• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Owzers

Eteric Rice said:
Any tips for Gobul? I'm prepping right now (getting Mega Potions, food, and stuff). I'm assuming I need to take that light of his out, but the rest I don't know.

I have a full set of Ludroth armor on me. Hammer user.

Defintely fish it out of the water ( area 4) with frog bait.

noonche

Kad5 said:
Could you explain?

In general I think it's better than the PSP versions. More specifically though...

Improved:
- improved collision detection on the monster attacks. I haven't run into anything as frustrating as trying to dodge plesioth's hip-check.
- Lots of minor improvements to the interface: quick combo list, seeing what combinations of food will do before you buy them, buying and sending straight to your box, queuing up multiple days of farming in advance.
- Most of the old weapons have been tweaked for the better.
- New monsters have been great so far.

Worse than psp:
- Less weapons and no access to some weapons early on. I really liked Gunlance and Dual Swords. I don't enjoy the switch axe as much. I also played a lot of Long Sword. Not having it available from the beginning is lame.
- Having to pay to do stuff on your farm and send out boats. It doesn't add anything and just forces you to go grind low-level monsters.

Other complaints:
- Wiispeak sucks. 4 player cities suck.
- City and town being separated as much as they are. I want to be able to more easily move between the two modes.
- Not being able to HR up in single player.

Poyunch

Man I tried out a the double R. Ludroth event quest. There were three of us and each one of us died. We could have one but I ran out of potions and I died, losing the quest. We managed to kill one R. Ludroth as well as break off the other's tail and mane. If only I brought Mega potions.

Owzers

PounchEnvy said:
Man I tried out a the double R. Ludroth event quest. There were three of us and each one of us died. We could have one but I ran out of potions and I died, losing the quest. We managed to kill one R. Ludroth as well as break off the other's tail and mane. If only I brought Mega potions.

Hmmmmm i wonder if this was our match. My character is Alice. I hate those two Ludroths, i kept getting blindsided when there were two of them Xo .

Poyunch

sillymonkey321 said:
Hmmmmm i wonder if this was our match. My character is Alice. I hate those two Ludroths, i kept getting blindsided when there were two of them Xo .
Haha it's me Francis. Didn't know you were a gaffer. Damn we were so close.

Eteric Rice said:
Where do I get frog bait? :O
Area 10 in Moga Woods/Deserted Island. Entering from Area 9 you should see a log that you can farm.

Owzers

Eteric Rice said:
Where do I get frog bait? :O

unless there is an easier way, just go to mogo woods map 10 where they tried to make you fish goldenfish, there is a muddy area right next to there ( on the right side on land) where you get unlimited scavenging for worms and frogs.

has anyone tested to see how great a rewards increase the Jaggi Mask actually gives?

I kinda underestimated that dual R.Ludroth match, burnt through a lot of mega potions in the process. I was with Marklar and we tag teamed those bananas like crazy.

I was so pumped when our duo finished the quest, then got fcked up emotionally when my net crapped out with a trio doing the Lagi hunt.

Teknoman

alske said:
In general I think it's better than the PSP versions. More specifically though...

Improved:
- improved collision detection on the monster attacks. I haven't run into anything as frustrating as trying to dodge plesioth's hip-check.
- Lots of minor improvements to the interface: quick combo list, seeing what combinations of food will do before you buy them, buying and sending straight to your box, queuing up multiple days of farming in advance.

Worse than psp:
- Less weapons and no access to some weapons early on. I really liked Gunlance and Dual Swords. I don't enjoy the switch axe as much. I also played a lot of Long Sword. Not having it available from the beginning is lame.
- Having to pay to do stuff on your farm and send out boats. It doesn't add anything and just forces you to go grind low-level monsters.

Other complaints:
- Wiispeak sucks. 4 player cities suck.
- City and town being separated as much as they are. I want to be able to more easily move between the two modes.

Wait is he talking about Freedom (PSP) or Frontier (PC and now 360 in japan)?

noonche

Teknoman said:
Wait is he talking about Freedom (PSP) or Frontier (PC and now 360 in japan)?

He said Frontier. I haven't played much of Frontier (only a quest or two on a friend's laptop), but Freedom Unite had basically all of the content from Frontier when it launched.

selig

Banned
unexpectingly, fought my first Rathian online. But I feel totally down right now, because we failed the quest because of me :( We cut off its tail, and, after another while of fighting, I decided to get the tail-item....and just in time, Rathian hits me, dead. mission failed.

If "KIRIN" is reading here, Im really sorry. It was a noob-ish decision. Fight first, THEN collect items...i now :(

Reknoc

Oh man, finally decided to make a Switch Axe. They're pretty awesome, love getting a well timed blast thing. No longer miss Gunlances now.

