• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

coopolon

netguy503 said:
How do you choose casual difficulty for a race? I don't see an option. Am I missing something?

Apparently it is the default difficulty.

Yah, I'm done with this game. I almost finished the 4th circuit, but it's just no longer fun. Amusingly enough, the next game from GAmefly is Blur, so we'll see how that compares.

One bizarre thing Modnation did was put the trigger events button on R1 when accelerate is R2, so you have to use your middle finger on R2 and index finger on R1. Very odd, especially when triangle is only used for looking back, which is used much elss often than triggering events. Also, they don't teach you about how to trigger events until the 4th circuit, even though there are multiple triggerable events that would a lot of the previous races much easier earlier on in the game.

But what really killed this game for me was the controls, difficulty, and loading times. Maybe I'm a Mario Kart only kind of kart racing fan.

reKon

Banned
coopolon said:
Apparently it is the default difficulty.

Yah, I'm done with this game. I almost finished the 4th circuit, but it's just no longer fun. Amusingly enough, the next game from GAmefly is Blur, so we'll see how that compares.

One bizarre thing Modnation did was put the trigger events button on R1 when accelerate is R2, so you have to use your middle finger on R2 and index finger on R1. Very odd, especially when triangle is only used for looking back, which is used much elss often than triggering events. Also, they don't teach you about how to trigger events until the 4th circuit, even though there are multiple triggerable events that would a lot of the previous races much easier earlier on in the game.

But what really killed this game for me was the controls, difficulty, and loading times. Maybe I'm a Mario Kart only kind of kart racing fan.

get better

Hi guys... made a new track in my desperate wait for the LBP2.

It's called RIDGE RACER TYPE GR

Not based on any real ridge racer experience - more the feeling of drifting at speed past tall buildings. let me know what you think.... remixed it from a previous track but redid a lot of the layout... just there was on particular section i wanted to keep... anyway, let me know what you think.

2qnnpkk.jpg

f5bbs.jpg

14sclld.jpg

hope you like it...

p.s. the causal difficulty doesn't seem to make any difference?

snap0212

NinjaFusion said:
So is this game pretty much dead to gaf now then?

Thinking of trading it in...
Nah, not dead. Gonna check your track later. I'm currently building one myself. I'm surprised how "easy" it is to create a nice course (compared to LittleBigPlanet where I couldn't do shit in the level creator). :lol

snap0212

:D

Double XP Week
Starting this Wednesday, everyone will receive double XP for creations and XP/XP Series races. Double XP week ends on September 8th, 2010. Have fun!

I think this is the perfect time for me to install the game, download the patch and have fun! :)

RagnarokX

ModNationRacers_1.jpg

Kart Factory: http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/ArgorokX/creations/2093381

ArgorokX

Race through an abandoned kart factory as it faces demolition. Be careful, however, as the machinery within is still quite active.

ModNationRacers_5-2.jpg

The race starts on the streets of the deserted factory town.

ModNationRacers_6.jpg

ModNationRacers_7-1.jpg

ModNationRacers_8.jpg

Smash through the security gates and enter the factory. The conveyor belts constantly move to help or hinder your progress. Avoid the crushing machines.

ModNationRacers_9-1.jpg

Up to the catwalks above, where you have a choice of direction.

ModNationRacers_11-1.jpg

ModNationRacers_12-1.jpg

ModNationRacers_13-1.jpg

Left takes you to a room with conveyor belts transporting barrels and a sewer...

ModNationRacers_18.jpg

ModNationRacers_19.jpg

ModNationRacers_17.jpg

Right gives you the option of braving the fast-spinning fan of an air vent and launching through a smokestack.

ModNationRacers_14-1.jpg

ModNationRacers_15-1.jpg

Regardless of choice, maneuver around a giant bulldozer's blade and make your way back to town.

ModNationRacers_16-1.jpg

On lap 3, this wall collapses.

