• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Astral

Ever since I reached 4 and 5 star village quests I've either been dying a lot or the monsters take 20 minutes to kill. It's not fun. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My Golem Blade is as strong as it can be at this point in the game and I'm wearing the strongest armor available as far as I can tell. How do I kill shit faster?

JoeFu

Banned
Ever since I reached 4 and 5 star village quests I've either been dying a lot or the monsters take 20 minutes to kill. It's not fun. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My Golem Blade is as strong as it can be at this point in the game and I'm wearing the strongest armor available as far as I can tell. How do I kill shit faster?

Play online and get better gear. Once you have high rank gear the village quests last like 5 min

DrArchon

What armor skills are you using? Those make a huge different in terms of staying alive and killing stuff quickly.

upandaway

- Try doing a quest focusing on not being greedy and dodging as much as possible. You'd be surprised how much time is wasted by healing. Not to say there are no situations where trading hits won't be faster, but 99% of the time it's not. That was one of my biggest misconceptions as a beginner. A decent goal, with your armor, would be to finish the quest using only the supply box healing items (depends on the monster though)
- Try other weapons? GS has some of the best DPS but only if you can land full charges consistently, which is really hard for monsters you haven't mastered yet.
- Look up monster weaknesses on kiranico and try really going for it. If you can hit a monster's weak point often then it won't take 20 minutes.

That's aside from the usual stuff like using traps, bombs when they fall asleep, might seeds etc

kaioshade

Definitely try a different weapon. Greatsword can be a pain in the ass for non vets.

And traps. Abuse the hell out of traps. about 10 seconds of free beatdowns.

Astral

Yeah the GS is getting difficult to use because my super armor isn't doing shit. Most attacks are knocking me down. I've tried equipping some decorations but they're all low level and barely make a difference. I'm even out of mega potions now. I guess I can try the hub for a while with a friend. I wanna try the bow and I heard the best one is unlocked at HR3.

kaioshade

Yeah the GS is getting difficult to use because my super armor isn't doing shit. Most attacks are knocking me down. I've tried equipping some decorations but they're all low level and barely make a difference. I'm even out of mega potions now. I guess I can try the hub for a while with a friend. I wanna try the bow and I heard the best one is unlocked at HR3.

Let me know if you need any help. I'll be murdering silverwind.

DrArchon

OK, I've made my full set of Astral Armor and I've gotten Razor Sharp on it my +5 charm. I'm thinking about trying out Striker Lance because I'm interested in trying out a slower moveset and I've got nothing else to really work towards with Insect Glaives until I get my HR up even more.

Which Lances should I look at getting? I don't want to farm too much if I don't have to, so I would like recommendations on a general purpose raw damage lance.

kaioshade

Ive never really messed with Lance, take a look at Gaijin Hunter. He does a top 5 that most can usually agree as a good starting point for weapons.

DrArchon

Ive never really messed with Lance, take a look at Gaijin Hunter. He does a top 5 that most can usually agree as a good starting point for weapons.

I looked up his Top 5 Lance vid, but outside of maybe the Seregios lance I'm not seeing much that appeals to me. I can't get the Alatreon lance yet, and I'm not confident in my abilities enough to start farming deviants.

I might just go with the Tigrex Lance. It's easy enough to farm for, and I know it'll be solid because all of the Tigrex weapons are.

At some point in your Monster Hunter career the weapons and armors you wear barely matter.

And that's when you become a fashion hunter.

I just use whatever armor and weapon I want to.

Tom_Cody

I looked up his Top 5 Lance vid, but outside of maybe the Seregios lance I'm not seeing much that appeals to me. I can't get the Alatreon lance yet, and I'm not confident in my abilities enough to start farming deviants.

I might just go with the Tigrex Lance. It's easy enough to farm for, and I know it'll be solid because all of the Tigrex weapons are.
I'm currently using the Spiked Javelin with his recommended blunt set (as seen in the R Series armor video). It's pretty beefy, and Striker Lancing is awesomely fun.

The Spiked Javelin with Blunt set combo is a notch below the best available for the Lance, but it's pretty close. It's easy and cheap to make as soon as you can fight Akantor (assuming you've already unlocked R series armor). It's a great feeling to have 350+ attack once you activate Enraged Guard.

KdylanR92

Silverwind armor combined with the regular Nargacuga SnS is something nasty.

Critical Eye +3 boosting the SnS affinity to 70%(with Affinity Oil to make it 100%) combined critical boost is just a one way ticket to Crit City.

