• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monday Night Combat |OT| Some action on a monday night

Rad-

Diablohead said:
Played for a few hours, I am in love.

Tank with Total Recoil on is awesome, the railgun shoots like 3 shots a second compared to it's default speed, I am a beast with it.

Sorry to those I was playing with earlier I had 10 or so people wanting to play with me so I had to hop between, I am up for a lengthy gaf game later tonight.

If there's 12 of us we can all play in one big private game, woop!

Also every time the host quits the migration fails to work, it either keeps only 2-3 players in the match or it kicks everyone out, needs a looking into.

Daym, more GAF peeps buy this so we can get some good fights going. :D

Shoogoo

Anybody got a laggy game yet?

When I saw Unreal Engine at the startup of the game I screamed but my 30mins trial where completeley lagless.

Numpt3

Shoogoo said:
Anybody got a laggy game yet?

When I saw Unreal Engine at the startup of the game I screamed but my 30mins trial where completeley lagless.

Near enough every game of crossfire I play is laggy. :(

There is lag but a lot of the weapons seem to be client side detection, well it feels like it anyway with the assault rifle, shotgun and a few others, anything projectile might delay ala unreal netcode but it's been playable, this isn't a twitch shooter like counter strike or gears so the lag hides itself better.

Proven

Game is fun. How fun? Played for about 6 hours straight and got to rank 22 real quick. Played with Jambi and a few others. Host Migration worked some of the time. I'm assuming the problem is that many people aren't playing with Open NATs and therefore can't host, and the slim pickings are causing things to fail.

I feel a little bad. I abused a few strategies I saw used at PAX East and a few videos a little before public release. I haven't expiremented with Custom Classes yet. I haven't even decided on my favorite class. So far Assault, Support, and Tank seem to all match different facets of my playstyle, while still begging me to switch characters every game or two.

More impressions and some mad strats later. As for bugs, I experienced the respawn bug, constant jets bug, auras staying past their effect, and one terrible bug where I deployed as Tank next to a jump pad and was constantly bounced straight up in the air, unable to get any horizontal momentum, and forced to wait to be killed.

And someone made a hilarious discovery. There are grapples AND melée attacks.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I just played this for about 6 hours straight.

For Support, my strategy when the game starts is to find the turret nub with the best line of sight to approaching enemy robots, put a Laser emplacement there and upgrade it to lvl 3, upgrade my Hack skill to 2 and then upgrade that turret further to 3.2. It'll usually start raking in money from kills pretty quick and heavy.

In general, helping to upgrade turret placements for your side at the start of the game (or anytime, but especially at the start) is a winning strategy for every class, of course. Lasers and/or Ice Dealies near the entry points, Rockets flanking the Moneyball, and Mortars back towards the robot spawns seems to be the most effective configuration. I feel like teams that can coordinate 2 or more 3.3 Mortar turrets will end up being pretty unstoppable.

Assault is also very good, although the Jump ability is useless. I never even bother to upgrade it anymore. Baiting people with sticky bombs and knocking people way the hell out of the arena with that lv3 dash-to-melee make up for it though. Assault's gun doesn't really feel much less powerful that the Heavy's gatling gun, aside from at point blank.

Not really feeling the other classes much so far. Like I said, Heavy's gun seems much weaker than it should be considering the other concessions he has to make mobility-wise. I don't understand all these people zipping around with Assassins and racking up backstab melees at will, I always seem to whiff with it more than I hit. Tank seemed okay, but how do you use the spin move? Snipers, well, I'm just not good at sniping, but they seem like they could be pretty huge assets for the game's final pushes, with the drain ball and their traps.

Anyway, super fun game and I'll probably delve into the other classes a bit more as I buy more Custom slots. Being able to tweak their proficiencies a bit could certainly offset some of their issues.

Shig said:
I just played this for about 6 hours straight.

For Support, my strategy when the game starts is to find the turret nub with the best line of sight to approaching enemy robots, put a Laser emplacement there and upgrade it to lvl 3, upgrade my Hack skill to 2 and then upgrade that turret further to 3.2. It'll usually start raking in money from kills pretty quick and heavy.

In general, helping to upgrade turret placements for your side at the start of the game (or anytime, but especially at the start) is a winning strategy for every class, of course.

Assault is also very good, although the Jump ability is useless. I never even bother to upgrade it anymore. Baiting people with sticky bombs and knocking people way the hell out of the arena with that lv3 dash-to-melee make up for it though. Assault's gun doesn't really feel much less powerful that the Heavy's gatling gun, aside from at point blank.

Not really feeling the other classes much so far. Like I said, Heavy's gun seems much weaker than it should be considering the other concessions he has to make mobility-wise. I don't understand all these people zipping around with Assassins and racking up backstab melees at will, I always seem to whiff with it more than I hit. Tank seemed okay, but how do you use the spin move? Snipers, well, I'm just not good at sniping, but they seem like they could be pretty huge assets for the game's final pushes, with the drain ball and their traps.

Anyway, super fun game and I'll probably delve into the other classes a bit more as I buy more Custom slots. Being able to tweak their proficiencies a bit could certainly offset some of their issues.

L trigger with his Jet Engine gun does the spin for the Tank.

As support I upgrade my Firebase and Mortar strike first and plant my ass close to the enemy base behind a wall while I heal my turret. I fuckkkk shit up.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The thing with sniping is to pick off bots, stack up money, and rush to lvl 3 sniping as fast as possible. Then you can swing momentum ridiculously fast by sniping turrets while juiced. The Sniper lols @ jackbots too.

Don't try and win any one on one fights, ever. All the other classes will smash you other than assassins, just be sure to back pedal while jumping and shooting to keep from getting grappled.

