• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monument Valley iOS/Android |OT| Forgotten Shores expansion now out!

Vyer

This game is pretty awesome so far, and absolutely gorgeous on an iPad Air.

I can literally create a wallpaper from every level

You aren't kidding. I like that they even included some sort of screenshot export function even though you can take them anyway.

ustwo-Dan

Neo Member
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that the issue some people are having with iCloud is at the top of the hit list we're fixing today. That and an issue a minority have had with audio dropping out sometimes when you're switching between headphones.

All the team are reading the comments btw, thanks for the nice words :D

Vire

Wow... number one on paid apps on U.S. iTunes store.

rhRlkX8.png

us two games rolling in the dough.

dock

This will be the first app I buy tomorrow when I buy my iPad Mini Retina. :)
I wish there were more short and stylish games like this. It's encouraging that the sales are going well.

Chapter 8, man. Chapter 8.

This is exactly what I want from mobile gaming.

Good fucking god, this game is fantastic.

Short and not terribly challenging, granted, but it's the most polished and original iOS game I've played since Device 6, and that's pretty damn high praise.

Game seems completely lovely so far.

Why is Cross Save such a rare feature on iOS though? Seems like such an obvious thing to support, especially if the game is cross buy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Game seems completely lovely so far.

Why is Cross Save such a rare feature on iOS though? Seems like such an obvious thing to support, especially if the game is cross buy.
It's been getting more popular, but a lot of devs find iCloud unwieldy to work with. Also a lot of the time there are bugs that prevent syncing from working until you delete the game from all devices multiple times.

Hopefully iOS 8 fixes this shit.

Some info from the devs on Reddit
This isn't set in stone, but we'd like to have something out in around three months from now. We'd also like some of that content to be free.
We really couldn't say at this point as we haven't even had discussions as a team yet. What I can say is that we're hoping to fit some more challenging content in there.
So plans for more content, and more challenging content in the future

First game I've tried on my ipad, not disappointed so far. Touch devices are perfect for games like this.

Only question I have is about the lack of AA, is it a constraint of software on ios? I can't imagine that the ipad 4 would be too weak to drive a decent level of filtering. I know nothing about mobile games though so forgive me if this sounds ignorant.

Vire

First game I've tried on my ipad, not disappointed so far. Touch devices are perfect for games like this.

Only question I have is about the lack of AA, is it a constraint of software on ios? I can't imagine that the ipad 4 would be too weak to drive a decent level of filtering. I know nothing about mobile games though so forgive me if this sounds ignorant.

Usually most mobile game have a slight bit of aliasing, but nothing too egregious.

I don't know if it's different from iPad 4 to the Air, but I didn't really notice much aliasing in Monument Valley when I played.

PittaGAF

Seeing the game now as the top iPhone paid app and the first non free one in the top grossing chart fills me with joy.

kyser73

Just finished this with my 3.5 yr old daughter who said the game was 'magical. I like the princess' hat and the crows'.

Agree on Level 8 being the most charming.

MOAR levels pl ustwo :)

hyp

5 levels in and really loving everything about this game. hope they add some IAP for additional levels since it's pretty short apparently.

Is there sound and music in this game? Oddly enough I'm not hearing anything on my ipad :(
Try force quitting the game or restarting your iPad. Apparently there's a small bug where sometimes sound can cut out if you've been using headphones.

5 levels in and really loving everything about this game. hope they add some IAP for additional levels since it's pretty short apparently.
I didn't mind the length, but an update with both free and paid content said to be coming in about 3 months.

Apparently there's an Easter Egg in this initial version for us to find.

potam

Banned

Just finished the game, and I have to say it's the best mobile game I've played. It's also the most gorgeous. The game is challenging enough to keep you interested, but simple enough that it can be played in short spurts.

The only downside is the fact that there are only 10 levels. Have they mentioned anything about adding more later on?

Either way, it's worth the $3.99.

Vire

Just finished the game, and I have to say it's the best mobile game I've played. It's also the most gorgeous. The game is challenging enough to keep you interested, but simple enough that it can be played in short spurts.

The only downside is the fact that there are only 10 levels. Have they mentioned anything about adding more later on?

Either way, it's worth the $3.99.

Yes, more content is coming. They said that ideally they could get it out within three months and are tinkering with the idea of both free and paid content.

Tizoc

I can't view image or access any of the links in the OP, but what type of game is this exactly?

potam

Banned
I can't view image or access any of the links in the OP, but what type of game is this exactly?

3D perspective platformer/puzzler? You rotate levels and platforms in order to create paths based on your perspective. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first, but I can't think of anything to compare it to right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reminds me of crystal castles. I love how the game can make me go 'woah' really early on just by turning a dial.

Damn, that ended way too quickly. Lovely, gorgeous, fantastic little experience. Well worth the $4. I hope there is more content coming soon!

Mdk7

What an experience, it truly blew me away.
I expected a game that would look stunning, yet not only it looks jawdropping, but it also plays divinely.
And that atmosphere! <3

I felt the urge to create something to give homage to it, so i made this little fanart (even if it clearly doesn't match the beauty of the original game).

monument_valley_by_mdk7-d7extoj.jpg

Vire

What an experience, it truly blew me away.
I expected a game that would look stunning, yet not only it looks jawdropping, but it also plays divinely.
And that atmosphere! <3

I felt the urge to create something to give homage to it, so i made this little fanart (even if it clearly doesn't match the beauty of the original game).

monument_valley_by_mdk7-d7extoj.jpg

That's super awesome man! Love it. :)

Android or Windows phone or Steam: Day 1

That behind the scenes video was great.

Has anyone made a list of MC Escher inspired games?

The Bridge
Echochrome

dubc35

Crap, just finished ch 7 and was going to take a break for a bit but then read through the thread, ch 8 here I come!

Edit, beat the game last night, really enjoyed it! Great game! I would love some more levels but I think if there were 50 levels I would still want more, lol!

dat cube on ch 10 had me stumped for a bit.

I just made this post in the iOS thread but I might as well put it here too:

I just finished Monument Valley. I really liked it. My only complaint was that it was way too short. I finished the last level not knowing it was the last one and thought "these are starting to get a little tricky!" But then that was it. :/

A truly excellent game, I just wish it had twice as many puzzles.

Edit: Screenshots of the game make great wallpapers though!

Shaneus

So, big spoiler if you haven't played it yet, but
who got a little choked up when Totem tried to follow the girl out to sea?
:( Conversely, who was
a little bit happy when he resurfaced later on?
:)

dubc35

So, big spoiler if you haven't played it yet, but
who got a little choked up when Totem tried to follow the girl out to sea?
:( Conversely, who was
a little bit happy when he resurfaced later on?
:)

It didn't dawn on me at first that it (supposedly) drown when trying to follow. I was like ah, poor guy was trying to help! I was stoked to see him return though!

M.Steiner

I don't own an iOS device to play this on unfortunately but if they ever release it on Vita I'd be all over that. Beautiful looking game.

Top Bottom