• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
NinjaFusion said:
about an hour and a half.... but i drew it out roughly on paper before i made it... because i wanted there to be specific points on the tack where you got a view over the whole course.

Ah, that's what I was wondering about. It looks to have a really well-planned flow to it, and I wondered if you can pick that much up from the editor alone.

Awesome job. I look forward to downloading it.

MrPliskin

Banned
netguy503 said:
I still don't think they should have announced LBP2 BEFORE this game. Talk about splitting your community in half (as another poster said there is no hype for this game: no JTV feeds for this game two weeks prior to release like every popular game nowadays usually has, long load times, etc). I mean, in this current economy where money doesn't grow on trees, if you had to make a choice would you pick LBP2 or MNR. Really? A play, create, share, game that is stuck to one genre or one where you can build multiple genre's AS WELL as the one's in MNR. I dunno just seems like a bad business decision if I had a very limited gaming budget. Doesn't seem like a good business move and it will hurt even more with the create features of LBP2 being fully shown off at E3 like two and a half weeks after this game just comes out.

Please go parade somewhere else man. Seriously. This is a kart racing game, no need for you to crown your victor. We know you love LBP2, but this has nothign to fucking to with LBP2. Keep that shit out of this thread.

hxa155

noobie said:
look like this is going to bomb. not many ppl r happy with the demo.. so do u think it will pass 1 Million life time?

It's gonna be like LBP. Slow and steady but it managed to sell over 3 million.

aristotle

man I'm still trying to figure out if I should wait on this or not. I'm becoming broke with all of these games and a new MGS is coming too :(

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Have this game preordered (my friend went and pre-ordered/paid it for me as a surprise) so if any GAFfers are ready to get our game going on Tuesday just PM me. I already have a group of 3 that will be playing regularly (one GAFfer, and the friend previously mentioned) but I am sure that we can find a way to have fun.

One question though: Can you make tracks as a group? That would be epic fun!

Edit:

aristotle said:
man I'm still trying to figure out if I should wait on this or not. I'm becoming broke with all of these games and a new MGS is coming too :(

It depends on what you want really. There are a lot of games I would like to play, but not many that are worth it in the end. After wasting money on video games (and sadly falling into my old trap again...) I have returned to the very VERY selective purchasing route. Within the next month getting 3 games is insane for me (Alpha Protocol, Naughty Bear, and now ModNation)

After July though its pretty sparse that I purchase anything!

What I'm trying to say is, determine WHAT you want to play, how much you'll enjoy it (not just time, FFXIII takes a lot of time and not that many enjoy it, 5 amazing hours > 50 shit ones)

Thats how you decide if you get it! (Plus you can then play the sadistic tracks me and my friend are already concocting before the game even arrives MUAHAHAHA)

Nyx

5kqbsj.jpg

Travado

There is a way to remap the buttons (other layout configuration available?) and most important, this game has an option to adjust the sensibility of controller? I played the demo and hated the controller, this things "killed" the gameplay for me and in demo there is no way to adjust. :/

Jeels

Cellbomber said:
I can't believe someone is comparing this to LBP2. Other than the creation aspect nothing is similar.

Not even, it's just the FACT that they both have creation aspects. Even the way creation is in both games is completely different.

hxa155

Jeels said:
Not even, it's just the FACT that they both have creation aspects. Even the way creation is in both games is completely different.

Well, they're both on PS3. Exclusives on this system always attract trolls. :lol

Zen

Banned
TheSeks said:
WHOOSH goes the point over yours head.

Point being: LBP2 is set to do racing levels. It's set to do RPG levels. It's set to do things the community did/wanted with a PLATFORMING engine in this NEW platforming-focused-but-can-be-used-for-other-genre's game.

Mod Nation is a kart-racing game. HOWEVER, if LBP2 does nearly the same thing as MNR... MNR will be redundant. Why would you buy this when you can get 20x the content in LBP2? That's the thing. If LBP2 is a clone of this, then it's over for MNR.

However, I don't think it'll be. Who knows if they'll change the camera angle to where it's like MNR. Doubtful.

I don't think LBP2 is going to be able to actually do Mario kart perspective racers, we'll see.

Sin

For whoever downloaded the Sackboy DLC, does it show immediately in your Mod selection menu or you have to do something else to get it ingame?

I downloaded mine but it doesn't show up anywhere, maybe its because I am playing the press version. :/

noobie

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Really?... I'm reading the opposite.

Also... who gives a shit?
really. :S r u buying it? n u have ppl around u buying it.? i think this game is really nice n should hit above 2 million .. good games should sell to give good developers more oppurtunity to make more games

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Random things that bother me atm.

