• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monday Night Combat |OT| Some action on a monday night

barnone

I was trying to play splitscreen online and each of the three games placed us on opposing teams. It was quite frustrating to be honest, has anyone else encountered this or did we just face bad luck?

Coldsnap

Really enjoying this game. I got a pretty good strategy which involves chilling at the beginning then making big plays towards the end.

barnone said:
I was trying to play splitscreen online and each of the three games placed us on opposing teams. It was quite frustrating to be honest, has anyone else encountered this or did we just face bad luck?
Thats a current bug right now according to the Uber forums. They are working on a fix.

Palmer_v1

barnone said:

I was playing with some friends in a party, and I got separated a few times. Maybe 1/4 of the time. It's just bad luck for you that there were probably two parties of 5, so it made the most sense for it to split you up.

TheFreshPrince

I'm loving the game, but I feel like every one I play against is just going for kills.

I haven't seen any great strategies emerge...I'm usually the tank and try to bunch up with my bigger bots and push forward that way. Any tips for how to effectively get to the moneyball?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
TheFreshPrince said:
I'm loving the game, but I feel like every one I play against is just going for kills.

Yea I've seen that as well when I'm playing with randoms. I after the match is over, I just give feedback and avoid those kinds of players. It might take a long time but hopefully I'll only be matched up with people who realize this isn't TDM. Note that this is only for teams and players that should have steam rolled us but instead sit at the half way point and just try to rack up kills. I don't for the players that are actually trying to push.

Also, I'm terrible against the Sniper. That class makes my eye twitch right now.

Do we have a GAF XBL gamertag set up? Considering this is a team oriented game, Id rather play with yall than some guys doing nothing but playing TDM.

TheApatheticOne said:
Do we have a GAF XBL gamertag set up? Considering this is a team oriented game, Id rather play with yall than some guys doing nothing but playing TDM.

Add MNC GAF.

And damn I suck with support, it dosn't help either that the last matches half of my shots didn't registered.

TheOddOne

RiccochetJ said:
Yea I've seen that as well when I'm playing with randoms. I after the match is over, I just give feedback and avoid those kinds of players. It might take a long time but hopefully I'll only be matched up with people who realize this isn't TDM. Note that this is only for teams and players that should have steam rolled us but instead sit at the half way point and just try to rack up kills. I don't for the players that are actually trying to push.

Also, I'm terrible against the Sniper. That class makes my eye twitch right now.
Yeah, got a sweet payback today. Man felt so good to get revenge :D

Relaxed Muscle said:
Add MNC GAF.

And damn I suck with support, it dosn't help either that the last matches half of my shots didn't registered.

What's the point of adding gamertags like this? I just did, but how will it help me find gaffers to play with?

Rad-

Sniper McBlaze said:
What's the point of adding gamertags like this? I just did, but how will it help me find gaffers to play with?

Go to look what friends the tag has. You can see all the gaffers who are playing. We use this because some people have their friends list full.

KuroNeeko

Fun idea but balance between classes is horribly flawed.

There's a reason why you're seeing so many gunners and support characters. Especially support, wtf were they thinking - a shotgun that one shots up close, healing, a turret that you can plop down anywhere and is strong as hell. It's pretty ridiculous.

The assassin is hands-down the worse class in the game. The melee attack is subject to lag and a long cool down even if you miss. Stealth is easy broken and low life means you get one shot by everything.

The other three classes seem fairly balanced but I think the dev team could have spent a bit more time balancing the game. They've mentioned that it will be possible to patch / tune based on user feedback, but I don't think anyone will be left come a month from now.

legbone

i love playing as the assassin though. support does seem quite overpowered but there is no better feeling then sneaking up on the healing bitches and gutting them.

edit: if i miss or fuck up i smoke bomb my ass out of there. hell even if i connect i usually smoke bomb my ass out of there turning invisible on my way through the air. also, setting my gold sponsor on my custom class as armor has seemed to help me stay alive.

Rad-

I think the nerfs needed are:

Remove support's ability to find invisible assassins. Is this a glitch? By tapping LT you make them visible. Most broken support ability imo. Also add more down time when carrying your turret. You should not be able to place it again so quickly.

