: knocking a mod around by side-swiping a CPU into wall then activating my full shield right before a barrage of missiles rained on me.

I also really enjoy the sound of the weapons and the sound of just smashing into racers and screwing them over. These are some of the touches that enhances the gameplay and fun of the game.

The weapons are indeed powerful, but I've been able to own the CPU by timing my shield usage before I get hit by HOLDING down circle (like I just mentioned). If you're constantly drifting and doing tricks when you're suppose to, most of the time you can defend these attacks. I played the track in the demo enough to know which turns that you should always be drifting on and that before the finish line, you can ALWAYS do a 720 spin and hit that last boost before finishing.

I really like this balance in the gameplay and I know the online racing will be a blast because of the consideration they've put into it. In addition, I played both the pure/action races and they were both a lot of fun. Pure is the one without any items and the gameplay mechanics alone makes pure racing amazing because then you get to focus on using your boosting, side-swiping, drifting, and execution of tricks to help you win. This creates amazing potential for some strategic online racing.

Loading is longer than it should be, but I didn't notice too much because I was restarting races a lot and when you do that, there's no loading. I'm very happy that this going to be patched up too.

Visually, the game looks a lot better when you're playing and watching everything in motion. Since the gameplay is faster, everything is more intense. When you're watching gameplay videos of this online, the gameplay doesn't seem like this even though it is. Gametrailers complained saying that the style of the tracks looks generic. I'm sorry but, when I'm into a racing match against hard CPU's don't really have time to notice the beautifully constructed buildings and the nice lake in background. This game is going to get loads of DLC anyways...

My question is: for the reviewers who negatively criticized the gameplay, how much did they actually bother to learn how to play it properly?

Is it the fact that it wasn't enough like Mario Kart that they felt that it was inferior?

I kind of felt like that many of the reviews just blew off some of the exciting additions to this game and just a lot of aspects for granted.

To me, this demo felt like this was a demo to a AAA game.

To me, the gameplay in this has surpassed Mario Kart.

I haven't even mentioned one thing about the creation aspect of Modnation Racers. This is probably going to be the most fun game I play this year along with Red Dead Redemption and Starcraft II. I don't see how this only has an 81 on Metacritic.

This is the best kart racing game I've ever played next to Diddy Kong Racing and these games are king for their respective times in this genre.

You're getting on people who had negative impressions of the game after a few plays, yet after a similar amount of time you're already proclaiming it the best kart racer EVER?

Me thinks both viewpoints are probably a little "rushed."

reKon

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
You're getting on people who had negative impressions of the game after a few plays, yet after a similar amount of time you're already proclaiming it the best kart racer EVER?

Me thinks both viewpoints are probably a little "rushed."

I am wrong if the gameplay changes substantially from the demo. The thing is: it won't. The gameplay is excellent and some reviews gave a poor indication of how the gameplay is. I find that unacceptable. I'm really getting on the reviewers more than anybody else.

Jokey665

reKon said:
Oh shit a DKR comparison? I was already pretty hyped for this game but saying it's close to as good as DKR is about the biggest compliment a kart game can be given, imo.

reKon

Banned
Jokey665 said:
Oh shit a DKR comparison? I was already pretty hyped for this game but saying it's close to as good as DKR is about the biggest compliment a kart game can be given, imo.

This is in my opinion of course, but saying this based on how the gameplay is (which I know now since I've played the demo) and based on all the track creation and online aspects.

Noshino

reKon said:
This is in my opinion of course, but saying this based on how the gameplay is (which I know now since I've played the demo) and based on all the track creation and online aspects.

Haha, its funny because I was actually comparing it to CTR a few minutes ago.

Anyway, yes, this game is by far one of the best kart racing games I have ever played, everything is just all around smooth, there is a variety of weapons and they are quite easy to use, and the tracks are just great.....

On top of that, you have an editor that is just so easy to use. Im not exagerating at all, with the few tools and resources available on the beta, there were many great creations, characters, karts, and tracks (just ask RagnarokX)

I mean, I took about 15 for each of these

foobur.jpg

10dwmmu.jpg

specially within GAF, there were many great creations.

As someone who considers (and still plays now and then) CTR the best kart racing game ever....well, this one is better

Played and loved the demo, for the most part. The loading might get a touch annoying, and I would have loved to race in my kart and with my Mod. I may pick this up sometime if it's cheap, $30-40. I am a whore for customizing.

reKon

Banned
Keep in mind guys that the loading is one of the first things they are working on fixing in one of the patches after the game comes out.

Got my copy yesterday. The game is fun. I bought it for local multiplayer purposes only and it did deliver. We had some great local two player splitscreen races. Never forget, the race is over when you pass the finishing line. We had a lot of last second wins/losses :D

The single player career took me by surprise. It is actually pleasing. I will play some more of it! It even incorporate a story with some funny dialogs (just played about 45' of the sp). Props to the developer: you can skip any story movie. Thanks for that!

But one thing in this game is just really bad: the loading. Please, get ride of this ridiculous loading times as soon as possible. That really isn't funny!

