• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

AndyD

aka andydumi
8bitgeorge said:
So I bought the game today. How can I get into nice GAF fun?
Add some people to your friends list. Go to friends creations and try some out. Go through the thread and see what people have posted too.

V_Ben

Banned
Some stuff about the patch was announced today. No mention of load times, but its probably safe to assume that there are at least some load time improvements in this one :lol

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/12/modnation-monday-community-picks-and-patch-update/

Patch Info

I know everybody wants to know more about the patch that’s in development. We appreciate your patience as UFG places the final touches on it. There’s been a lot of community feedback and I think UFG has done a good job trying to include a lot of the improvements you’ve asked for. One of the improvements is the addition of a “casual” career difficulty that has less “aggressive” computer-controlled racers. I was able to spend some time last week playing the new build. Let me just say that I had a blast playing through the casual career difficulty and I think those that have been asking for this will be very pleased when you can get your hands on it!

Ashkeloth

Oh, hallelujah.

I have been waiting for this game to get patched before I actually play it further than the first few levels, as the load times are abysmal, and the AI made the game completely unfun to play by myself.

Maybe now the challenges won't make me feel like taking the disk out of the PS3 and smashing to pieces.

Nothing on an expected date of arrival for the patch, though?

rc213

Will I still be able to unlock stuff in the new Difficulty? I spend most of my time racing online but I still want to unlock everything to have the parts available for modding.

reKon

Banned
Decado said:
Did they ever patch the loading times and AI?

Anyways, lol @ those who have to do the casual career mode. I unlocked all of that shit and it was so incredibly challenging and rewarding to say you did that.

To me it's kind of like back then when you played Mario 64 and it wasn't even about beating the game, but it was about asking your friends or everyone who's played it:

"Hey did you get 120 stars?" or something of that nature

That MEANT something. Nowadays everyone is in bitch mode and doesn't want to accept a challenge. Now I agree that it wasn't the best design choice to require you to do this to unlock all the parts in the game, but it still doesn't change the fact that there is/was way too much bitching and people were stupid for doing that.. And before you call me an arrogant asshole, you want to know why they were stupid?

Because the actual online racing is either just as hard or even harder than the career mode.

That career mode does a great job of giving you practice on using ALL the tools at your disposal. This isn't as shallow as Mario Kart in gameplay, you have to develop your skills in all areas.

/rant

netguy503

Ashkeloth said:
Oh, hallelujah.

I have been waiting for this game to get patched before I actually play it further than the first few levels, as the load times are abysmal, and the AI made the game completely unfun to play by myself.

Maybe now the challenges won't make me feel like taking the disk out of the PS3 and smashing to pieces.

Nothing on an expected date of arrival for the patch, though?

Since he ended the post saying see you next week, while mentioning the patch with no firm date, chances are the patch is probably coming out next Monday or later.

I still haven't seen a patch before that changes their own trophy list before though. I don't know how they are going to manage that.

snap0212

reKon said:
I unlocked all of that shit and it was so incredibly challenging and rewarding to say you did that.
That’s nice and you can be proud of yourself! :)

reKon said:
That MEANT something. Nowadays everyone is in bitch mode and doesn't want to accept a challenge. Now I agree that it wasn't the best design choice to require you to do this to unlock all the parts in the game, but it still doesn't change the fact that there is/was way too much bitching and people were stupid for doing that.. And before you call me an arrogant asshole, you want to know why they were stupid?
The problem is not that the game is hard, but the fact that the game forbids you to be good or does everything possible to make you weaker than you actually are. The AI is completely broken just as it is in many other racing games. If I’m good, let me be good. Have a set challenge, but don’t change the habit of the opponents mid-race. Rubber Band AI is horrible.

