• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Ogodei

Heh, i was so focused on getting ahead quickly my unlocked HR was only 28 (and that was with a fair bit of weapon grinding, though i definitely cheaped out on armor in high rank).

I cheaped out, until i got to HR7+, and then finally got EX Rathian S and now am untouchable as long as my shield is up and i'm facing the right direction (plus i get a freebie if i'm OHKO'd), and now the game opens up.

Hyper Duramboros is just as scary as it sounds. Hyper Zinogre wasn't bad on the flipside, but that's because i accrued a lot of time against Stygian in 4U and have their patterns down.

Tom_Cody

I finally unlocked my HR...
It jumped from 7 to 70!
o_O
Nice!

My HR was super high when it unlocked in 4U (like, ~120) as I had played through the entire single player (outside of the special missions) prior to touching online. I had also done an absurd about amount of weapon crafting in a misguided attempt to craft all of the bows as I progressed through the game. This time around I unlocked at 41 and I didn't feel like I had rushed at all.

I'm sort of curious to hear what your progression was like to unlock at such a high number. I have over 100 hours into Generations and I'm only at 53.

Tom_Cody

I'm only at HR53 and I already feel like I'm at endgame. I just finished crafting a sweet striker lance set and now I guess I'm going to focus on Deviants. Maybe I should pick up a new weapon?

What are some of the most fun new weapon/style pairings in Generations? Besides aerial switch axe.

DrArchon

Can we all agree that Blagonga is just the worst monster to fight in the entire game? I feel like 90% of its moves are just moving around quickly and erratically. And when it gets enraged it just becomes such a hassle to get a handle on. "Hop forward, hop back, hop back, hop to the side twice, dig underground, pop up on the other side of the area, lunging punch forward, then back, then charge forward, etc etc". It's fucking obnoxious and it should have never been brought back, especially when compared to Congalala being brought back for 4.

Oh, and don't get me started on Hyper Blagonga, where you lose half of your health every time it runs into you. With any luck I'll never have to fight that thing ever again now that I have my Master's Rage Cudgel.

I feel like there needs to be some concessions made in regards to how quickly monsters move if they keep expecting these games to play well on handhelds without great built in second analog sticks. Lock-on isn't enough, the nub isn't enough, and I don't want to shell extra cash just to keep an eye on this one enemy.

I'm only at HR53 and I already feel like I'm at endgame. I just finished crafting a sweet striker lance set and now I guess I'm going to focus on Deviants. Maybe I should pick up a new weapon?

What are some of the most fun new weapon/style pairings in Generations? Besides aerial switch axe.

I like Long Sword/Strike/Adept, give it a try.

DrArchon

Bulldrome is worse on the simple fact that is pretty much literally just a bigger Bullfango.

Why even bring it back.

The dromes need to go the hell away

Bulldrome is awful, but in a different way. Blagonga is annoying, while Bulldrome is just fucking boring. I still think Blagonga edges it out because Bulldromes never have a lot of HP so the fights don't last long and their's no Hyper Bulldrome as far as I know.

All of the dromes can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. I wish I was in the MH team meetings with a rolled up newspaper that I could smack guys around with every time someone suggested bringing back Velocidrome for the 50th time instead of having Great Jaggi again (or god forbid making new assets for a new monster).

AsakuraZ

Hey guys, just made it to HR4 the other night, been slacking a bit with X due to other games and just been plain busy.

Any specific sets I should be shooting for now that I've made it to High Rank hunts?

DrArchon

Hey guys, just made it to HR4 the other night, been slacking a bit with X due to other games and just been plain busy.

Any specific sets I should be shooting for now that I've made it to High Rank hunts?

Find a group farming HR Rathalos and get that if you want a general offensive set. HR Yian Garuga is a nice utility set with Mind's Eye and Earplugs, and the Nargacuga set works if you like to stay right in the monsters' faces with fast weapons.

Just my general recommendations.

AsakuraZ

Find a group farming HR Rathalos and get that if you want a general offensive set. HR Yian Garuga is a nice utility set with Mind's Eye and Earplugs, and the Nargacuga set works if you like to stay right in the monsters' faces with fast weapons.

Just my general recommendations.

Much appreciated! I switch around weapons a lot to match elem weaknesses, but like to use Great Sword, Charge Blade and Long Sword mostly.

Tom_Cody

I like Long Sword/Strike/Adept, give it a try.
Adept Longsword has definitely interested me.

Can anyone vouch for Aerial Great Sword? I sort of want to build an aerial set since some fights are a pain if no one is mounting. I did nearly 300 hours of SA in 4U so I specifically want to avoid aerial SA this time around. Great Sword would also be nice for Rajang.

NSESN

Adept Longsword has definitely interested me.

