• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

lljride

Tried the demo last night. I was cruising along in 1st place then got pounded by 3 items in a row, dumped into last place and never had a chance after that. Totally forgot about the shields though, so I'll have to try it again at some point. Seemed fun enough up to that point, and I thought the UI for all the menus and character creation was cool.

Probably wasn't going to be a day 1 purchase for me anyway, but I'll definitely try the demo again to see if it's something I'll pick up at the first sign of a price drop.

jett

D-Member
reKon said:
Keep in mind guys that the loading is one of the first things they are working on fixing in one of the patches after the game comes out.

Interested in seeing how much they can optimize their code.

reKon

Banned
Darkangus said:
Press the "O".... :D

Stealth edit: You have to have the turbo bar with some "juice"... =P

don't just tap the shield either. You can HOLD it down for an extended period if your meter is filled up

anyways, I still don't understand how some people are disliking the controls. They are pretty much perfect for drifting. Drifting is so damn easy in the demo that I'm convinced that if you don't get the hang of it after at least 5 races, you just seriously suck at racing games. Please don't disappoint me GAF :lol .

As for driving without the drifting, the controls are indeed more sensitive if you are driving on a straight away, but I still found it very easy to regain control. I've gotten better at sideswiping people and that helps a lot once you get good at it because it adds a good amount to your boost meter.

I feel like this is one of those games that people will either love or just think it's ok, mainly because of control issues they have. It reminds me of how some people didn't like Killzone 2's controls because it felt different from Modern Warfare 1 and therefore they thought the game had sluggish controls. All you had to do was practice playing online and you would get better to the point that you can aim better than people, which puts you a step ahead. You wouldn't have to deal with people being able to spray automatic rifles at you long range and not have any recoil at all...

Have been playing the game today and had a lot of fun. Framerate is much better than it was in the Beta, and connecting/playing with friends works fast and great. Excellent voicechat-quality, too.

My very first Kart :lol

modnation_rodedonder.jpg

reKon

Banned
magicaltrevor said:
Have been playing the game today and had a lot of fun. Framerate is much better than it was in the Beta, and connecting/playing with friends works fast and great. Excellent voicechat-quality, too.

My very first Kart :lol

modnation_rodedonder.jpg

that's a sick looking kart...

I'd make the 2nd color on the seat red though to match the color scheme of the car

kevm3

Nice anti-aliasing in this game. Game is actually much better than I expected, and the loads can be long, but not nearly as bad as I was led to believe... from playing the demo.

Oni Jazar

In case people didn't see it in the last page, you can change the camera angle in the options menu.

I don't like how getting hit will make you drop your weapon.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
RagnarokX said:
Deleting sections of track is now relegated to the delete button instead of being its own brush.

They've added a brush called a reset zone that is similar to track deletion, but it set a respawn point so that if you miss a jump over a track you don't have to go around the track again. Can't use it in the demo but a loading screen explained it.
Where are these tools located? I was trying to figure out how to delete sections of the track but couldn't.

reKon

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
In case people didn't see it in the last page, you can change the camera angle in the options menu.

I don't like how getting hit will make you drop your weapon.

It only drops your weapon one level..

No45 said:
Can you take screenshots directly from the game?

Not at every given moment. But you can in Create mode. The screens will be saved in 720p to your HDD.

reKon said:
that's a sick looking kart...

I'd make the 2nd color on the seat red though to match the color scheme of the car

Thanks!

And yes, I know, but I couldn't. For that item, you can't change the colors =(
At least, I couldn't. Maybe I missed something.

reKon

Banned
magicaltrevor said:
Not at every given moment. But you can in Create mode. The screens will be saved in 720p to your HDD.

Thanks!

And yes, I know, but I couldn't. For that item, you can't change the colors =(
At least, I couldn't. Maybe I missed something.

you can, just hit triangle

reKon

Banned
has anyone figured out how to get a boost in the start? I haven't figured out how you time that.

Also, for those who have already really gotten the hang of this game, what are your best race times.

On pure racing mode, on the highest speed class, with 11 hard computers, my best time so far is 2:01...

kharma45

reKon said:
has anyone figured out how to get a boost in the start? I haven't figured out how you time that.

When the lights go green hit L1. Don't do it before that or your kart effectively stalls.

Tiktaalik

The time between orange and the final green is always slightly randomized so it's not like Mario Kart in that it's a constant timing thing. You gotta wait for the green and hit the boost button then. I think you can just be holding down the gas the entire time as long as you get the boost.

mrwilt

Wow, the drifting is a million times better than in the beta. I'm glad they fixed that because that was the deal breaker for me.

reKon

Banned
yeah i got it. The beginning boost is pretty easy to get because they give a big enough cushion to.

Yesterday I was playing the Sonic All Star Racers (which I downloaded and played first) just to compare. Modnation Racer's driving is definitely better, but funny thing is that after playing MNR so much, it actually made me better in drifting on Sonic All Star Racers. Before hand I was messing up on that demo at times. Since I've gotten use to drifting on every turn all the time in MNR, that habit carried over to Sonic .

