• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

I played for about 30 minutes and I'm finding that I had an easier time with the claw than I am with using the touch screen to control the camera. I don't know if part of that is my having gotten used to the claw though.

I just didn't like taking my finger off the buttons so I could adjust the camera. Things could change as I spend more time with it, but so far it definitely feels... odd.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I played for about 30 minutes and I'm finding that I had an easier time with the claw than I am with using the touch screen to control the camera. I don't know if part of that is my having gotten used to the claw though.

I just didn't like taking my finger off the buttons so I could adjust the camera. Things could change as I spend more time with it, but so far it definitely feels... odd.

It's not much diff from wiimote controls. Which ended up being my preferred control style of choice.

squall23

I've been hyped about the touchscreen customization for so long now. At this point, I'm at a total standstill if I had to choose a separate touchscreen or a 2nd joystick as a preferential controller for MH.

Of course I probably won't have to choose if I decide to play with the extra slider.

MightyKAC

The more I play this game the more I wish the 3DS's analog stick had some kind of grip to it. My thumbs keep sliding it off which is another thing that only happens when I'm playing this game :b

Peru

I'll get the analogue add-on for sure, even if the touch controls are great.

Has anybody tried copying the demo from a JPN 3DS to a US or EU one to see if it works? (I'm fully expecting it to not work, but you never know!)

Edit: Wait a sec, is the touch screen/d-pad size not customisable in the demo?

because it's the latest iteration?

hahaha... .woooooah there. A TON of Japanese women play MH. I don't think we can pin someon giving it a 9 on this.

Was simply translating what I read on a BBS based on the actual review itself, and not giving my opinion! You aren't the only one with a wife to play MH with, good sir ;)

Bullza2o

Nice OP. I really hope this game comes to NA. I've been trying to avoid getting MH Tri Wii so I can fully enjoy the [superior?] 3DS version.

sprsk

Loving what they did to urukususu. New snowball move is unblockable and is really hard to dodge as a lancer. I actually died fighting him. This kind of difficulty is what I missed in 3rd.

Because of the lighting and shaders he also just looks cooler in general.

Screens just Don't do the game justice.

Tenbatsu

Loving what they did to urukususu. New snowball move is unblockable and is really hard to dodge as a lancer. I actually died fighting him. This kind of difficulty is what I missed in 3rd.

Because of the lighting and shaders he also just looks cooler in general.

Screens just Don't do the game justice.
I will hold you to that! :p

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd imagine it being a pain in the ass to avoid as a lancer with only step-back.

Just to give the flip side - it was straight forward as a great sword but you obviously arent defensively hamstrung dodge wise

still one of the most boring monsters in the game, though was happy to see markedly less sliding.

Played for twenty minutes, off to pick up the wife. Impressions:

-graphics are amazing. Lighting and shaders make it look great. And I could be crazy, but I swear the game runs at 60fps... Seemed to be more frames of animation.
-no touch screen customization in the demo, boo
-no problems without frankenstick until I hopped in the water. Oh god, so hard to fight the new boss strategically in the water with only one stick... Soo bad. The new camera lock helps, but it just sets you up better to make a b-line at the enemy than help you play well

Wazzim

Banned
Nice OP, hoping for online play or some substitute when released it the west (if it even comes here).

Played for twenty minutes, off to pick up the wife. Impressions:

-graphics are amazing. Lighting and shaders make it look great. And I could be crazy, but I swear the game runs at 60fps... Seemed to be more frames of animation.
-no touch screen customization in the demo, boo
-no problems without frankenstick until I hopped in the water. Oh god, so hard to fight the new boss strategically in the water with only one stick... Soo bad. The new camera lock helps, but it just sets you up better to make a b-line at the enemy than help you play well

Isn't that with most 3DS games? 60FPS in 2D mode and 30FPS in 3D mode.

Nice OP, hoping for online play or some substitute when released it the west (if it even comes here).

Oh really? That's cool, didn't know it worked exactly like that. I have decided my eyes are broken and just can't see 3D, so at least I get my games in 60 frames.

Forgot to add to previous post, but another positive is that the loading times when zoning are better. For as much zoning as you do in MH, this is nice.

Oh really? That's cool, didn't know it worked exactly like that. I have decided my eyes are broken and just can't see 3D, so at least I get my games in 60 frames.

Forgot to add to previous post, but another positive is that the loading times when zoning are better. For as much zoning as you do in MH, this is nice.

