• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I, somehow, thought this was a different type of MH. So, still 'rush to G rank' is the motto?

I see there is no G rank but I assume rush to high ranks or whatever? I felt slightly disoriented and carted last night on somebody and my shitty great sword kept bouncing. I was all types of off. It's weird. Same type of game but I haven't played 4 in 6 months and I feel like I'm just playing for the 2nd time.

I think what the MH Vets in here have been saying is that the game is too easy this time around, but I think a lot of it is having that knowledge from the last games carried over.

Don't forget to step outside your comfort zone every so often. For instance, I never played Gunner but decided to roll Bow this time so I can get the cuter version of the Mizu armor. Try new things!

The MH franchise doesn't really change too much in the flow of the game. But like Mu said, don't forget to take your time. There is a lot of content you can miss.

ffs why are there so many shitty design decisions in this game, just spent 40 minutes fighting hyper khezu,hyper blue shell, hyper astaloz and only i got the hunter art!

vareon

Just defeated village Glavenus. Village's fated four are pretty easy, so far the hardest monster I fought is the Nibelsnarf, lol.

It unlocks 6*, then that's it for village? No high rank (in Village)?

Beats

Just defeated village Glavenus. Village's fated four are pretty easy, so far the hardest monster I fought is the Nibelsnarf, lol.

All the "Advanced" quests in 6* are High Rank. I don't remember if you unlock any right away though.

jonjonaug

You unlock high rank village quests by doing high rank hub quests.

vareon

Oh, cool. But it looks like there are different requirements to unlock each Advanced quest...damn, might need to hit the Guild solo.

I, somehow, thought this was a different type of MH. So, still 'rush to G rank' is the motto?

I see there is no G rank but I assume rush to high ranks or whatever? I felt slightly disoriented and carted last night on somebody and my shitty great sword kept bouncing. I was all types of off. It's weird. Same type of game but I haven't played 4 in 6 months and I feel like I'm just playing for the 2nd time.

What's the deal with this? I started using GS in this game for the first time, and I feel like my weapons are constantly getting deflected, even when the sword isn't dull. I should mention I only just made it to 4-star.

KimChi

That ending scene after beating village glavenus was unexpected but so cute :3
Kinda disappointed rainbow pigment unlocks just for beating village glavenus in the story though, was so much harder to get in mh4u iirc.

jorgejjvr

Hey guys any idea how I can get the nargaguga throwdown quest? I hear I have to speak to pokke sweetheart in pokke village, but I don't see anyone.

Do I need to do something or be in a certain part in village?

Thank you

tuffy

Hey guys any idea how I can get the nargaguga throwdown quest? I hear I have to speak to pokke sweetheart in pokke village, but I don't see anyone.

Do I need to do something or be in a certain part in village?

Thank you
Pretty sure that's just a regular 5★ Hub quest. I remember it was just there and didn't need to do anything special on the Village side to unlock.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
That ending scene after beating village glavenus was unexpected but so cute :3
Kinda disappointed rainbow pigment unlocks just for beating village glavenus in the story though, was so much harder to get in mh4u iirc.

Awww but the pigment goes so well with Mizu armor though!

Depends on your gear. Early one is (probably, havent tried myself) very doable. Later ones will be tough. (based on how silver narga scales up)
Still rocking low rank Ceanataur. Might just work on another set for the extra defense. Negate poison would help out a ton though..

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm a bit confused...I have a Hunter Request for some Bulldrome Hide and Machalite Ore. In my log, it says Report and it also tells me to go to the Yukomo Palico Armory. How do I turn that in?

tuffy

I'm a bit confused...I have a Hunter Request for some Bulldrome Hide and Machalite Ore. In my log, it says Report and it also tells me to go to the Yukomo Palico Armory. How do I turn that in?
Try the cat/housekeeper in your house. One of the options is to turn in those item requests.

JP_

Banned
I think what the MH Vets in here have been saying is that the game is too easy this time around, but I think a lot of it is having that knowledge from the last games carried over.

Don't forget to step outside your comfort zone every so often. For instance, I never played Gunner but decided to roll Bow this time so I can get the cuter version of the Mizu armor. Try new things!

The MH franchise doesn't really change too much in the flow of the game. But like Mu said, don't forget to take your time. There is a lot of content you can miss.

Yeah I haven't really played MH since MHFU, but it does feel easier and I'm not sure if it's just because I'm older and play smarter or not. I used to play LS/Lance, now I'm doing Lance/SnS. I thought Lance was making it easy mode, but I do about as well with SnS. I built a bow set last night so we'll see how that goes.