The sniper's grapple is underrated too. Grab + SMG to the face is win.

One more thing is INVEST IN BOTS. 100 bucks per minion may seem a bit steep at first, crank out 3 or 4 in a row and watch as life becomes easier for the entire team.

Shoogoo

DY_nasty said:
One more thing is INVEST IN BOTS. 100 bucks per minion may seem a bit steep at first, crank out 3 or 4 in a row and watch as life becomes easier for the entire team.

You can buy turrets, but bots too?

Proven

Bot spawns:

Tank and Gunner both spawn Bouncers (hulking grappling gorillas)

Assault spawns Buzzers (Get it? Cause his skill is Fly)

Assassin spawns Gremlins (little cloaking bastards)

Sniper spawns Scramblers (sap your skills and make me a sad grapple only panda)

Support spawns... I actually don't know. I've never been in a bad enough match with support to remember to spawn bots.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Proven said:
Bot spawns:

Tank and Gunner both spawn Bouncers (hulking grappling gorillas)

Assault spawns Buzzers (Get it? Cause his skill is Fly)

Assassin spawns Gremlins (little cloaking bastards)

Sniper spawns Scramblers (sap your skills and make me a sad grapple only panda)

Support spawns... I actually don't know. I've never been in a bad enough match with support to remember to spawn bots.
They spawn the quadrupedal things that launch mortars.

Bouncers seem to be the best, they can take a decent amount of punishment.

DY_nasty

Shoogoo said:
You can buy turrets, but bots too?
Yep, just look in the back of the base or wherever the normal hordes spawn at. There should be a hologram thing that'll say "Spawn Bots: 100$" Its got a cooldown period though.

Shoogoo

DY_nasty said:
Yep, just look in the back of the base or wherever the normal hordes spawn at. There should be a hologram thing that'll say "Spawn Bots: 100$" Its got a cooldown period though.

k, thanks :)

darkressurection said:
I am destroying with support. I have barely had any games where I am under 30 kills.

What's your strategy?

Shoogoo said:
k, thanks :)

What's your strategy?
I always keep my Firebase as close to the action as possible without it being in any major lines for fire, and keep it hacked at level 3. Assassins will constantly grapple me right next to my Firebase so I keep getting kills from that too. Aside from that it is a lot of getting up in dudes faces and hitting them with shotgun blasts before they can react. Also, keep peppering the area with airstrikes too, you will get a lot of easy kills when enemy Pros get too close to their bots and take an air strike to the face.

Spruchy

At first I thought the Assassin was overpowered but then after playing it myself and realizing the limits of the grapple cooldown they're more of just an annoyance.

Spruchy said:
At first I thought the Assassin was overpowered but then after playing it myself and realizing the limits of the grapple cooldown they're more of just an annoyance.
Also, one shotgun blast from an upgraded Support class will take them down.

Gowans

It's not fair at the mo if your playing with gaffers.

Just played with four other guys for a few games, we were rolling people :lol

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You all are making me very upset that I'm still at work :(. I downloaded it during my lunch break and managed to only play the tutorial. I can't wait to get home and play this tonight.

JambiBum

Gowans007 said:
It's not fair at the mo if your playing with gaffers.

Just played with four other guys for a few games, we were rolling people :lol

This. We were unstoppable earlier this morning. Ran through everyone :lol

Rad-

It was fun playing with gaffers for a while but then the server decided to drop me. :lol :(

Off to sleep now. Great game.

Just tossed a FR to MNC GAF, I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to play with some fellow GAFfers. This seems like a really good game for that since with 6 vs. 6 teams it only takes 3 guys to fill up half the team while with something like BC2 three GAFfers out of 32 players you might barely see each other during the match.

GT: TheFightingFish if the MNC GAF tag isn't working out. Should be on tonight 9ish PST.

edit: Didn't realize that Uber was right here in Kirkland, WA. Always nice to be supporting a hometown dev.

Hige

Got dropped out of a game when it was migrating the host. :(

Gunner is easy mode for racking up cash. :lol

Got my 200/200 gamerscore a few minutes ago. They're all fairly easy. So if you're that way inclined, it's a good game for achievements.

Do we have enough people to get a private gaming going tonight.

kai3345

Banned
This game is pretty fun. I've played a total of 5 games so far, but only on 2 maps :( Grenade III and some other map that looks like a square in the middle.

I'm up for a GAF game tonight

GT: Sniperdude141

DY_nasty

GT: DY nasTy IV

Man.... certain people make classes work in this game. I have no idea how someone goes 39-2 with Assault

Can't wait to download this tonight! Added MNC GAF to my friends list, hopefully I can get into some games with fellow GAFfers.

Is there something wrong with the game at the moment? I've been waiting for a looong time to play in the lobby and we are still only half full. Or is the game just that unpopular? :/

JambiBum

Sniper McBlaze said:
Is there something wrong with the game at the moment? I've been waiting for a looong time to play in the lobby and we are still only half full. Or is the game just that unpopular? :/
We aren't having any problems at all. Back out and search again.

Wizpig

firehawk12 said:
The game looks fun, but I hope the game has legs. If I pick it up, it probably won't be until September.
Doubt it.

It has easy achievements and you don't know how many people will actually drop it after getting 200/200.
Also, it's a XBLA, and we are in the gaming generation of "play it five minutes and throw it away".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wizpig said:
Doubt it.

It has easy achievements and you don't know how many people will actually drop it after getting 200/200.
Also, it's a XBLA, and we are in the gaming generation of "play it five minutes and throw it away".
Summer of XBLA games are the exception to the rule.

Definity

The gunner is a bit nuts when you upgrade his passive skill to 3. You don't have a chance if you are caught out in the open.

Top Bottom