• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Beats

Anyone else using Heavy Polish with Bowguns? Seems like it boosts your damage quite a bit. Might need to get speed sharpening though because it takes a while and doesn't last that long.

Is it just me or is this topic less active than 4U's was in the same time frame?

Well the first OT for 4U reached 3.4k posts in about 5 days, so it's not just you.

Ultrabum

Anyone else using Heavy Polish with Bowguns? Seems like it boosts your damage quite a bit. Might need to get speed sharpening though because it takes a while and doesn't last that long.

Well the first OT for 4U reached 3.4k posts in about 5 days, so it's not just you.

4U was probably the first time a lot of people got to play monster hunter co-op, I know it was for me. I assume there was more interest because of that?

Comandr

4U was probably the first time a lot of people got to play monster hunter co-op, I know it was for me. I assume there was more interest because of that?

Doesn't help that there's big (somewhat related) news right now regarding NX and everyone is busy freaking out about that right now.

Beats! Thanks for your help earlier. You were so strong! 😍

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Doesn't help that there's big (somewhat related) news right now regarding NX and everyone is busy freaking out about that right now.

Beats! Thanks for your help earlier. You were so strong! ��

Those nx conspirators are some thirsty mofos. Im not inclined to believe anything until i see it.

Comandr

Those nx conspirators are some thirsty mofos. Im not inclined to be believe anything until i see it.

Can't blame them. By the time the NX comes out in ~March, it'll have been almost exactly 6 years that the public has had to suffer with the awful, awful garbage 3DS hardware. I know that I am personally looking forward to playing Monster Hunter at higher than 240p.

Kinsei

Banned
I decided to give it one last go to get a shot at a head and decided to kill all ten Iodromes. I still came away with nothing.

Do you have any idea how boring it is to fight ten Iodromes in a row with no breaks?

If anyone wants to help me rank up my Hellblade Glavenus quest (it's currently at 6), I'd appreciate it. There's a Choco the Godcat in it for you, along with ghunters cat and nyantaleX.

66-8941-9194-3906

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What is this choco cat that everyone keeps mentioning? I know about the ones gaijin hunter was giving away. Did someone else do something similar?

cheesekao

I decided to give it one last go to get a shot at a head and decided to kill all ten Iodromes. I still came away with nothing.

Do you have any idea how boring it is to fight ten Iodromes in a row with no breaks?
You stand a better chance of getting a head if you kill two and complete the quest and keep redoing it.

MrPanic

What is this choco cat that everyone keeps mentioning? I know about the ones gaijin hunter was giving away. Did someone else do something similar?

It's this cat, I only know that some people from gamefaqs were giving it out, which is where I got it from.

aQgVCCH.png

It has a ideal setup of skills and looks pretty cool, so it's quite popular.

So just finished beating nakarkos. Gotta say, I love, love, love his design.
He's a big, dumb bone cuttlefish! That's awesome!
But I could really do without ever fighting him again cause holy hell was that boring. At least the moran and dalamadur fights had a sense of spectacle to em. This was just...eh.

His armor is metal as hell though.

Comandr

If anyone wants to help me rank up my Hellblade Glavenus quest (it's currently at 6), I'd appreciate it. There's a Choco the Godcat in it for you, along with ghunters cat and nyantaleX.

66-8941-9194-3906

I would love to help.

Alas, I haven't even fought hellblade yet. Currently sitting at 433 defense and hoping to get a little higher with hyper glav first.

ChrisD

I'm like 99% certain the (main reason for) lack of posts is due to Discord. Same discussion is still happening, but it's out of the thread.

Just got my Hellblade Glavenus quest to 10, thanks to anyone who helped out! Farming him tomorrow night from the top down (5 X tickets, then 5 IX, and so on).

Comandr

Yeah... It will do though, everything else would come in a month

Anyone doing quests now? I'm interested in starting doing hyper monsters. If not, whatever rooms that are opened

I literally just started a room for hyper monsters. 08-7188-5993-8742

I just wanna do two real quick to open up Hyper Glav and hopefully farm him a bit.

i'm surprised I haven't posted in this thread yet. I grabbed a copy of this for myself and one for my son to go through together. Well he has completely passed me. I am trying to clear the village stuff first then move on to the hub and he went straight to the hub. He is sitting at HR5 and I haven't even started the HR2 keys.

Cerity

Carted for the first time this game thanks to a Zinogre, while wearing astalos gear to boot lol. Figured it was alright because I'd kept the zinogre in one corner of the map area for the first five minutes through constant mounting and staggering. Aerial SA staying broken, probably going to try out aerial or adept LS next.

Shengar

Capcom fix your server pls

Carted for the first time this game thanks to a Zinogre, while wearing astalos gear to boot lol. Figured it was alright because I'd kept the zinogre in one corner of the map area for the first five minutes through constant mounting and staggering. Aerial SA staying broken, probably going to try out aerial or adept LS next.

I got my first cart after 70 hours from Zinogre too. You just can't underestimate that guy it seems

Mupod

was my first cart as well, which is funny because I've never really taken that monster seriously especially when gunning. But he's one of the few monsters where Adept is actually a drawback due to his constant follow-up attacks. I kept getting hit by the second or third paw slam while I was stuck in the Adept reload.

On that subject I'm better at cancelling the reload for the run now, and reorienting myself during the power reload. But it feels like they built in too much stuff around the HBG power reload mechanic and it's all based on specific timing of the X button. That one button can either make your character put their weapon away and run, or crouch down into an immobile stance. And then you throw in the awkward siege mode ammo selection menu and it's a recipe for disaster.

