• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monument Valley iOS/Android |OT| Forgotten Shores expansion now out!

Looks indie as fuck

Seriously though, this looks gorgeous, I'm assuming from the videos that the gameplay is just moving sections of the playfield so your character can advance? I mean, it certainly looks more interesting than any phone game I've seen aside from some shmups.

ustwo-Dan

Neo Member
Honestly I feel the game would be lacking such an important aspect if it was on PC. The art style, the level design, and the ability to push and pull and prod all go hand and hand in making the experience so compelling and cohesive. Without that tactile nature of the touchscreen, I think the game would only be a shadow of what it is now.

This guy knows his stuff. There is absolutely no doubt that we'd love to do a PC version, but it really is a question of how we can make this work without losing any of the original experience. If we're going to bring it to PC we want to do it in a way that suits the platform and audience, not a simple port job.

Jimrpg

What I love about the game is the really amazing atmosphere as a result of the art style and music. The puzzles are great. I'm up to chapter 5 now - game seems a bit short. The other thing I really like is that this game works best on an iPad, because its easy to experiment and try different moves, I feel like you would lose a little of that with mouse control.

Also I'm glad its priced at $4 ($5 for aussies).While as a consumer its a little pricier than other games, it looks premium enough to shell out $4 for. I feel games are now either free or $10 or more which is really annoying as I don't really like iAP or want to shell out so much at once.

For those with an Android device, we're hoping to have that version released for about four weeks from now btw, not long!
Thanks for providing an ETA. I've marked my calendar. :)

Quick question for Android devices.. will this work OK with phones or is it intended to be played on tablets? I have a Galaxy SIII. TIA

Skipped around your video for a bit to get a better idea of how it plays without trying to spoil too many puzzles. Looks interesting enough, seems really simple though. I'd prefer the absence of a story though, it kinda derails the presentation into coming across like someone's tumblr. But yeah, I don't think I'd feel bad throwing $4 at this at all when it comes to Android.

ustwo-Dan

Neo Member
Skipped around your video for a bit to get a better idea of how it plays without trying to spoil too many puzzles. Looks interesting enough, seems really simple though. I'd prefer the absence of a story though, it kinda derails the presentation into coming across like someone's tumblr. But yeah, I don't think I'd feel bad throwing $4 at this at all when it comes to Android.

Thanks for the support! I guess the thing with the story is that some feel it's superfluous and others want us to go deeper. For that reason we tried to go for a good middle ground that isn't too intrusive but is there if you want to dive in.

Thanks for the support! I guess the thing with the story is that some feel it's superfluous and others want us to go deeper. For that reason we tried to go for a good middle ground that isn't too intrusive but is there if you want to dive in.

Fair enough, and what's here seems unintrusive at least, it's just not my cup of tea. But yeah, I think you guys have a good price point and an interesting offering here for bringing aboard people like me who generally avoid mobile almost as a rule, so best of luck to you guys.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey ustwo-Dan. Am I wrong in thinking the game is supposed to sync between devices? Any way to fix that? I really want to continue on my phone.

ustwo-Dan

Neo Member
Hey ustwo-Dan. Am I wrong in thinking the game is supposed to sync between devices? Any way to fix that? I really want to continue on my phone.

This should definitely be working so you can continue your progress between devices, if this isn't the case we need to jump straight on it and push an update asap.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This should definitely be working so you can continue your progress between devices, if this isn't the case we need to jump straight on it and push an update asap.
Someone else with two devices should chime in and see if it's not working for them too. Meanwhile let me confirm that it still not working. (I just reset my save on the iPhone in hopes that the iPad just took too long to upload.)

Sickbean

Saw trailer, bought immediately.

Working away in Germany for a week next week - this and FTL on my iPad should help nicely with Dark Souls 2 withdrawal!

Vire

Someone else with two devices should chime in and see if it's not working for them too. Meanwhile let me confirm that it still not working. (I just reset my save on the iPhone in hopes that the iPad just took too long to upload.)

I just downloaded it on my iPhone and it recognized that I unlocked all the chapters, so it seems to be working for me.

For what it's worth, I played through first on my iPad. Maybe that has something to do with it?

(iPhone 5 and iPad Air)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope. iCloud syncing isn't working for me. I even tried deleting the app from my phone.

