• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

ChrisD

Completely stupid joke that randomly popped into my head during a Kirin quest:

What song was a top-seller to the Felynes in Pokke Village for weeks?
Ain't Nya Meowntain High Enough

im sorry

JP_

Banned
Discord invite is expired.

Also, is there anything like Athena's armor calculator but for weapons? Put in village/guild star level, find out what weapons are available with those mats.

Beats

Discord invite is expired.

Also, is there anything like Athena's armor calculator but for weapons? Put in village/guild star level, find out what weapons are available with those mats.

I updated the link in the OP.

Not sure about your question though unfortunately.

vareon

Fought Astalos yesterday. His wing slash reaches really long, I miscalculated my distance more than once.

Fought Gammoth and... This thing just won't die, will it? I'm about to run out of ammo.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are there any good guides on how to make Palicos that aren't poo? And tips on getting better Palicos for that weird ball minigame?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Its been a while since i saw an instakill like Glavenus. And damn the dreadqueen rathian sure has a lot of health. I just wish dragonite and hercudrome were easier to get so I can make better armor. Already got weapons set for LR.

Ilonis

Neo Member
Are there any good guides on how to make Palicos that aren't poo? And tips on getting better Palicos for that weird ball minigame?

If you're talking about a Prowler guide that you play as, I've only really seen people talk about the Fighter Boomerang cat people are passing around. Im currently working on putting together my interpretations of "perfect" Prowlers that focus on the other styles.

If you mean Palicos that accompany you into quests, I think the bottom two found in this guide are pretty solid.

As far as the Meownster Hunters mini-game goes, the only thing you really can improve, that I know of, is the size of the circle which is directly related to the level of the cat.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you're talking about a Prowler guide that you play as, I've only really seen people talk about the Fighter Boomerang cat people are passing around. Im currently working on putting together my interpretations of "perfect" Prowlers that focus on the other styles.

If you mean Palicos that accompany you into quests, I think the bottom two found in this guide are pretty solid.

As far as the Meownster Hunters mini-game goes, the only thing you really can improve, that I know of, is the size of the circle which is directly related to the level of the cat.

Thanks - I never did much with my 4U Palicos, so this will be a good primer.

Juraash

So I wound up unlocking the rainbow pigment for armor by doing stuff in the village. Does anyone if you can unlock the ability to pick any color (as opposed to the constantly changing one)? If so would you mind sharing how you got it?

Tom_Cody

Do the palico prowler quests all of the 1 2 and 3 star and it will unlock. Yes its annoying. So much gathering.

prowler quests

Prowler quests in Village.

Alternatively reach HR4 at the hub.
Thanks guys. It only took about an hour to do it.

Zeta Oni

Anybody mind telling me what the requirements to get the urgent quest for HR 3 to appear at the hub are?

I've done almost all of the 1* and 2* quests at this point.

ChrisD

Man screw Randoms sometimes lol

Join this lobby and these two people keep grabbing a quest and cancelling it. They were bickering as one guy wanted to do a Key Quest. We'll call him Alph. The other - call him Baron - finally complied. I don't care at all what I fight, so I just grabbed the Quests as they poured onto the board.

So we do the Key; Rathalos and Rathian on Deserted Island. Another guy also joined btw, we'll just call him 3. Anyways, I remembered this quest on Tri, so I headed for the nest where I knew one of them spawned. I get there and it's Rathalos, at the same time, the rest of my team found Rathian. I figured I'd just fight 'Los alone, as being a Hammer online you don't get to use Superpound often and this gave me the chance. About twenty seconds into the fight the whole squad started pinging to tell me to come to Ian.

I ignored them lol. So already I'm thinking, "They're kind of pushy but whatever, I don't want to look for a new lobby."

We finish it, Ian ended up at the Nest along with Los and it was just like Tri, it's a chaotic fun trying to survive and get shots in. I love the quest so much! :D ...But I digress.

Get back to the lobby and Alph grabs his Urgent against Nanarkakos or whatever the * the thing is called. I picked up the quest happily, as I've been wanting to see what he's like. Baron... Was not so happy. He grabbed his own quest and told Alph to take it. Alph then goes 6-year-old in chat and says "please please please mine first." Baron whines a bit, but ends up grabbing the Urgent with the caveat that Alph helps with the rest of the Keys. Alph agrees and we start the mission.

