• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monday Night Combat |OT| Some action on a monday night

I can't get into any Blitz or Crossfire games. I keep waiting for a minute or two each time I select quick match on either mode and then get sent to a lobby all by myself. People did buy this game, right? The demo sold me on a full purchase.

JambiBum

goldsoundz said:
I can't get into any Blitz or Crossfire games. I keep waiting for a minute or two each time I select quick match on either mode and then get sent to a lobby all by myself. People did buy this game, right? The demo sold me on a full purchase.
It might be your NAT. We've been playing all day and night.

Definity said:
The gunner is a bit nuts when you upgrade his passive skill to 3. You don't have a chance if you are caught out in the open.

There's a reason he is the class most used in the games I played, I seem doing better with assault, assasin is cool but with lag is unbearable

goldsoundz said:
Mine is open. I don't know what the deal is. I'll give it another shot later tonight.

It took like 10 minutes to enter a game, for me, actually someone invited me to a game, I don't know why (NAT is open as well), but you're not alone.

Only played the tutorial, but so far I'm really digging this. The controls and animation are top notch. I like the fact that most of it is coop, I was expecting this game to be a tf2 clone.

Is this game worth it for single player?

wow i've been playing all day with the only break being an hour for dinner :lol

Just had a match where my team was dominating so the host quit, no migration as it seems to not work half the time :(

Diablohead said:
wow i've been playing all day with the only break being an hour for dinner :lol

Just had a match where my team was dominating so the host quit, no migration as it seems to not work half the time :(
Yeah that sucked. Send me an invite if you play again.

betweenthewheels said:
Only played the tutorial, but so far I'm really digging this. The controls and animation are top notch. I like the fact that most of it is coop, I was expecting this game to be a tf2 clone.

Is this game worth it for single player?

No.

KuroNeeko

Is the worth picking up for single player?

Probably not. The only thing you'd be able to enjoy is the Horde-like, Survival Blitz mode. It's fun - but probably not worth the price of admission.

Just some random impressions so far -

I've had very few games with noticeable lag - though there have been times when my stealth attack misses despite me sitting there spamming it. It's really damn annoying.

Had a problem where I'd get disconnected at the end of every match which meant that I had to wait to jump into a new one. The problem disappeared after a few games.

I applaud the developers for coming straight out and saying they'd do some balancing depending on feedback. The team was probably smart enough to realize that they wouldn't be able to get it right on the first try. The Support class seems overpowered. The ability to push with bots, a shotgun, and an overpowered turret is just too much for one class. It's like combining the Engineer and the Medic from Killzone 2. Makes for a great support class - but they end up scoring more kills than most other classes which I think strays from the idea of support.

Tons of Gunners out there. I feel like they're slightly overpowered though, to be honest, I haven't played as one yet so I can't tell you what kind of problems they face.

The Sniper seems pretty well balanced. Traps, an AoE grenade, good sniping potential, as well as a weak close-up game was a good mix.

The Assassin, the class I play as the most, seems to weakest. I like the idea of regenerating stealth @ level 3 - but I think the rate is a bit too slow. Their stealth is too easily negated with the large number of gunners out there. Making it so they pwn Jackbots was a nice touch. Maybe I just need to adjust my playstyle a bit. She's a lot of fun though.

Overall a fun game, but I have doubts about how long it will last. I'd be surprised if the community makes it through the summer. It's too bad because it's a fun little title. A shame when titles like this and even Snoopy Flying Ace have such short legs. Still - worth the price if you're into team-based shooters.

N4Us

I've seen way more Assaults/Assassins than Gunners. Like every match will have at least 3 of either class.

Support can get pretty ridiculous to deal with, I can never seem to shove them off. Once they set up the turret near your base your gameplan goes to shit.

Adam J.

Just finished the demo. These guys need to make a single player game with this gamplay/graphics STAT. It feels so damn good. Kinda like Ratchet and Clank but with a tad more weight to it.

N4Us said:
I've seen way more Assaults/Assassins than Gunners. Like every match will have at least 3 of either class.

Support can get pretty ridiculous to deal with, I can never seem to shove them off. Once they set up the turret near your base your gameplan goes to shit.

I've seen a few assasins too, but I think because is mostly the most unique class and it can be a lot of fun, but they're not really hard to deal, probably because people don't know how to play with them or lag, I'm an assault myself, because is the only one I don't suck right now, is quite balanced and easy to use.

But when gunners get the 2 doble chainsaw, you better not stay close.

Also, anyone created any class yet? I think there are some really nice possible clases to make.

kai3345

Banned
I don't understand, how do you make Jackbots? I thought it was random until in one game we had 3 Orange Jackbots at our base

kai3345

Banned
Supports need to be nerfed. I'm playing on steel peel arena and two supports have set up two 3.3 turrets on the middle circle and are healing them while camping behind the glass. We can barley get TO the door into the center area before one of them kills us

d0c_zaius

ok, first match down and it was pretty crazy

I like it though. However lag did become a bad issue a couple of times during the match.

JambiBum

kai3345 said:
Supports need to be nerfed. I'm playing on steel peel arena and two supports have set up two 3.3 turrets on the middle circle and are healing them while camping behind the glass. We can barley get TO the door into the center area before one of them kills us
No class is over powered. You just have to find the way to counter them.

Eric WK

JambiBum said:

No, that strategy is pretty damn close to overpowered. Multiple supports working together can lock down an entire side of the map.

JambiBum

Eric WK said:
No, that strategy is pretty damn close to overpowered. Multiple supports working together can lock down an entire side of the map.
A good assassin can sneak around the back of them and take them out. Backstab, cloak, then smoke jump away and wait for your grapple to come back. Do it quite a bit.

d0c_zaius

d0c_zaius said:
ok, first match down and it was pretty crazy

I like it though. However lag did become a bad issue a couple of times during the match.