- Drifting on X. Good luck activating the shield while drifting.
- Being hit despite having the shield on.
- Losing weapons after being shot. This annoys me to no end. Sometimes I don't lose weapon tho. But I don't know why. Which annoys me even more. I guess it depends on what level your weapon is. Anyway, annoying. Being hit is already enough of a punishment so I don't get why they felt the need to add weapon removal/decrease on top of that.
- Too precise collision detection with tokens/weapon globes. I miss more than I should. Collision should be more wide and forgiving.
- 30fps with slowdowns. The more I look at this game, the more I wonder why it ain't running as 120fps. There is NOTHING that justifies such a low frame rate (shitty coding aside).

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Roxas said:
people have already started cheating. Some guy has a lap time of 6 seconds on the hot lap section..

Thats just fucking lame... hopefully Sony deals with this faster than the MAG cheating

To re-ask my question from earlier that didn't get answered:

Can you create maps in a group online? I'm fairly certain (can't remember but think so) that LBP had a "create a level together" thing going so I was wondering if this game had a similar setup

icechai

loved the demo, hated the loading time. They mentioned they are looking into patching a fix, when that comes i'll def be picking this up (assuming the fix is significant) :)

netguy503

Roxas said:
people have already started cheating. Some guy has a lap time of 6 seconds on the hot lap section..

I've actually heard people have already found glitches and are adding them to creating their levels like LBP.

Jal

Played the demo the other day and it didnt seem very good after playing the beta, im thinking if they'd have just put the beta out it would make a lot more sales.

Razor210

I had no hype before the demo.

The one thing that grabs me is just the depth. It's a kart racer with a lot of options and skill involved.

On my watch list

TTP said:
- Losing weapons after being shot. This annoys me to no end. Sometimes I don't lose weapon tho. But I don't know why. Which annoys me even more. I guess it depends on what level your weapon is. Anyway, annoying. Being hit is already enough of a punishment so I don't get why they felt the need to add weapon removal/decrease on top of that.

Risk vs Reward. What would stop players from getting level 3 weapons and saving them until the last lap otherwise?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Has anyone passed the 3rd chapter of the career mode? (The Range Tour)

I swear it's impossible. No matter how good I play, which shortcuts I take, it's just a matter of luck wherever or not I cross the finish line on 3rd place or below. I think I'm good at racing games, but I've played the 1st track (that one that teaches you how to trigger the Devastators) like 40 times already (no kidding) and I just can't win that shit. Whenever I get ahead, I end up being ass kicked with like 2 or 3 weapons attacks simultaneously, and no matter how much shield I got, something always hits me. I'm so pissed right now I want to kill somebody.

This has to be the most unfair videogame I have ever played in my life.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SuperSonic1305 said:
Risk vs Reward. What would stop players from getting level 3 weapons and saving them until the last lap otherwise?

I understand lowering the level (albeit not that much either), but you should be left with lvl 1 weapon at least. You shouldn't lose that as well. Have you passed the 3rd career chapter? I swear it's easier to win the lottery.

This game is a very unbalanced piece of shit.

RobbieNick

Was gonna pre-order at Amazon for Ratchet and Clank, but always out of money for it. Pre-ordered at GameStop instead. Kratos. Meh. At least the Mystery Mod is Sackboy from what I hear.

Anyone know how many mods you can save? Can you download someone else's mod if it's a copyrighted character?

robatw

rented this game yesterday with a friend. we couldn't stand the loading times + the low framerate.

i think it is really a cool game but those flaws are making it impossible to enjoy..

1,50€ down the drain...

Carl

Completely loving this game. After completing the qualifier race i mucked around in the Creation Station for hours. Seriously, i could spend days in there without ever leaving it.

I love the simpleness of creativity in this thing. I spent about 2 hours making one of my tracks, adding multiple paths, hazards etc etc, and it was awesome. Similarly though you could probably spend 20 minutes and make a track which is nearly as good - that, i love!

Also love the amount of fantastic UGC there is already available online. Have a quick bezz earlier, and there's some great stuff to download. I should imagine that will increase ten-fold when it is finally released over on the other size of the Atlantic on Tuesday.

Damn though, the career gets REALLY hard really fast. The opponent AI is really brutal (almost Motorstorm brutal). They just build up the weapons and volley them at your ass every time you get a significant lead. It's damn frustrating i tell you!

Also it's sad to see that the Hot Lap part is glitched, especially as i spent an hour in there genuinely getting racing lines, finding shortcuts, drifting etc to properly cut my time down; then exited to find people doing it in 6 seconds :(

All in all though, this is one brilliant game and well worth the money. I fully recommend it to people who are fans of karting games. The loading times really aren't as bad as some websites would lead you to believe; sure they are there and noticeable, but nowhere near as bad as they could be, and definitely not bad enough to take away from how good the game is.

Agent X

Alastor said:
I spend around 30 minutes creating my driver in the demo and after that it told me that I can't race with my creation, only in the full version... The same with the track. That's some unfair design, but it'll probably lead to more sales.

