• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

DrArchon

Finally unlocked my HR. Got together with a nice bunch of randoms and we all decided to just do our HR7 keys and urgent together. Had a whole bunch of fun, but when it came time to do the last guy's Narkarkos urgent, the other two bailed and so we decided to just do it together, just the two of us. We had already beaten Narkarkos twice so it shouldn't be a big deal. And it really wasn't.

But, right at the end, the guy disconnects right before I deal the final blow to Narkarkos. I feel terrible for him! He was so close to unlocking his HR and he helped 3 other people do their Nark urgents and right before his is finished he DCs. It's heartbreaking.

But I mined a Soul Orb off of Narkarkos so I'm not too broken up or anything.

jonjonaug

Finally unlocked my HR. Got together with a nice bunch of randoms and we all decided to just do our HR7 keys and urgent together. Had a whole bunch of fun, but when it came time to do the last guy's Narkarkos urgent, the other two bailed and so we decided to just do it together, just the two of us. We had already beaten Narkarkos twice so it shouldn't be a big deal. And it really wasn't.

But, right at the end, the guy disconnects right before I deal the final blow to Narkarkos. I feel terrible for him! He was so close to unlocking his HR and he helped 3 other people do their Nark urgents and right before his is finished he DCs. It's heartbreaking.

But I mined a Soul Orb off of Narkarkos so I'm not too broken up or anything.

When you DC you'll usually just keep fighting the mission solo, so if Nark had that little health left he should've been fine.

DrArchon

When you DC you'll usually just keep fighting the mission solo, so if Nark had that little health left he should've been fine.

OK, that's good to hear. Nark was literally 1 hit away from death when it happened, so hopefully he DC'd and it wasn't something like his battery giving out.

Akiller

Managed to unlock my HR, game's become brutal now , tried Amatsu,Akantor and Strider quest Deviljho online. I've only beaten the Jho and i had to go afk-like because he easily KO'ed me once so i didnt want the team to lose because of me.

Man, i just need a wyvern crystal from the Akantor to max out Nargacuga LS into deepest night.

I feel like my Ceanataur S set is not enough, i could upgrade it to def 90 but i'd need Hyper shogun horn, i was thinking to mix it out with narga S set to get evasion without sacrificing affinity, or maybe with strider set?

DrArchon

So I'm glancing at the Astral Armor because it looks cool and I have all the parts needed to make it if I want to, and it doesn't seem that bad for something like SnS or LS with a bunch of good hunter arts, but what does Trump Card do? It just says "Increases Hunter Art power against large monsters when the chance arises". I have no idea what that means. Clearly it ups the damage that hunter arts do, but not all the time. So is it only when the monster is enraged? Low on stamina? About to die? Is it when you're low on health?

So I'm glancing at the Astral Armor because it looks cool and I have all the parts needed to make it if I want to, and it doesn't seem that bad for something like SnS or LS with a bunch of good hunter arts, but what does Trump Card do? It just says "Increases Hunter Art power against large monsters when the chance arises". I have no idea what that means. Clearly it ups the damage that hunter arts do, but not all the time. So is it only when the monster is enraged? Low on stamina? About to die? Is it when you're low on health?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4ybdw7/effects_of_trump_card_mhgen/

DrArchon

Thanks. I wish the ability descriptions were a bit more clear about these things. I know everyone plays MH with a website open all the time for them to look stuff up, but it wouldn't kill Capcom to at least explain how some of the abilities work more clearly.

The biggest problem I see with Trump Card is that the easiest way to turn it on is to mount and topple a monster, but the easiest way to do that is with Aerial Style, and the best style for Trump Card is Striker or Guild. Damn shame. Still, a 20% boost to art damage and duration is pretty nice, I might end up making an Astral set if I ever go back to LS.

Thanks. I wish the ability descriptions were a bit more clear about these things. I know everyone plays MH with a website open all the time for them to look stuff up, but it wouldn't kill Capcom to at least explain how some of the abilities work more clearly.

The biggest problem I see with Trump Card is that the easiest way to turn it on is to mount and topple a monster, but the easiest way to do that is with Aerial Style, and the best style for Trump Card is Striker or Guild. Damn shame. Still, a 20% boost to art damage and duration is pretty nice, I might end up making an Astral set if I ever go back to LS.

Never hurts to try out Striker Lance if you haven't already! I've been using the Astral set or the Ex Shaggy armor for Dreadking/Dreadqueen hunts for fun.

Infinite

Finally cleared out of the frying pan last night after taking a break from it. Feel like a fucking champion. I went in ill prepared too with a "fuck it" mentality.

DrArchon

Never hurts to try out Striker Lance if you haven't already! I've been using the Astral set or the Ex Shaggy armor for Dreadking/Dreadqueen hunts for fun.

I'm not a fan of how slowly you move with the lance out, but I haven't used the lance since I farmed for Diablos Twisted Horns in Tri with the Barioth Lance. I guess the invincible charge art makes up for the lack of movement speed, just like how the Gunlance has the blast dash.

If I get bored of Aerial Insect Glaive I'll think about it.

Sorry I didn't check GAF. Did you manage to join the room at all? :(

But wow. Getting all the Special Permit Quests to max level is going to be a pain.

Also, I fought 25 Crystalbeard tonight and didn't get a single gold crown.

Funk that award. Remove it from MH5!

Brussels

Sorry I didn't check GAF. Did you manage to join the room at all? :(

But wow. Getting all the Special Permit Quests to max level is going to be a pain.

Also, I fought 25 Crystalbeard tonight and didn't get a single gold crown.

