• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Raide said:
Had a really weird MH Crossover dream last night. There was a group of 4 of us hunting Curopeco but we were using Brink style sliding, dodging and jumping over objects. I then woke up thinking that would be soooooo awesome. :D

Back to MH.

I had a Monster Hunter dream last night. It involved a large dinosaurian creature chasing a cow through the crumbling ruins of an ancient city. The dream was from the cow's perspective.

Raide

DragonGirl said:
I had a Monster Hunter dream last night. It involved a large dinosaurian creature chasing a cow through the crumbling ruins of an ancient city. The dream was from the cow's perspective.

:D Funny and scary at the same time.

Soneet said:
Sometimes I just do a roll just for giving me time to adjust the camera.
Walking a bit twitchy because sometimes I just zig-zag to make sure I can center the camera on the monster.
Using the camera on every possible moment when you can't move anyway: rolling, diving, using items, during an attack combo, guard stun, shooting recoil, collecting items, carving, etc.

It's not like you miss a lot of camera control if you master all that. It's like this:
Nunchuck can't adjust the camera while in a combo: requires the right thumb during that.
CC2 can't adjust the camera while moving: requires the left thumb during that.
CC1 left stick camera can't adjust the camera while moving: requires left thumb during that.
CC1 right stick camera can't adjust the camera while in a combo: requires the right thumb during that.

So are people who are using CC1, using their left or right stick camera as optimally to get the max benefit of dual cameras? I doubt it, I assume most don't even use both of the cameras and are only used to 1.
I knew the D-pad could control the camera with the CCP1 setup but it never occurred to me to switch my left thumb up to manipulate the camera while comboing. Resting my left thumb on the movement stick while I can't move sounds so stupid and inefficient in retrospect.

This information should help me a lot when lancing large monsters. Thanks!

Proven

Soneet said:
CC2 user here. I have my camera always on that slightly sky view since I can judge distanced better that way. I've sunk 500+ hours in each MH game since MHF1 and I have never used the "claw". So I basically only play with center-button + adjusting camera whenever possible. So things I subconsciously developed:

Sometimes I just do a roll just for giving me time to adjust the camera.
Walking a bit twitchy because sometimes I just zig-zag to make sure I can center the camera on the monster.
Using the camera on every possible moment when you can't move anyway: rolling, diving, using items, during an attack combo, guard stun, shooting recoil, collecting items, carving, etc.

It's not like you miss a lot of camera control if you master all that. It's like this:
Nunchuck can't adjust the camera while in a combo: requires the right thumb during that.
CC2 can't adjust the camera while moving: requires the left thumb during that.
CC1 left stick camera can't adjust the camera while moving: requires left thumb during that.
CC1 right stick camera can't adjust the camera while in a combo: requires the right thumb during that.

So are people who are using CC1, using their left or right stick camera as optimally to get the max benefit of dual cameras? I doubt it, I assume most don't even use both of the cameras and are only used to 1.

I see, so part of the reason I enjoy Nunchuck so much is because I prefer moving the camera while running about and before I start attacking. If all else fails, I can hit C and center the camera behind me during a combo.

I won't be on this Saturday, I need to take my cat to the vet. I'm planning on being on at the usual time on Sunday though.

Edit: Crap, I've just remembered I have to go to a nephew's birthday party on Sunday. That being the case I plan to get on tonight and tomorrow night. The Lagi/Rath land arena event is live, and looking at the Loc Lacian sky, a sand storm might spring up soon.

I plan to get on this Sunday same time as usual, but there is a possibility I won't be able to make it. If I can't I'll edit this post Sunday around noon.

Raide

For those that got into MH Tri, did you also get Portable 3rd as well? I must admit, I was not really interested in Monster Hunter until I got Tri. Now I am interested in seeing what else is out there. I hope 3rd HD appears on US/EU shores, since I will pick it up then.

Chuckpebble

I decided it had to be in this most epic of threads. I followed this baby from the first post, and have been playing this game since launch day as a result. Alien Manobo mentioned my youtube channel a few posts back, I'm GDorofu and yeah, I'm a dude.

