• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I got burned out on the Wii version, but I must admit I have been interested enough to follow this game's updates. The fact that there are so many "new" monsters in this one (for someone who started Monster Hunter with Tri) might make it worth revisiting again.

Bros before Jhos!

Grokbu

Hrm, I'm considering waiting with Tri until I get a confirmation on an NA version of Tri G. It's probably going to get localized sooner or later though.

Extremely slick OP btw.

EDIT. Oh, yeah. I want online too. :<

Huh so the demo is already up? Maybe I will download it tonight if I can drag myself away from my Hori stick and Gundam EXTREEEEMEE

Can't wait to see all the ads all over the place. :D

Tuck

May pick this up if it comes to the US. But I've never played Monster hunter before, and I don't really have any idea how it plays. But it looks good. Will probably watch some videos online just to see.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Just played demo at lunchtime in store - how hot? So hot.

Looks and plays fantastic, really does pop in 3D. Seems to have a darker moodier palette?

Just played demo at lunchtime in store - how hot? So hot.

Looks and plays fantastic, really does pop in 3D. Seems to have a darker moodier palette?

Dammit, I now get to weep in depression again when Capcom doesn't release this in the West... Nintendo needs to make it happen!!!

Luigiv

Dammit, I now get to weep in depression again when Capcom doesn't release this in the West... Nintendo needs to make it happen!!!

It will happen, I guarantee it. Capcom typically doesn't announce localisations for Monster Hunter games until after they release in Japan so just be patient.

I'll most likely never play this game but I just wanted to add to the people already saying how good the OT was.

This is how you make one, don't make posts and posts of crap. This is small, easily tells you all the interesting bits that is new. If you still want more info, check out the videos.

Just so everyone knows, for this (and I'm assuming all the other 3DS) demos that are limited to 30 plays, this means you are limited to LAUNCHING the app 30 times. If you stay in-demo, you can play as many times as you want and it will still only count as one "play".

Kinda seems like it is even MORE silly to have the count at all.

Also, notes from the Famitsu review!

-Score 10, 10, 9, 9
-No negatives were stated in any reviews
-Clear-time listed at 150 hours
-All reviewers gave very high praise for being able to customize the bottom screen (as well as the target camera button)
-Of the two reviewers who gave it a 9, one was a woman (maybe her first MH) and she said it is very accommodating for beginners. The other guy who gave it a 9 said that it feels a bit like a version up of Tri on the Wii, but you should go into it thinking of it as a whole new game

Boney

Banned
Just so everyone knows, for this (and I'm assuming all the other 3DS) demos that are limited to 30 plays, this means you are limited to LAUNCHING the app 30 times. If you stay in-demo, you can play as many times as you want and it will still only count as one "play".

The demos end and prompt you to go to the main menu and restart though right?

The demos end and prompt you to go to the main menu and restart though right?

From the Japanese site I'm taking the info from, for MH at least, it sounds like this isn't the case and that you can play it over and over without going back to the main menu.

Emitan

I'm buying Tri in January and it'll be my first real foray into Mon Hun. Hope this comes out here with online! If I was a betting man, I'd bet my account that Mon Hun 4 is coming here with online, but I don't bet.

Luigiv

Indeed but Nintendo is paranoid that people will just download the demo, play it over and over and never buy the actual game. This is of course bullshit; I would imagine such people are statistically irrelevant; but I'll take play limits over availability limits.

john tv

Can't get to the demo because the eShop has been down all day. :/ Some people have been getting it, tho, so I think it's just getting hammered...

Ydahs

Can't get to the demo because the eShop has been down all day. :/ Some people have been getting it, tho, so I think it's just getting hammered...

The eShop in Australia and the UK went up briefly (~30 minutes), then down again. Maybe they got it in that brief uptime (if it also went up in Japan)?

Alrus

Indeed but Nintendo is paranoid that people will just download the demo, play it over and over and never buy the actual game. This is of course bullshit; I would imagine such people are statistically irrelevant; but I'll take play limits over availability limits.

