• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

You can see it before buying. The part that is responsible for the rapid fire activation is already highlighted at the numbers.

Raide

Any good suggestions for a starter Gunner set? I seem to be collecting all weapons, except the guns, mainly because I am rubbish at using them. :D

Poyunch

Are you guys going to be on Saturday? I'm finally free for a Saturday run and I've wanted to hunt with you guys since I never really got to play that one time. :/

Alien Manobo said:
It's always fun playing with GAF.
But I couldn't be there for it. x_x

Raide said:
Any good suggestions for a starter Gunner set? I seem to be collecting all weapons, except the guns, mainly because I am rubbish at using them. :D
How far along are you? If you're not really using them at the moment and you haven't reached HR 51+, you might as well wait until you get to HR 51+. The best guns/sets are not available until you get that far.

Scoops

Banned
Got this game last summer a few months after it came out in NA. Only getting around to it now, but it's nice that the online community is still strong.

It's a pretty fun game too. As someone that has never really played console RPGs though I found the hub world and interface a bit overwhelming.

Arrgh, Okay, I found the page with the ammo info. I always always forget that stat screen has multiple pages.

Gunning is kinda fun, but very monotonous in single player. It definitely can't hold my attention like using a blade so I think I've gone far enough in single with it to do it competently online. Now to make a non crap gunning set up.

Arveene

Neo Member
I've been HR 51+ for awhile now. (I think I'm in the 60s or 70s?)

Anyways, I haven't played MH3 in like 10 months or so. I've been thinking of playing again. Is there a certain day everyone tends to play on? or a particular channel (i forgot what they're called) that everyone gathers in?

DragonGirl said:
Gunning is kinda fun, but very monotonous in single player. It definitely can't hold my attention like using a blade so I think I've gone far enough in single with it to do it competently online. Now to make a non crap gunning set up.
Solo gunning can be tedious if you aren't running Adrenaline to speed things up. The quest will seem to drag on since you have to find openings to reload or combine ammo every so often. Especially if you're used to the LS or lance where you beating the crap out of the monster constantly.

My favorite part of gunning is nailing those flying monsters that like troll blade users. Just today, I somehow managed to stagger Los out of the air while it was flying up to leave the area. Twice. So satisfying.

Arveene said:
I've been HR 51+ for awhile now. (I think I'm in the 60s or 70s?)

Anyways, I haven't played MH3 in like 10 months or so. I've been thinking of playing again. Is there a certain day everyone tends to play on? or a particular channel (i forgot what they're called) that everyone gathers in?
You need to state your region since EU and NA are different. It sucks that it's not all one region, but then again, there's also the 4 person room issue with the NA/EU region Monster Hunter Tri.

NA GAF MH has about 5 or 6 semi-active NA players, which is pretty awkward on the weekends when there are group get-togethers. If you're a skype user, you'll probably get priority (disclaimer: I am not a skype user due to computer/network cable logistical issues).

upandaway

So I'm about 4-5 quests away from finishing every quest (both online and offline). They're all from the 6 star online.

Once I finish those, I think I'll take a break from the game. I don't really feel burnt out yet, but I think I'm close (so I'd rather take a break now before it really hits me).

I actually still have a ton of not-fully-upgraded weapons that I seldom used (that I'll probably never use). When I think about it, I pretty much made every element/status of every weapon except GS. I should have known it would be impossible! haha

By the way I noticed a severe drop in my skill when I got used to online. Just today I used all my Mega Potions in Double Trouble (which I once did without using a single one when I did it offline). I really miss not being so sloppy. And handicapping myself is physically impossible to me. So I think I like offline more.

Arveene

Neo Member
Lance Bone Path said:
You need to state your region since EU and NA are different. It sucks that it's not all one region, but then again, there's also the 4 person room issue with the NA/EU region Monster Hunter Tri.

NA GAF MH has about 5 or 6 semi-active NA players, which is pretty awkward on the weekends when there are group get-togethers. If you're a skype user, you'll probably get priority (disclaimer: I am not a skype user due to computer/network cable logistical issues).