Gunner's minigun should have worse long range damage. It's pretty silly that with the accuracy gold endorsement, I can shoot snipers from 100 meter away.

Also buff the tank's fire gun. It seems so weak currently, and it has horrible range.

Coldsnap said:
How do the sponsors work? I opened my first custom class last night and just sorta randomly placed three of them.

I'm not sure, but there are 3 types (gold,silver and bronce) the gold give the highest bonus of whatever sponsor you want to add (more precision, more speed, etc...) and then silver and last bronze.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Through experimentation with new classes, I SUCK with Assassin. BADLY. I went 6-19. :lol :lol

I like Assault and Support so far. Didn't do so hot with Sniper either.

I really don't see a huge difference between Gunner & Heavy, anyone else?

Rad- said:

Remove support's ability to find invisible assassins. Is this a glitch? By tapping LT you make them visible. Most broken support ability imo. Also add more down time when carrying your turret. You should not be able to place it again so quickly.

Gunner's minigun should have worse long range damage. It's pretty silly that with the accuracy gold endorsement, I can shoot snipers from 100 meter away.

Also buff the tank's fire gun. It seems so weak currently, and it has horrible range.

I'd also like to add a better animation to the tank's Y ability when he gets grounded. It's hard to tell if you are grounded or not.

Rad- said:

You hurt them with the secondary fire of the healing gun, so they go visible, it sucks but how you gonna change that? it aims to the closer enemy that is in front you, if an assasin dosn't charge from the back is his fault.

K2Valor said:

There's a big difference, Gunner owns, Heavy dosn't.

legbone

K2Valor said:
Through experimentation with new classes, I SUCK with Assassin. BADLY. I went 6-19. :lol :lol

I like Assault and Support so far. Didn't do so hot with Sniper either.

yeah i hear ya. i started focusing on assasssin late last night. i am terrible with her but it is so much fun. i think my best round was 9-15 or something like that. oh well.

DrEvilbones

Neo Member
I don't get the complaints about the assassin class being weak. If anything, assassins seem to kill me more than any other class, and when they do, it's frustrating as hell. Maybe I'm just bad at being situationally aware (I seem to get backstabbed like a mother in TF2 also...)

Any tips on how to deal with the assassins? (besides "suck less," already working on that one, thanks!)

JesseZao

DrEvilbones said:
I don't get the complaints about the assassin class being weak. If anything, assassins seem to kill me more than any other class, and when they do, it's frustrating as hell. Maybe I'm just bad at being situationally aware (I seem to get backstabbed like a mother in TF2 also...)

Any tips on how to deal with the assassins? (besides "suck less," already working on that one, thanks!)

Last night, I was playing support custom class with armor as the gold perk (switched to this because I was dying almost exclusively to assassins while healing my 2 friends). That prevented one-shots so I could get help/kill them. The counter for them would probably be to take damage as gold. I don't know the exact details for what the different perks actually do with the maths, but hopefully somebody will figure that out soon.

ant_

I had no idea players could do damage to the ball during sudden death. We were dominating the whole match and then during sudden death we get an onslaught of assassins and they just circle around our moneyball and kill it. Not gonna lie, that was fucking stupid.

DrEvilbones said:

In my experience the assassins can really own in the early stages when they can one-shot kill with melee and wreck level one turrets really easily. But by the late game when I have more passive health upgrades (I play support) assassins sneak up and melee me, don't kill me and then I just chase them down and nail them with the shotgun.

As for support I can't argue that they are not a little overpowered, but I love playing support classes (Medic always in TF2 and BC2) so I ain't changing. I would think that the obvious counter would be snipers that can use long range fire to keep you away from healing your bots, nail your turrets from a distance and stay safe out of shotgun range. But aside from one pretty good sniper that I ran into my first game I don't seem to see many of them online.

Proven

Anti-Camp Strategies:
Support: His B skill, Airstrike, is powerful. It's made that way because it's the only way he has range without his hack skill. One Airstrike will take out any other Support turret unless it's at level 3 or at level 2 with an overbuff. Two will finish it off.

Gunner: His secondary is a mortar gun. It also upgrades at Passive 3 just like the minigun. It was designed for turret take downs; killing the players around them is just a bonus.