I was excited to see this thread come to life recently and now it seems dead again since E3 and a few more drive failures. Anyway, this brings me to my point:

Is Monster Hunter Tri a drive killer? I have some crackpot theories for anyone who's willing to humor me. In order from plausible to what the heck am I smokin':

The sheer amount of play time may be a cause.
I put in about 600 hours then my drive started making noise. I hate the meme that sums this up, so I'll avoid it, but still, I know I'm part of a small group of Wii owners who actually log a ton of play time on the little machine.

Is the way data is stored on the disk partially to blame?
I guess more linear games can have the game data arranged in more optimized ways, such as to reduce seek times and drive strain. Even before my drive started to make abnormal sounds, I did notice this game seemed to give the drive a good workout, seeking around randomly quite often. The silver lining to all of this being that it was a pretty handy tell for when a random monster appeared somewhere on the map.

Is the fact that the disk has a full color label a possible culprit?
My Tri disk gives intermittent grinding sounds while other disks, such as Metroid Prime Trilogy, are still whisper quiet. If its not the printing, maybe there was some cheapness involved in the plastic disk itself? Shrug.

Anyway, while my drive still mostly worked, I bit the bullet and installed the HBC and Config Loader. Very happy with it, especially since it saved me 80 bucks.

Boogiepop

Any chance anyone would be willing to give me some end-of-the-single-player level gear? Lost all data on my Wii a while back after I had beaten Caedeus, but I've been kind of wanting to get back into things recently, and I realized all I really need is some gear to get back on track. Pretty much anything would do, and would be much appreciated. (Though I probably couldn't do anything till tomorrow afternoon, as it's kind of late and I have yet to set anything up.)

Lenardo

Banned
my son and i have to restart the game

our Wii broke , we sent it to get fixed (91 dollars) and they had to replace ALL the insides..all save data was deleted.

we had ~200hrs on the game and loved it.

we also had 1000+hrs on ssbb, 400 or so on mario kart, 400ish on lego star wars, 100ish on galaxy etc etc

the wii we bought for xmas release year, first repair kept all save data (2ish years ago) just the drive went.

we have 120ish wii games total

Mank said:
Any chance anyone would be willing to give me some end-of-the-single-player level gear? Lost all data on my Wii a while back after I had beaten Caedeus, but I've been kind of wanting to get back into things recently, and I realized all I really need is some gear to get back on track. Pretty much anything would do, and would be much appreciated. (Though I probably couldn't do anything till tomorrow afternoon, as it's kind of late and I have yet to set anything up.)

gear (& the carves used to make it) can't actually be traded. you'll probably find though that having been through it before you'll get back on track pretty quickly.

I will be on this Sunday for some hunting at the usual time. There's also a better than average chance I'll be on tomorrow after noon as well.

Hiltz

If you've got the North American version of the game and are low rank, feel free to send me a message for any help (same username as here). My parents and I are currently watching the Casey Anthony trial on tv so I won't be able to get on until later tonight.

Finally started to spend more time using the hammer and it is really is a lot of fun to KO a monster. The only thing is that I'm still trying to get used to the slow attack speed. Currently got over 1,100 hours clocked in and made it to rank 271 earlier today.

By the way, the Jhen Mohran and Alatreon event quests are up so play them while you can.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Hiltz said:
If you've got the North American version of the game and are low rank, feel free to send me a message for any help (same username as here). My parents and I are currently watching the Casey Anthony trial on tv so I won't be able to get on until later tonight.

Finally started to spend more time using the hammer and it is really is a lot of fun to KO a monster. The only thing is that I'm still trying to get used to the slow attack speed. Currently got over 1,100 hours clocked in and made it to rank 271 earlier today.

By the way, the Jhen Mohran and Alatreon event quests are up so play them while you can.
Cool, I left the game at rank 49 I believe (couldn't get a team together for the alatreon quest) but my friend is starting fresh today. I would appreciate any help when you have time.

Nicktals

Banned
FootNinja said:
Cool, I left the game at rank 49 I believe (couldn't get a team together for the alatreon quest) but my friend is starting fresh today. I would appreciate any help when you have time.