There’s a difference between hard games and unfair games. ModNation Racers is unfair, MegaMan 9 is hard. No one bitches about the difficulty in MegaMan games, because once you learn how to deal with it, once you learn the level there’s nothing to be afraid of anymore. That’s not the case with ModNation Racers. Even if you’re super awesome and have played the game for 100s of hours, the AI will adjust to your skills and just not let you be “way better”. That’s just not satisfying.

reKon said:
Because the actual online racing is either just as hard or even harder than the career mode.
You could say that about every single online game out there, but it’s not true. When you start to play Call of Duty or Battlefield online, you’ll get killed a lot. You’ll get better over time and the fact that you’re getting better (than your enemies) will change everything.

I actually stopped playing this game, because of the loading times (worst I’ve experienced this gen) and would really like to get back into it. Some of the DLC looks really nice, but if they don’t get the loading times fixed soon I’ll just sell it.

reKon

Banned
snap0212 said:
That’s nice and you can be proud of yourself! :)

The problem is not that the game is hard, but the fact that the game forbids you to be good or does everything possible to make you weaker than you actually are. The AI is completely broken just as it is in many other racing games. If I’m good, let me be good. Have a set challenge, but don’t change the habit of the opponents mid-race. Rubber Band AI is horrible.

There’s a difference between hard games and unfair games. ModNation Racers is unfair, MegaMan 9 is hard. No one bitches about the difficulty in MegaMan games, because once you learn how to deal with it, once you learn the level there’s nothing to be afraid of anymore. That’s not the case with ModNation Racers. Even if you’re super awesome and have played the game for 100s of hours, the AI will adjust to your skills and just not let you be “way better”. That’s just not satisfying.

You could say that about every single online game out there, but it’s not true. When you start to play Call of Duty or Battlefield online, you’ll get killed a lot. You’ll get better over time and the fact that you’re getting better (than your enemies) will change everything.

I actually stopped playing this game, because of the loading times (worst I’ve experienced this gen) and would really like to get back into it. Some of the DLC looks really nice, but if they don’t get the loading times fixed soon I’ll just sell it.

If you do things like lay mines consistently when you're in first, they game won't seem as unfair to you.

RagnarokX

Gardens of Deception: http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/ArgorokX/creations/1303347

It's been a while since my last track. In Gardens of Deception you race through a paradise that has more to it than it seems...

d01.jpg

Lush green hills dotted with flowers and cypress trees surround a narrow dirt path.

d02.jpg

Try not to get stuck as you cross a narrow bridge next to a waterfall.

d03.jpg

Ancient ruins also adorn the hills.

d04.jpg

A grand castle looms in the distance across an ancient stone bridge.

d05.jpg

d06.jpg

Falling from the bridge, you must navigate a dark and fiery inferno below. Jump across pools of mud and avoid deadly traps in the dark temple ruins.

d07.jpg

You conveniently find yourself on the other side of the bridge, time to investigate that castle. Within you must choose to go left or right.

d08.jpg

d09.jpg

You wind around the 3 floors of the ancient castle. As you progress to the next floor, be on the lookout for fellow racers coming the other way and try not to collide.

d10.jpg

From the top floor it's back down to the gardens outside...

d11.jpg

And back into the abyss.

d12.jpg

Your second trip through the inferno ends in the crater of an erupting volcano.

d13.jpg

Back to paradise.

So I popped this game in for the first time since I had bought my new PS3. Backed up all my saves and whatnot, including for this game, and transferred them over. I get to the ModSpot, and for some reason, the default Mod is sitting in his kart in place of my John Locke Mod in his #3 kart.

I go to my content page and it says I have nothing created for this game, nor any downloads, DLC or user-created. I back out into the XMB and head up to Game Data Utility. Third folder down is ModNation Racers User-Created Content, which has over 7000kbs worth of data inside it, which seems like the wealth of content my GF and I created (roughly 15 mods, five karts and one track combined). We both published a couple mods and karts each, so those won't be a hassle getting them back, but what about everything else?

If I have nothing saved on my HDD, what's in that folder? Is it possible the game just isn't seeing the content? Anyone else run into this?