Evasion+2, Evade Extender and I have a +10 Sneak charm really help with survivability.

Also Adept is just icing on the cake.

tuffy

I've discovered the Gourmew S helm has 3 slots so I can use it in place of Chakra for a generic 3 slot armor piece, it provides blademaster-level defense for my gunner sets, and it has cat ears so it looks hilarious.

Practicality and Fashion Hunter all at the same time.

Akiller

Thinking about making a mixed set:

Head: Seltas S
Chest: Seltas S
Arms: Seltas S

Belt:Strider
Legs:Nargacuga S

I think i can get both sharpness/affinity and evasion/dodge points that way.

Problem is i'm fucking broke and i would not be able to upgrade them, is there any good money farming method?

DrArchon

Decided not to go whole hog into farming for a new set of Lances just yet, and instead opted to play around with my new Astral set and some of my Long Swords. Striker LS is actually a really nice way to play with LS. It doesn't lose too much except for the easy fade slash -> spirit combo, but I build meter so fast that having Sakura Slash as the main way to level up the spirit meter is a legit strategy. Plus I get to run Absolute Readiness along with Sakura Slash and something else. I'm going to play around with the Counter Art some to see if I like that more than Unhinged Spirit.

Heroman

Banned
Striker Ls reminds to much of the shiitty LG for freedom untie, I hate not being able to fade left or right.
Thinking about making a mixed set:

Head: Seltas S
Chest: Seltas S
Arms: Seltas S

Belt:Strider
Legs:Nargacuga S

I think i can get both sharpness/affinity and evasion/dodge points that way.

Problem is i'm fucking broke and i would not be able to upgrade them, is there any good money farming method?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjghurbu4jPAhVBSyYKHaKWAesQtwIIQDAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhM-sk9rofsg&usg=AFQjCNE9E-87uhSclhxngM03giYAh7q-qw&sig2=JeeQaLvHJoPgmueCUwozlA

Rawk Hawk

That Hayabusa Feather quest is no joke. Took 39 minutes and 2 carts, but I finished it. Made the Toka set and Kirin Bolt DBs, used a charm to add in Thunder Atk +2. Even used like 8 farcasters, but glad that one is done.

Think I just need to polish off Triple Toady Terror to become a mixed set guru.

DrArchon

That Hayabusa Feather quest is no joke. Took 39 minutes and 2 carts, but I finished it. Made the Toka set and Kirin Bolt DBs, used a charm to add in Thunder Atk +2. Even used like 8 farcasters, but glad that one is done.

Think I just need to polish off Triple Toady Terror to become a mixed set guru.

What was you load-out in terms of items? I consistently run out of healing items even though I bring 10 megas and as well as 10 regular potions and 10 honey, plus 2 max potions, 1 ancient potion (both of which I generally save for when I cart), and 3 Lifepowder.

Did you bring extra ways to make more traps or anything? More paralysis meat for Jho?

Rawk Hawk

What was you load-out in terms of items? I consistently run out of healing items even though I bring 10 megas and as well as 10 regular potions and 10 honey, plus 2 max potions, 1 ancient potion (both of which I generally save for when I cart), and 3 Lifepowder.

Did you bring extra ways to make more traps or anything? More paralysis meat for Jho?

I brought potions, mega potions, max potions, herbs, blue mushrooms and honey for my healing. Which gets you 20 mega's and 10 regular potions to use.

Farcasters, bomb casings and exciteshrooms and I believe 3 combo books, which I used for healing as well on the bed. If I got down below say 20% I would just facaster out to heal on the bed.

I brought just one pitfall and shock trap, but only used them after Jho. I grabbed whetstones, well done steaks, might seed and adamant seed, which I would use just before entering the arena, or like after Tigrex went down, while waiting for the fence to drop.

I brought smoke bombs, but it didn't work, dropped one when they came, attacked Tigrex, but Narga still saw me somehow.

I brought my own dung bombs to get Jho off me when he grabbed me. And the power charm, power talon, armor charm and armor talon.

That should fill your space up, no extra tinged meats, honestly I should have brought mega dash juice, but didn't think of that. I went adept dual blades, which was my first time doing that, but the adept allowed for some saved healing items by avoiding damage without any armor skills dedicated to it. I ate for Def L and Defender (Hi) for the same reason.

