• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Comandr

ey yo..can MH Cross connect with pals playing MH Generations?

can't see why they wouldn't..online and local

No. They might seem similar, but they are extremely different games in terms of gameplay.

Different monsters, different areas, different weapons, different palico/prowler system. Different everything.

Different.

I swear gammoths trunk is unbreakable

I focus on its face and literally everything but the trunk breaks

I focus on the trunk and then the none of the face breaks nor does the trunk

ey yo..can MH Cross connect with pals playing MH Generations?

can't see why they wouldn't..online and local
No. Japan has its own servers with no cross-region play. I don't know if that applies to local, but probably.

I was surprised I didn't wound it the first time since I went ham on its face with a HH. And I'm actually gonna try to farm some Trunkspines, so this is disheartening to read :p

Speaking of breaking, I couldn't break Mizutsune's claws for the life of me. My HH just kept being deflected. Is it the front or hind claws for the Mizutsune Claw? Thankfully I got it from a carve (20%), but I'm gonna need more eventually.

ohlawd

front claws for Mizutsune

k thanks, I think one of you was a GAF member. just need to do coal and one prowler quest but that's it

Can anyone give me a general overview was to how I should be playing the Great Sword? Gaijin hunter's video was helpful, but I'm wondering what moves to focus on, specifically.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to getting a 3DS XL (traded in my 2DS) and picked up MHGen. I could have SWORN one of the features I was excited about when it was first announced was a hide helmet option but I must have been mistaken. Oh well. You can still play as a cat.

Light Bowgun REPRESENT

Speaking of, how is LBG in the various Hunter modes such as Guild, Striker, Air, and Adpet?

Boney

Banned
Can anyone give me a general overview was to how I should be playing the Great Sword? Gaijin hunter's video was helpful, but I'm wondering what moves to focus on, specifically.
Unsheathe attack is your go to. If you feel you have the time charge it if not just roll to the side. Charging will always be stronger than multiple hits. On traps or knockouts go for the super charge after a sword slap or a horizontal slash.
Roll to slap is great for movement. Horizontal is nice since you can reangle while moving one step forward and the over head is for hitting tall targets like tails.

Scher

front claws for Mizutsune

k thanks, I think one of you was a GAF member. just need to do coal and one prowler quest but that's it

I had hopped in there later on and probably ground pounded everyone a few times because I'm still trying to get a hold on hunting horn! This was my first time using it in a full group.

Cerity

It might only be vulnerable to impact if you're using a cutting weapon. iirc Barroth's crown and Urag's chin could only be broken with impact while every weapon could break everything else.

delume

Alright, what a ride! So 55 hours in and I would call my first foray into monster hunting a joyous success. Once you learn to wrestle the controls and gain insight into how all the arcane systems work, there is a lovingly crafted game there that is prepared to absorb as many hours as you can throw at it. I have just hit my first proper 'grind' moment where to upgrade any of my weapons I need to hit high rank content again and again, so that should be enough for me. Thanks everyone in this thread for your advice and sharing your experiences with the game. Cool community. 😃

blackflag

I feel like aerial switch axe is just too OP and trivializes the game too much. It's too easy.

Like instead of rolling away from an attack I just aerial dodge in to them and hit them twice.

Comandr

Is there still no information from the World of Monster Hunter panel at Comic-Con? It's been over for about an hour and I haven't heard or seen a single peep. Like it didn't even happen.

rec0ded1

I just unlocked two star quests and the other towns. If I join a multiplayer lobby am going to have a bad time pissing people off since I'm just getting the hang of things?

Comandr

I just unlocked two star quests and the other towns. If I join a multiplayer lobby am going to have a bad time pissing people off since I'm just getting the hang of things?

You could always set your search parameters to only include rooms that are for hunters in your hunter rank or very close. That way everyone is new. If that's what you want.

I came here looking for the same thing. Weren't they teasing a surprise?

Yeah and announcements and magic and miracles. >=\

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4uabp6/monster_hunter_panel_at_sdcc/

Cerity

So yeah, 100% affinity is fun to play with.

If they decide to bring styles/arts into the next game, I hope they overhaul the camera system. It's so hard to keep the camera up with faster monsters when you're flying/dodging everywhere. L-targeting works alright after one, maybe two dodges/vaults but anymore and it feels like I'm giving myself some severe whiplash.

One thing I'm grateful for is the reduced importance of tail cutting. With a good group, or one that didn't have a mounter/paralyzer, cutting the tails off of certain monsters before they died was a legit challange.
You get tails from carves and rewards and I have never once regretted missing out on that 2% chance of some super rare gem like I did in 3&4U. By 3 kills in Gen, I seem to have at least 1 of that monsters rarest items

It might only be vulnerable to impact if you're using a cutting weapon. iirc Barroth's crown and Urag's chin could only be broken with impact while every weapon could break everything else.

Yeah I've been tackling him with IG and DBs

I managed to finally cut it with an IG. Broke right as it died but no trunkspine

ugh

I'll try hammer

JP_

Banned
With Athena's armor calculator, what does "O--" mean?

As in
Skull Visage (or anything with Torso Inc)
Battle Mail
Ceanataur Braces
Hermitaur Tassets
Bnahabra Boots
-----------------
O--
-----------------
1x Ironwall Jwl 2 (in Torso)
1x Razor Jwl 1
1x Ironwall Jwl 1
-----------------
76-390 Def, -4 Fir, 1 Wat, -4 Ice, -8 Thn, 5 Drg

ohlawd

I love Plessy so much. failed my first quest cuz the other dudes fainted. of course they all left afterward. Diablos should have been in for more bodybags

Mupod

I was getting kind of tired of 2 minute zergfest hunts so I'm kinda glad Sammy dragged us through low rank hell quests before I actually got some high rank gear. Looking forward to fighting more of those deviants.