Post on GAF and I'm sure we could get a group together in the next day or two to easily get that Ala for ya, if you want.

FootNinja said:

If weekends work for you I'm on Sunday or Saturday after noon (central) regularly, look for Khory.

pje122

Hiltz said:

What does this mean? Those quests aren't available all the time?

Kyon

Banned
FootNinja said:

i left the game at HR 70-90 i believe. this was a few weeks after launch :lol so its been a year. but ill come back. my ID is 3KVW4C. cant play right now but tomorrow ill be on

pje122 said:
What does this mean? Those quests aren't available all the time?

Event quests are different from regular quests For example, the Alatreon event challenges hunters with a higher level Alatreon than what you get with the Urgent quest. Events also mix different monsters together or feature super large or super small versions of monsters. What events are available change every few days. Also, special items can be gotten from certain events to forge special weapons or equipment.

Hiltz

I think event quests like Alatreon's only appear perhaps once a month. Other event quests can appear two times a month. Event quests seem to last 4 days before changing.

Even in regular quests, you don't have compete access to them. Say you want to do a Lagiacrus capture quest. Sometimes quests will not be available for you to select and post from your quest list. In cases like this, you have the option to either ask someone else to post the same quest you want (if they have it at the time). Alternatively, you can just do any other quest, complete it , and go back to check your quest list after to see if the one you originally wanted has appeared now. However, some times it may take longer for the quest you want to become available.

The other day other players and myself did 4 Barioth hunting quests. The same person posted the same quest 2 times. The third time he didn't have the quest available any more, but I did so I posted the same one. However, the 4th time I didn't have the same quest available so another person had to post it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So me and my friend have been grinding through his quests and since I hardly check gaf when I'm playing if anyone is down to play at any time I'm usually on Valor 1 gate 5 and my name is Ruckus. His is Sluggish.

Would be happy to play with you guys!

I'll be on this Sunday at the usual time.

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot I have to be at a nephew's birthday party on Sunday. Well, I'm about to head on now for a little bit if any late night hunters are around.

I'm debating on whether to pick this up, so I have a few questions.

How accessible it this compared to the PSP versions. I tried to play MH Freedom Unite and couldn't make it past the tutorials. It was too thorough and detailed. I really wanted it be feel more natural and fluid. Also, the controls on the PSP were hideous and really turned me off. Does the Wii version improve on these?

Also, I know there isnt much of a plot (even though I prefer "RPG's" with story), so how much of a motivator is there to keep progressing in the single player mode? For reference, I really did enjoy the hunts in Final Fantasy 12 and 13, would this be comparable?

Thanks in advance.

upandaway

SpaceBridge said:
I'm debating on whether to pick this up, so I have a few questions.

How accessible it this compared to the PSP versions. I tried to play MH Freedom Unite and couldn't make it past the tutorials. It was too thorough and detailed. I really wanted it be feel more natural and fluid. Also, the controls on the PSP were hideous and really turned me off. Does the Wii version improve on these?

Also, I know there isnt much of a plot (even though I prefer "RPG's" with story), so how much of a motivator is there to keep progressing in the single player mode? For reference, I really did enjoy the hunts in Final Fantasy 12 and 13, would this be comparable?

Thanks in advance.
In terms of the smoothness of introduction, controls, and motivator in single player, I think Tri is way above FU.

upandaway said:
In terms of the smoothness of introduction, controls, and motivator in single player, I think Tri is way above FU.

I was thinking of picking up MHTri with the classic controller bundle, or is the game equally (or more) enjoyable with motion controls?

pje122

SpaceBridge said:
I was thinking of picking up MHTri with the classic controller bundle, or is the game equally (or more) enjoyable with motion controls?
Not at all. You would never use motion controls with this game...