Edit: As I read through my list, I would have probably dropped the traps, and just brought mega dash juice and maybe an ancient potion or something. I never used them until there was only one left, because I was too nervous to try and put one down with two on me. I generally do well verse Jho though, keep in mind the adamant seeds will remove his def down effect, but if you have a tough time with him then probably best to use the traps on him. After you farcast out during narga/tigrex, run back in and straight to the fence switch and try to split them up.

DrArchon

Yeah, I think my problem was I only brought one Farcaster. I should've brought ingredients for a bunch more, because running around trying to avoid Narga and Tigrex while waiting for the fence to be ready to use is a pain in the ass. I completely forgot that there's a bed in the prep area, so I'll definitely keep that in mind so I'm not using up First Aid+'s when I poof out.

I always bring Adamant Seeds since the first time I fought Jho he nearly OHKO'd me while my defense was down. How much of a boost do Might Seeds give you? I should probably bring those anyway, but I'm still curious.

Tom_Cody

Monster Hunter math nerds, could someone point me to a damage calculation involving crit skills? The Hayabusa Feather / Silver Sol set seems to be all the rage with Japanese speed runners and I'm curious to know more about it. Ultimately it would be nice to know what weapons/weapon-classes and/or monster pairings are best for critical damage builds.

For whatever reason, my MH4U calculations always involved raw versus element for specific monsters. I don't remember if that was because of the weapons I was using (Bow and SA) or if I just neglected looking in that direction.

deim0s

I always bring Adamant Seeds since the first time I fought Jho he nearly OHKO'd me while my defense was down. How much of a boost do Might Seeds give you? I should probably bring those anyway, but I'm still curious.

Might seeds give like 7-10 attack. Check the stats after eating one to confirm.

DrArchon

Might seeds give like 7-10 attack. Check the stats after eating one to confirm.

Will do. I never bring anything like that that isn't the occasional Mega Demondrug, but getting lucky on finding Khezu in the Meownster Hunters is annoying so I'll have to start using lesser attack buff items eventually.

Also, does anyone know the best way to level up your HR? I'm sitting at HR 54 and I really just want to get to Akantor so I can try out a Blunt set (I've got a sick charm that'll let me do Mind's Eye/Blunt/AuL). I'd imagine harder missions would level you up faster. Should I focus on grinding elder dragons and more hyper monsters?

Fandangox

I played Long Sword for the first time today.

s6r1r.jpg

Tom_Cody

Will do. I never bring anything like that that isn't the occasional Mega Demondrug, but getting lucky on finding Khezu in the Meownster Hunters is annoying so I'll have to start using lesser attack buff items eventually.
I personally just play MH for Khezu whenever it appears and I've built up a good store of pale extract over time. It's not a sustainable strategy, but I have enough to use for special occasions. Also note that purple cats give more drops from Khezu in MH.

Also, does anyone know the best way to level up your HR? I'm sitting at HR 54 and I really just want to get to Akantor so I can try out a Blunt set (I've got a sick charm that'll let me do Mind's Eye/Blunt/AuL). I'd imagine harder missions would level you up faster. Should I focus on grinding elder dragons and more hyper monsters?
I was in exactly that situation when I was sitting at HR45. At ~HR50 I just did a "turns" room and the players in the room had no problem selecting Akantor for me. It only took two Akantor hunts to get all of the parts I needed for my blunt set.

Shengar

Monster Hunter math nerds, could someone point me to a damage calculation involving crit skills? The Hayabusa Feather / Silver Sol set seems to be all the rage with Japanese speed runners and I'm curious to know more about it. Ultimately it would be nice to know what weapons/weapon-classes and/or monster pairings are best for critical damage builds.

There's a new skill called Crit Boost and it raised critical multiplier from 1.25 to 1.4. High affinity weapon like the Nargacuga could easily outdamage any high raw weapon. But since silver sol gives natural tenderizer dan the skill back to giving 50% affinity when attacking monsters weak point, it basically make any weapon viable with the build, giving high damage boost as long as you know where to attack.

DrArchon

I played Long Sword for the first time today.

Which style are you using? How you play LS well really changes with each style I feel.

I personally just play MH for Khezu whenever it appears and I've built up a good store of pale extract over time. It's not a sustainable strategy, but I have enough to use for special occasions. Also note that purple cats give more drops from Khezu in MH.

I was in exactly that situation when I was sitting at HR45. At ~HR50 I just did a "turns" room and the players in the room had no problem selecting Akantor for me. It only took two Akantor hunts to get all of the parts I needed for my blunt set.