Can anyone vouch for Aerial Great Sword? I sort of want to build an aerial set since some fights are a pain if no one is mounting. I did nearly 300 hours of SA in 4U so I specifically want to avoid aerial SA this time around. Great Sword would also be nice for Rajang.

I main aerial GS, it's not my favourite weapon but i think it makes the battles faster
Once i hit HR7+ i will change to Lance/DS

PKrockin

"Anyone feel like [monster introduced before third gen] is a terribly designed monster and annoying fight?"

Yes. Nearly all of them. They could cut like 80% of the first and second gen monsters from the roster and I would not shed a tear. Bring back their third gen equivalents to replace them. They are actually interesting monsters and good fights. Bring back Jaggis to replace Dromes. Bring back Peco to replace those garbage bird wyverns. Fatalis is shit, Dire Miralis and Alatreon are far cooler. What the fuck is Cephadrome doing in this game now that Nibelsnarf is back? What, we need an early monster that paralyzes so people can make early paralysis weapons? Then bring back Gobul. who cares if he fights on land, he can still go underground in wet, marshy areas, that's good enough. Nobody's complaining about Plesioth fighting on land, and he's a shit monster.

Blangonga is Rajang's less deadly but equally annoying little brother. They both have that stupid movement pattern of hopping around randomly 6 times in a row, except Rajang's hops significantly hurt you.

El Odio

Banned
Drome family aside what are the other gen 1/2 monsters in this game? They made village HR2 a serious drag but everything else hasn't been too unbearable for me yet.

PKrockin

Drome family aside what are the other gen 1/2 monsters in this game? They made village HR2 a serious drag but everything else hasn't been too unbearable for me yet.
Velocidrome
Bulldrome
Gendrome
Cephadrome
Yian Kut-Ku
Iodrome
Gypceros

Daimyo Hermitaur
Khezu
Rathian
Gold Rathian
Plesioth
Blangonga
Lavasioth
Shogun Ceanataur

Nargacuga
Yian Garuga
Rathalos
Silver Rathalos
Tigrex
Kirin
Rajang
Furious Rajang?
Kushala Daora

Chameleos
Teostra
Akantor
Ukanlos

I bolded the ones I think are bad designs or fights. At least they fixed a lot of their hitboxes. A few were completely reworked to decent monsters, like Chameleos. There are some edge cases like Tigrex who I like but his hitboxes can be frustratingly bad still, or Rathalos who is kinda cool but the fight is basically just a check that the player knows what flash bombs are. I also forgot about Akantor and Ukanlos, who are just okay all around, so I'll say 75% of gen 1-2 monsters are crap.

No wait 80%, because Gravios and Basarios aren't in this game but are among the stupidest designs and worst fights in the mainline series.

upandaway

I like Tigrex though. And I feel like Khezu and Gypceros could be good monsters to fight if they were reworked (especially Khezu would require a lot of changes but I like the core concept of it)

DrArchon

I like Tigrex though. And I feel like Khezu and Gypceros could be good monsters to fight if they were reworked (especially Khezu would require a lot of changes but I like the core concept of it)

There's no reason to rework Khezu though, because Gigginox is a thing they could easily bring back if they wanted a better designed blind leech wyvern.

Gypceros would require heavy reworking, because aside from a handful of moves like the standing tail swipes and the flash attacks, it's just a Yian Kut-Ku/Yian Garuga, only with more poison. With the amount of reworking required, they'd essentially be making a brand new monster, and if that's the case, why not just make a new monster?

onionfrog

Nice!
I'm sort of curious to hear what your progression was like to unlock at such a high number. I have over 100 hours into Generations and I'm only at 53.
I've clocked around 115 hours so far.
-Completed all non-advanced, non-powler village quests.
-Made a few full high rank armor sets.
-Farmed LR elder dragons and HR Nakarkos to make the Black S set.
-Fought a bunch of HR6 and HR7 hyper monsters.
-Got enough heavy armor spheres to max out the defense on my Rathalos S set before unlocking my HR.
-Quite a few hours worth of Sakura charm farming. (I got a expert +10 OOO charm this weekend! YAASS!)

I'm looking forward to finally be able to max out some weapons now that I've unlocked my HR!
Can we all agree that Blagonga is just the worst monster to fight in the entire game?
Blagonga is trash!
The dromes are pretty damn bad too.

They should bring back Great Jaggi, Baggi and Wroggi for the next game.

tuffy

After lots of bowgunning, I've decided to branch out a little and give the bows a try. I had enough parts on hand that I could put together the maxed-out Teostra bow with a little effort and built an armor set that looked promising (Normal Up, Load Up, Focus, Peak Performance). And after practicing on some promising Village targets like Zinogre, Brachy and Shagaru, my hunt times were surprisingly good! It seems most of my bowgun instincts are still applicable to the bow and even the R trigger to aim is the same.

Seeing a good bow user in action is inspiring.