I downloaded and played the demo today. I spent a bit of time customizing my character, then the kart, then making a track. I found it to be fun, and creating a track with the surroundings is quite simple. I raced against the AI on Easy, and came in second place. Yeah, I pretty much suck at racing, haha. I think this game has personality, and is fun to mess around with. I'm on the fence on getting it anytime in the new few months, though. I just don't know if I will grow tired of this game rather quick or what. I'm not into racing games that much, but with this game I had a lot of fun with, surprisingly. I thought I was going to loathe the racing. I'm going to keep on playing the demo from this day forward. I think some more time with the demo could help me decide if this is a game I want to purchase or what. Also, great OP. ;)

RagnarokX

I put in some more time with the demo. It's nice to see that they listened to some of our big requests.

They added a feature to the track editor that allows you to auto populate scenery and track features separately and on specific parts of the track.

They also added splash effects for driving through water.

Deleting sections of track is now relegated to the delete button instead of being its own brush.

They've added a brush called a reset zone that is similar to track deletion, but it set a respawn point so that if you miss a jump over a track you don't have to go around the track again. Can't use it in the demo but a loading screen explained it.

Also, I noticed a track setting that turns automatic respawning on and off. If this does what I think it does, complicated tracks will be much easier. Though if this is the case, a brush for making reset zones off of the track would be helpful.

MutFox

Banned
This was probably one of my most anticipated PS3 games,
but then I heard about load time issues...

has that been fixed?
If not, I'll wait till it is... :/

I hope to test this out with my nephews tomorrow.I played one game to test how the game plays with my arcade stick(dont have 2 controllers right now).:lol :lol Also found out the game supports custom soundtracks...

CozMick

Banned
Excellent OP V_Ben :D

This game is going to be bloody amazing!

1-2 more days, come on Royal Mail, don't let me down.

Love it, theyve fixed the view allowing you to back off from the kart, the framerate seems alot better than the beta and dear god this out mario karts mario kart with the epic drifting.

sun-drop

wow .. after trying the beta a while back and just flat out HATING the controls .. i just tried the demo and wow ...so much better. maybe i missed something 1st time round but i found this a huge improvement. was there a drift button in the beta?

either way instead of having to tip toe around the track i was just gliding around this time drifting away. so good.

but yeh, impressed.

not sure if i wanna buy a kart racer but if i was givem it as a gift i'd play the fuck out of it no doubt.

gfx are pretty dam slick .. so smooth, and i tried making a simple loop track with some elevation ...the moment you hit that auto populate button ..my jaw was on the floor ..that shit is amazing.

Loudninja

They will have a post launch patch to improve load times
TWO: IMPROVING LOAD TIMES
There have been concerns online about long load times in the final game and while even though UFG improved load times since the beta, they are looking into further optimizing the game via a post-launch patch!
So there you go! See for yourself next week what ModNation is all about.
Stay tuned for more fun stuff on ModNation Monday!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/14/modnation-racers-ps3-demo-hits-psn-may-18th/

kharma45

magicaltrevor said:
My press-kit got delivered today:

modnationpresspack.jpg

Can't wait to give it a try later tomorrow! I had lots of fun with the Beta. :D

Inside, there was also a PSP Review code. I'm going to London this weekend, so maybe I'll take my PSP with me to check that out as well.

I haven't touched my Mod yet inside the press pack, he's still white as snow, too scared of making a mistake when designing him and fucking it up :lol

What's the PSP version like? I gave the PSP review code to a freelancer so never got to try it.

itxaka

Defeatist
So how about the framerate? I saw a tv ad the other day for it with framerate slowdows and was like WTF.

Does it happens normally? only with filled tracks or something?

AgentOtaku said:
Can you map Accelerate to X (or any face button) instead of R2?
Really important as far as me purchasing this
Thanks!

Have to check tonight. The game is at home so my kids can play it. But it should be possible, cause i saw a tab about controller settings.

CozMick

Banned
itxaka said:
So how about the framerate? I saw a tv ad the other day for it with framerate slowdows and was like WTF.

No framerate issues on the demo.

I must say the handling is bloody perfect, infact MNR has MKWii beat in this department.

Drifting is flawless.

kharma45

itxaka said:

I've had only one noticable frame rate drop in the time I've had the game, all the cars were bunched up together and weapons were being fired left, right and centre.

It chugged for about 2 seconds or so and then was fine again.

EDIT - Playing final version.

Darkangus

itxaka said:

No framerate problems were... (final version) :D

I am a big fan of the Mario Kart franchises so I hope this fits my bill. Not saying I am expecting it to be similar ,but good and unique in its own right. Was pretty hyped when I saw the announcement and how accessable the track editor is. So might be getting this pending on peoples impressions. There are too few games like this on the market that aren't terrible.

storafötter said:
I am a big fan of the Mario Kart franchises so I hope this fits my bill. Not saying I am expecting it to be similar ,but good and unique in its own right. Was pretty hyped when I saw the announcement and how accessable the track editor is. So might be getting this pending on peoples impressions. There are too few games like this on the market that aren't terrible.

Its pretty much that mate, mario kart in a hd skin with add lbp awesomeness create features. I have to say im loving the drifting in this, it really does capture that mario kart feeling. I echo cosmicks crys id love remakes of classic mario kart tracks.

supermackem said:
Its pretty much that mate, mario kart in a hd skin with add lbp awesomeness create features. I have to say im loving the drifting in this, it really does capture that mario kart feeling. I echo cosmicks crys id love remakes of classic mario kart tracks.

Well in that regard I will definetly buy this game after 3d dot heroes :D.

Top Bottom