RagnarokX

New patch info: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/19/modnation-monday-new-dlc-and-features-inbound/

"More Patch Details

On top of optimizing load times, one of the things a lot of you have asked for is the ability to play with your friends in XP races. Well, I am very pleased to share with you that UFG has added this feature and it will be available in the upcoming patch as well. The patch is nearing the final development stages with UFG working hard to iron out some bugs before it will be ready for release."

Also they are starting to sell the preorder exclusive mod packs starting with the cowboy one.

CozMick

Banned
These 1.01 patch notes better be as long as my fucking arm for taking so damn long :(

Still the best online racer currently available though :D

rc213

RagnarokX said:
New patch info: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/19/modnation-monday-new-dlc-and-features-inbound/

"More Patch Details

On top of optimizing load times, one of the things a lot of you have asked for is the ability to play with your friends in XP races. Well, I am very pleased to share with you that UFG has added this feature and it will be available in the upcoming patch as well. The patch is nearing the final development stages with UFG working hard to iron out some bugs before it will be ready for release."

Also they are starting to sell the preorder exclusive mod packs starting with the cowboy one.

Nice.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I'm glad they are ironing out everything in one patch, but they should have delayed the game and released it to better reviews and word of mouth. Not to mention less competition now.

snap0212

RagnarokX said:

"More Patch Details

Finally they talk about the loading times (again) after not saying anything about them. Seems like the Patch will be available in a couple of weeks. I want to start this game, so hurry up!

Darkatomz

This patch is taking forever... I've been wanting to get around to playing this game for once, but I've been holding out for the patch to cut down on load times primarily. Guess I'll just wait a few more weeks.

moai

bought the game today, hope the patch hurries up. can someone tell me how to do 2 player online? can`t find the way and my girlfriend is getting bored :lol

Agent X

moai said:
can someone tell me how to do 2 player online? can`t find the way and my girlfriend is getting bored :lol

Are you talking about you versus one of your PSN friends online, or you and another person in the same room with you versus other players over PSN?

If you just want to race against your online friend, then I think you need to invite them into your ModSpot (or join his ModSpot), and set up an online race from there. You should be able to set up a private slot for your friend to join you. Then, invite him into your game.

It's been a while since I've tried this, so I'm going by memory. It's possible I might have omitted one or more important steps in the process.

moai

Agent X said:
Are you talking about you versus one of your PSN friends online, or you and another person in the same room with you versus other players over PSN?

If you just want to race against your online friend, then I think you need to invite them into your ModSpot (or join his ModSpot), and set up an online race from there. You should be able to set up a private slot for your friend to join you. Then, invite him into your game.

It's been a while since I've tried this, so I'm going by memory. It's possible I might have omitted one or more important steps in the process.

yeah i was thinking about doing 2 player splitscreen vs randoms. is it posible?

CozMick

Banned
I'm really struggling to keep this thread afloat :(

Here's a Kart I made today that I won't be publishing, it's my own :lol :lol

37526_142930862400537_100000508727700_344244_4236882_n.jpg

Starting to get a hang of the editor.

Bring on the patch!!

moai

i'm having a blast with the game. hopefully the patch will include splitscreen play with two profiles so player 2 can gain experience and also add the option to play splitscreen series, not just one.

Agent X

moai said:
yeah i was thinking about doing 2 player splitscreen vs randoms. is it posible?

I've never tried it. I haven't even tried split screen yet. I know "split screen" and "online" are two separate option in the ModSpot, so my guess is that you can't do both at the same time.

moai

Agent X said:
I've never tried it. I haven't even tried split screen yet. I know "split screen" and "online" are two separate option in the ModSpot, so my guess is that you can't do both at the same time.

you can do it, it just takes a while to find a gameroom.

RagnarokX

Well, it's monday; time for another update: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/26/modnation-monday-creations-of-the-week/

You know that patch we keep wanting? Well they've finally... announced that they will announce the release date next week... Didn't know this game was made by Konami.