Shengar

No wait 80%, because Gravios and Basarios aren't in this game but are among the stupidest designs and worst fights in the mainline series.
You forgot to bold Teostra right there. The living sun monster is pretty fun to fight in MH4U, but the absence of G Rank in MHGen makea me realized how awful that elder dragon is.

El Odio

Banned
Hm, out of the bolded I actually like the Yian Garuga, khezu, and Tigrex, though I dread fighting the latter half the time since it's so damn aggressive. Cephadrome is probably my least favorite monster since all it does is flail around in the dirt and run away.

That said I don't necessarily hate most of the listed monsters but I see why they can be seen as annoying with so many repeated designs, both in body and behavior. MayBe if I continue to keep up with the series I'll start to see what you mean.

I think the only monster I've never liked hunting was Jhen Mohran. But that was also back when I had to do everything solo.

Otherwise I like a lot of the monsters in the 3rd and 4th Generation because not too many of them have copied and pasted movesets. Like how Deviljho, Brachydios and Glavenus have completely different movesets, attacks and patterns yet all 3 are Brute Wyverns. It really makes things feel diverse.

DrArchon

Can anyone tell me what Ancient Fish look like? I need a bunch to level up my Kinsects now and I've never seen one before so I don't know what to look for when fishing. I don't want to sit in one spot and wait for them to spawn, but I can't properly enter/exit the zone a check for Ancient Fish if I don't know what they look like.

God, why can't fishing just be like every other gatherable resource? I already had enough problems trying to farm enough Glutton Tuna to upgrade Kinsects, and now this.

Beats

Can anyone tell me what Ancient Fish look like? I need a bunch to level up my Kinsects now and I've never seen one before so I don't know what to look for when fishing. I don't want to sit in one spot and wait for them to spawn, but I can't properly enter/exit the zone a check for Ancient Fish if I don't know what they look like.

God, why can't fishing just be like every other gatherable resource? I already had enough problems trying to farm enough Glutton Tuna to upgrade Kinsects, and now this.

iirc, they're big, long and sort of grey-ish.

Leiru

So i did the ushio and tora event quest, which gves you an insect glaive with a bug fully leveled up. But i don't know what the skill it gives you even mean.

Kinsect skill: power up (L), weight up, movement down.
Extract skill: R extract up, R sustain (L).

spiritfox

So i did the ushio and tora event quest, which gves you an insect glaive with a bug fully leveled up. But i don't know what the skill it gives you even mean.

Kinsect skill: power up (L), wight up, movement down.

Kinsect damage up (only the kinsect), more stamina, slower speed
Red extract boost (dunno by how much), longer red extract (dunno by how much)

Rambler

"Anyone feel like [monster introduced before third gen] is a terribly designed monster and annoying fight?"

Yes. Nearly all of them. They could cut like 80% of the first and second gen monsters from the roster and I would not shed a tear. Bring back their third gen equivalents to replace them. They are actually interesting monsters and good fights. Bring back Jaggis to replace Dromes. Bring back Peco to replace those garbage bird wyverns. Fatalis is shit, Dire Miralis and Alatreon are far cooler. What the fuck is Cephadrome doing in this game now that Nibelsnarf is back? What, we need an early monster that paralyzes so people can make early paralysis weapons? Then bring back Gobul. who cares if he fights on land, he can still go underground in wet, marshy areas, that's good enough. Nobody's complaining about Plesioth fighting on land, and he's a shit monster.

Blangonga is Rajang's less deadly but equally annoying little brother. They both have that stupid movement pattern of hopping around randomly 6 times in a row, except Rajang's hops significantly hurt you.
How can 'tribaby' even be considered an insult anymore after two games of shitty old monsters?

Shengar

Guys should i do s gammoth s set or a duramboros set?

Again, it depends on your weapon and what you aim to do.
Breaking part and more power in cold area? Gammoth.
Easy use of GS? Duramboros.
I say make both as their skills are quite different to each other.

How can 'tribaby' even be considered an insult anymore after two games of shitty old monsters?

There's something like tribaby insult?

Tom_Cody

I've clocked around 115 hours so far.
-Completed all non-advanced, non-powler village quests.
-Made a few full high rank armor sets.
-Farmed LR elder dragons and HR Nakarkos to make the Black S set.
-Fought a bunch of HR6 and HR7 hyper monsters.
-Got enough heavy armor spheres to max out the defense on my Rathalos S set before unlocking my HR.
-Quite a few hours worth of Sakura charm farming. (I got a expert +10 OOO charm this weekend! YAASS!)

I'm looking forward to finally be able to max out some weapons now that I've unlocked my HR!
Wow, you've been a lot more productive in your 115 hours then I have been in my 100.

DrArchon

Kinsect skill: power up (L), weight up, movement down.