Ah crap. I forgot about that, I'm on NA servers. I just logged in yesterday and did the Rage Match event quest a few times with some others. Anyone up doing that this weekend? I'm free all weekend.

PounchEnvy said:
Are you guys going to be on Saturday? I'm finally free for a Saturday run and I've wanted to hunt with you guys since I never really got to play that one time. :/

I've got a wedding to attend this Saturday so I can't join you guys anytime that day. :(

I'll be on Sunday though if anyone is up to it.

DragonGirl said:
Arrgh, Okay, I found the page with the ammo info. I always always forget that stat screen has multiple pages.

Nice, I look forward to seeing it in action the next time we play. Bowgun was the weapon that got me hooked on Monster Hunter when the demo first released. I love the variety of attacks granted by differing ammo types. I love mixing gun parts to achieve the ammo specs and reload/recoil that feels just right. Oh how I miss hunting new monsters and returning to the village to see new barrels/frames/stocks ready to forge. I played through single player sticking exclusively to bowgun for each and every new quest. It took me awhile before I got around to experimenting with melee weapons.

Little Green Yoda said:
Solo gunning can be tedious if you aren't running Adrenaline to speed things up. The quest will seem to drag on since you have to find openings to reload or combine ammo every so often. Especially if you're used to the LS or lance where you beating the crap out of the monster constantly.

I never run adrenaline and solo quests don't drag on anymore than other weapons. If you can reload your primary ammo at the fastest speed(2 sec) you don't really need to look hard for time to reload. One of the reasons I love gunning so much is the ability to constantly barrage monsters no matter how/when/where they jump/fly/run/crawl around.

Little Green Yoda said:
My favorite part of gunning is nailing those flying monsters that like troll blade users. Just today, I somehow managed to stagger Los out of the air while it was flying up to leave the area. Twice. So satisfying.

Awwww yea :D Counting your para/sleep shots is also a fun way of guaranteeing a flying monster a nasty fall. Killing flying monsters in the air is such an amazing feel good moment of gunning as well especially when they're seconds from escaping or diving down to rip your neck off(Barioth). Poor Gigginox isn't a fan of the weapon either. He doesn't fly so much as he slowly crawls around on the ceiling patiently begging for gunners to swat him down.

I'll try to get on at 1:00 central time on both Sat and Sun but I might not be able to stay long. I'm going to be busy helping my mom put together a monster sized garage sale. Even the house is for sale.

Raide

MatthewB92 said:
Bought MHTri today now I just need to learn how to play it with a CCP.

Pretty easy to get things sorted. Combat is easy but getting use to the item list can take a while. If you have only just started, at least you get to practice on the easy stuff. :D

Bentendo

MatthewB92 said:
Bought MHTri today now I just need to learn how to play it with a CCP.

I just bought MHTri at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Kansas City, Kansas for $19.99. I won't be able to play online until next month though. :(

Also, should I get the Classic Controller Pro? I have around 25 or so Wii games but I surprisingly never got a Classic Controller. Is it worth it?

Raide

Bentendo said:
I just bought MHTri at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Kansas City, Kansas for $19.99. I won't be able to play online until next month though. :(

Also, should I get the Classic Controller Pro? I have around 25 or so Wii games but I surprisingly never got a Classic Controller. Is it worth it?

Hrmm...play with Wii Remote, see how you get on. If you find the camera stuff annoying, get a CCP. I found the Remote really annoying when it comes to running around a monster and having to use the D-Pad to rotate the camera. Dual Thumbsticks is perfect for camera use.

upandaway

Bentendo said:

Try the Wiimote first. If you feel like it just doesn't work, it may be worth the money. And even if you have some expendable cash, try the Wiimote out first.

If your concern is how the control translates to game skill, really, unless you use the GS, or are aiming for insanely high never-get-hit-andrenalin-speedrun levels, the controller is irrelevant so long as you're comfortable with it.