Assault: Grenade 3. 'Nuff said.

Tank: Product Bomb 3. Now you too have a turret melting mortar that also blinds players and stuns bots.

Assassin: You need to work together with someone if your opponent is smart. Use your Smoke Bomb.

Sniper: You have Flak, but will more than likely need help too.

As for overpowered stuff:
The support's turret skill has a MASSIVE cooldown. Picking it back up means getting a bonus with it, but it's only ever half way manageable at level 3. He already has that nerf built in.

Gunner: Every game like this has a big boss up close class. You always will have to sneak up on him or out maneuver him. His low speed makes him easier to aim at using anti-turret weaponry. The Assault can use his increased jumping height plus Fly for extra mobility. Otherwise, sneak up on him. Also, he's a hacked Rockit turret in deploy mode. Treat him like one.

Penguin

K2Valor said:
I had no idea players could do damage to the ball during sudden death. We were dominating the whole match and then during sudden death we get an onslaught of assassins and they just circle around our moneyball and kill it. Not gonna lie, that was fucking stupid.

I believe in sudden death, both balls drop and its pretty much who can destroy it first.

Makes sense.

DaBuddaDa

Shoogoo said:
32-4 as a support just now :)

I hope they balance the classes soon.
They can change balance on the fly, which is great. I expect they are currently monitoring games closely and will make some big adjustments soon once some balance consensuses are formed.

This game will have major legs if they keep tweaking the balance and add new maps periodically.

ant_

DaBuddaDa said:
They can change balance on the fly, which is great. I expect they are currently monitoring games closely and will make some big adjustments soon once some balance consensuses are formed.

This game will have major legs if they keep tweaking the balance and add new maps periodically.
For free, I hope

Plasma

Banned
Penguin said:
I believe in sudden death, both balls drop and its pretty much who can destroy it first.

Makes sense.

Yeah pretty much, the best strategy I've found is to just build up defences and keep racking up points until it goes into overtime, then go into the middle and buy juice, run into their base and shoot at the ball.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What are some good ways to play as an assassin? I'm kinda tired of playing snipper and gunner right now.
Plasma said:
Yeah pretty much, the best strategy I've found is to just build up defences and keep racking up points until it goes into overtime, then go into the middle and buy juice, run into their base and shoot at the ball.
You can buy juice?!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DY_nasty said:
What are some good ways to play as an assassin? I'm kinda tired of playing snipper and gunner right now.

You can buy juice?!

There's Juice dispensers in the arena, usually in the middle I think. Look for a widescreen LCD TV advertising juice. Just run up to it.

ant_

Found some new love for Assault. His grenades can fuck things up when used properly. And I love when snipers set down traps and wait for me to get iced, and then I just fly over it :lol

legbone

yeah, unfortunately i am one of the shitty ones. but at least i have a gameplan and not just running wild trying to backstab the nearest fool. i like to creep slowly with the level 3 cloak that regenerates when you are standing still. that's the shit.

JambiBum

Tokubetsu said:
There are a lot of shitty assassins out there.
And a lot of good ones :D You gonna be around today?

You're right though. Yesterday I played a guy who went 2-23 as an assassin. Just made me laugh.

robot

cant wait to finally sit down with this later. if anyones looking to play Blitz around 9pm eastern, add me (pepperjack).

JambiBum

legbone said:
sadly that was probably me.
Most of the time I get 20+ kills as an assassin. If you want, I can try and give you a few pointers yesterday like I did with Toku. It's really the only class I play. Sometimes I'll hop over to a gunner if we have too many assassins on our team but that's it.

I'll be hoping on in one hour. Ive only played that opening tutorial. In GAFers going to be on that can get me up to speed and get some games in? :lol

Lunchbox

Banned
hey ASSassins, keep running straight at my shotgun

love the 30+ kills im getting almost every game.
support class is overpowered

Tokubetsu

JambiBum said:
And a lot of good ones :D You gonna be around today?

You're right though. Yesterday I played a guy who went 2-23 as an assassin. Just made me laugh.

As soon as I finish packing this bowl I'll get on :D

Top Bottom