It doesn't work like that at all. He's referring to Super Street Fighter 3D and DOA Dimensions. Most games are the same framerate in both 2D and 3D (and I'm certain that MH3G also runs at 30FPS. Same framerate as the Wii game. I haven't seen the MH3G in person, but I'd eat my hat if it's running in 60FPS!)

You're probably just used to the animations on the PSP games. The Wii/3DS games are a huge step up in that regard!

ToD_

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the only games that do 60FPS in 2D as opposed to 30fps in 3D so far are SSFIV and DOA:Dimensions.

Edit: Totally beaten.

MightyKAC

After playing it I'm more inclined to agree with Twentytwo. Not only is there no discernible frame drop between 2d and 3d mode the game looks like it's running at 60fps or at least damn close to it in both modes. Now I don't have the best eye for this stuff and this IS only a demo but that's how it looks to me.

After playing it I'm more inclined to agree with Twentytwo. Not only is there no discernible frame drop between 2d and 3d mode the game looks like it's running at 60fps or at least damn close to it in both modes. Now I don't have the best eye for this stuff and this IS only a demo but that's how it looks to me.

I seriously doubt that. That would be a technical miracle if it was 60FPS. Run it by the Wii version (even a decent quality video of it would do) and you should see the difference immediately if that's the case.

DCharlie

I can't see a frame drop between the two - maybe an illusion but is this really looking like it does AND running in 60fps in 3d? :wibble: it certainly feels/looks like it is. All hail Capcom/3DS :O

Anyways, tried Urcusis again in the comfort of my own sofa

* that new attack
-- real easy to roll out of the way of and leaves him WAY too open and abusable. Able to get a charged from unsheath attack in every time.

* slide down
-- doesn't slide around nearly half as much as in the PSP version which is a good thing, but does seem to neuter some of the threat.

* shut up chacha
-- i'm sure i can, but i need to switch off those chatter boxes.

* am i going mad, textures?
-- can someone else flick between 2D and 3D. The texture quality seems to go UP in 3D mode?! Or am i losing my mind

* smooth butter
-- frame rate is so so so smooth. For smoother hunting.

ToD_

Over the years I've grown pretty skeptical about reports on frame rates. I've learned it's best to wait for me to get my own hands on it, see an actual 60fps video of the game or have some of our more picky members get their hands on it. No offense!

MightyKAC

I seriously doubt that. That would be a technical miracle if it was 60FPS. Run it by the Wii version (even a decent quality video of it would do) and you should see the difference immediately if that's the case.

I'm playing it side by side the Wii and the PSP versions, and no it's not at 60 but I think the difference is when there's a ton of stuff happening at once it maintains framerate better than the other versions. But again that's a guess.

Like I said I don't have the best eye for this but I will say it runs a bit more smoothly than previous versions in or out of 3d.

DCharlie

i'm usually absolutely fine with telling frame rate, and if it's not 60fps (2d) then i'm losing it! lol.

3D - i'm sure it's some trickery pokery or illussion but it certainly looks smooth enough.... gah.

Either way - it's impressive looking! :D

Again - i might also be losing my mind. Textures look better in 3D but things look jaggier. I'm wondering if some FSAA is being applied in 2D mode?

Hell - maybe it just is the 3DS can do this? Be nice if it can! Let me take a vid :)

Wazzim

Banned
It doesn't work like that at all. He's referring to Super Street Fighter 3D and DOA Dimensions. Most games are the same framerate in both 2D and 3D (and I'm certain that MH3G also runs at 30FPS. Same framerate as the Wii game. I haven't seen the MH3G in person, but I'd eat my hat if it's running in 60FPS!)
Sorry, I really thought most 3DS games worked like that. ^.^"

@DCharlie You sure it's not some kind of 'smoothing' used? Slight motion blur can make a game look very smooth.

MightyKAC

i'm usually absolutely fine with telling frame rate, and if it's not 60fps (2d) then i'm losing it! lol.

3D - i'm sure it's some trickery pokery or illussion but it certainly looks smooth enough.... gah.

Either way - it's impressive looking! :D

Again - i might also be losing my mind. Textures look better in 3D but things look jaggier. I'm wondering if some FSAA is being applied in 2D mode?

Hell - maybe it just is the 3DS can do this? Be nice if it can! Let me take a vid :)

I'd love to see a Digital Foundry style break down of this game in comparison to others just to get the raw facts and data on it.

But yeah, frame counting aside the game looks and moves super smooth. Now I really wish I could see it running in multi-player.

sprsk

I did get some framerate drops in my fight with Voldemort, usually when he was really close to me underwater (like all up in my camera and shit).