Fight went by without any issues. Monster design is awesome, and the music is interesting - definitely need headphones next time I fight him though because my XL's speakers suck. The battle itself is super bland. But hey, it means no triple-carting, so we won after about 15 mins. Even in spite of the fact Alph doesn't know how to use Charge Blade and was spamming uncharged A-button attacks because...?

Back to the lobby. Alph sends out his Guild Card to everyone. I look at it while everyone changes their Gar and notice this dude has only ("only") played 40 quests. 16 of which were with Charge Blade! So I'm kind of annoyed at this. Why doesn't he know how his most used weapon works?

Well, the next event showed me why. Baron grabs a "Key Quest" (don't think it is lol) from the board, and 3 and I take it... Alph doesn't. We waited for about two minutes, figuring he was changing Equipment or whatever. Then a message:

Alph: "Go without me"

Uh what?
Baron grumbles and we do just that. Capture Glavenus is the mission. Call it a jerk move, but I take the Trap and Tranqs, because I uh... Forgot my Tranqs. But the reason for taking the Trap is that I don't trust Randoms to use them lol.

I run to Glav's spawn, while Baron and 3 are taking a different path.

Ten seconds into being spotted and starting the fight:
"Alph has left the lobby"
Immediately followed by
"3 has abandoned the quest!"
"Baron has abandoned the quest!"

You sorry little jerks.

I finished the quest anyways, but the whole experience was just like... Really? That was not cool at all.

TL;DR (understandably):

Guy whines to do his Keys
Guy begs to do his Urgent
Guy says he'll help other guy do his Keys
Guy backs out in his word after we finish his Urgent
Other guy ragequits on me on the quest he picked
Also first guy is like super carried and doesn't know how to use his most-used weapon
Said first guy is now in High Rank with barely any experience under his belt

At least I got to fight the Bone Dragon. Even if the fight is bleh Gameplay wise.

Also sorry for mini-wall of text. I'm not even angry or anything, just disappointed a bit at the community experiences I've been having in Randoms this time around.

Yagami_Sama

All just completed all listed HR 5 quests , but is marking Complete in blue, like some quest is missing. By checking, I saw that is missing a quest in which is requested to hunt a
Daimyo Hermitaur,Rathian and Nibelsnarf.

Any idea which is the criteria to someone give this quest ?

cheesekao

All just completed all listed HR 5 quests , but is marking Complete in blue, like some quest is missing. By checking, I saw that is missing a quest in which is requested to hunt a
Daimyo Hermitaur,Rathian and Nibelsnarf.

Any idea which is the criteria to someone give this quest ?
1. Pull the sword out from the stone at the back of your house in Kokoto.
2. Talk to the armory lady in pokke.
3. Do a quest.
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 until she gives you a quest to kill a tigrex.
5. IIRC someone from yukumo will then give you the quest.

spiritfox

3. Do a quest.

Specifically, the step 3 quest is village 6 Tigrex.

Yagami_Sama

3. Do a quest.

I see. Almost two hundreads hours playing this, I never thought that I could go behind my house in Kokoto...

Step one did the trick .

Thanks a lot !

Fistwell

lol randoms.

Yeah, randoms can be pretty terrible and petty. I do think some of them really are little kids that don't know any better or don't have the necessary basic social skills required for cordial online interactions. The story was fairly mild honestly (although I would probably have been annoyed by it too), we've all seen some shit and are at different levels of desensibilisation (*probably not a word) to that kind of crap. I notice less and less the "pls hlp pls" they spam as I mindlessly kick them while asking myself "hmmm, pizza or burgers tonight..."

Wanted to add, I also love double trouble! Double trouble is best quest! Although, it used to be more of a challenge and better for it. And it's not even called double trouble anymore. </3

Also, I love long stories about pubies being little shits online, keep em coming! ;D

ChrisD

I shall circle it back around to no keyboard support. They're just letting their anger of a digital keyboard out on people, that's all.