Owzers

selig said:
unexpectingly, fought my first Rathian online. But I feel totally down right now, because we failed the quest because of me :( We cut off its tail, and, after another while of fighting, I decided to get the tail-item....and just in time, Rathian hits me, dead. mission failed.

If "KIRIN" is reading here, Im really sorry. It was a noob-ish decision. Fight first, THEN collect items...i now :(

Several times now i've stared at tails....my first encounter with rathian i died because i was sharpening my sword and got hit with a fireball.

alske said:

Improved:

Not really an improvement since you can do it in the PSP version (2G/Freedom Unite).

@ 2nd bold: What, you cant do this?

topramen

first mh game, and I'm totally fucking hooked.

I'm not very far into it, Single player I'm fighting R. Ludroth (killed him once when I went online). I'm a little ADD with the type of armor I'm trying to get, and if you guys have advice I'd appreciate it.

Right now I'm playing S&S, thinking about upgrading to the longsword.

What type of armor should I go for? Peco? Jaggi? Ludroth? For now I'm sporting a peco vest and ludroth helm.
what about weapon upgrades (right now I have the 3rd option from the bone kris, I forget the name and can't check).

Also, Charms, Skills, and Pendants are still totally confusing.

I just need someone to tell me "shoot for this, farm this, and get these pendants"

noonche

Infinite Justice said:
Not really an improvement since you can do it in the PSP version (2G/Freedom Unite).

@ 2nd bold: What, you cant do this?

Not in the village you can't. You can go to the city and solo quest. But getting online after playing a bunch of single player and having to start with Jaggi is irritating.

Poyunch

topramen said:
first mh game, and I'm totally fucking hooked.

I'm not very far into it, Single player I'm fighting R. Ludroth (killed him once when I went online). I'm a little ADD with the type of armor I'm trying to get, and if you guys have advice I'd appreciate it.

Right now I'm playing S&S, thinking about upgrading to the longsword.

What type of armor should I go for? Peco? Jaggi? Ludroth? For now I'm sporting a peco vest and ludroth helm.
what about weapon upgrades (right now I have the 3rd option from the bone kris, I forget the name and can't check).

Also, Charms, Skills, and Pendants are still totally confusing.

I just need someone to tell me "shoot for this, farm this, and get these pendants"
Well if you're going to try the Long Sword you'll have to wait a while. Anyway when it comes to armor you shouldn't really focus on one set since each armor piece has a weakness/advantage. Also what do you mean by third option of the Bone Kris. There's the Bone Kris, then the Bone Kris+, and then it branches out to two different swords.

L00P

I love the Switch Axe, but I can't use it properly. Having to fight Barroth without the safety of a shield is just too much for me:lol

Poyunch

L00P said:
I love the Switch Axe, but I can't use it properly. Having to fight Barroth without the safety of a shield is just too much for me:lol
As one who uses the Switch Axe as my main weapon I can say it's pretty easy. Just land a few blows, retract your weapon, and then distance yourself away from its head (as much as possible). When I play I usually only ever attack next to its tail and legs.

I may never be able to break its skull but I'll be safe.

Alex

To m most everything is improved, streamlined or altered to be made more clear/meaningful. However, while I appreciate being able to be in a city again together ala MH1 and run certain errands without reconnecting to adhoc, I wish they had just done an extension to the village for the online, so I can go back and forth like on the Freedom titles.

It needed improvement in speed, so if they had the more automated systems (which I'm fine with) from Tri with the flow of Freedom Unite, it'd have been great.

If it was up to me, I'd have them just make the village thematically gigantic, let the single player occur in a single "block", and allow you to hook up to some greater embassy or w/e for online so you could flow back and forth between rounds.

Also, bring back the Felyne kitchen! Stream line it, make it more clear, but keep the customization and gameplay and the sheer crazyness of it. The reduced Felyne presence in Tri is fairly annoying to me.

Speaking of that, I like what they did with the comrade system (even though a Shakalaka is no Felyne), so far at least. The customization and difference between the masks so far for where I am in single player seems a little lacking. I strongly assume it gets better. Still, I like the stream lining.

I hope that kind of stream lining makes it into Freedom 3, which seems to have TWO Felyne comrades and they WEAR ARMOR. So awesome, also I will continue my picketing for allowing a comrade to be brought into online. I'd kill for that, it's so very silly but I want to craft armor and weapons for my Felyne "Squire" online. :lol
I love the Switch Axe, but I can't use it properly. Having to fight Barroth without the safety of a shield is just too much for me

You'll get used to dodging and evading as a primary. Guarding, as you'll find later on, should really be a last resort only kind of thing unless you're rocking a gun.

Switch Axe seems pretty technical at first, but it's not so much. Just need to learn all of the binds and take advantage of how crazy versatile it is. Axe is high raw damage, Sword has a lesser modifier but has anti-dullness and elemental procs. It's also fucking amazing for taking off tails and whatnot.

