• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monitor squealing at startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bleh, I have a bad feeling about this...

My monitor (4 year old Samsung 955DF) has just started to develop a slight problem. When I go to bed, I turn the power to the monitor off. After sitting all night, turning it on in the morning causes the coils to squeal loudly for about 5 seconds or so. This only occurs when the monitor has been switched off for a while (turning off, waiting 5 minutes, and then switching back on does not cause the problem).

Normal operation has been just fine, but I fear that something may be going. Considering that I just bought a new HDTV set, I'd rather not spend money on a new monitor as well (especially considering how much I love this one). My warranty is up, obviously, but I've also heard that the newer 955 monitors are actually budget monitors now and look a lot worse. :\

Any ideas? Should I just let it go and forget about it?

fart

Savant
if it's coil wine it's not the tube! good news!!!!
:(

i don't think it's in its death throes but who knows man

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I have a dell montior that has been squeling at start up for well over a year. Never could figure out why. I just leave the monitor off while booting up.

edit: oh yours does it when you power on the monitor? Mine only happens during boot up if the monitor has been off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom