• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster-taming confirmed for Dragon Quest VIII

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/27/news_6108897.html

Players can pit monsters against enemy monsters in upcoming RPG.

TOKYO--In previous GameSpot coverage of the Tokyo Game Show, it was reported that one of the promotional Dragon Quest VIII trailers running at Square Enix's booth showed footage of monsters fighting against other monsters. Now, thanks to the latest issue of Weekly Jump magazine, we know that the game will in fact have such a "taming system." Similar to the Super Famicom title Dragon Quest V, enemies that you defeat will sometimes ask you if they may join your party.

Although additional details are not known, Dragon Quest VIII will thus enable the player to call out a team of monsters and make them fight in battles. There will also be a Coliseum somewhere in the game, where your team of monsters can fight against other teams.

Dragon Quest VIII is slated for release in Japan on November 27 at the price of 9,240 yen ($83).

Meier

What's crazy, is that even at that insane price point, the game will sell 3-4 million copies easily. Square can more or less charge whatever they want for it. As for the news itself -- sounds good to me.. can't wait for this game. :D

I personally dislike monster taming-I want to play as humans or something resembling humans-but it is good to hear that the game is both including aspects of older games that worked and newer elements (to Dragon Quest at least) like the skill tree. Thankfully, the game is more than just the great graphics.

Meier said:
What's crazy, is that even at that insane price point, the game will sell 3-4 million copies easily. Square can more or less charge whatever they want for it. As for the news itself -- sounds good to me.. can't wait for this game. :D

How much of this is the conversion rates between yen & dollars, vs how much SE is squeezing people for a product they know is going to sell buttloads. That is, what's the current full-retail game price?

Oxymoron

sonycowboy said:
How much of this is the conversion rates between yen & dollars, vs how much SE is squeezing people for a product they know is going to sell buttloads. That is, what's the current full-retail game price?
Looking through amazon.co.jp, the full price for most games non GH games seems to be between 4000¥ and 5000¥.
So Squenix is squeezing a hell of a lot.

jiggle

So maybe the monsters that are visible on the overworld are the ones you can tame, and not the ones from the random battles?

I never cared for using monsters either. Especially when there are so many of them. I rather use characters that are part of the storyline.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Oxymoron said:
Looking through amazon.co.jp, the full price for most games non GH games seems to be between 4000¥ and 5000¥.
So Squenix is squeezing a hell of a lot.
Actually the upper limit is more like 6500 yen, which gets closer to 7000 with tax. I think all of Sega's new products are 7100 with tax.

Meier

sonycowboy said:

Square-Enix typically charges about 20 bucks more than the average price on their major PS2 games (Koei usually charges a major premium as well).

I think Final Fantasy X-2 was like... upwards of 8000 yen on launch day. So this is even MORE of a ripoff, but of course the difference is that DQVIII might actually be playable.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I wonder if this game is actually going to be better than DQ V Remake for the PS2. After looking at the clips at IGN, it looks like it is the absolute best DQ game in the franchise.

Top Bottom