Cindro

What's the best way to research the different armors available at any given point?

I've run into some problems so far trying to track this information down:

1. Each piece of armor is a separate category at the smithy - there is no "full set" option to look at. Is there a way to see, in-game, what bonuses a full set will give? (I'm assuming there's some benefit to combining all five components from the same set)

2. What's the differences between the helmet and cap versions of different headgear pieces?

3. Are there any good armor guides for MHGen that include pictures? I've seen some databases that list necessary materials, but without knowing what the armor set looks like I can't know if I actually want it or not.

Despite the EXCRUCIATINGLY tedious pace at the beginning, at least for those like me who are doing every quest at each tier (partially because I'm still learning the ropes and want to make sure I don't skip out on a mission that teaches a new mechanic or idea), I'm still feeling myself improve. I just beat the Tetsucabra and unlocked 3* quests, but my default armor needs an overhaul so I can start climbing the ranks in style.

Maybe this will be the level of quests where I start skipping some of the gathering-focused ones, hah. I specifically hate the Accounting missions, as I have no clue what items count for points until I look them up online.

It will be nice to have a surplus of materials for later on though, at least!

JP_

Banned
What's the best way to research the different armors available at any given point?

I've run into some problems so far trying to track this information down:

1. Each piece of armor is a separate category at the smithy - there is no "full set" option to look at. Is there a way to see, in-game, what bonuses a full set will give? (I'm assuming there's some benefit to combining all five components from the same set)

2. What's the differences between the helmet and cap versions of different headgear pieces?

3. Are there any good armor guides for MHGen that include pictures? I've seen some databases that list necessary materials, but without knowing what the armor set looks like I can't know if I actually want it or not.

Despite the EXCRUCIATINGLY tedious pace at the beginning, at least for those like me who are doing every quest at each tier (partially because I'm still learning the ropes and want to make sure I don't skip out on a mission that teaches a new mechanic or idea), I'm still feeling myself improve. I just beat the Tetsucabra and unlocked 3* quests, but my default armor needs an overhaul so I can start climbing the ranks in style.

Maybe this will be the level of quests where I start skipping some of the gathering-focused ones, hah. I specifically hate the Accounting missions, as I have no clue what items count for points until I look them up online.

It will be nice to have a surplus of materials for later on though, at least!

https://www.facebook.com/AthenasArmorSetSearch/

With this, you can plug in what skills you want and find combinations based on your current progress. No pics though.

2. There's two sets (one set for blademasters, which are most weapons, and one set for gunners, which are bowguns and bow) and you'll use one or the other based on what weapon class you're using -- you can't wear different sets than your weapon, but some armor pieces are compatible with both. Caps are usually part of the gunner set.

For Accounting missions, it's the "account item" items that'll give you points, but afaik there's no easy way to see how much they're worth in-game until you turn them in.

Just beat Glavenus. Wow, what a fight. I was on the edge of my seat and actively yelling. Very fun, if not a little nerve-wracking!

Also, loading screen shenanigans were out full force, haha. Kind of frustrating. But I wouldn't trade MH loading screen shenanigans for the world.

Comandr

Just beat Glavenus. Wow, what a fight. I was on the edge of my seat and actively yelling. Very fun, if not a little nerve-wracking!

Also, loading screen shenanigans were out full force, haha. Kind of frustrating. But I wouldn't trade MH loading screen shenanigans for the world.

First encounter with Glavenus.
tumblr_n09q0pK4Xl1sjbdipo4_400.gif

Second encounter with Glavenus.
3168734019_2821fc7e9a.jpg

Feels good man.

Finally got around to getting a 3DS XL (traded in my 2DS) and picked up MHGen. I could have SWORN one of the features I was excited about when it was first announced was a hide helmet option but I must have been mistaken. Oh well. You can still play as a cat.

Light Bowgun REPRESENT

Speaking of, how is LBG in the various Hunter modes such as Guild, Striker, Air, and Adpet?

Sorry I'm late but Light Bowgun REPRESENT WOO WOOOO.

I'm at 5* Village quests now. I'd have to say that Adept is the best style by a good margin. It fixed almost every major weakness of LBG. It's so wonderful.

My only issue is the lack of good elemental Rapid Fire weapons early on. I have the Royal Launcher for Water but I can just now get the Rathling Gun for Fire. Took a while.

Demoli

Man I just love Adept Hammer, yu are pretty much dancing around the monsterrs at all times, there's ltierally no downside, brilliant.

I have some issues with the monster selection though. Gen 3 made a huge effort to modernize the monsters, Dromes turned into Jaggis which had better movets and hitboxes, Kut ku into Peco which ahd way more mechanics and was unique and not just a toned down rath. Khezu turned into Gigginox and so on so forth. So why do they bring back trash like Bullfango(drome) back. That thing is utterly unredeemable. Same thing with the other Dromes and prey. And then other staples are left out, like Diablos, or even great newcomers like the Nerscylla. Just what gives?

It just seems to be done for the sake of nostalgia to the first few games and not to improve the game, which is a shame. MH3G still has the GOAT monster selection.

Oh well, at least they got rid of Basarios and Gravious for the superior armoured monsters, Uragaan and Agnaktor

at least we got Rajang and Jho back. my fave monsters are the ones that cause the most carts
You know, I was just fighting Teostra and S. Magala and they reminded me of the level 140 quests in MH4U.

They need to bring those back. It was so much fun. The best quests in the franchise's history.

Top Bottom