I tried my hand at creating a character earlier today. I'm not too bothered by the inability to use him in the game right now (though it certainly would've been nice), but I'm wondering exactly where the file is that the data is saved to. I can't see any new file or even an older one that was updated, either with the save data or with the install data.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Alright here is the thing about game balance. I just realized that the Speed/Acceleration & Drift/Control settings you can adjust in the "hub" (by pressing R1) DO AFFECT your kart performance in career racing as well! Since there is no way to change the settings unless you exit career mode I assumed it was irrelevant (only for multiplayer I assumed), but it's clearly not. I had my kart set with full drift and max acceleration (hence lower top speed), which does indeed explain why I kept being smoked by the AI. Fuck me sideways United Front dudes. You could have least add the option to change these settings in career mode cos you know, it's not really that obvious. Oh well. Time to get some revenge.

netguy503

RobbieNick said:
Was gonna pre-order at Amazon for Ratchet and Clank, but always out of money for it. Pre-ordered at GameStop instead. Kratos. Meh. At least the Mystery Mod is Sackboy from what I hear.

Oh man, I forgot about the mystery mods being given out. AWESOME! Sackboy shouldn't be the mystery mod for Gamestop as he already comes with all pre-orders/early shipments of the games. If he is THAT STINKS!!!

RagnarokX

netguy503 said:
Oh man, I forgot about the mystery mods being given out. AWESOME! Sackboy shouldn't be the mystery mod for Gamestop as he already comes with all pre-orders/early shipments of the games. If he is THAT STINKS!!!
Nah, the 4 mystery mods are a gopher in a golf cart, a cat in a cheese cart, a cow in a truck, and a kid in a soapbox racer. Sackboy is definitely in addition to that. There is also Air Raid dlc from Gamespot.

RobbieNick

RagnarokX said:
Nah, the 4 mystery mods are a gopher in a golf cart, a cat in a cheese cart, a cow in a truck, and a kid in a soapbox racer. Sackboy is definitely in addition to that. There is also Air Raid dlc from Gamespot.

Really? That's it? Big whoop. I'd never want to play as those things.

netguy503

RobbieNick said:
Does anyone know if the DLC exclusives will be available as DLC? Hate to miss out on Ratchet and Clank.

Really?

Ratchet looks like he has major rape face going on. I bet you could create a better one in game. Someone has already made a clank (though I think the offical costume is a "little" better)

However, yes, SONY and United Front love money. I have no worries that this will come out sometime down the line.

RagnarokX

netguy503 said:
Really?

Ratchet looks like he has major rape face going on. I bet you could create a better one in game. Someone has already made a clank (though I think the offical costume is a "little" better)

However, yes, SONY and United Front love money. I have no worries that this will come out sometime down the line.
The ears might be hard to replicate, but yeah, money. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony deleted mods that try to look like DLC though.

D2M15 said:
Ah, that's what I was wondering about. It looks to have a really well-planned flow to it, and I wondered if you can pick that much up from the editor alone.

Awesome job. I look forward to downloading it.

Cheers...

Finished my homage to ridge racer last night.... lots of wide drifts and sky scrapers close to the edge of the track.

RagnarokX said:
The ears might be hard to replicate, but yeah, money. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony deleted mods that try to look like DLC though.

they didn't in LBP... so not sure what they would in MNR.

Why do people come in threads just to bitch about everything... if you guys don't want to get the game then there's plenty of games on here you can talk about where you could perhaps add something worthwhile to the discussion...?

Nyx

The more I'm playing it, the more I'm loving it, and I haven't even touched the design-stuff.

Difficulty gets hard pretty fast in career-mode, but it seems my driving-skills are getting better each race too. :)

Nyx said:
The more I'm playing it, the more I'm loving it, and I haven't even touched the design-stuff.

Difficulty gets hard pretty fast in career-mode, but it seems my driving-skills are getting better each race too. :)

Yup.... it's a grower for sure

TTP said:
Has anyone passed the 3rd chapter of the career mode? (The Range Tour)

I swear it's impossible. No matter how good I play, which shortcuts I take, it's just a matter of luck wherever or not I cross the finish line on 3rd place or below. I think I'm good at racing games, but I've played the 1st track (that one that teaches you how to trigger the Devastators) like 40 times already (no kidding) and I just can't win that shit. Whenever I get ahead, I end up being ass kicked with like 2 or 3 weapons attacks simultaneously, and no matter how much shield I got, something always hits me. I'm so pissed right now I want to kill somebody.

This has to be the most unfair videogame I have ever played in my life.

I got stuck on that for at least an hour, just ended up with one lucky run where I hit ALL the requirements to advance.

First few races are a breeze but it gets brutal in the later stages...

TTP said:
Random things that bother me atm.
- 30fps with slowdowns. The more I look at this game, the more I wonder why it ain't running as 120fps. There is NOTHING that justifies such a low frame rate (shitty coding aside).
I would say it's due to everything the game has to remember and process for the tracks, since they can be made from scratch in a sandbox.

Top Bottom