• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More XBox layoffs incoming

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I mean they did just fire one so...

DZaSIR0.jpeg
I wanna listen alanah take on this.

damidu

The Gamepass model is a failure. Training your “customers” not to buy games is an awful strategy. AAA ROI is hard enough even when you actually sell games.
incredible that the moron in chief, who bet the whole division on this brilliant strategy, is still raking in millions, while people that actually create stuff get fucked on a monthly basis.
corporate muricaa!!!

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I feel like the next 10 years are gonna be rough for the people who have created their personality around pronouns and LGBTQ rights. Once these big corpos which are just large soulless engines created to make money and they realize that this whole DEI thing ain't working.
The problem is the damaged caused ... we can see this in hollywood .. lets take Star Wars ... they killed that franchise.. nobody gives a flying fuck anymore.... It would take years or some stroke of early George Lucas geniuses to uplift star wars again.

Theaters are empty, movies are failing... nobody cares .... they are starting to wake up from the woke pipedream.. but it seems too late and too slow.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Chart showing that >70% of PC and Console gamers rated diverse characters and diverse stories as extremely or very important.

Source: 2022 Google PC & Console Insights Report

If this is the result of an actual online survey, where were were they looking for participants? Were only Retard Era moderators allowed to participate? Because I don't believe at all that 98% of all PC and console players think that games featuring diverse characters and stories are important.

BTW The way the responses are set up is also indicative of the results they wanted. Four of the five possible answers are a positive response to inclusivity. Why weren't people asked the question "It is important that games feature diverse characters" and then ask the participants if they "agree completely", "agree somewhat", "neither agree nor disagree", "disagree somewhat" or "disagree completely"?

Besides that, the real point is not whether games should have diverse characters, but the way it is implemented. Nobody is against a diverse set of characters in a multiplayer game set in a futuristic world. This only becomes a contested issue when diversity is forced, when the devs are more interested in the political message of a game than the gameplay, etc.

Jaybe

If this is the result of an actual online survey, where were were they looking for participants? Were only Retard Era moderators allowed to participate? Because I don't believe at all that 98% of all PC and console players think that games featuring diverse characters and stories are important.

BTW The way the responses are set up is also indicative of the results they wanted. Four of the five possible answers are a positive response to inclusivity. Why weren't people asked the question "It is important that games feature diverse characters" and then ask the participants if they "agree completely", "agree somewhat", "neither agree nor disagree", "disagree somewhat" or "disagree completely"?

Besides that, the real point is not whether games should have diverse characters, but the way it is implemented. Nobody is against a diverse set of characters in a multiplayer game set in a futuristic world. This only becomes a contested issue when diversity is forced, when the devs are more interested in the political message of a game than the gameplay, etc.

Good callout. Seems like these people manufacture surveys to make their work seem important and valuable. It’s quite the grift.

This is the problem with the M&As. After the honeymoon phase passes, 5 years later are these studios still happy they were acquired? I'm guessing No, for the most part. But I'd be interested to hear what leaders from these acquired studios think of the acquisition now vs 3-5 years ago.

I feel like the next 10 years are gonna be rough for the people who have created their personality around pronouns and LGBTQ rights. Once these big corpos which are just large soulless engines created to make money and they realize that this whole DEI thing ain't working.

I don't think that personality is entirely by choice. I think it's a defense mechanism. And judging by some of the comments here, it's potentially a justified and necessary one.

As a minority myself, I know the feeling of being considered the enemy by people I've never met. It's weird. Like, I'm poisoning the blood of America here, LOL. But what I don't know is what it's like for people to be making laws about where I'm allowed to use the bathroom. You can't do that to people and expect them to not dig in their heels and get a little crazy, outspoken, and over-defensive. I don't base my personality around my ethnicity, but if bigoted bathroom laws were passed about me. About my kid. Yeah, I'd become a very different person.

I can agree that she made some out-there comments. If those were the reason for her being let go, then, yeah, I get it. At the same time, though, I'm not going to find joy in it. It sucks that she feels the need to be that outspoken. Hate has likely made her a little crazy.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Did Microsoft also take away her skills and experience as well as her ability to find another job when they let her go?
A person's ability to find another job after being laid off has nothing to do with the fact that being laid off is a terrible thing that shouldn't be cheered for.

Finding a job is hard under normal circumstances. Finding a job in an industry that is seeing almost zero growth and has laid off over 20,000 people in the last 18 months is a terrifying fucking prospect.

You may disagree with their ideals, politics, pronouns, or colour they choose to dye their hair, but they're still people who will now have to figure out if whatever savings they have will last until they find another job.

Literally nothing to cheer about here.

Lunarorbit

Xbox is the most bipolar company out there. It has vasilated between closing studios and then celebrating their devs alot this past year.

That's a cause for concern

Chukhopops

Is it me or does it seem that many here have a certain obsession and desire for the closure of Ninja Theory to be announced?....🤷
Ninja Theory, 343, Turn10… It’s weird to see people cheering for layoffs just because of console warring.

You have to be a brown stain on mankind’s underwear to cheer for people losing their jobs… even if they make games you don’t like or have dyed hair.

Saber

Gold Member
This forum sure loves seeing people lose their jobs and their livelihoods completely fucked.