I thought this was not Nintendo's decision, as they didn't mandate a limit. They just gave the option to publishers...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Why do I want to play this game more than the other MH titles?

because it's the latest iteration?

Of the two reviewers who gave it a 9, one was a woman (maybe her first MH)

hahaha... .woooooah there. A TON of Japanese women play MH. I don't think we can pin someon giving it a 9 on this.

Luigiv

I thought this was not Nintendo's decision, as they didn't mandate a limit. They just gave the option to publishers...

Whether it's mandatory or not is irrelevant. Why do think Nintendo would even offer the option in the first place?

“I question whether or not demos are effective,” said Konno, adding that demos on 3DS would be “technically feasible” but that he isn’t sure they motivate players to buy.

“There are cases where people play a demo game and they’re satisfied with that play experience and they don’t buy the game,” he said. “There are also times when they play a demo and think, ‘Wow, this is great, I’m going to buy this when I have the chance.’ So whether or not it’s an effective use of resources, I’m not sure.”

source

Erethian

Whether it's mandatory or not is irrelevant. Why do think Nintendo would even offer the option in the first place?

Iwata mentioned it as being an option.

Edit: Wait, misread your post. Still I figure part of the reason is there are publishers who feel the same way Konno does.

Vinci

Danish
Being able to customize the bottom screen is a stroke of brilliance. Was watching that demonstration video and was just taken aback at how wisely they integrated it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Still no demo impressions ? I am disappointed J-Gaf....

MightyKAC

- Game looks pretty and performs well both in and out of 3D but I kept it off after the first 5 mins as it only served as a distraction when I wasn't viewing it at the right angle. But as far as I could tell the framerate was rock solid in both modes. And it overall was a very noticeable improvement over the Wii and PSP versions both visually and the way it handled.

- The controls were really hard to for me to get a grip on. It's gonna take me a while to get used to playing this on the 3DS as I have some pretty big hands and the system has a lot less "grip" real estate than I'm used to coming from the PSP and CController of the Wii.

- The implementation of the second screen seems pretty well thought out with regards to your inventory layout and the map placement and other options available. My problem with it is it forces you to take your eyes off the action by looking at the other screen in critical moments so you can grab and use things that you need which I did not like. Also this is a nitpick from an "oldschool" psp Monster Hunter but I REALLY miss the larger screen area that the PSP version had when I played this, which is odd because I never have that problem with any other games I play on my 3DS but this one.

- Messed around with the lock on system for all of 3 seconds and never touched again afterwards.

Is it still monster hunter? Oh yeah. But it won't feel like it for me until I get used to the way this version handles. And like I said, if this had online and I could play it with gaffers or my bros back home I'd be all over it. But as it stands right now I'm still holding off till I hear news about the US version of this.

Luigiv

- Game looks pretty and performs well both in and out of 3D but I kept it off after the first 5 mins as it only served as a distraction when I wasn't viewing it at the right angle. But as far as I could tell the framerate was rock solid in both modes. And it overall was a very noticeable improvement over the Wii and PSP versions both visually and the way it handled.

- The controls were really hard to for me to get a grip on. It's gonna take me a while to get used to playing this on the 3DS as I have some pretty big hands and the system has a lot less "grip" real estate than I'm used to coming from the PSP and CController of the Wii.

- The implementation of the second screen seems pretty well thought out with regards to your inventory layout and the map placement and other options available. My problem with it is it forces you to take your eyes off the action by looking at the other screen in critical moments so you can grab and use things that you need which I did not like. Also this is a nitpick from an "oldschool" psp Monster Hunter but I REALLY miss the larger screen area that the PSP version had when I played this, which is odd because I never have that problem with any other games I play on my 3DS but this one.

- Messed around with the lock on system for all of 3 seconds and never touched again afterwards.

Is it still monster hunter? Oh yeah. But it won't feel like it for me until I get used to the way this version handles. And like I said, if this had online and I could play it with gaffers or my bros back home I'd be all over it. But as it stands right now I'm still holding off till I hear news about the US version of this.

In the actual game the touch screen will be customisable. You can pick and choose what goes on the bottom screen and what stays up top so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Top Bottom