What’s up with the PATCH?

We know everyone has been extremely patient with this patch and it’s much appreciated. We are happy to say that we hope to have a solid release date next ModNation Monday.

RagnarokX

New track: Temple of the Elements

Explore an ancient pyramid dedicated to the four classical elements.

el1.jpg

The grand hall of temple. There is a door for each room of the temple, but you need to head right.

el2.jpg

The trials of earth. Item pods sit on a rising slope, but taking them may prove challenging. The ancient stone statue will spit deadly barrels upon thieves.

el3.jpg

Be on the lookout for more barrel-spitting statues. These aren't as picky, so keep your eyes open.

el4.jpg

The trials of water. A large open room full of water. Will you follow the safe route or take your chances with the murky depths?

el5.jpg

Back through the grand hall. Two more rooms await.

el6.jpg

el7.jpg

The trials of wind. The wind blowing through the center of this chamber will launch you to new heights. Be careful not to fall off the wooden platforms.

el8.jpg

The trials of fire. Drift around an active volcano. Item pods line the outer edges, but fire-breathing statues guard these treasures.

decon

Just got the game and I'm really digging expect for the loadtimes and that you can't make a list of tracks to play in splitscreen! Can't wait for the patch to come out, hopefully it will fix the loading.

So far the editing is really cool, and I've yet to try out the track editor. The driving feel is fantastic, don't know what the critics are talking about when they say that "it doesn't hit the spot". Drifting is awesome and there seems to be a lot of stuff to learn. Maybe too much for friends that comes over just to play for a few hours.

netguy503

CozMick said:
United Front have finally adjusted the Create XP.

I went from rank 16 to 21 :lol

Did they fix the trophy list? If they didn't how would the trophy know to "ping" when you hit the right XP? If they didn't, they haven't truly fixed the horrid XP problem yet.

CozMick

Banned
netguy503 said:
Did they fix the trophy list? If they didn't how would the trophy know to "ping" when you hit the right XP? If they didn't, they haven't truly fixed the horrid XP problem yet.

Someone posted pics on the official forum after receiving the update, they got the 250k trophy and rank 30 trophy :D

They went from level 22 to 30

RagnarokX

netguy503 said:
I don't see how the XP was the problem. It was more of an interface problem, with it being hard to promote your stuff, and setting the create xp trophy too high. I just went from level 25 to level 30 and am sitting at 733,001 create XP; zoomed right past the trophy. A bit overkill, imo.

What they need to do is make it easier to promote creations. User profiles will only list 12 tracks.

Agent X

netguy503 said:
So your saying the update/patch is out? Do you know if it fixed the rubberband AI as well? Thanks.

I was on earlier this morning, and there was no patch that I saw.

To CozMick and RagnarokX, are you saying that they rolled out a server side update?

I got the ModNation Prospect trophy after I signed on this morning, which you receive by earning at least 1000 XP (combined Race XP and Create XP). I didn't check my XP today (in retrospect, I should have), but last time I checked about 3 or 4 days ago, I was hovering somewhere around 700 to 800 XP, and I haven't created anything new in well over a month. A server side update to fix some sort of XP bug sounds plausible, unless my creations have had some inexplicable and amazing surge in popularity over the last few days. :D

MrPliskin

Banned
RagnarokX said:
I don't see how the XP was the problem. It was more of an interface problem, with it being hard to promote your stuff, and setting the create xp trophy too high. I just went from level 25 to level 30 and am sitting at 733,001 create XP; zoomed right past the trophy. A bit overkill, imo.

What they need to do is make it easier to promote creations. User profiles will only list 12 tracks.