Funk that award. Remove it from MH5!

yup I joined, my character is A-Ron

leveling them does take forever, I've only done Silver Narga so far :( lots to go

Astral

Do you get anything good out of completing all the Prowler quests. There are already a shit ton of village quests, so many that I feel like it's taking way too long to advance. I'm like 15 hours in and just now unlocked 4 star quests.

DrArchon

Do you get anything good out of completing all the Prowler quests. There are already a shit ton of village quests, so many that I feel like it's taking way too long to advance. I'm like 15 hours in and just now unlocked 4 star quests.

You unlock stuff like a larger stable of Palicos and more places to trade with for things like fish and insect related stuff (honey, bugs, kinsect stuff), but all of that can be unlocked by increasing your hunter rank by doing hub missions, so the Prowler quests aren't necessary.

Astral

You unlock stuff like a larger stable of Palicos and more places to trade with for things like fish and insect related stuff (honey, bugs, kinsect stuff), but all of that can be unlocked by increasing your hunter rank by doing hub missions, so the Prowler quests aren't necessary.

Ok that's good. I'm more focused on getting my Tigrex GS more than anything right now and to do that I need to advance.

So, since I just finished Trails of Cold Steel, I was thinking of picking this up. Still undecided between this and Atelier Sophie. Had a bit of a craving for hunting monsters, but how active is everyone? I kind of hate hoping that randoms join and are useful, so I only really hunted with people from here when I played 4U. It's been 2 months since launch though so I figured people may have been burning out on the game around now.

ilium

So, since I just finished Trails of Cold Steel, I was thinking of picking this up. Still undecided between this and Atelier Sophie. Had a bit of a craving for hunting monsters, but how active is everyone? I kind of hate hoping that randoms join and are useful, so I only really hunted with people from here when I played 4U. It's been 2 months since launch though so I figured people may have been burning out on the game around now.

It's less active than 4U was but it's also much easier, so hunting with randoms is no problem.

NSESN

Finished my gammoth set and hit HR7, i only need 3 duramboros carapaces to finish its set too, but i will do that tomorrow.
I am going to start hunting Hypers too.
Do i need a fire resistent set or are the duram and gammoth sets enough?
I have a ceanataur set but i don't think it will be good enough without hyper parts.

Pretty much. And Monster deal way less damage as well. It's still fun tho. Just not 4U kind of fun I'd say..

Hmm... Well, I'm thinking I'll skip this one then. I don't doubt the fun, but I was kind of hesitant on style to begin with. Maybe I'll pick it up on sale, or just wait for the next one. Thanks for the info. Atelier Sophie here I come.

Thanks for letting me hunt with you guys Beats, Sammy and Sassy! It's been a little while since I was able to sit down and do some quality hunts. That was loads of fun and I hope we can do it again some time.

Shengar

Pretty much. And Monster deal way less damage as well. It's still fun tho. Just not 4U kind of fun I'd say..
Lack of G Rank helps.
Though I can't really agree with the damage. Hyper and late deviant monsters can hurt quite a lot. Yes the normal monsters are pretty wimp this time around but the game clearly focused on hyper and deviant.

DrArchon

Finally unlocked R armor sets. Such a slog to get to. Deliver 30 coal is one thing, but beating 3 hyper Tetsucabra is just boring. Might as well be one with 3x times the health.

Well, with that out of the way, I'm finally in a position to start thinking about mixed sets. I've got a charm with Handicraft +5 on it, so I can make a set with Sharpness +2 with just that and the Arc R arms and legs, but that leaves 3 more slots and I don't know which other skills to focus on. The charm also has Evasion +5, but I don't just want Evasion +1 because I'm not great at timing my dodges. I'm probably going to do Rathalos S and get AuS, Tenderizer, and Sharpness +2, unless some better idea comes to me.

kaioshade

Playing this game with randoms has got to be one of the worse experiences i have had in online gaming. This game has one of the worst communities i have ever seen. No communication, pure rudeness, and people just act like asshats.

Sorry, had to vent that one out. Sticking to discord and local friends only from this point on.

JoeFu

Banned
I don't get what happened to monster hunters when it comes to playing online. Why do random people join, dash straight to quest counter and choose quest when they join a room of 2 or more? It's so stupid haha.

I made a room, was waiting for a friend when some guy joined and immediately ran to quest counter. I just kicked him before he could do anything lol. I just kick everybody that does that now. Maybe they'll get hint someday. They worst thing is they don't even say anything!

I don't remember it being this bad in 3U or 4U lol.

I don't get what happened to monster hunters when it comes to playing online. Why do random people join, dash straight to quest counter and choose quest when they join a room of 2 or more? It's so stupid haha.

I made a room, was waiting for a friend when some guy joined and immediately ran to quest counter. I just kicked him before he could do anything lol. I just kick everybody that does that now. Maybe they'll get hint someday. They worst thing is they don't even say anything!

I don't remember it being this bad in 3U or 4U lol.
Nothing new here.

Especially if we are talking <HR8 hunters. They are all thirst for key quests. They are monsters. Vicious monsters.

JoeFu

Banned
Nothing new here.

Especially if we are talking <HR8 hunters. They are all thirst for key quests. They are monsters. Vicious monsters.

Like why don't they make their own room and have people join. It's so silly. I really hope the next MH has voice chat again. I really miss 3U on the Wii U

DrArchon

Round 2 against Into the Fry Pan. Beat Jho and Narga but ran out of healing items against Tigrex.

How do I get monsters to pay attention to Palicos? I have two protection Palicos, both with Taunt, and it seems like monsters never pay attention to them, or when they do they just kill them in 1 hit and then it's back to paying attention to me. The protection Palicos are supposed to block attacks but they never do. I even made sure they have that skill that gets them to block more, but they don't. Palicos are just completely worthless.

Top Bottom