Bentendo

Okay, thanks! I'm not planning on becoming a pro or anything, and bad cameras never actually bother me that much anyway. If I do find that I need a Classic Controller, I found that Amazon is selling them for 14.95, which is about five dollars cheaper than they normally cost.

upandaway

I should elaborate on the GS part actually. If you ever feel like you want to use the Great Sword extensively, you might need to get a CC. It's severely handicapped with the Wiimote controls.

What do I need to do to get the camera controls to the Right stick? All the right stick does is attack and I don't know what I'm doing wrong lol.

Raide

MatthewB92 said:
What do I need to do to get the camera controls to the Right stick? All the right stick does is attack and I don't know what I'm doing wrong lol.

Check you options. Right stick cam instead of attack is in there.

ShinNL

MatthewB92 said:
You have to choose Classic Controller 1 and not Classic Controller 2 control setup. Note that those options have nothing to do with CC and CCPro. One is PSP mode (using buttons to attack, right stick is camera) and one is PS2 mode (using right stick to attack).

I believe you get this prompt if you start the game (which control setup to use), if not you can still change it in the options of the main menu.

There's no option to change the right-stick only, so the post above mine is very confusing.

Wow I'm a moron I went to the in game options not the main menu options lol. Well now it's time to help some HR9s and under so I can try to get my skills back :p

ShinNL

upandaway said:
I should elaborate on the GS part actually. If you ever feel like you want to use the Great Sword extensively, you might need to get a CC. It's severely handicapped with the Wiimote controls.
It's handicapped?

upandaway

Soneet said:
Hold Wii-mote in erect mode while unsheathing to go straight into charge mode..
It.. doesn't work. I tried it a million times. Both with A and with +.

Maybe something's fucked with my Wiimote. Oh well. If you say it's possible then I take it all back.

ShinNL

upandaway said:
It.. doesn't work. I tried it a million times. Both with A and with +.

Maybe something's fucked with my Wiimote. Oh well. If you say it's possible then I take it all back.
Lemme check it for you.

Edit: Vertical + A = charge draw. I have unsheathe on shake disabled, so the A button is always for charge draw (and only works if wiimote is held vertically). + unsheathes normally.

upandaway

Yeah that doesn't work. And when I tried looking more into normal charging, it seems that doesn't ALWAYS work, either. So that's clear, although I'll also check with a different Wiimote later.

I'm really relieved. I thought forever that you really couldn't draw into a charge (I asked it in the thread too multiple times, where the hell were you). And the GS is really fun otherwise.
Thank god that's over.

ShinNL

upandaway said:
Yeah that doesn't work. And when I tried looking more into normal charging, it seems that doesn't ALWAYS work, either. So that's clear, although I'll also check with a different Wiimote later.

I'm really relieved. I thought forever that you really couldn't draw into a charge (I asked it in the thread too multiple times, where the hell were you). And the GS is really fun otherwise.
Thank god that's over.
Now this may sound a bit weird, but have you held the Wiimote straight up into the air? Because in certain sitting positions, you don't really hold the wiimote straight up even if you tilt slightly up.

If it's not that, then your wiimote sounds broken.

Anyway, only CC1 setup has missing moves, nunchuck and CC2 have all the moves.

Disguises

Soneet said:
Now this may sound a bit weird, but have you held the Wiimote straight up into the air? Because in certain sitting positions, you don't really hold the wiimote straight up even if you tilt slightly up.

If it's not that, then your wiimote sounds broken.

Really? Which moves are they?

ShinNL

Disguises said:
Really? Which moves are they?
You lose instant-item-use with SnS (forced to use guard first, which delays it so much it defeats the purpose), instant-counter with Lance (without guard or combo) and instant-side-step-slash (without combo) with LS.

The only skill advantage is being able to go into counter from guard position with Lance which other setups can't. Kind of a mini bonus of CC1's own limitation.

udivision

MatthewB92 said:
I'm gonna have to stick with Wiimote+Nunchuck. Just feels better to me.

I had gamefly for about 7 months last year.
Oh, I see.

Wiimote+Nunchuck is fine (I used it originally before getting the CC2), but I'm so used to pressing buttons to do the different combos now that angling the wiimote seems a little weird.