But yeah, it was super mild. It just stood out because it was the first "incident" to the degree of twenty+ minutes I've had in Gen.

Cool to see another DoubTroub fan! I don't even know how to describe why I like it so much considering I don't actually care for either monster when they're alone. Just something about both at once that's fun! Fighting in their nest definitely makes it stand out, too.

redcrayon

I love the way Monster Hunter constantly challenged my idea of what I can do on my own with the guild quests.

Happily working through 6*, when I ran into 'duel in the volcanic hollow' vs high rank Glavenus. He pretty much killed me in a three hit combo within seconds of finding him, but fortunately, at this point in the game I always pack a max potion so getting carted isn't a disaster. I hadn't managed to paintball him but had max psychoserum so I could find him easily, went back in and started learning the fight.

What had killed me was getting hit by a fireball, thrown into a pile of explosive liquid that detonated as soon as the invulnerability frames ended, followed by a tail crush hitting me again as soon as I stood up. This time I kept in close, wearing him down, but the problem was he moves around a lot which limited how much I could hit him. The clock flagged up 'ten minutes remaining' at the same point as his icon started flashing (I've got capture guru to reduce hunt times when fighting alone) and I finally capped him with five minutes left. Epic scrap.

I know some hunters here are far better at this than I am, but I just like the way I'm seeing incremental improvements both in my own abilities and how prepared I am for when things go wrong.

Duramboros seems very easy in comparison, but I think that's because I've got Constitution+2 on my Seregios kit so I can just block the entirety of his various special attacks,

Just regarding online etiquette, I've only played about 5 hours of online so far (a couple of quests at each rank) and for the most part people seem pretty cool- MH generally had a better than average online crowd. I don't really get frustrated with unskilled players as that was me for a long time, but if someone continually carts or fails to contribute I'll hunt elsewhere. It's true that some people seem to want to be carried through the game, just doing keys, and must be wondering why they haven't learned how to hunt or haven't got decent kit.

I don't really see the point of trying to rush through it so they can say they 'beat' it by seeing the credits, without ever being able to stand on their own two feet as others have carried them all the way. The endgame variants and hypers are there to reward skilled hunters with cool gear and epic battles, that's the real ending, and one day I want to be able to take them down on my own too. It's going to take a while, I've been playing these games for years already, but I'll get there :D

Is there a point when I will scout higher level palicos? I am at village 5* and still getting, at most, level 3s. Also, do they have better skills, etc if you scout them at higher level vs leveling them up from level 1, or does that not matter?

Mupod

lol randoms.

Yeah, randoms can be pretty terrible and petty. I do think some of them really are little kids that don't know any better or don't have the necessary basic social skills required for cordial online interactions. The story was fairly mild honestly (although I would probably have been annoyed by it too), we've all seen some shit and are at different levels of desensibilisation (*probably not a word) to that kind of crap. I notice less and less the "pls hlp pls" they spam as I mindlessly kick them while asking myself "hmmm, pizza or burgers tonight..."

Wanted to add, I also love double trouble! Double trouble is best quest! Although, it used to be more of a challenge and better for it. And it's not even called double trouble anymore. </3

Also, I love long stories about pubies being little shits online, keep em coming! ;D

unless someone is triple carting I don't care if they are unskilled or whatever. I've played with a lot of fumbling new players who are very good now. But I do get annoyed at two things: when people barge into random lobbies above their HR and demand you do their urgents, and when I'm in a lobby with giant wusses who refuse to go without 4.

I don't see a lot of people being shitty but I'm sure that's only because between the 3DS keyboard and chat filter it's not worth doing. But some stuff really does bug me. I don't mind helping people do stuff - hell I love doing that and it's why I'm still putzing around in HR7. But if I'm in a room labelled as a specific monster farm room, or if we're clearly doing keys, I'm going to get a LOT less helpful when someone barges in and starts insisting in spanish about how we have to do his Seregios urgent.
I helped that guy yesterday anyways, but he'd already done a bunch of quests with us and wasn't carting

I dunno, I see a lot of people in this thread post up rooms without passwords and all kinds of riffraff ends up in those. I've yet to really dive into high level deviants/hyper monsters but you certainly don't need 4 people for random guild quests. Duoing with gaf is always more fun than opening up the room to the unwashed masses.