Played a couple more matches and went from bottom to top of the leaderboards. Gunner is pretty crazy with a good support.

Good games Nubcakes and fightingfish.

The game is great:D .

Oh so far my only minor complaint is how Juice mode is conveyed and activated. its a little hard to keep track of in the middle of the usual crazyness.

and yes destroying ninjas and snipers is :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
JambiBum said:

Uuuuuhhhh...

mondaynightcombatsplitscreen.gif

Haven't seen any split-screen pictures, thought I'd post one here. It's basically like resident evil and runs pretty damn smooth for what it is. Anybody else try split screen?

Eric WK

While the class balance is pretty damn good for a game of this size, the idea that the game has been out for a day and you think "no class is overpowered" is completely fucking laughable. We really don't know how significant the balance problems are, but they are there. For example, Gunners are insanely powerful right now and super easy to play. Unless you get sniped in the head or are an idiot, you probably won't die more than five times a game and will easily rack up dozens of kills from range.

d0c_zaius said:
Played a couple more matches and went from bottom to top of the leaderboards. Gunner is pretty crazy with a good support.

Good games Nubcakes and fightingfish.

The game is great:D .

Oh so far my only minor complaint is how Juice mode is conveyed and activated. its a little hard to keep track of in the middle of the usual crazyness.

and yes destroying ninjas and snipers is :D

Thanks! it was fun playing with some GAFfers for once. GG to nubcakes, BigKaboom2 and Agkel.

Seriously fun game, I don't make many impulse purchases, but this was a good one. I can see a few rough edges (getting my medic gun aimed at the right person is quite a bit harder than in TF2) but for $15 it's really solid. I hope that the GAF community sticks with it till at least the holiday season. At which point I'll probably be done as well.

JesseZao

Played this for a few hours with a couple of friends and am loving it. We dominated playing crossfire and have some more friends that will join us next time we play it.

I hope this game gets good support from the community and some reasonably priced DLC (new classes/endorsements? but free maps) in the future. It's a blast to play.

benson827

Banned
I;m not sure if this has been mentioned before but its a rather interesting find.

Remeber many years ago, there was a youtube vid of a guy doing MIrrors edge parkour in real life?

Well the animator of this game is the same guy that did that vid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/azoazotube

here's his channel, check it out. It's pretty interesting to see how that guy ended up in the video game industry.

Karram

I didn't even know that the game is out right now. From the GB Quick look it looked like a fun game will try it now.

JambiBum

benson827 said:
I;m not sure if this has been mentioned before but its a rather interesting find.

Remeber many years ago, there was a youtube vid of a guy doing MIrrors edge parkour in real life?

Well the animator of this game is the same guy that did that vid.

http://www.youtube.com/user/azoazotube

here's his channel, check it out. It's pretty interesting to see how that guy ended up in the video game industry.

He's also in the credits. He does parkour throughout while it shows the developers off.

Rad-

If there's a class that already needs a nerf it's the gunner. The minigun is stronger than the tank's laser beam. Why? The laser beam has horrible range, it should be more damaging of the two. Minigun can almost snipe people. :lol Currently I see no point in choosing the tank over the gunner, unless you're an uber champion with the rail gun.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
GGs tonight with Toubetsu, Jambi, and Ayo Jubei. You guys are crazy-good at this game...we didn't lose one game!

I've been sticking with the assassin class and have gotten much better now. Once you get that first custom class slot opened up and can add some perks, you can do a lot better. With extra armor I can survive people grappling me or other assassins' attempts to take me out and counter them. My "holy shit" moment tonight was running into the other team's money ball pit and taking out like 4-5 guys in a row, then running the hell out of there. I don't know how the hell I pulled that off! :lol

People who treat this game like a straight up run n' gun deathmatch game will lose it for their team. Playing with the right people makes all the difference.

Larsen B

I never got into TF2 so wasn't expecting much from this but was really impressed with the demo.

I've been playing as support but didn't realise how overpowered I apparently can be. Still learning the ropes but had a nice game with some random people in a Blitz.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Support is pretty overpowered....dat shotgun, whoa.

My friend hopped on with me earlier and we had a pretty dominating buddy system going on between support and gunner. Its almost unfair.

xbhaskarx

So this game has six classes, yet the tutorial only covers the Assault class? That's rather odd.

As the Gunner, how do you use the Gunner Deploy skill?

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
xbhaskarx said:
So this game has six classes, yet the tutorial only covers the Assault class? That's rather odd.

As the Gunner, how do you use the Gunner Deploy skill?

Press Y. How to play tells you a bit about the classes, for instance what their passive upgrades do.

Shoogoo

Hank The Tank said:
Press Y. How to play tells you a bit about the classes, for instance what their passive upgrades do.

Speaking of which, I don't understand what's being said on the Support passive in the How to play

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Can you only play the dota mode if you have 4 players, or can you play with 1-4 online?

ZeMMiK

A was only expecting CTF kind of gameplay, but it is DOA,Towerdefense and teamdeathmatch. impressive, bought it.

btw look at the credits... there is a movie.

One thing annoying me right now is that not enough people are being placed into lobby's, you will find there is two half filled rooms instead of one maxed out room, people don't wait longer then 30 seconds and then bail out resetting the start timer :/

It's morning in the UK and I doubt many people are online but come on, joining a match in progress is better then this :(

Hostile Paradox

Neo Member
Bought it yesterday when I woke up, played a bit, then I had to go to work : (

But once I got home again, I couldn't drop it until I had to go to bed. Great game.

If someone want's to party up/play against, add me to your friends list.

East Coast Time Zone -5:00GMT

GT: Hostile Paradox

I'm mostly playing support right now, so I will back you up :D

Top Bottom