Remfin

upandaway said:

Thank god that's over.
From what I recall the problem is vertical/"too" vertical flips whatever axis and it no longer detects it as vertical. Make sure you aren't accidentally pointing it back at yourself but are still pointing it forward when you go "vertical." It is really touchy.

Chopper Dave said:
I never run adrenaline and solo quests don't drag on anymore than other weapons. If you can reload your primary ammo at the fastest speed(2 sec) you don't really need to look hard for time to reload. One of the reasons I love gunning so much is the ability to constantly barrage monsters no matter how/when/where they jump/fly/run/crawl around.
Really? Maybe I need to just get better at soloing with a gun lol. I recall Jho taking me ~35 minutes w/o Adrenaline. Actually, I don't think I've tried too many online bowgun solos other than Jho. I should do that. <_<

Soneet said:
How do non-CC1ers deal with camera control? Particularly when you're close to (or under) a large monster and its shifting body keeps blocking your view. Permanent low camera angle? Using the "center camera" button a lot more?

I'm starting to think that CC1's greater camera freedom tempts me to fine-tune and adjust the camera too much during a quest, leading to me getting hit more often than I should be. Also, perhaps another reason why I prefer gunning more since this issue pops up less often.

Little Green Yoda said:
Really? Maybe I need to just get better at soloing with a gun lol. I recall Jho taking me ~35 minutes w/o Adrenaline. Actually, I don't think I've tried too many online bowgun solos other than Jho. I should do that. <_<

How do non-CC1ers deal with camera control? Particularly when you're close to (or under) a large monster and its shifting body keeps blocking your view. Permanent low camera angle? Using the "center camera" button a lot more?

I'm starting to think that CC1's greater camera freedom tempts me to fine-tune and adjust the camera too much during a quest, leading to me getting hit more often than I should be. Also, perhaps another reason why I prefer gunning more since this issue pops up less often.
Main reason I didn't like using the CCP1 setup was because the camera. On the Wiimote+Nunchuck setup I have my thumb on the D-Pad and A button the whole time.

Luigiv

Little Green Yoda said:

In CC2 mode you can reach for the d-pad with your right thumb (it's more comfortable then the claw).

ShinNL

Little Green Yoda said:

CC2 user here. I have my camera always on that slightly sky view since I can judge distanced better that way. I've sunk 500+ hours in each MH game since MHF1 and I have never used the "claw". So I basically only play with center-button + adjusting camera whenever possible. So things I subconsciously developed:

Sometimes I just do a roll just for giving me time to adjust the camera.
Walking a bit twitchy because sometimes I just zig-zag to make sure I can center the camera on the monster.
Using the camera on every possible moment when you can't move anyway: rolling, diving, using items, during an attack combo, guard stun, shooting recoil, collecting items, carving, etc.

It's not like you miss a lot of camera control if you master all that. It's like this:
Nunchuck can't adjust the camera while in a combo: requires the right thumb during that.
CC2 can't adjust the camera while moving: requires the left thumb during that.
CC1 left stick camera can't adjust the camera while moving: requires left thumb during that.
CC1 right stick camera can't adjust the camera while in a combo: requires the right thumb during that.

So are people who are using CC1, using their left or right stick camera as optimally to get the max benefit of dual cameras? I doubt it, I assume most don't even use both of the cameras and are only used to 1.

Nice to see new and old GAFers enjoying MH3.

Looks like my MH days are going to be cut short again, been a bit busy IRL trying to land 2 extra jobs and figuring out a way to squeeze in enough time to study for a new course.

What a crazy week this has been, wish I could get the time to play with you guys soon.

Luigiv

Soneet said:
So are people who are using CC1, using their left or right stick camera as optimally to get the max benefit of dual cameras? I doubt it, I assume most don't even use both of the cameras and are only used to 1.
I use both myself, but I'm probably a minority on that one.

Raide

Had a really weird MH Crossover dream last night. There was a group of 4 of us hunting Curopeco but we were using Brink style sliding, dodging and jumping over objects. I then woke up thinking that would be soooooo awesome. :D

Back to MH.

Top Bottom