I know about the color bonuses for Meowster Hunters, so whenever Khezu pops up I send out a couple of purple cats. The real problem is waiting for Khezu to pop up, and remembering to actually check on the Meowster Hunters after every hunt.

I think for Akantor I'll work on farming the other parts I need for the set (Hyper Rath parts, Hyper Pyroscales, etc) and hopefully I'll get close enough to HR 60 that I can just get there from regular play. I still need to play around more with my Astral set and my Wyvern Blade "Flare" before I focus on getting another brand new set, even if the idea of using a high raw weapon + Blunt + AuL is really exciting.

Fandangox

Which style are you using? How you play LS well really changes with each style I feel.

I tried adept. I knew of the spirit combo, but not that Adept didn't have it. So I had no idea why it wasn't working. Also don't know the moveset of either adept or Guild though.

Might just try Guild for the weapon.

Astral

These herbivorous monsters are assholes. I'm battling a giant monster than can very easily end your life. Why are you attacking me?

DrArchon

I tried adept. I knew of the spirit combo, but not that Adept didn't have it. So I had no idea why it wasn't working. Also don't know the moveset of either adept or Guild though.

Might just try Guild for the weapon.

Have you looked up Gaijin Hunter's "How to" video for LS? It goes into great detail over every one of the styles and makes a point of showing what each gains and loses in terms of moves. Not to mention pointing out damage values for moves so you know what the use more often.

taybul

I've been playing in Palico mode quite a bit and quickly seeing its potential and I have a few questions:

• Can the Palicos only ever learn one support move and one skill or can it be upgraded to more slots later?
  • Do all palicos get XP at the end of a quest? I could have sworn I saw a palico I wasn't using level up.
  • So far I've only been using the same Palico which was a gathering bias. Do the biases affect stats?
  • Is it better to stick with one Palico or should I be continuing to scout until I get one with a good combo of skills/moves (I hear boomerang cats are where it's at)?

Rawk Hawk

I don't know which is best, but if you each for Exchanger and do turn rooms it should add up fast. I'm in the same rough spot, think my HR is 52 right now.

Something I didn't know until looking it up now, subquests give HRP as well.. never knew that.

DrArchon

I don't know which is best, but if you each for Exchanger and do turn rooms it should add up fast. I'm in the same rough spot, think my HR is 52 right now.

Something I didn't know until looking it up now, subquests give HRP as well.. never knew that.

I always eat for Defender (Hi) because I suck at dodging without Absolute Whatever, but I'll keep an eye out for Exchanger.

I had no idea about the subquest thing. That's pretty cool.

Rawk Hawk

I always eat for Defender (Hi) because I suck at dodging without Absolute Whatever, but I'll keep an eye out for Exchanger.

I had no idea about the subquest thing. That's pretty cool.

Yea, Kiranico actually lists the HRP you get for whatever hunt, should be on the left side of the screen. I was skimming through some harder ones to see if I could find one that was easy and had high HRP, but nothing jumped out unfortunately.

I've been playing in Palico mode quite a bit and quickly seeing its potential and I have a few questions:

• Can the Palicos only ever learn one support move and one skill or can it be upgraded to more slots later?
  • Do all palicos get XP at the end of a quest? I could have sworn I saw a palico I wasn't using level up.
  • So far I've only been using the same Palico which was a gathering bias. Do the biases affect stats?
  • Is it better to stick with one Palico or should I be continuing to scout until I get one with a good combo of skills/moves (I hear boomerang cats are where it's at)?

I'm not certain on these, but from what I know:
They can only learn a max of one more and one skill. Only the cats on the quest will get XP at the end. Bias does affect stats and move sets. Probably best to scout out one with all the moves and skills you want. Keep in mind each of the four areas have their own lists of cats, so after each hunt there is a ton of turn over to look through, but finding "the one" is still fairly hard.

I have two good cats:
Fighter with Pierce Boom, Big Boom and Emergency Retreat. Crit L, Crit S, Last Stand, Boom Pro.
Support with Pierce Boom, Big Boom and Emergency Retreat. Earplugs, Crit S, Last Stand, Boom Pro.

Those are probably the must get skills? I don't know.. Last Stand was taught to both, and each shared their innate skill (pierce for fighter, retreat for support) with each other.

Fandangox

Have you looked up Gaijin Hunter's "How to" video for LS? It goes into great detail over every one of the styles and makes a point of showing what each gains and loses in terms of moves. Not to mention pointing out damage values for moves so you know what the use more often.