Just make sure to learn the quirks as you go, like drawing straight to sword-mode and the infinite combo.

Poyunch

sillymonkey321 said:
I need some help on the urgent 2* lagi quest!

usual gaf place i think, Wisdom 1, gate 40 Xo
Mmm I might jump back in. I haven't advanced yet in the single player because I'm sort of afraid of the lagi. :lol

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Maybe it was because i was tired, maybe it was because im hungry, but i swear to god that annoying white filter on the top 3rd of the screen was fucking gone when i played two Elite level missions. I didnt imagine that right?

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS?

selig

Banned
question for MH-veterans:

Assuming there´s going to be MH3 G at some point...do these G-versions feature ALL the content from the original version? Because I dont think that I´ll finish MH3 anytime soon, so if there was a G-version, I´d like to know if I have to stick with MH3, or if I can buy MH3 G instantly, having ALL the content.

selig said:
question for MH-veterans:

Assuming there´s going to be MH3 G at some point...do these G-versions feature ALL the content from the original version? Because I dont think that I´ll finish MH3 anytime soon, so if there was a G-version, I´d like to know if I have to stick with MH3, or if I can buy MH3 G instantly, having ALL the content.

They usually have all the previous content and more. Some things might be moved around, but its usually all there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Long day... time for some monster hunting stress relief. I'm gonna kill a Royal Luddy and find some velvety hides, then I want to hunt some Rathians online, who's with me?

alske said:
Not in the village you can't. You can go to the city and solo quest. But getting online after playing a bunch of single player and having to start with Jaggi is irritating.

So the city is like the guild hall but only online now? Oh well

Been doing some hammer training on poor Kut ku and my god :lol

Currently learning the others like blagonga, rathian, rathalos, etc.

The hammer is fucking awesome and i love KOing monsters. Its a shame i cant remove tails with it (or can it?) and i still need to get the charging attacks down like an art form.

mclem

alske said:

My boat pretty much funds all my resource-based ventures in town, those pin tuna and sushifish really start to rack up after a while.

Of course, it does help that I got a trade option for 4 iron ore for 10 pin tuna when I last went online, too. That's a mighty fine exchange rate for something I have in abundance.

Owzers

PounchEnvy said:
Rookies1 - Gate 9 - City 13 - NA!

Urgent Quest *2. Two more members needed. Please.

Abandon ship! We had to settle for helping out on an Urgent 1 quest....i need a better barroth strategy that took forever :p

Poyunch

Aww disconnected due to instability or something. In the middle of a 4 Jaggi Quest and the other hunters started leaving. One hunter was okay but when the guy who started the quest left I got a bit annoyed. :lol Then I abandon the quest and I'm told my connection was canceled due to server instability. Oh man I pity those that had to suffer with a disconnection during the middle of a major hunt.

It's sort of a good thing. I'm low on meat.

botticus

ashism said:
If I have the plans for the event quest helmet at the smith, but don't forge it by next week, will it still be available to make?

Edit: Also dodging, do you guys have it on type 1 or 2 under options?
Since it's also available at the forger offline, I can't imagine it will be ripped out of the forge options once the quest expires.

JudgeN said:
Ahh solo 4 great jaggi quest complete in 20 minutes, silly great jaggi tricks are for kids :lol
Okay, I'll admit, this makes me feel inadequate. I think the fastest that quest was finished with 3 or 4 people was around a half hour.

L00P

PounchEnvy said:
As one who uses the Switch Axe as my main weapon I can say it's pretty easy. Just land a few blows, retract your weapon, and then distance yourself away from its head (as much as possible). When I play I usually only ever attack next to its tail and legs.

I may never be able to break its skull but I'll be safe.

So is retracting your weapon better than trying to dodge? I kept lunging forward when I try to dodge with the axe. I keep expecting to back off because that is what I always do when I use the lance.

I'm pretty comfortable with the lance but I wanna learn the ways of the Switch Axe just because of the cool factor:lol

Alex

Does anyone need any help with any 1 or 2 star quest? I'm still going to wait for my duo buddy to get back before doing the 2 star urgent (after I get my damned plate...)

Poyunch

L00P said:
So is retracting your weapon better than trying to dodge? I kept lunging forward when I try to dodge with the axe. I keep expecting to back off because that is what I always do when I use the lance.

I'm pretty comfortable with the lance but I wanna learn the ways of the Switch Axe just because of the cool factor:lol
Obviously don't try to retract if you're about to attacked but yeah retracting means you'll be able to run (sometimes out of the way of attacks). Anyway aim where you want to dodge/sidestep. Point the analog stick to where you want to dodge.

gotee12

I get all excited after getting 2 great jaggi heads in the event quest to find out the mask costs 30k. Well, I guess I'll be "fundraising" for the next few plays...

Top Bottom