I still don't quite get how you're supposed to go adept dodge - power reload - reorient and aim siege mode at the monster. I can almost never point it in the right direction. I guess I just need to sit down and practice it for a while.

tuffy

I've tried Adept style a few times but I still can't make much use out of it. I usually roll away from attacks too early and miss the Adept dodge altogether, which means I rarely get a chance to make use of the power reload or power run. So I go crawling back to Striker style where I can pile on the Absolute Evasion and Absolute Readiness arts instead. They recharge fast and being able to trigger them at any time whenever they're ready is a better fit for how I do things. Like if the monster starts running out of the room (again), I can forego a slow sheathing animation and just use the evasion art to sheathe and pursue at the same time.

I've tried Adept style a few times but I still can't make much use out of it. I usually roll away from attacks too early and miss the Adept dodge altogether, which means I rarely get a chance to make use of the power reload or power run. So I go crawling back to Striker style where I can pile on the Absolute Evasion and Absolute Readiness arts instead. They recharge fast and being able to trigger them at any time whenever they're ready is a better fit for how I do things. Like if the monster starts running out of the room (again), I can forego a slow sheathing animation and just use the evasion art to sheathe and pursue at the same time.

I run adept bow and its sick!

All those times when i would get caught during an evade are gone lol.

The timing is very generous

Boney

Banned
Also, the Art that loads all your ammo is stupid broken. So is Adept.

I love it

Was about to post this.
Ocho I had no idea you were a Bojack man! Props!

But yeah I've been 99% Discord, just easier to full around with due to the format.

Kinda amazed we took down level 5 charmander variant so easily yesterday after the trouble earlier versions gave us

Kurdel

Banned
Bowguns are really fun, can't wait to play more tonight!

Still HR 1, feel like it's taking forever to finish enough quests to progress :(

tuffy

I run adept bow and its sick!

All those times when i would get caught during an evade are gone lol.

The timing is very generous
I love it when it triggers! But usually it works out like: "Ok, monster's charging at me. I'll just roll to the side and shoot him in the butt as he goes past. Oops, if I hadn't rolled so soon, I might've gotten the power reload." It's really hard to change my instinct and hold off on dodging until the last second in order to hit those evades.

Finally built LR Ratholos armor for AuM and WE. I didn't realize the Thunder and Dragon weakness. Whoops. I'll stick with it for a while and am thinking about subbing in bulldrome S greaves and braces for AuL (I have to look again to make sure I have the points correct on that).

Next up: farming Narga cutwings and getting through 5*.

Mupod

Makes sense - I've been running LBG lately and I get less mileage out of the Adept dodge than HBG. I have to intentionally put myself in harm's way to get power reloads and on some monsters that's not smart. But in the case of LBG I don't really need absolute evade either, and the only art I like is Full House 3.

I've been an evade+2 player for a long time. I don't view it as a crutch, so much as a way to relentlessly stick to the monster. For example in 3U I was mostly a hunting horn user and evade+2 lets you safely use recitals as attacks in more situations than you normally would. It's amazing on sidestepping close range weapons like DB, SA, Lance.

Adept is really ideal for my playstyle and I'm incredibly aggressive with it on both my bowguns and SA. For example I'll happily put myself right in Glavenus' face while he's biting his tail because it's an easy dodge/power reload and I enjoy learning the timings for roars. But I wonder if this is going to make me worse at the game if styles aren't in the next one.

I was originally planning to go Striker HBG because I've never liked siege mode much. But using Adept style with its ability to roll in and out of it has led to me using it more. I still like the 'limiter off' playstyle, between that and the dearth of options for evade extender I've been experimenting with LBG instead. But limiter off pierce HBG is still my favorite thing.

tuffy

Hey tuffy, how's the Furia Sedition this time round?
Surprisingly, it's about the same as it was last time. Its damage is slightly less than the Shagaru HBG once affinity is factored in, its clip sizes about are what it was in 4U with the limiter off, and it still needs a lot of Recoil Down to make use of pierce shots. But that reload-on-roll feature still comes in handy when facing small, nimble and aggressive targets like Kirin or Yian Garuga. So it's still a good - if slightly situational - weapon that didn't get nerfed like its LBG counterpart.

spiritfox

Surprisingly, it's about the same as it was last time. Its damage is slightly less than the Shagaru HBG once affinity is factored in, its clip sizes about are what it was in 4U with the limiter off, and it still needs a lot of Recoil Down to make use of pierce shots. But that reload-on-roll feature still comes in handy when facing small, nimble and aggressive targets like Kirin or Yian Garuga. So it's still a good - if slightly situational - weapon that didn't get nerfed like its LBG counterpart.

That's good. I might make it just to mess around with HBGs again. Too bad Evade Extender is so limited this time round, and I don't like the look of the Narga sets.

Also I find it funny that the LBG got nerfed. It wasn't even the best damage for that weapon.

Mupod

so the Shagaru HBG is what I want for normal 2 spam, and Mizutsune/Daora for pierce? The latter was great in 4U, but I guess I'll need recoil down to use it.

Used my Mizu plate on the LBG and don't regret it. It does horrible, horrible things to Glavenus. Those throat staggers feel great. Already got my Blademaster set made from him, might go ahead and make the gunner one now.

Interesting how they handled armor sets in this one. No negative skills to worry about, and these high rank sets so far don't need annoying as fuck rare materials. Gone are the days of needing two rathalos rubies for a mediocre armor set. I'm guessing these orbs and such come into play once you start making final upgrades of weapons.

Oh yeah, I soloed my urgent to HR7 last night. I looked at it and was like...just Seregios? What's the catch? Then the catch found me.
I swear they made that Jho's AI relentlessly follow you between areas on purpose. I almost ran out of dung bombs.

Top Bottom