Nah, I guess I should. Not even sure if Im gonna make a LS set yet since I main GL, and already play GS and Bow.

Tom_Cody

There's a new skill called Crit Boost and it raised critical multiplier from 1.25 to 1.4. High affinity weapon like the Nargacuga could easily outdamage any high raw weapon. But since silver sol gives natural tenderizer dan the skill back to giving 50% affinity when attacking monsters weak point, it basically make any weapon viable with the build, giving high damage boost as long as you know where to attack.
Thanks, that answers my question.

Astral

So right now I'm HR2 and at 5 star village quests. What's a good armor set at this point in the game. I've been using the Tetsucabra set forever and not sure if I should switch or not. I tried the Ceanataur set but it's too bulky for my taste so I went back to Tetsu. Fashion Hunter.

Tom_Cody

So right now I'm HR2 and at 5 star village quests. What's a good armor set at this point in the game. I've been using the Tetsucabra set forever and not sure if I should switch or not. I tried the Ceanataur set but it's too bulky for my taste so I went back to Tetsu. Fashion Hunter.
This is a boring answer, but armor/skills really don't matter than much in Low Rank. At HR4 the game shifts over to High Rank and you will instantly be able to get armor with much higher defense and armor with better skills will gradually become available. Just make sure you are upgrading your Tetsu armor with armor spheres and you should be all set.

I'm sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know. If you are deadset on making another set while in Low Rank, it would be good to know your weapon class as a starting point.

Edit: I scrolled up.

Regarding getting knocked, the Great Sword is all about using the draw attack and then rolling away. Wash rinse repeat. Have you watched the Gaijin Hunter video? Only worry about charging your attack if the monster is downed or if you're really confident in your opportunity to strike (at least when you are starting out).

Regarding weapon unlocks, weapons upgrade pretty gradually, though armor is tiered between Low Rank and High Rank (with there being a big jump if defense).

Reknoc

i think you can make rathalos set by 5* village? so probably that. can upgrade it to decent defense that'll last you some ways into high rank

Astral

This is a boring answer, but armor/skills really don't matter than much in Low Rank. At HR4 the game shifts over to High Rank and you will instantly be able to get armor with much higher defense and armor with better skills will gradually become available. Just make sure you are upgrading your Tetsu armor with armor spheres and you should be all set.

I'm sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know. If you are deadset on making another set while in Low Rank, it would be good to know your weapon class as a starting point.

Edit: I scrolled up.

Regarding getting knocked, the Great Sword is all about using the draw attack and then rolling away. Wash rinse repeat. Have you watched the Gaijin Hunter video? Only worry about charging your attack if the monster is downed or if you're really confident in your opportunity to strike (at least when you are starting out).

Regarding weapon unlocks, weapons upgrade pretty gradually, though armor is tiered between Low Rank and High Rank (with there being a big jump if defense).

Yeah I kinda guessed armor didn't matter much in low rank since a lot of them seem really close in defense to each other. Is the draw attack powerful or something? I've seen some tutorial vids but I'm not sure who's. They taught me a lot though. I noticed I go for level 3 charges too often and I think I improved a little bit in the last few fights once I stopped doing that.

i think you can make rathalos set by 5* village? so probably that. can upgrade it to decent defense that'll last you some ways into high rank

Yeah the Rathalos set is available already but that asshole is too hard for me to farm right now lol.

Tom_Cody

Yeah I kinda guessed armor didn't matter much in low rank since a lot of them seem really close in defense to each other. Is the draw attack powerful or something? I've seen some tutorial vids but I'm not sure who's. They taught me a lot though. I noticed I go for level 3 charges too often and I think I improved a little bit in the last few fights once I stopped doing that.
Yes, the draw attack is powerful. Also, you can draw directly into a charge. The point is to roll away after you get it off.

More than anything else, Monster Hunter is about 'hit and don't get hit'. If you are getting knocked around you are doing it wrong. Nothing hurts your damage output more than getting hit and having to reset what you're doing and/or heal.

Here is the Gaijin Hunter tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1caSXCQ6bU

It's also worth watching his MH4U video to really get a handle on the fundamentals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxO7xOYqS8

taybul

Is armor easier to build in this game? I just beat Rathalos in village 5* and I don't think any of its pieces require a plate (ironically, I already have at least one from 3 fights). The mat requirements have generally felt a lot more forgiving so far.

Top Bottom