BeeDog

Just did a race in the demo. Really fun, actually, and it performs well too (very nice improvement from the beta). Didn't really think much of the load time, but then again, I was sitting next to my PC to pass time. :p

depward

Yeah, they really fixed up the drifting so that it's really fun and easy to do... unlike in the beta (and even in the PSP demo version). I really like that change.

Demo confirmed day 1 purchase. Looking forward to next week!!

iTiki

Neo Member
Has anyone been able to pick this up at Best Buy? I pre-ordered but bestbuy.com is showing it is availible at my local store. I can't call because I'm at work but I may have to swing by there on my way home.

iTiki said:
Has anyone been able to pick this up at Best Buy? I pre-ordered but bestbuy.com is showing it is availible at my local store. I can't call because I'm at work but I may have to swing by there on my way home.

I believe this comes out next week

Slaylock

iTiki said:
This was mentioned in the earlier thread, and based on BestBuy.com the game is available at several BestBuys close to me.

I have this pre-ordered from Amazon, but it would be tempting to get it a week early.

I honestly only like the track creation part. Can't be bothered by the racing part because of the light steering. Drifting feels ok. Character and car creation isn't something for me.

I see that fun can be had in this game. Just not by me.

RagnarokX

FrankCaron said:
Where are these tools located? I was trying to figure out how to delete sections of the track but couldn't.
When editing track styles, hold triangle as you paint over the track instead of X. You can delete sections of track or fences with this.

CozMick

Banned
My copy should arrive in the post in the morning :D

Having 10x the amount of customisation for your mods in the full game compared to the demo is mind boggling.

Liberty4all

Banned
How does the game compare to Sonic All Stars Racing? I really liked Sega's effort, curious how this stacks up.

Already pre ordered modnation racers ... I spent many many hours creating tracks in Excitebike when I was a kid, I hope this brings back that sort of magic.

reKon

Banned
Bamelin said:
How does the game compare to Sonic All Stars Racing? I really liked Sega's effort, curious how this stacks up.

Already pre ordered modnation racers ... I spent many many hours creating tracks in Excitebike when I was a kid, I hope this brings back that sort of magic.

Bitches are complaining about the controls so you'll either be a bitch or you will like the controls. Personally, I played the sonic all stars demo first and found the controls to be solid. Then I went and got the MNR demo yesterday and found the controls to be almost perfect after racing and getting the hang it. I pretty much started drifting on all the turns and now i'm nailing them without hitting walls. After that I went back into sonic and I controls still felt fine, but I actually became better at drifting by being able to control it better because I was playing MNR so long :lol .

MNR isn't as wacky as Sonic Racers, but IMO it offers better gameplay. Even though the weapons aren't like Sonic's or Mario's, they are still fun to use, especially when you get the level 3 missiles and rock the shit out of someone else or the lightning one at level 3. You know shit it going down when you use that weapon and the sky turns pink. Also, it's fun to be rewarded on the meter you have so you can block big incoming attacks. It sucks though when there's a follow up attack, but that hasn't happened to often for me, even on expert.

reKon

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Everything about it seems pretty perfect except the lack of locales right?

yeah, and the music isn't as good as other racers. Everything else is better IMO. I'll just play my own soundtrack when playing this.

As for locales, I bet that they include some more stuff in DLC.

RagnarokX

reKon said:
yeah, and the music isn't as good as other racers. Everything else is better IMO. I'll just play my own soundtrack when playing this.

As for locales, I bet that they include some more stuff in DLC.
Of course. If you try to use one of the other themes in the demo, it tells you that you can only use 1 in the demo but in the full game there will be several instead of the specific number of four. That could just be them hoping people aren't smart enough to count, though.

I really really liked the demo, but I don't think I want to spend another $60 on a game now after just buying SSFIV, RDR, and 3D Dot within the past couple weeks. I would probably bite if it fell to $40 or so though (then I could toss on my $20 amazon credit and get it for $20)

Liberty4all

Banned
reKon said:
Bitches are complaining about the controls so you'll either be a bitch or you will like the controls. Personally, I played the sonic all stars demo first and found the controls to be solid. Then I went and got the MNR demo yesterday and found the controls to be almost perfect after racing and getting the hang it. I pretty much started drifting on all the turns and now i'm nailing them without hitting walls. After that I went back into sonic and I controls still felt fine, but I actually became better at drifting by being able to control it better because I was playing MNR so long :lol .

MNR isn't as wacky as Sonic Racers, but IMO it offers better gameplay. Even though the weapons aren't like Sonic's or Mario's, they are still fun to use, especially when you get the level 3 missiles and rock the shit out of someone else or the lightning one at level 3. You know shit it going down when you use that weapon and the sky turns pink. Also, it's fun to be rewarded on the meter you have so you can block big incoming attacks. It sucks though when there's a follow up attack, but that hasn't happened to often for me, even on expert.

I thought the handling in Sonic wasn't bad, however, there were definitely some racers that had an advantage due to ease of drifting + boost combo. While Sonic All Stars wasn't my "favorite" kart racer it was definitely a good effort.

Top Bottom