ModNationRacers_4.jpg

ModNationRacers_3.jpg

Conservative Demolition mod and kart to go with the track. Richard has a new business.

Ha, good work dude looks great.

I'm still waiting on a price drop before I pick this up, since I'm strapped for cash. Hopefully sooner than later cause GT5 and LPB2 (mixed with SC2) and I won't have much time for anything else.

I stopped playing when it was just to hard for me to unlock stuff. I dont like making mods or tracks unless i have 100% of the stuff. Same thing happened with LBP, I worked my but off to get 100% stuff and then my PS3 HDD died. I lost all my stuff and had no ambition to go back and unlock it all over again....so I quit.

I wish Sony would sell me all the crap for like $5

reKon

Banned
Another great track RagnarokX! Please keep on producing these amazing tracks. After taking a break from Mod Nation I played again a lot with my friend the other day. We literally played this game the whole a long with my roommates in 2 person split screen and it was incredibly fun and very addicting. Your tracks are still the best I've played in this game and they are always different from each other. I think my favorite of yours is still Modopolis. Anyways, keep it up and I will definitely be downloading your newest creation.

I still feel that this game is and will be over looked. This is probably my favorite multiplayer game this gen next to Super Smash Bros Brawl and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

swoon

Returned this game today to finish up career mode. I'm on the last circuit and it seems a lot easier and less rubberbandy. Two things New things vie noticed is that if you drive through the teleport rings an AI player activated you teleport as well. Also a bigger deal should have been made about skipping directly to career mode without entering the mod spot at all. Pretty great.

MrPliskin

Banned
Went back to this today for a few hours, in pursuit of that platinum trophy, lol. Very difficult to get, and MAN, online races were fun, but hard.

I noticed that I'd be ahead of almost everyone. Almost. Generally there was one or two people way in front of me, then me, and then about 5 or more people way behind me. The gap between great, good, and garbage is pretty massive, lol.

reKon said:
I wish this game would sell like a zillion. So deserve's it! (and there would be even more impressive creation)
I am tempted, but I am not quite sure i'd like it- what other game does it compare to (preferably older, I haven't played a racing game in ages :))
I really don't dig the design, though..

Ashkeloth

harriet the spy said:
I am tempted, but I am not quite sure i'd like it- what other game does it compare to (preferably older, I haven't played a racing game in ages :))
I really don't dig the design, though..

I hate to sound like an ass, but for the love of god do not buy this game if you like older racing games. This game exemplifies everything that is wrong with modern racing games, due to it's absolutely bullshit cheating A.I and the inability to unlock custom parts without beating it. Basically, to unlock the parts to get into the customisation part of the game, you need to beat the career mode and all of the challenges, but the career mode, even on casual difficulty is full of A.I bullshit cheating and bad design decisions. The design in uncanny valley LittleBigPlanet, but with most of the charm removed due to the characters having voices.

To compare it to other games, it's basically Diddy Kong Racing's power up system in Mario Kart where you have a boost bar from drifting rather than a straight up instant boost, but also with some LittleBigPlanet car/racetrack/driver design functionality, which should've been great, but in my opinion, the devs fucked up massively on pretty much every front.

arbok26 said:
did they ever fix the loading issues with the game?

It's faster than before, but still takes about 30 seconds to load each time, rather than the 45+ seconds it took before

snap0212

Seriously, are they kidding me? I just wanted to re-install the game (upgraded my hard drive) and it’s telling me that I have to download a Patch. I downloaded the first one, had to go after that so I shut down the PS3. Since I’m a PS+ Subscriber it wanted to download the rest of the Patch the next morning.

fotoc5mn.jpg

I wanted the game to be Patched, mainly because of the loading times, but the size of the Patches is getting ridiculous. I can’t be the only one with a not-too-fast internet connection.

reKon

Banned
about to start playing this a little since I have some time. They have been adding a lot of new creation content apparently. I'm hoping to see some even more fun tracks.

reKon

Banned
was playing this today and holy shit I was getting dominated. Even though like 10 people here play this game (and it's still incredible), does anyone have any racing tips?

