• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Beats

Yeah, the Mizutsune HBG is pretty good for pierce. It also has built in Piercing Water Lvl1/Lvl2 shots which are very effective against stuff like Glavenus/Yian Garuga.

Pejo

Very helpful, thanks!

Was solo-ing some of the 4* Guild gather/small monster quests last night. Why does capcom make these so damn painful.

That "collect 3 white liver" quest was literally the worst. I almost timed out trying to get 3 fucking livers.

Is there any trick to making small monsters spawn more consistently or faster? like I tried zoning 2-3 maps away then coming back, but it didn't seem to help. After like a half hour of killing all the Kelbis, i could only get a single one to respawn on a single map, making this 10x worse.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Would be cool/funny if the guild cards kept track of how many times you carted to each monster.

I guess that would just make more people shut their 3DS off after carting on a quest I guess, so maybe not actually...

I, at least, would love some more stat tracking like that. Would love to know what monsters I have the easiest and hardest time against, average kill times, etc.

Dak'kon

Is there any trick to making small monsters spawn more consistently or faster? like I tried zoning 2-3 maps away then coming back, but it didn't seem to help. After like a half hour of killing all the Kelbis, i could only get a single one to respawn on a single map, making this 10x worse.

From my experience... no. Even with multiple Hunters you don't get more small monster spawns so it barely seems worth doing some quests with others.

I, at least, would love some more stat tracking like that. Would love to know what monsters I have the easiest and hardest time against, average kill times, etc.

I think they need to start tracking more stats next entry. After spending 200+ hours with a game you really should be able to see more on how you've played the game.

So the "Advanced" Village quests are high rank I assume? After dodging Los' attacks for the first five minutes of the 4 monster hunt he proceeded to one shot me with his bite attack...

spiritfox

For the next game I want them to make bows conform more to the terrain. It's especially painful with the 4th gen maps, and was the main reason why I didn't use bow in MH4U.

Pejo

From my experience... no. Even with multiple Hunters you don't get more small monster spawns so it barely seems worth doing some quests with others.

Agreed. I still try to get a group for the 30-50 bugs one though, just to save myself some legwork

For the next game I want them to make bows conform more to the terrain. It's especially painful with the 4th gen maps, and was the main reason why I didn't use bow in MH4U.

Yea that has been painful for me trying to hit parts with my kinsect on IG too. The dunes area 1 in the sand for the LR Steve quest was especially shit for kinsect and I assume bow.

Crowbear

I ended up doing the two 50 bug quests by myself last night and while they "only" took ~25 minutes each they were insanely boring and I have no idea why they're even in the game.

On the plus side I ended up recruiting a pretty much GodCat right after that (just missing emergency escape or whatever it's called) and managed to do the Bulldrome + Arzuros prowler quest solo in around 5 minutes despite not knowing what I was doing and just throwing Big Piercing boomerangs around willy nilly. So good.

edit: A question about the cat. Is there a way to speed up getting the 3 bars you need to activate the boomerang skils? Because the minute or so before you have both active kinda sucks.

Mupod

I ended up doing the two 50 bug quests by myself last night and while they "only" took ~25 minutes each they were insanely boring and I have no idea why they're even in the game.

On the plus side I ended up recruiting a pretty much GodCat right after that (just missing emergency escape or whatever it's called) and managed to do the Bulldrome + Arzuros prowler quest solo in around 5 minutes despite not knowing what I was doing and just throwing Big Piercing boomerangs around willy nilly. So good.

edit: A question about the cat. Is there a way to speed up getting the 3 bars you need to activate the boomerang skils? Because the minute or so before you have both active kinda sucks.

Do more damage, especially against large monsters.

Cats have a lot more combos than you might think. XXXA I think is a good one. Or double charged boomerang. A X has some uses as well.

I'm giving away NyantaleX, PoogieP, and Choco the Godcat in the lobby below. I'll be sakura charm farming, so if I'm not in the hub give me ~3 minutes to get back.

57-5397-5328-5342
Pass is 1111

I'm still in the hub as of 1226 pm central. Cocaine I can give it to you later today.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Finally, finally, finally got Focus gemmed in. Got fortunate enough to find a charm with 3 slots and +2 FastCharge. Haven't had a chance to do any hunts with it yet, we'll see if it makes a difference.

I'm giving away NyantaleX, PoogieP, and Choco the Godcat in the lobby below. I'll be sakura charm farming, so if I'm not in the hub give me ~3 minutes to get back.

57-5397-5328-5342
Pass is 1111

I'm still in the hub as of 1226 pm central. Cocaine I can give it to you later today.

Are these cats primarily for prowler mode, or are they good support for solo play?

Also, out of context quotes re: the bolded haha

Pejo

57-5397-5328-5342
Pass is 1111

I might try to keep tabs of you giving these away later today too. I'm at work now but I only have a single "decent" cat for Prowler, I'd love to actually get one of the good ones.

I don't recognize them by names, is one of your cats the superior support/trapper one too?

Juraash

Well I don't know exactly how or why, but this game is finally grabbing me the way MH usually does. I slogged my way through to village 6* and actually enjoyed it. Once you get away from some of the garbage monsters and start fighting more new stuff it really helps. The flagships are pretty fun to fight and village stuff from 4U is also all good in my book.

Did a bunch of cat quests last night for unlocks. Still really hate playing them, probably need the beast mode palicoes, but I havent been online yet to grab them. And I'm couple of mats away for my mixed focus/critical draw set, so I've milked almost all I can put of village.. Also downloaded discord this morning and I think I'll be venturing online over the weekend.

Traditionally I solo a bunch of online before I group up with other people, but I may opt to not go it alone as much this time.