KimChi

Awww but the pigment goes so well with Mizu armor though!

I'm sure it'll go well with a lot of armor :) I just felt it was more rewarding to actually earn it like in mh4u doing all the village quests and beating caravaneer's challenge, still nice to have now.

andthebeatgoeson

In what way? Please dont say "more action oriented mh", I remember a lot of people saying that on the reveal trailer thread after watching a series of specials attacks that take up to 3 seconds to land without being able to move.
I thought it was a spin off that was ignoreable because it was an actiony break away from the formula. But after 200 hours of 4, I didn't look at this since the reveal.

Now the fuckers pulled me back in. Good bye cruel free time

Comandr

What's the deal with this? I started using GS in this game for the first time, and I feel like my weapons are constantly getting deflected, even when the sword isn't dull. I should mention I only just made it to 4-star.

I attest this to the lower sharpness from lack of G rank. It feels like many, many more weapons never get past green sharpness. Though I have noticed that some of my blue weapons and even white bounce on certain parts of stronger monsters at times.

That being said, even when you bounce, you still do full damage. You just can't combo. So in theory you shouldn't have a problem with charging on GS for damage.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Just started.
Coming off of a lengthy time sink in Monster Hunter 4 and being relegated to the harvest missions is torture. I really don't know why the series has these. I get you need to learn to forage for the items, but theres just so many of them, coupled with the little monsters too... sigh, gonna be awhile before I get into the real meat of the game. Im forcing myself to do these which isn't a good start to any game, but I know I'll be loving it once I hit the Great Maccao.

Boney

Banned
Just started.
Coming off of a lengthy time sink in Monster Hunter 4 and being relegated to the harvest missions is torture. I really don't know why the series has these. I get you need to learn to forage for the items, but theres just so many of them, coupled with the little monsters too... sigh, gonna be awhile before I get into the real meat of the game. Im forcing myself to do these which isn't a good start to any game, but I know I'll be loving it once I hit the Great Maccao.
You still get to familiarize yourself with the maps at least. But what they should be doing is mixing those with hunting small monsters in the same quest but they need to revamp how small enemies behave and attack. They're just annoying and those quests are even more time consuming and boring than gathering quests.

I attest this to the lower sharpness from lack of G rank. It feels like many, many more weapons never get past green sharpness. Though I have noticed that some of my blue weapons and even white bounce on certain parts of stronger monsters at times.

That being said, even when you bounce, you still do full damage. You just can't combo. So in theory you shouldn't have a problem with charging on GS for damage.
Charged attacks are also less likely to bounce. Level 3 might even be impossible to bounce but I'm not sure. There's a lot of GS designed with little sharpness so you make your charge hits counts for the damage multiplier and that can also work when in low sharpness that way.
Fighting in arena with a blunt GS is great.

tuffy

Thing is, when I look at my online guild quests I don't see it there
The quest itself might just be a request from somebody as you first guessed. Any yellow speech balloons in any of the Villages at all? I do remember talking to a ton of different people once I opened up the next rank, but I'm sure I didn't need to do a quest to unlock Narga because I started it once I'd gotten the ores I needed at that tier.

jorgejjvr

The quest itself might just be a request from somebody as you first guessed. Any yellow speech balloons in any of the Villages at all? I do remember talking to a ton of different people once I opened up the next rank, but I'm sure I didn't need to do a quest to unlock Narga because I started it once I'd gotten the ores I needed at that tier.

I tried that, no yellow speech.

I talked to everyone in every village.

Thats why I think I might need to get further in my Village, im only Villa 4* i think.

Maybe going forward will creats more of those speeches and hence provide the quest

Pejo

Man, in every game with a Seregios weapon, I always get one and then can't give it up. The higher than usual sharpness, sharpener while rolling, good raw and a bit of affinity is just too good to go back to not having it all in one weapon. This is similar to how I used to feel about Brachy weapons. There's before it's available, and after it's available with not much else until endgame.

On the other hand, it's been nice not having to level kinsects multiple times now that I'm using IG.

On a completely unrelated note, anybody got a good guide on SnS Stylish bombing? It sounds really fun and I'm going to go back and clear village entirely with SnS, so I'd like to know all my options.

tuffy

I tried that, no yellow speech.

I talked to everyone in every village.

Thats why I think I might need to get further in my Village, im only Villa 4* i think.