I don't feel like getting owned all the time by level 30's. I happened to be playing the 5th ranked person of all time in this game (http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/alwayswilliam) He was fucking destroying me by 10-20 seconds each XP series race AND I was consistently 6-8th in those. I need to get better :lol (this is coming from someone who beat the Career Mode before they added casuaul mode and felt it was challenging, but not THAT hard). The problem is that I go too slow.

netguy503

New DLC trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yr1VybDwD4&feature=sub

Though it doesn't start getting really good until three minutes into the four minute video.The rest is annoying fluff.

The Asia track campaign sounds cool though and new trophies are awesome. Though they better get to this FAST because LBP2 is just around the corner and will CRUSH them.

I think this is the saddest, shortest OT in GAF history.:lol

CozMick

Banned
Thanks for the video link NetGuy503.

The new DLC looks amazing and I will be all over Jak and Daxter :D

The single player stuff should be great as well.

reKon

Banned
nice, thanks for the update. United Front needs to add a circuit mode to this game so you can race 5 hand picked maps consecutively without having to go back to the mod spot. That would make the split screen mode offline a lot more fun.

Alrighty, I picked this up around noon-ish and played a few tracks. Amazingly good so far!

So................ what are the best tracks to race on in GAF's opinion? I think I'm going to go with GAF's thoughts rather than the entire PS3 user review community- especially after seeing the crappy user created drivers that were given 4 and a half stars.

Most importantly, is there a list somewhere of GAF created content?

So I rented this to play with my girlfriend after we had a blast with LBP2, and my fucking God are the loading times absolutely game breaking. We spent longer looking at a loading screen than we did in races.

How did it get a release in this state? It seems a fun little game but it's getting sent right back.

The concept is awesome but I refuse to sit through that. Modnation Racers 2 would appeal to me if it didn't have the same issue.

A big letdown.

How is the community on this game now? I'm really interested now with it's Greatest Hits entry price and with United Front's True Crime dream dead I'd like to help them out, even if really really late =P

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Foliorum Viridum said:
So I rented this to play with my girlfriend after we had a blast with LBP2, and my fucking God are the loading times absolutely game breaking. We spent longer looking at a loading screen than we did in races.

How did it get a release in this state? It seems a fun little game but it's getting sent right back.

The concept is awesome but I refuse to sit through that. Modnation Racers 2 would appeal to me if it didn't have the same issue.

A big letdown.

The problem is that the game is dynamically building each course as it is loading; it's not just reading files off the disc and dropping textures into place. This is related to the core engine technology of the game.

They just didn't get their technology optimized enough for prime time. It isn't really acceptable by current standards, I think, despite the fact that the game is good anyway.

Firehead

So, I bought this off of PSN and it finally finished downloading. Having a bit of trouble playing online - says, "You have been unauthenticated and/or kicked from the server" when I try to go online. Anyone having this problem?

Speevy

Banned
Firehead said:
So, I bought this off of PSN and it finally finished downloading. Having a bit of trouble playing online - says, "You have been unauthenticated and/or kicked from the server" when I try to go online. Anyone having this problem?

YES

Every time. I haven't been online yet.

Speevy

Banned
Well anyway, it can't bode well for this game's digital sales that this problem hasn't been fixed yet.

This is an online game afterall. I thought I was avoiding some of the load times and such by buying digitally. I didn't know I'd be an offline outcast.

Speevy

Banned
Takao said:
I think Sony may have forgotten to include the online activation key with the PSN version.

There's a key? You mean a line of code or an actual key that the player must input?

Z_Y

Speevy said:
There's a key? You mean a line of code or an actual key that the player must input?
He must be thinking of the psp version. No online key in the ps3 version.

Top Bottom