Framerate does seem improved over the PSP version though, and pretty much jaggiless in 2D mode. 3D mode has some jagginess, but I am kind of with Dcharlie in that I just like the textures in 3D mode better.

fates

This game is sounding amazing.

But dammit I just can't bring myself to get excited. I just know Capcom's going to burn us ._.

DCharlie

looking at that video - it definitely looks like 30fps, but i swear - it runs much better than that and looks better. this doesn't look much beyond the PSP version but the reality is different.

I'm convinced it's 60 - i suspect i'm being deceived.

the video i took is blurry - but looks smoother than this.

ugoo18

I don't think you can copy Wii save files that are for games with online play.

Not the entire save or else won't that mean that you could end up having end game (At least in MHTri anyway) weapons/armor at the start or close to it in TriG. Maybe something similar to what Nintendo did with Mii's between the Wii and 3DS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eh, I hope someone able to compare different frame rates obtains to make us know if MH3G is really 60fps in 3D XD

ugoo18

looking at that video - it definitely looks like 30fps, but i swear - it runs much better than that and looks better. this doesn't look much beyond the PSP version but the reality is different.

I'm convinced it's 60 - i suspect i'm being deceived.

the video i took is blurry - but looks smoother than this.

That's one thing i always hated, you can't properly show how good a game looks unless it is on the 3DS itself. SFIV looked absolutely terrible from just screenshots yet when i got the game and started it up, it looked gorgeous. I find that the same thing with all my other 3DS games.

I can see a lot of MH vets being turned off at first, since they're used to playing in an awkward way already and this game doesn't allow that same control method. It's not like they learned and mastered the claw control method from the start.

one of the Tri-G demo gameplay video
the quality of the video is very good
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16369427
(if no NicoNico account) http://gamenyarth.blog67.fc2.com/blog-entry-4926.html?id=sm16369427&w=540&h=426

It's pointless. These videos are encoded at 30FPS so you wouldn't be able to tell the game's framerate from these vids anyway.

For those who have the demo, try comparing MH3G to a video of MH3 Wii (like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4eo7nbNT8&feature=relmfu)

You should be able to tell the difference immediately if it does run at 60FPS on 3DS!

Even if it does run at 30FPS, it'll still be running much smoother than the PSP version! (The Wii game also ran at a solid 30FPS)

MightyKAC

I can see a lot of MH vets being turned off at first, since they're used to playing in an awkward way already and this game doesn't allow that same control method. It's not like they learned and mastered the claw control method from the start.

The controls were rough at first but I was able to handle it after a while *on land*. In the water it was REALLY tough to move about (swimming up and down specifically) without that second analog.

DCharlie

looks smoother than that vid - right, let me try again , not sure why my camera is being a massive cock.

Set to 720p/60fps - let me grab a clip.

MightyKAC

It's pointless. These videos are encoded at 30FPS so you wouldn't be able to tell the game's framerate from these vids anyway.

For those who have the demo, try comparing MH3G to a video of MH3 Wii (like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4eo7nbNT8&feature=relmfu)

You should be able to tell the difference immediately if it does run at 60FPS on 3DS!

Even if it does run at 30FPS, it'll still be running much smoother than the PSP version! (The Wii game also ran at a solid 30FPS)

The demo run noticeably smoother than that without a doubt.

The demo run noticeably smoother than that without a doubt.

Then it may well be 60FPS! (I'd be really shocked if that's the case!)

Is it just as smooth in 3D as it is in 2D? I can't believe that they got it running at 60FPS (if it does do 3D 60FPS, than it is effectively running a better looking version of the Wii game at 4x the framerate of the Wii game! Ultimate proof that the 3DS is more powerful than the Wii if this is true)

DCharlie said:
looks smoother than that vid - right, let me try again , not sure why my camera is being a massive cock.

Set to 720p/60fps - let me grab a clip.

Be sure to actually upload it in 60FPS!

I've seriously played more MonHun than I care to admit in the last decade (every version, including Frontier), and I swear that this is the smoothest MH has ever been. I'm pretty sure it is running at 60FPS, and even if it isn't, whatever it is doing, I like it a lot.

MightyKAC

Then it may well be 60FPS! (I'd be really shocked if that's the case!)

Is it just as smooth in 3D as it is in 2D? I can't believe that they got it running at 60FPS (if it does do 3D 60FPS, than it is effectively running a better looking version of the Wii game at 4x the framerate of the Wii game!)

As a test I stood in the middle of the largest zone in the Ice map and just rotated the camera continuously while sliding between 2d and 3d back and forth and I could NOT see a drop in framerate what so ever.

Top Bottom