• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monument Valley iOS/Android |OT| Forgotten Shores expansion now out!

Vire

Coming as an IAP level pack later this year
mv-screen-monument-valley.jpg

So beautiful! I can't wait.

Vire

Hey guys, good news.

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/monument-valley-forgotten-shores/#slide-id-1626919

Monument Valley Forgotten Shores announced.

Wired said:
Next Thursday, design studio Ustwo will release Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores. It’s not a sequel to the immensely popular (and rewarding) iOS game, but rather an expansion of the world you’ve already gotten to know. Eight new levels will be available as an in-app purchase for $1.99. Conceptually, these levels aren’t tacked onto the end of the game, but inserted between the penultimate and final levels of the original. But most importantly: They provide a deeper dive into the emotional story of Ida and her amiable friend, the totem.

“It’s kind of like a directors cut,” says Dan Gray, the executive producer on the game. “Like watching the bonus features on a DVD.”

Bought the new levels yesterday, finished lvls 1-3. Beautiful. This is one of the best games I've played this year.
And to think some idiots bashed this over 2 fucking dollars. smh...

zferolie

Neo Member
I found out about this game thanks to the news about people giving it crappy reviews for the dlc price. Downloaded it yesterday on my android and beat it today. loved it. Hopefully I don't need to wait too long for the expansion on the android

Vire

Wow, level 7 of Forgotten Shores is just amazing. Love the concept and it constantly surprised me.

GeoGonzo

Finished the new levels and I'm very, very impressed. Perfect length, a few new clever twists, wonderful maps... Couldn't recommend it enough.

Sakujou

Banned
Wow, the best mobile game i have ever played. Finished it on android because i got it for free, and i bought it on my ipad. I also bought the dlc. First dlc in my life and it was totally worth it.
I think next to smash bros. This is my goty. Unbelievable awesome this game. Sad that no one recognizes this litttle gem, since this is, imho BETTER than journey.

Sakujou

Banned
Apple just awarded it #1 iPad GOTY.
I came across this game thanks to the amazon app shop. No one on gaf ever talked about this. I usually only check a few game sites, and they of course only consist of videogames on consoles.... But this game is the first ever deserving more attention.

And yeah, i saw that too, but this kind of info just passed by without any attention....

Shiggy

Probably one of the best mobile devices titles this year! The expansion pack was definitely worth the Amazon Coins :D

Afrodium

Banned
So I finally got around to playing this game last night and was underwhelmed. It was beautiful for sure, but the actual game wasn't really deep enough to be enjoyable. I had always assumed that the game was beautiful AND a great puzzle game, but the puzzles basically amounts to moving the movable parts of the level until there was a path forward. Rinse and repeat. There were no real head scratchers in the entire game and I was only stuck for a few minutes at a time at most. I finished it in about an hour.

Given that these are my feeling on the game, is the expansion worth it? Does it expand upon the game in a meaningful way? Does it have actually difficult puzzles? Does the difficulty start up right where the vanilla game ended? I wanted to like this game but found it took style over substance and the actual puzzles suffered because of it. Will Forgotten Shores make me change my mind?

Forgotten Shores is trickier, but not crazy difficult. You're right that it picks up right where the original left off in terms of difficulty.

It's definitely worthwhile playing it, though, simply because it ups the surrealism and surprise factor. I thought there were more jaw dropping moments and a few head scratchers in FS.

Cavalier

Banned
LTTP. This game was sweet, but very short. It wasn't really challenging at all. Never been stuck at any point. Is the expansion pack any challenging?

Shaneus

I don't think it's meant to be challenging. It's more meant to be challenging in terms of how a pop-up book is challenging.

Top Bottom