Is there a point when I will scout higher level palicos? I am at village 5* and still getting, at most, level 3s. Also, do they have better skills, etc if you scout them at higher level vs leveling them up from level 1, or does that not matter?

After hitting HR6, all my cats start at 20+. I have no idea how the number of skills are determined and it seems very random even at 20.

Logically I should dismiss all my random level 5-7 cats, but I'm attached to them now. Also I haven't seen this game's cat dismiss cutscene AND I DON'T WANT TO.

After hitting HR6, all my cats start at 20+. I have no idea how the number of skills are determined and it seems very random even at 20.

Logically I should dismiss all my random level 5-7 cats, but I'm attached to them now. Also I haven't seen this game's cat dismiss cutscene AND I DON'T WANT TO.

Haha, thanks. I didn't dismiss any in 4U. I really need to get started on Hub quests this weekend. Finally got my LR Los armor and Narga LS last night, so I'm ready to plow through 5* and get up to HR4.

Beats

I'm doing the quest that gives out EX Rathalos S tickets if anyone wants to join me: 34-3641-0989-6353

It's a quest to hunt Hyper Rathian and Hyper Rathalos. Need to be HR 8 and up though.

edit: done.

Vastag

Just received my copy. I have always have been a LS or hammer player, but I want to try something different with this one. Any recommendation? my only pet peeve is that I don't like drag on battles because I don't do enough damage.

Airan

I just beat Glavenus in Village.

...What the fuck is this cutscene.

[edit]Okay, that was a little left field. But enjoyable nonetheless :D

The CG movies just reinforce my disappointment that they're on the 3DS, what a waste of quality. Hoping they release a DVD or something.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Just received my copy. I have always have been a LS or hammer player, but I want to try something different with this one. Any recommendation? my only pet peeve is that I don't like drag on battles because I don't do enough damage.

Switch Axe or IG! Really fun weapons with good mobility that allow you to pump out shitloads of DPS once you get a good opening. I also recommend Aerial for both so you can get said openings. Also, they just feel fun to play.

andthebeatgoeson

I, somehow, thought this was a different type of MH. So, still 'rush to G rank' is the motto?

I see there is no G rank but I assume rush to high ranks or whatever? I felt slightly disoriented and carted last night on somebody and my shitty great sword kept bouncing. I was all types of off. It's weird. Same type of game but I haven't played 4 in 6 months and I feel like I'm just playing for the 2nd time.

Mupod

I went with SA for my village clear this time around and I definitely didn't lack for damage output. It's maybe a bit too simple now though, as Sword mode is so strong you pretty much are always in it.

I am a gunner main these days and it might be interesting for you to try those out. HBG requires evade extender to be most effective and LBG needs to make multiple guns to exploit elemental weaknesses (and obviously you need to know what elements to use). So maybe pick one up once you're into the mid tier of quests and can experiment (ammo gets pricey too). Shot types need a bit of research but on HBG you can pretty much get by just understanding critical distance and what normal 2/3 and pierce 2/3 do.

But yeah, any weapon can get decent clear times, player skill is the deciding factor. Don't underestimate LBG, SnS, or HH just because some idiots on Gamefaqs cling to their speedrun tier lists for dear life.

I, somehow, thought this was a different type of MH. So, still 'rush to G rank' is the motto?

I see there is no G rank but I assume rush to high ranks or whatever? I felt slightly disoriented and carted last night on somebody and my shitty great sword kept bouncing. I was all types of off. It's weird. Same type of game but I haven't played 4 in 6 months and I feel like I'm just playing for the 2nd time.

That was never the motto. Take your time.

I was a bit rusty in the demo but my muscle memory kicks in fast with MH. The new styles feel like extensions of movesets rather than overhauls.

Anteo

I, somehow, thought this was a different type of MH.

In what way? Please dont say "more action oriented mh", I remember a lot of people saying that on the reveal trailer thread after watching a series of specials attacks that take up to 3 seconds to land without being able to move.

Top Bottom