• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monument Valley iOS/Android |OT| Forgotten Shores expansion now out!

Twinduct

Ah man this is looking good! Looking forward to the Android release. Honestly Mobile games needs more of this & Hitman Go!

Shaneus

I agree with more_badass... The touch controls make it feel a lot more intimate and personal.
Agreed. It actually feels more like a pop-up book than anything else (including a "video" or computer game). For that, I applaud it.

Shaneus

Monument Valley using the rear touchscreen could be one heck of a trip. But I agree about portrait, though. Landscape would detract from that booky feel I mentioned earlier (not to mention the construction of the levels).

Perhaps a dedicated version with completely different levels would be more suited to Vita (and maybe PC).

ruie

really enjoyable little game. they sure could expand this, now. there are lots of ideas that could be reused together, but all the levels were beautifully done.

vpance

Nice little game, but it's damn short. And the 'bing' sound on every move feels out of place. If I could only go with one or the other Hitman Go kills this.

dubc35

Monument Valley using the rear touchscreen could be one heck of a trip. But I agree about portrait, though. Landscape would detract from that booky feel I mentioned earlier (not to mention the construction of the levels).

Perhaps a dedicated version with completely different levels would be more suited to Vita (and maybe PC).

The Vita version could easily be portrait (see Star Soldier on PSP).

Shaneus

Not with the level of detail needed, I don't think. The art seemed more suited to work on a 4:3 screen than a 16:9 (or close) one.

Theecliff

Banned
Bought the game about an hour ago. I don't play iOS games much but am enjoying this quite a lot!

I've put my iPhone down for a bit now but I had got up to chapter 8. I couldn't quite figure out how the level worked but I'll give another swing at it later. I'm seeing it mentioned in here a few times so it's probably a pretty smart level.

Also, here are some screens:
14111030441_3f8083d2ab_o.jpg

13927689178_5b749e39ff_o.jpg

14114665764_bcba4f04d2_o.jpg
This game has stunning art design.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This game is amazing. In fact, it is the first ever mobile game I've found compelling enough to spend more than 10 miniutes on. I played it until completion.

medze

Just finished this game and I'm in love. The game was short but every minute of it was great. The art direction is so clean and minimalist and I love the use of impossible geometry. Really great concept and fun game.

jamsy

Finished this earlier and it was the definition of short and sweet.

Really beautiful game. One of the best mobile games I've played yet.

Got it for Xperia Z yesterday, what a gorgeous art style and the only mobile game I recognize being good. This is what mobile gaming should be. Going to the suggestions on the Play store to see what else is there brings the usual crap why I avoid gaming on the platform. Finished it in 2 hours in 1 sitting which is a record, it's the only mobile game I could sit and play for more than 5 minutes. But the puzzles, they weren't really challenging, and I wish it had twice as many puzzles.

Happy to hear a Vita port is being considered, will buy again.

Shaneus

Got it for Xperia Z yesterday, what a gorgeous art style and the only mobile game I recognize being good. This is what mobile gaming should be. Going to the suggestions on the Play store to see what else is there brings the usual crap why I avoid gaming on the platform. Finished it in 2 hours in 1 sitting which is a record, it's the only mobile game I could sit and play for more than 5 minutes. But the puzzles, they weren't really challenging, and I wish it had twice as many puzzles.

Happy to hear a Vita port is being considered, will buy again.
I think some people need to alter their perspective slightly from viewing this as a puzzle game to get the most out of it. I thought of it as more of a pop-up book than puzzle and got much more enjoyment out of it. Never expected too much of a challenge and was never let down as a consequence :)

Just beat this and I loved it. I think they could really expand this concept as well. Some later levels had legitimate brain teasers and would love to see secrets and such things added. But yeah it felt like a pop-up book as much as a game.

GeoGonzo

Agh, I had this game on my wishlist for months due to the artstyle but I missed this thread so I didn't actually buy it till a non-gamer friend showed it to me. The shaaaame! :p

Anyway, couldn't say anything that hasn't been said in this thread before, I thought it was fantastic.

Also, how freaking RARE it is for games to save their best levels for last (like MV does), instead of padding their lenght with variations of the same puzzles that often only manage to bore the player by exposing the simplicity of a game. MV is exactly as long and deep as I'd want an iOS game to be
but I'll probably buy the new levels anyway

dubc35

This thread bump had me excited for levels but there are none in it :p

I didn't know there was an update. Nothing big, I assume?

Yeah. I don't remember the exact wording but fixed some crash or screen issues and added a link from the info screen to buy prints/merch from their website.

[edit] It also said sorry no new levels yet but they are working on them

Top Bottom