Lenardo

Banned
if you like the wii controls for other games then you should be fine with doing nunchuck and wiimote, just takes a bit to get used to the controls, otherwise the CCPRO controls are great too

Chuckpebble

SpaceBridge said:

I think there are 3 main strikes against the nunchuck wii-mote setup:

1- You use the d-pad on the wii-mote for the camera which, since its digital, can make for some jerky fast camera movement. Haven't had a problem with it in over 1000 hours though.
2- The actual "motion" controls, where you shake to do something, suck. I've had them off. They are "shake to attack" and "shake to draw". Nothing like trying to evade an attack quickly only to stand there like a fool drawing your weapon. Shake to attack may be OK, but not if you bowgun. Far too often I'd go for a really quick shot after a roll and end up lamely swinging my weapon at empty air.
3- Lance is, from what I hear, very difficult with this control setup. Something about counters. Dunno, haven't used it yet.

That said, I've used that scheme since launch and love it. The way that the sensors are used for blade attacks is actually pretty interesting. Its not motion control, its positional control. Similar to how you select the high and low stances in No More Heroes, except that you have two additional hand positions. I really like the way that the long sword fade slashes work with this setup. SnS feels great too, you twist to the one side to incorporate shield, the other to keep using the sword.

The only issue I've run into is drawing into a great sword charge. You hold the controller vertically and press and hold A to draw and charge. That works flawlessly for me every time, except of course, if you are standing on a gathering point. In which case you'll gather instead.

I think the short and simple answer is, if you're getting Tri because you're a monster hunter fan, you'll need the classic controller. If you're getting Tri because it sounds like a great game on the console you happen to have, don't worry about the bundle. Although, it is a pretty dope controller.

warpaint

I really do need to get back it this, i don't know what keeps pulling me away from any MH game i have them all the ones on the PSP this one and even had the one on the PS2 and i do like them but i get about 20 hours in and my brain go's "i'm done" and i know thats not alot of time in this sort of game i just need to sitting down and play it

Is it just me or does the Selene armor from Cedeous kinda suck a little? I finally forged the full set. Two positive skills and two non trivial negative skills, only 6 slots? I was able to negate the negative skills without taking any of the armor slots at least. Well, it looks pretty cool and appears to have a high defense (mine is completely un-upgraded right now) anyway.

DragonGirl said:
Is it just me or does the Selene armor from Cedeous kinda suck a little? I finally forged the full set. Two positive skills and two non trivial negative skills, only 6 slots? I was able to negate the negative skills without taking any of the armor slots at least. Well, it looks pretty cool and appears to have a high defense (mine is completely un-upgraded right now) anyway.
Full Helios/Selene is pretty bad but parts of the set are very useful for mixed sets to get Sharpness+1 and HGE.

The good parts are Helm+, Mail+, and regular Coil. Vambraces+ is also useful in some sets.

I've pretty much stopped mixing sets. It really just doesn't matter to me at this point. Now I'm collecting full sets and wearing whatever strikes me at any given moment.

Hiltz

DragonGirl said:

When it comes to the Ceadus armor set, I think it is best to use a mixed armor set version of it set in order to have Sharpness+1 and HG Earplugs and none of the negative skills. In addition, you'll be able to gem in a third armor skill with the use of a talisman.

You'd probably want to go with something like the following:

Selene helm + = 3 armor slots
Selene mail+
Selene low rank vambrace (overforged)
Selene low rank coil (overforged)
Vangis greaves (Deviljho) = 3 armor slots

6 armor slots
armor skills: Sharpness+1, HG Earplugs, and a third armor skill of your choosing

The only real downside to this set is that it doesn't do well against fire and dragon damage despite its zero elemental resistance. Fire is more of a concern due to the burning side effect especially against monsters like Agknakator and Alatreon.

There is also room to switch out some parts like the helm or vambrace/greaves from a different armor set. Although, you'll likely end up with regular earplugs unless you want to simply gem HGEarplugs back in.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Raide said:
Did you jump straight into online? Brave!

No, that was way back when I couldn't even do any of the offline arena challenges. Right now I'm (slowly) progressing through online as I've warded Caedeus off and have just the Urgent Quests left to do offline, and I really want to upgrade my Switch Axe with "+" stuff.

Which GAFfers play European side? And what times?

Top Bottom