• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Nicktals

Banned
Had some good hunts tonight. Ended up getting lost trying to figure out a lance set. finally figured out and decided on sharpness +1, guard +2, and stun+2.

Any lancing tips? I've lanced about 5 times now, and just have a grasp on the basic controls/rhythm to lancing. Are there more advanced moves?

upandaway

Nicktals said:
Had some good hunts tonight. Ended up getting lost trying to figure out a lance set. finally figured out and decided on sharpness +1, guard +2, and stun+2.

Any lancing tips? I've lanced about 5 times now, and just have a grasp on the basic controls/rhythm to lancing. Are there more advanced moves?
Well if you went for Guard+2 you may as well forget dodging and just counter everything

Also for monsters that are freaking out when paralyzed, you might be better off counter canceling (countering after the 2nd jab) instead of evading and resuming combo. Like, upper x2 (1)->counter->upper x3->evade back->resume (1). It keeps you mostly in the same spot (since upper jabs move you forward). And if you're using normal jabs then you resume into the counter cancel combo without evading.

If the monster is really weak elementally, and you have the sharpness, use a ton of the charging move since it racks up elemental damage

For monsters like Barioth and Qurupeco that you usually roll towards them to dodge them, you can quickly do a 180 with a Lance and dodge backwards to the same effect (also puts you in position for a quick jab/charge into his ass). Better with Evasion though

Nicktals said:

Mostly it's learning when to counterattack, when to guard, and when to evade via sidestep or backhop. It's somewhat easier to learn those things by playing offline.

Other than that, you need to get a feel for when to use certain attacks and what kind of openings in your defense they leave. The shield bash is a great attack and a good way to cover ground and start a combo, but it also leaves you wide open, for instance.

Since we're asking for advice, any tips for a beginner gunner? I've actually gunned around a dozen times now and I'm at least competent if not all that great.

Also

I'll be on Friday evening but it doesn't look like I'll be on this weekend, though Sunday evening is a possibility.

Pay attention to how many shots are left in your clip/magazine. Firing with an empty clip/magazine leaves you stuck in a "jammed" animation.

Stay in the 3-5 roll distance away from the monster to maximize pierce damage. The optimal range is shortened if your gun's range is less than 1 though.

DragonGirl said:
Since we're asking for advice, any tips for a beginner gunner? I've actually gunned around a dozen times now and I'm at least competent if not all that great.

Also

I'll be on Friday evening but it doesn't look like I'll be on this weekend, though Sunday evening is a possibility.

Info? I'll be on then too. Sorry if you already posted it.

Sleep Arrest said:
Info? I'll be on then too. Sorry if you already posted it.

Just look for Khory. I usually head to the Expert server unless I warp to join somebody. I tend to come on pretty regular times. If I say evening, that typically means around 7:00 central time. Afternoon means around 1:00 central. I'm most often on weekends though now I'm trying to add Friday evenings onto my schedule.

There isn't a GAF room any more. It was originally on the recruiting server on one of rooms that got cut when Capcom trimmed down the number of servers for MH3. Most active GAFfers are on each other's friend lists so we just look to see who's on. I'm pretty easy to find as I mentioned on my above post.

Oh, I'm on the NA servers, BTW.

Chuckpebble

I thought someone kind of settled on something a few pages back.

Hang on. Processing...

EDIT:

OK, nevermind. Seems like a case of mis-remembering. Can we try and have an official locale again though? I go on at such random times, its just easier to pop into a room first and then look for randoms rather than check this thread.

Nix

Banned
People still playing? I'm looking to get back into Tri, but I don't really want to use my old character. I thought I might go with lance or heavybowgun this time. What do you guy's think?

Oh, and anyone that's low HR doing runs?

DragonGirl said:
And now, something just for fun. My wish list of existing monsters I'd love to hunt in a hypothetical Tri G.

Movies!