Oh, it gives you a fully made bug? That's incredibly disappointing. I was thinking about getting that IG, but I'm completely in love with Speed bugs, so a slow moving power bug sounds awful to me. Looks like I'm sticking with the S.Magala IG for a while longer.

Also, for some specific numbers for that bug's abilities, it looks like it's a lvl 10 Power bug, so glancing at Gajin hunter's video on Kinsects, it looks like the R extract up means red extracts give you 15 power instead of 5, and the duration is increased from 60 seconds to 72 seconds.

Rawk Hawk

After lots of bowgunning, I've decided to branch out a little and give the bows a try. I had enough parts on hand that I could put together the maxed-out Teostra bow with a little effort and built an armor set that looked promising (Normal Up, Load Up, Focus, Peak Performance). And after practicing on some promising Village targets like Zinogre, Brachy and Shagaru, my hunt times were surprisingly good! It seems most of my bowgun instincts are still applicable to the bow and even the R trigger to aim is the same.

Seeing a good bow user in action is inspiring.

Nice, I need to work on arena stuff so I can add load up to stuff. Tried soloing Malfestio over lunch one day and completed it in 10:56 and haven't gone back lol.

tuffy

Nice, I need to work on arena stuff so I can add load up to stuff. Tried soloing Malfestio over lunch one day and completed it in 10:56 and haven't gone back lol.
I use the Akantor Fangs R hat which offers 8(!) points of Loading and one slot, and doesn't need any Arena work at all. It does need a few Akantor Spikes, but you can get those quickly solo just by breaking his face and subquesting out.

I'm never going to be good enough at the Arena to get the Barrage Earrings because there's too many weapons I'm terrible at.

ilium

I use the Akantor Fangs R hat which offers 8(!) points of Loading and one slot, and doesn't need any Arena work at all. It does need a few Akantor Spikes, but you can get those quickly solo just by breaking his face and subquesting out.

I'm never going to be good enough at the Arena to get the Barrage Earrings because there's too many weapons I'm terrible at.

Getting the earrings is really easy this time around! The Arena quests are not difficult and most if not all of them let you go at least LBG. Me and my random Arena Buddy S-ranked most Arena quests without trying so no worries. It's also not necessary to do all weapons, A-Rank once is enough.

Rawk Hawk

Yea I think the earrings are pretty easy, just haven't really had free time to play much online, soloing them is probably even doable, I'm just not that good.

Although 8 and a slot is pretty solid, what other pieces did you use? I think the Teo set I saw that was the most popular in Japan was a Normal Up, Loading, Focus, True Shot and Ammo Saver, but dropping true shot and ammo saver for peak performance may be worth it if it's more accessible.

EDIT: Yea, found what I originally saw, was a Rising Fun Gaming video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nayiiGNAYzc

tuffy

Getting the earrings is really easy this time around! The Arena quests are not difficult and most if not all of them let you go at least LBG. Me and my random Arena Buddy S-ranked most Arena quests without trying so no worries. It's also not necessary to do all weapons, A-Rank once is enough.
I did not know that! It used to be so that you needed a completion with every weapon and an A rank in one of them, or something like that. I'm glad it's a lot easier now.
Yea I think the earrings are pretty easy, just haven't really had free time to play much online, soloing them is probably even doable, I'm just not that good.

Although 8 and a slot is pretty solid, what other pieces did you use? I think the Teo set I saw that was the most popular in Japan was a Normal Up, Loading, Focus, True Shot and Ammo Saver, but dropping true shot and ammo saver for peak performance may be worth it if it's more accessible.

EDIT: Yea, found what I originally saw, was a Rising Fun Gaming video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nayiiGNAYzc
Going from memory, my set's made up of:
  • Akantor Fangs R
  • Hero's Tunic (from Zelda DLC)
  • Storge R Guards
  • Storge S/R Coat
  • Storge S Leggings
and a modest Fastcharge +2 OOO charm. Can't quite remember which coat I picked, but there's not much difference between them in terms of points and slots. Athena's had options for either.

I don't have the sort of godly Normal Up +5 OOO charm to make that Teo bow set work, but Peak Performance isn't that hard to maintain fighting ranged so long as the little monsters leave me alone.

Rawk Hawk

I don't have the sort of godly Normal Up +5 OOO charm to make that Teo bow set work, but Peak Performance isn't that hard to maintain fighting ranged so long as the little monsters leave me alone.

Yea I don't either, he has a video of some sets without Ammo Saver, but then it's True Shot Up or Peak Performance, and I'm not sure one is exactly better than the other. I'd be new to bow if I made a set, so I can't be sure I'll be nailing those power shots. Peak Performance may end up being better.

I did save a charm I thought was sweet, it was a Normal +10 Haphazard +8, but learned later the Normal +10 is just to add normal shots, not actually boost their damage, meh.

Top Bottom