Syril

I'm still just on 3* village, but all the new monsters so far have been really fun. Great Maccao is definitely my favorite raptor both in design (feathered dinosaurs finally!) and moveset. I haven't reached Malfestio in the full game yet, but I fought him in the demo at least 30 times or so. Astalos is just awesome, I fought him during the egg stealing quest, and it took me 35 minutes and went through all my potions before the end. The last time I had an attrition battle that intense was when I fought Kut-Ku for the first time in MH1.

ChrisD

The lack of keyboard makes online with randoms so awkward. I mean, it's been that way since 4U, it's nothing new. But it's such a glaring issue that unfortunately has no real answer to. Like I remember in Tri how talkative everyone was, it filled the downtime between quests and definitely seemed to have improved the community. While a bit quiet in comparison, 3U still had nice interactions. 4U and Generations though, nobody really talks, and it's completely understandable because touchscreen keyboards suck.

One change I would love is if they allowed you to chat in quests again. Doesn't change the touchscreen keyboard thing, but it's a weird restriction that I don't think has a place.

Mupod

The lack of keyboard makes online with randoms so awkward. I mean, it's been that way since 4U, it's nothing new. But it's such a glaring issue that unfortunately has no real answer to. Like I remember in Tri how talkative everyone was, it filled the downtime between quests and definitely seemed to have improved the community. While a bit quiet in comparison, 3U still had nice interactions. 4U and Generations though, nobody really talks, and it's completely understandable because touchscreen keyboards suck.

One change I would love is if they allowed you to chat in quests again. Doesn't change the touchscreen keyboard thing, but it's a weird restriction that I don't think has a place.

Yep...I'll buy any MH but this stripped down 3DS multiplayer kills me sometimes. My most wanted thing in the world is another MH that embraces the PSO-like community elements. Give us real lobbies, servers, and rooms. I want to be able to go to a server and see if any GAF rooms are up at any given time. Or hang out in a city and just see all kinds of people in their gear, chat with them, form groups.

The 10 player lobbies the JP version of Tri had sounded amazing. The sub fee not so much...I do think it'd be cool if there was an optional sub fee that would let you host rooms like that. Doubt that would ever happen unless they start making mainline MH F2P. And I hope that's a long ways off.

At any rate, once I'm not 5000 hunter ranks behind everyone else I'll join the GAF Discord. Back in my day we just used IRC...

demonkaze

I'm at HR 4, got the urgent for HR5 and was wondering whats a good armor set for Lance users? Should i get the Rathalos S set and then the Glav set?

Moondrop

Banned
I beat the Fated Four and all available village quests in my Rare1 Maccao armor. I expect my award is in the mail.

Now I've finally entered the hub and going to see how far I can solo. All hail Stamina Drain.

Thanks to whoever posted the tip about checking palico recruits in all four villages. I got an uber boomerang cat that I named Ivanka so no one would steal her. :p

tuffy

I've actually been doing a lot of Hub quests solo and thus far it hasn't been all that hard even while trying to upgrade out of my low rank gear. Quests could be time-consuming because my attack power was low and they were balanced for multiple people, but I haven't run into anything that feels like some impenetrable wall. It doesn't feel much different that going from Village low rank to Village high rank in previous games, really.

Beats

Doing a few HR Brachydios runs if anyone wants to join me:

44-9254-3436-3157

I've actually been doing a lot of Hub quests solo and thus far it hasn't been all that hard even while trying to upgrade out of my low rank gear. Quests could be time-consuming because my attack power was low and they were balanced for multiple people, but I haven't run into anything that feels like some impenetrable wall. It doesn't feel much different that going from Village low rank to Village high rank in previous games, really.

Yeah the early hub isn't too bad to solo. I've found that a good amount of quests in the later ranks can be pretty tough solo as a gunner especially a few of the hyper monsters which can either one hit you or do a good chunk of damage with their big attacks. Those sort of hunts don't really feel too different from late g-rank in 4U heh.

colinp

Banned

57-5397-5328-5342
Pass is 1111

Ooh, I'd love to join in if/when you open up again later!

redcrayon

I'm at HR 4, got the urgent for HR5 and was wondering whats a good armor set for Lance users? Should i get the Rathalos S set and then the Glav set?
I've just got the high rank Seregios set, Constitution+2 and expert draw is a pretty good, rounded set for lancers. You can block for longer against multiple hits (great vs repeated attacks from tunnelers or raging melee creatures), run for longer when charging, and your first strike is +100 affinity.

redcrayon

I'm still just on 3* village, but all the new monsters so far have been really fun. Great Maccao is definitely my favorite raptor both in design (feathered dinosaurs finally!) and moveset. I haven't reached Malfestio in the full game yet, but I fought him in the demo at least 30 times or so. Astalos is just awesome, I fought him during the egg stealing quest, and it took me 35 minutes and went through all my potions before the end. The last time I had an attrition battle that intense was when I fought Kut-Ku for the first time in MH1.

Astalos's charging claw attacks are a cool combination of animation and sound effect, they look lethal and predatory. For a series with many flying lizards and lightning elemental creatures, they did a great job in making it fight in a unique manner, and it looks great too.

Actually I like all the new designs apart from Gammoth, which is just a mammoth with a few plates and obvious icy moves. I think they could have pushed that concept a bit further, looking at what they did with the others.

Felt a bit sorry for my pal Seregios, having been introduced as a rival for Rathalos in the last game, and doesn't even get a mention when the fluff talks about how Astalos is one of the few wyverns that can stand up to Rath in the air!

blackflag

I'm on HR5 soloing everything and it's getting tough because I'm still using LR armor. I haven't seen anything I want to upgrade to yet. I am on the urgent for HR6 and bubble dude has a couple moves that 1 shot kill me. I almost just beat him on my first try but I'm not sure I can go farther without at least getting some kind of better armor.

Top Bottom