• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Baker

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Four Jaggi Play hands out a bounty of Great Jaggi mats, but the most important thing is that it also hands out the event-specific Great Jaggi Head, which you can use to forge the Jaggi Helmet. The Jaggi Helmet gives you +10 Fate (a chance at getting more Quest Rewards), as well as giving you the appearance of wearing a goddamn Jaggi's head on your person. I cannot overstate how awesome that is.
Haha awesome. I was wondering why I got head loot last night. I just opened the ability to make the red skull helmet too, but the stats sucked.

I'll probably be playing this all weekend now, so look for Selena in the usual place.

Ridley327

john tv said:
It is indeed super rad-looking...but it costs 30,000z :eek:

Start savin' those zennys ;p

30k is a criminally low price for this. The only thing that could possibly be better is if they offered a helmet with the appearance of a Yian Kut Ku.

Baker said:
Haha awesome. I was wondering why I got head loot last night. I just opened the ability to make the red skull helmet too, but the stats sucked.

I'll probably be playing this all weekend now, so look for Selena in the usual place.
I've done the quest twice so far and got no head. I can foresee repeating this quest a bazillion times since there's an expiration date on the quest. Ugh.

Ridley327

It's actually a very fun quest with four players; seeing Great Jaggis go down in about a minute is extremely rewarding. There's also a Qurupeco flying about in the area if Jaggi smashing is getting a little old for you.

I think I would be able to stomach the idea a little better if they could put in the quest something like great jaggis that are 50% bigger than average and make them do 50% more damage, just to make it more amusing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, I managed to do that 2 Great Jaggi Sub-Quest, but it was pretty rough. If anyone still needs it, let me know, I'd be up to grouping for it (but can't do the other event yet, since I'm low rank).

I'm having trouble finding people that use wii speak so I kind of gave up playing for about a week now. The problem was not being able to communicate with anyone quickly. Having to punch out text with a controller is the biggest pain in the ass ever. So today I bought a nice keyboard to make typing a lot easier. I'm really hoping it encourages me to play more especially after all the money I've spent (I bought a Wii console, CC pro, keyboard and wii speak) just to play this game.

JudgeN

Ridley327 said:
Four Jaggi Play hands out a bounty of Great Jaggi mats, but the most important thing is that it also hands out the event-specific Great Jaggi Head, which you can use to forge the Jaggi Helmet. The Jaggi Helmet gives you +10 Fate (a chance at getting more Quest Rewards), as well as giving you the appearance of wearing a goddamn Jaggi's head on your person. I cannot overstate how awesome that is.

O.O I haven't been online yet, do I just hop online and download quest? Is it soloable? What HR is it?

Teknoman

Lance Bone Path said:
I think I would be able to stomach the idea a little better if they could put in the quest something like great jaggis that are 50% bigger than average and make them do 50% more damage, just to make it more amusing.

That would've been cool. Havent they done something like that before?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dr. Acid Avatar said:
I'm having trouble finding people that use wii speak so I kind of gave up playing for a about a week now. The problem was not being able to communicate with anyone so today, I bought a nice keyboard to make typing a lot easier. I'm really hoping it encourages me to play more especially after all the money I've spent (I bought a Wii console, CC pro, keyboard and wii speak) just to play this game.

I've yet to come across a single player using wiispeak. It's just retarded how it picks up everything.

Ridley327

JudgeN said:
O.O I haven't been online yet, do I just hope online and download quest? Is it soloable? What HR is it?

It's a quest that's open to all HR that you can take while you're online, under the Event Quest listing. You could solo it since you're not taking on more than one Great Jaggi at a time, but it might be time consuming since you will have to ultimately have to take all four of them down. There's also the Peco to worry about if you don't have any Dung Bombs.

JudgeN

Ridley327 said:
It's a quest that's open to all HR that you can take while you're online, under the Event Quest listing. You could solo it since you're not taking on more than one Great Jaggi at a time, but it might be time consuming since you will have to ultimately have to take all four of them down. There's also the Peco to worry about if you don't have any Dung Bombs.

Sweet Business, i kill great jaggi in about 2 minutes with my hammer in single player. Generally online mode monster don't have a huge amount more HP then there single player counter parts (at least they didn't on PSP, I'm assuming they following the same scope because the quest is for all ranks instead of 30/40+).

commish

JudgeN said:
Sweet Business, i kill great jaggi in about 2 minutes with my hammer in single player. Generally online mode monster don't have a huge amount more HP then there single player counter parts (at least they didn't on PSP, I'm assuming they following the same scope because the quest is for all ranks instead of 30/40+).

They do quite a bit more damage online and have more HP. They are tuned for 4 ppl, so it takes a bit longer.

JudgeN said:
Generally online mode monster don't have a huge amount more HP then there single player counter parts
Oh, but they do. Great Jaggies are still not much of a pain, but be prepared that it will take quite a bit longer than in singleplayer.

Teknoman said:
That would've been cool. Havent they done something like that before?
They've done stuff like that in the portable series where special tickets could be earned by defeating bosses that do more damage and bosses that were bigger than usual. Giant kirin and mini-khezu in MHP2 are examples that comes to mind.

Extreme sized bosses are more the exception than the rule for ticket quests, though.

markatisu

OK I finished all the first and second level quests offline, now maybe I can be competant to go online and not be a liability (if I get this damn thesis finished!)