How the hell did you get so much create xp!? Is this thing retroactive? I checked my profile online, and mine is sitting pretty around 50K for the WEEK, but only about 53K total.

netguy503

Agent X said:
I got the ModNation Prospect trophy after I signed on this morning, which you receive by earning at least 1000 XP (combined Race XP and Create XP). I didn't check my XP today (in retrospect, I should have), but last time I checked about 3 or 4 days ago, I was hovering somewhere around 700 to 800 XP, and I haven't created anything new in well over a month. A server side update to fix some sort of XP bug sounds plausible, unless my creations have had some inexplicable and amazing surge in popularity over the last few days. :D

I got the Prospect trophy when I logged in too.:D I should be really close to the 5,000 silver trophy too so I should be able to bang that out before the patch. I just started level 15 right now. Is there anyway to check how many more XP I need?

A good trick to do is if you want to build up XP racing is to do XP series NOT XP racers. You get 500, 400, or 300 XP for each respective spot in the top 3 as long as with the XP you got on each race by doing the weapons and all that I believe. It's pretty good, when the patch comes this will go lightning fast but even without the patch I think I did 5 races (you have to do 5 races in a series) in 15-20 minutes and it might be to your advantage to play while "everyone is waiting" for the patch because you can get into the top 3 more easily each race like I did.:D

Agent X

Very interesting. I just checked my XP, and suddenly I shot up from around 700 XP to 2343 XP, and from level 7 to level 13. No wonder I got that trophy! :D

V_Ben

Banned
IGN now has full details of the patch. Sounds like a biggie! :D
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109588p1.html

Slashed Load Times
Yes, there are still going to be load times, but Sony is reporting that in some cases those loads will be 50 percent faster.

Casual Difficulty FTW
A lot of folks dug the gameplay in ModNation Racers, but they were getting pwned by the game's AI-controlled opponents; those computerized bastards never gave Player 1 a break! Well, this patch introduces Casual Difficulty Mode. This should give people who just want to have some fun the chance to do so without having to worry about hurling a controller after getting sideswiped in the third lap.

Friends with XP Benefits
Racing in XP Races and Series is key to earning experience points and leveling-up online. However, as it stands, you can't invite your friends to XP outings. It kind of sucks the fun out of your multiplayer romp. Well, next week, that'll be a thing of the past. This patch allows you to invite your buddies to races and series, so go level grind!

Death to Hot Lap Cheaters
Apparently, this patch will fix a bug that allowed players to cut through tracks and post ridiculous times in the online Hot Lap section. Only a few more days to steal the spotlight, kids!

The Ultimate Collector
Player cards -- the profile showing what you've whipped up -- will now display all of you creations and not just some of them.

Get Online Faster and Stay There
United Front Games is also fixing MNR so that you'll be able to jump into online races faster than ever. The developers say that this has been done by removing "the online game room from the ModSpot." On top of that, the server's been upgraded to help get rid of those pesky disconnects people were having to deal with. We'll see how that works next week.

Attain the Unattainable (Challenges)
United Front Games has listened to all of your ranting and raving and honed in on three challenges that it agrees are just too damn tough. When you download the patch, expect different completion conditions on the Devastator takedown on Wild Run, the Devastator takedown on Modobahn and the "sideswipe three opponents on the cliff side" task on Fracture.

Free Stuff
The Tin Bucket item will be unlocked for everyone! Hooray!

Nice! :D

Darkatomz

Hey, the patch actually sounds really good! Hopefully the date they announce next week won't be too far out and I can finally start playing this game!

Agent X

Great! It appears that they've listened to feedback, and are addressing some key complaints with this patch. Hopefully the patch will rekindle interest for those who have shelved the game due to frustration and/or long load times.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Agent X said:
Great! It appears that they've listened to feedback, and are addressing some key complaints with this patch. Hopefully the patch will rekindle interest for those who have shelved the game due to frustration and/or long load times.
That would be me! I'll be more than happy to jump back in if the article is true!

Decado

Pimpbaa said:
Load times and difficulty is why I stopped playing. Glad to see them both addressed.
I thought the difficulty was a symptom of cheating AI? Adding a new mode doesn't effect that :(

Top Bottom