Amatsumagatsuchi

Raviente

White Raviente

Rukodiora

Aoashira

Doboruberuku

Rangurotora

Urukususu

Jinouga

Kirin

Nono and Kamu

To name a few.

Edit: And here I think I'll add to my list.

doragyurosu

Deyuragaua

I have to admit I'm not very informed about any of the monsters outside of Tri. Looking at these I'm feeling rather impatient waiting for the next console Monster Hunter game. Oh Tri G why must you torture me with your nonexistence! Thanks for the vids. You told me Raviente was a big fella but I was not expecting something of that scale. Jhen is a kitten in comparison.

I just hopped online. Anyone care for some hunting? I think it's the last day of the storm.

Nicktals

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
I have to admit I'm not very informed about any of the monsters outside of Tri. Looking at these I'm feeling rather impatient waiting for the next console Monster Hunter game. Oh Tri G why must you torture me with your nonexistence! Thanks for the vids. You told me Raviente was a big fella but I was not expecting something of that scale. Jhen is a kitten in comparison.

I just hopped online. Anyone care for some hunting? I think it's the last day of the storm.

Still on?

Also, wow...Watching a few of those really makes me want to invest in the respective systems...Or just wish harder for Tri G, at least.

hiro4

Does anyone know where you can check the status of the servers?
Since the servers in Europe do not show in the server list right now.

I only get the your rank doesn't match message.

Chuckpebble

Nicktals said:
Probably going to get on in half an hour or so...anyone up for it?

Last I checked, the system is down. This was 2 hours ago now. Login works fine, but the server lists are blank.

EDIT: woops, beaten. Anyway, it appears to be US and EU both down. Snow makes it sound like some sort of issue. I'm hopeful they come back up and the US and EU servers are merged.

Nicktals

Banned
Lame. Had the evening free and was finally going to get some good time with it...don't really feel like farming offline either. Oh well, hope it gets fixed soon!

Nicktals said:
Lame. Had the evening free and was finally going to get some good time with it...don't really feel like farming offline either. Oh well, hope it gets fixed soon!

Servers are back up! I could go for a few hunts right about now. Still in the mood?

Chuckpebble said:
I decided it had to be in this most epic of threads. I followed this baby from the first post, and have been playing this game since launch day as a result. Alien Manobo mentioned my youtube channel a few posts back, I'm GDorofu and yeah, I'm a dude.

I'm a bit late to reply to this, but did you just get your account activated? Anyhoo, Welcome to GAF!

Nicktals said:
Also, wow...Watching a few of those really makes me want to invest in the respective systems...Or just wish harder for Tri G, at least.

Chopper Dave said:
I'm feeling rather impatient waiting for the next console Monster Hunter game.

Would you guys finally buy a PS3 whenever MHP3rd HD gets localized?

Seems like I've been missing out on some hunts you guys are having. My Wii seems to still live for yet another hunt session. Anyone on right now, I'm mining at Greed 4/40.

EDIT: I'm with Lance right now. Anyone else, feel free to join us.

Chuckpebble

Alien Manobo said:
I'm a bit late to reply to this, but did you just get your account activated? Anyhoo, Welcome to GAF!

Would you guys finally buy a PS3 whenever MHP3rd HD gets localized?

Seems like I've been missing out on some hunts you guys are having. My Wii seems to still live for yet another hunt session. Anyone on right now, I'm mining at Greed 4/40.

EDIT: I'm with Lance right now. Anyone else, feel free to join us.

Yeah, missed you there a bit. I finally get through and your Wii craps out. My drive used to intermittently not load disks. Tri especially. You should hop onto configureable USB loader before yours gives out entirely. Thats what I did, works great.

I'm heading online right now. I'll be on for a couple hours.

Edit: No sooner do I get on when my internet connection eats it. If I disconnect yet again I'm just going to call it a night.

Chuckpebble said:
Yeah, missed you there a bit. I finally get through and your Wii craps out. My drive used to intermittently not load disks. Tri especially. You should hop onto configureable USB loader before yours gives out entirely. Thats what I did, works great.