I will feel sad or give my condolences to the ones who really work hard or make difference. I'm not stupid to feel bad for any person, and no offense feeling sad for any clown sounds like incredibly dumb.
People like her makes no difference in the game development.
Good ridance. Offer your job for her if you're so sad about it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Is it me or does it seem that many here have a certain obsession and desire for the closure of Ninja Theory to be announced?....🤷

Ninja Theory has been talked about being on the chopping block ever since Tango and Arkane Austin were shuttered. Not just here. It's been speculated widely on youtube and twitter. Three folks mentioning NT in this thread isn't really eyebrow raising.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I will feel sad or give my condolences to the ones who really work hard or make difference. I'm not stupid to feel bad for any person, and no offense feeling sad for any clown sounds like incredibly dumb.
People like her makes no difference in the game development.
Good ridance. Offer your job for her if you're so sad about it.
You have no reason to feel sad for any of them. You should, at the very least, be able to empathize.

Also, how do you know if they make a difference or not?
The people who manage payroll do not directly contribute to development. Community managers do not, facilities managers do not. The team that makes sure all the other people in the company are happy and are able to do their best work do not directly contribute. The person responsible for making sure all the subscriptions for all the tools the art team, music team, and developers use do not directly contribute to development. Yet they're all employed.

Why do you think that is?

Do you really think that a team of 150 can be made up of just designers and engineers?

Saber

Gold Member
You have no reason to feel sad for any of them. You should, at the very least, be able to empathize.

Also, how do you know if they make a difference or not?
The people who manage payroll do not directly contribute to development. Community managers do not, facilities managers do not. The team that makes sure all the other people in the company are happy and are able to do their best work do not directly contribute. The person responsible for making sure all the subscriptions for all the tools the art team, music team, and developers use do not directly contribute to development. Yet they're all employed.

Why do you think that is?

Do you really think that a team of 150 can be made up of just designers and engineers?

Nope. You can emphatize with whatever people you want, but not me. I will feel emphaty with people who I think deserves, not any clown. I will not feel anything for a person that for instance keep sleeping on the job.

150 team must be made of profissionals, not social media retards. A member already said here but if she were to made those cringe ass statements on Twitter while working in the same private hospital I work, she would be fired next day. Once you work for a company anything you do on social media represents the conpany, thats why you keep your mouth shut and do your work.

Elios83

Xbox is the most bipolar company out there. It has vasilated between closing studios and then celebrating their devs alot this past year.

That's a cause for concern

It's just different people doing different jobs.
The marketing guys always have to paint the "good guy" picture, the executives who actually take decisions don't give a fuck and they get rid of things they believe have little chance to be successfull and profitable.

Darsxx82

Ninja Theory has been talked about being on the chopping block ever since Tango and Arkane Austin were shuttered. Not just here. It's been speculated widely on youtube and twitter. Three folks mentioning NT in this thread isn't really eyebrow raising.
Three in this thread in a short time...... and the same in each thread of layoffs even when it comes to other companies (generally all in the industry) or not specifically Xbox. Repeating yourself continuously even when the news does not indicate anything is a sign of obsession no matter where you look at it.

The discussion about NT has its origin in the same obsession/desire of people linked to the console war, taking advantage of the latest cases of studio closures and layoffs and here is a reflection of that war and obsession.

MS has a lot of potential Studios to close when the time comes. Perhaps Phil&friend will announce the closure of one of them before NT and yet I have the feeling that it will be a disappointment for some.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

After the recent closure streaks, can you really blame them?
When they are repeated in every thread of layoffs or closure of Studios even when they don't even concern XBOX or if the news itself is not indicative of anything.....🤷

That said, I have simply pointed out the signs of obsession/desire with NT that this repetition reflects. MS has many other potential Studios that could suffer layoffs and closures but console wars is what usually brings 🤷.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It's just different people doing different jobs.
The marketing guys always have to paint the "good guy" picture, the executives who actually take decisions don't give a fuck and they get rid of things they believe have little chance to be successfull and profitable.
The problem is that in MS the executives also do the PR .. and then.. shit happens when in one week you do something and next week you are PRing the exactly opposite of what you just did...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Three in this thread in a short time...... and the same in each thread of layoffs even when it comes to other companies (generally all in the industry) or not specifically Xbox. Repeating yourself continuously even when the news does not indicate anything is a sign of obsession no matter where you look at it.

The discussion about NT has its origin in the same obsession/desire of people linked to the console war, taking advantage of the latest cases of studio closures and layoffs and here is a reflection of that war and obsession.

MS has a lot of potential Studios to close when the time comes. Perhaps Phil&friend will announce the closure of one of them before NT and yet I have the feeling that it will be a disappointment for some.

You didn't quote them directly and haven't scrolled back up to figure out who was being quoted but I'll take your word on whatever history of posts you are referring to here. I'm just saying that even Xbox journalists like Ryan McCaffrey expressed concern for NT after the last closures. This isn't something coming out of left field. At the same time, would it surprise me if warriors are using this to jab at Xbox? No.....not at all.

MikeM

How to trigger GAF: mention/show someone involved with pronouns lol some of you are soft as puppy shit.

In regards to OP- MS doing MS things. Should we expect game delay announcements shortly?

Top Bottom