Maybe going forward will creats more of those speeches and hence provide the quest
It's worth a shot. There are a couple of 4★ Nargacuga Village quests which might help. But it's weird since neither Kiranico nor the Wiki doesn't list any unlock requirements for the Hub one. I'll have to check my 3DS in a few hours when I get home to see if it might've been part of some request chain.

Anteo

I thought it was a spin off that was ignoreable because it was an actiony break away from the formula. But after 200 hours of 4, I didn't look at this since the reveal.

Now the fuckers pulled me back in. Good bye cruel free time

But that's the thing, I watched the reveal and all I saw is "every weapon is the great sword now!", and for some reason people were calling that "more action oriented" when all I saw was "more slow actions for every weapon"
If you watch the trailer again, you will see that all of the big attacks are used against monsters that are standing still for a few seconds, or by doing a gotcha bitch level of insane read against a monsters that are charging against you

Juraash

Well my Monster Hunter Cross Hunting Gear (fancy name for a grip) arrived this morning. Looking forward to picking it up after work and trying it. Also began my quest through some soloing of hub today. Figured I could at least knock out some key quests at break/lunch and boost my HR a bit.

Man, I almost burned myself out on this game by hunting Snowbaron. The whole deviant system is so grating. Doesn't help that I've primarily had to resort to randoms for grouping.

Moving on...

Anyone down for HR6 Keys?

26-5129-0972-2491

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Yeah I haven't really played MH since MHFU, but it does feel easier and I'm not sure if it's just because I'm older and play smarter or not. I used to play LS/Lance, now I'm doing Lance/SnS. I thought Lance was making it easy mode, but I do about as well with SnS. I built a bow set last night so we'll see how that goes.

Lance SnS is a great duo. All of Lance's bad matchups are covered by SnS, so your game should probably be smooth sailing.

My suggestion would be to try something really different, like Hammer or Charge Blade. That'll keep things fresh if you're getting bored. Bow is a great start too since it's a totally different play style but is still easy to pick up.

ChrisD

Lance SnS is a great duo. All of Lance's bad matchups are covered by SnS, so your game should probably be smooth sailing.

My suggestion would be to try something really different, like Hammer or Charge Blade. That'll keep things fresh if you're getting bored. Bow is a great start too since it's a totally different play style but is still easy to pick up.

Mandatory "Definitely try Hammer, it's the funnest weapon" from me to back up this post

blackflag

Man, I almost burned myself out on this game by hunting Snowbaron. The whole deviant system is so grating. Doesn't help that I've primarily had to resort to randoms for grouping.

Moving on...

Anyone down for HR6 Keys?

26-5129-0972-2491

how many times did it take to get that full set?

how many times did it take to get that full set?

To first make the set took me about four or five hunts, which really isn't bad at all considering. However, upgrading the set to where I have it now (Level 8) took around thirty hunts excluding the initial hunts to craft the set. Theoretically, I'd only have to do the hunt thirty times to max out the set fully, but when you factor in randoms carting, wasting the only trap in an on-site-items only quest, or just the time it takes to get a decent group together in the first place, it gets harder and harder and harder to upgrade the damn thing.

So basically, it takes a while, lol. Snowbaron is pretty fun to fight though, considering.

redcrayon

Man, in every game with a Seregios weapon, I always get one and then can't give it up. The higher than usual sharpness, sharpener while rolling, good raw and a bit of affinity is just too good to go back to not having it all in one weapon. This is similar to how I used to feel about Brachy weapons. There's before it's available, and after it's available with not much else until endgame.

On the other hand, it's been nice not having to level kinsects multiple times now that I'm using IG.

On a completely unrelated note, anybody got a good guide on SnS Stylish bombing? It sounds really fun and I'm going to go back and clear village entirely with SnS, so I'd like to know all my options.
I'm the same. My Harmah lance is only rare 3 but I'm choosing it over several rare 4 and 5 weapons, it's just that good.

Just started.

It'll be over sooner than you think. You need to be following a key quest guide at the start.

Voror

Finally started playing today. Would it be wise to take play as a Gatherer for the early missions to better collect everything needed?

Got 1 shotted with 500 defense+ , whilst needing 1 more hit to kill!
WVW69jdD6eACDITpf-

OK GAF. I'm in vacations, the kids are asleep, wife has her monthly things, I'm a little drunk. So, Who want to help a HR newbie? Still in LR armor set?

Room is up, 57 2734 6550 6138

I'll be waiting drinking wine. Yay.

Top Bottom