I think the problem is more with the grounding/power strip than with the disc drive. When I was playing with Lance BP a few nights ago, I have been getting frequent blackouts/flickers along with no sound, but when I place my hand on top of my Wii everything becomes stable again.

Or it could be just a simple cable issue, but I remember getting those blackouts before when I was using my S-video cable though much less frequent than what I'm experiencing now.

I'll be mining/fishing again later on, if anyone wants to keep me company: Greed 4/40.

I need parts for a Blazing Falchion;

■5 Rathalos Carapace
■2 Rath Medulla
■1 Rathalos Ruby

I don't think I can get them normally with the current 5 star Rathalos quest offline, so does anyone want to join up for an online hunt that can produce these? I heard Double Trouble can yeild rubies. Which I think is indeed the Rathalos and Rathian quest, looks epic, but Rathalos is damn hard, I've killed many Rathian, but guh at Rathalos.

Also by now the Great Jaggi is pittaful with the Djinn. lol Beat it in like 20 seconds I think. XD

Hero of Legend said:
I need parts for a Blazing Falchion;

■5 Rathalos Carapace
■2 Rath Medulla
■1 Rathalos Ruby

I don't think I can get them normally with the current 5 star Rathalos quest offline, so does anyone want to join up for an online hunt that can produce these? I heard Double Trouble can yeild rubies. Which I think is indeed the Rathalos and Rathian quest, looks epic, but Rathalos is damn hard, I've killed many Rathian, but guh at Rathalos.

Also by now the Great Jaggi is pittaful with the Djinn. lol Beat it in like 20 seconds I think. XD
Try Rathalos x Barioth event for Ruby, I think it's up right now.

B-Dex

So I managed to snag a Red Wii, so I got myself the Tri Bundle!

Think i'm gonna go with SnS and SA maybe. I like being a bit more mobile. Greatswords are just tooo slow and lances have a small specific area they hit and I tend to miss a lot. (Bad at the game lol)

Boney

Banned
I started right away with the GS, cause it's the most iconic weapon for a reason.

Fuck was it hard to lay down the basics. Loved every second of it. Finally beating down that Great Jaggi, just by dodging was so freakin good. One of the best gaming moments ever for me.

upandaway

Eh I don't really get all the talk about choosing a specific weapon. I just kinda used all of them except for GS and Bowgun (and I later picked up both too).

Aside from gunning, I don't think the weapons are THAT different that one could love one and hate the other. And even with gunning, the core is still very much the same as blades master.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So why on Earth is the classic controller pro bundle so expensive? It runs at 85€ on thehut and a whopping 199€ on amazon.fr. Are people that dead set on getting the box it comes in or something?

Orayn

Kilrogg said:
So why on Earth is the classic controller pro bundle so expensive? It runs at 85€ on thehut and a whopping 199€ on amazon.fr. Are people that dead set on getting the box it comes in or something?
I'm fairly certain it was a limited print run. You're better off just getting the game and the CCPro separately. (Definitely get the CCPro, though. It's godlike.)
Boney said:
I started right away with the GS, cause it's the most iconic weapon for a reason.

Fuck was it hard to lay down the basics. Loved every second of it. Finally beating down that Great Jaggi, just by dodging was so freakin good. One of the best gaming moments ever for me.
The GS is my favorite too. Extremely versatile, very straightforward, and packs enough punch to be useful in multiplayer.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Orayn said:
I'm fairly certain it was a limited print run. You're better off just getting the game and the CCPro separately. (Definitely get the CCPro, though. It's godlike.)

Still, I don't get it, but that's probably because I've never been a collector.

I definitely plan to get one at some point. I have 2 Classic Controllers, which are decent I guess, but L, R, Z1 and Z2 suck on those things, especially for fighting games. Z1 and Z2 aren't comfortable to use, and L and R are analog which is awful for any games that doesn't make use of that function (i.e. almost every single game).

Top Bottom