I might be switching to keyboard whenever I go online, my brother is staying with us for a few weeks and I can guarantee none of you want to listen to him

Baker

Banned
I need to make a new armor set before I hop online tonight. I was in the volcano yesterday so I was rockin' my full-on pink teddy bear setup. I felt pretty ridiculous when other people saw me.

selig

Banned
Wow!
Finally beat Barroth in singleplayer. How awesome :D But I was really well prepared. Used 4 traps initially, had 10 potions, 10 mega-potions, and the rest was piece of cake. I really think that the Royal Ludroth is harder to beat now. Barroth is more of an endurance-match, whereas RL puts up more of a fight.

And finally, the Gobul-quest.

I really love online mode. it´s great for getting to know new monsters.

Gino

So do the event quests have expiration dates? I got the heads I need but I don't have anywhere near enough money. I might need some hides too. The head seems like it would be good to have around when you're doing resource missions.

Ridley327

If I'm not mistaken, Event Quests tend to last about a week. I know people missed out on what were essentially free charms with the first quest, but the Four Jaggi Play quest can reward you with a RARE 3 pendant; it's how I got my +10 Mud/Snow.

Baker

Banned
Ridley327 said:
If I'm not mistaken, Event Quests tend to last about a week. I know people missed out on what were essentially free charms with the first quest, but the Four Jaggi Play quest can reward you with a RARE 3 pendant; it's how I got my +10 Mud/Snow.
Full set of pink teddy bear armor gives +10 mud/snow also. It sucks because you still take the damage/effect, you just don't get adobed.

Neo C. said:
It feels like you guys are lightyears ahead. :(
Me: HR 3.
No worries dude, u'll catch up eventually. For one, i wont be spending as much time playing as i have over the past week for much longer (50 hours in a week... if i'm not sleeping or working, i'm playing!).
Btw, kozy, where u at mange?

Nicktals

Banned
Teknoman said:
What does the Ludroth event give? I still need to beat Barroth online to get HR9.

let's get it this time tekno.

and then get it for me too =)

I'm still at 7, but getting barroth, and a couple jaggi event quests should get me ready to take the bastard on too.

selig said:
Wow!
Finally beat Barroth in singleplayer. How awesome :D But I was really well prepared. Used 4 traps initially, had 10 potions, 10 mega-potions, and the rest was piece of cake. I really think that the Royal Ludroth is harder to beat now. Barroth is more of an endurance-match, whereas RL puts up more of a fight.

And finally, the Gobul-quest.

I really love online mode. it´s great for getting to know new monsters.

Barroth really is an endurance match. I was playing the Jaggi/Barroth quest in single-player last night, and despite beating the hell out of the thing (and him supposedly having less health for that quest), I still ran out of time twice.

Owzers

schuelma said:
So probably a real stupid question but...you can upgrade/forge weapons and armour both offline and online right? Is there any difference, i.e are certain armours only available online?

So far it seems like the offline smith won't make you certain weapons.

Unrelated question:.........why do bowguns seem to be written in a language i don't understand? I have a general understanding of the other weapons but when it comes to bowguns...they are alien.

Is the game as difficult as the reviews make it out to be?

I'm going to have an extra $60 lying around this weekend and was wondering if I would have the patience to go through this game.

(I am notorious at playing games for a short time, going that's neat, then putting them away forever)

commish

AHappyPanda said:
Is the game as difficult as the reviews make it out to be?

I'm going to have an extra $60 lying around this weekend and was wondering if I would have the patience to go through this game.

(I am notorious at playing games for a short time, going that's neat, then putting them away forever)

Not for you. There's not much immediate payoff.

commish said:
Not for you. There's not much immediate payoff.

Sad face :( I've been watching video reviews and even playthroughs of it on youtube. It certainly looks interesting and I feel like there's a hint of Pokemon mixed in it (I very much enjoy the series)

I really want to play this too. Sigh. I'll read up on it some more I guess. But you may be right.

Owzers

AHappyPanda said:
Sad face :( I've been watching video reviews and even playthroughs of it on youtube. It certainly looks interesting and I feel like there's a hint of Pokemon mixed in it (I very much enjoy the series)

I really want to play this too. Sigh. I'll read up on it some more I guess. But you may be right.

I like it and i dont' really like anything these days.

Although for the first hour i was thinking about selling the game. The lvl 1 quests are boring and people online kept wanting to do them because like myself, they were low level and couldn't do much else. After that non-sense of gathering mushrooms is over, you get to the heart of the game which is primarily killing larger monsters with people and many shenanigans ensue and it's a fun rewarding experience that is sustainable in 30min sessions...and is still fun even if you are bad at the game like myself.

ashism

If I have the plans for the event quest helmet at the smith, but don't forge it by next week, will it still be available to make?

Edit: Also dodging, do you guys have it on type 1 or 2 under options?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Cleared all offline 3* quests, so goddamn addicting, but i've been wanting to use longsword for a freaking while and even if you can get it early in online, i didnt want to cheat. When all 3* quests are done, its only a matter of the boat coming to the village for the longsword forge option to open up, right?

Eteric Rice

Any tips for Gobul? I'm prepping right now (getting Mega Potions, food, and stuff). I'm assuming I need to take that light of his out, but the rest I don't know.

I have a full set of Ludroth armor on me. Hammer user.

blackflag

So much win today. Killed a rathian and trapped one (offline) got the mats to make Rathian chest already......but damn Lagi I almost had him on my first try but he owns me hard when he is in the water.

Kyoufu

Cruceh said:
Is there any weapon as fast as the SnS? I tried using GS, Hammer, Lance, but they're so slow walking and attacking.

As someone already stated, you're supposed to sheathe your weapon if you're far away from a monster.

However, with the Hammer you can charge the special attack (depleting stamina) and then roll to cancel the charge (or just let loose with the spinning attack).

With the Lance, you can also charge to cover ground but you can't cancel it with a roll which may leave you open.

tldr: put your weapon away :p

Top Bottom