(iPhone 4S and iPad mini first generation)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game is absolutely gorgeous, and atmospheric. Puzzles on first three levels are simple but nice. Hopefully it gets a bit more mind-bending later on.

chris121580

Question for the dev or anyone who has finished it, what do you have to do to make the jewel blue for Chapter 7 once you finish it? Mine is just white outlining and the rest of the chapter's jewels are blue when I complete them. Am I missing something?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just downloaded it on my iPhone and it recognized that I unlocked all the chapters, so it seems to be working for me.

For what it's worth, I played through first on my iPad. Maybe that has something to do with it?

(iPhone 5 and iPad Air)
Nope. iCloud syncing isn't working for me. I even tried deleting the app from my phone.

(iPhone 4S and iPad mini first generation)
I installed it on both my iPad and iPhone yesterday. Played until chapter 7 at work on the iPhone, but when I fired it up on the IPad it was a clean save. I reinstalled the app on the iPad, the syncing then worked and the stages were unlocked the next time I ran it.

(iPhone 4S and iPad 3)

Aw man, I can't wait for this to come out on Android. It looks great, but I want to play this on my incredible Samsung Galaxy 10, not my laggy ass iphone 4.

Alur

Bought. Immersed. The atmosphere (and brevity, to be honest, though I'm sure some disagree) is pretty much everything you could want in an iOS game.

Praise you Vire for the OT. I game on iOS a lot but was totally unaware of this gem. My only regret is that it drops along with FTL and the Hearthstone iOS soft launch...too much goodness at once!

Vire

Bought. Immersed. The atmosphere (and brevity, to be honest, though I'm sure some disagree) is pretty much everything you could want in an iOS game.

Praise you Vire for the OT. I game on iOS a lot but was totally unaware of this gem. My only regret is that it drops along with FTL and the Hearthstone iOS soft launch...too much goodness at once!
Glad you liked it. :)

Just saw this got a feature for Editor's Choice on the App Store, so that should certainly help sales.
DeTrPZR.jpg

This is really fantastic. Even the story is nice despite its simple presentation. It actually got to me when the
yellow blocks tried to swim after Ida. Wow, was that a touching little moment.

I can literally create a wallpaper from every level

Yup. I've taken a shot of pretty much every level for future wallpapers.

PittaGAF

Just completed Monument Valley.

Clever, essential, tactile, touching.

Amazing.

An experience not to be missed.

(I want more, of course).

In my book, Ustwo got what I call the Simogo factor: I will buy their next product no question asked.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Two instant sales just from showing the release trailer to a couple of friends. They're both casual gamers who appreciate games like The Room and such. You guys really nailed the style and price here, it's easy to convince people to give it a try. And it's always refreshing for me to be able to do so with a game that's not focusing on "whales" and is asking for a little more than the usual free/$0.99 price of entry. Good to see a Portuguese translation too, I wasn't expecting it when it was announced.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Getting this now, haven't played it yet but the images make me want Fez on iOS.
Thing is Fez isn't designed for touch. It'd just be touchscreen directional pad and buttons which are always clunky. Of course it could have support for the Made for iPhone controllers but not everyone has those and they're still few and far between.

Monument Valley is simple enough that it's touch designed with pathfinding and doesn't require precision twitch based movements.

Not that I wouldn't want Fez on iOS anyway.

Vire

Can someone give me a hint?

You are gonna feel silly!

Look for a doorway

I just showed this to my mother who has literally never really played a game in her life and she's made it all the way to Level 6. She's hooked!

Us Two should be pretty proud of this accomplishment... here's a quote you can put on the back of the box-art (Vire's) Mum: "This is so cool!".

sector4

I first read about this in a game informer or EDGE article and have been waiting ages for it to finally come up! Thanks for the reminder OP :)

Incredible. Downloading now. The fact that you can experience things like this for four bucks makes me marvel at the age.
Personally I think that's a bit disappointing. This game is worth more than $4 IMO. Hell, on PC, 140 is $6. I'd have easily paid $10 for this experience if it was on PC or PSN.

Yasumi

Banned
Just finished it, it was okay. I was expecting a little more with the Simogo comparisons, like a twist end or a new mechanic that makes you physically manipulate the hardware itself. Never really got stuck, but it was a neat little game for $4.

Oh, and on a side note, nice to see an IOS game thread that's not cluttered with the typical "IOS sucks" attitude you see in some other threads.

SmokyDave

Finished this last night. Loved it. I keep replaying chapters even though I know the solutions because it's such a relaxing experience.

So we're all in agreement that Chapter 8 is the best, right?
It was definitely my favourite, especially at the end
when everything folds back into itself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Was able to fix my syncing problem after deleting and redownloading on both devices a few times. It seems to be working now.

So how many levels are there?

Top Bottom