• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More XBox layoffs incoming

The economy was going down the tube when all the acquisitions were being finalized, but it's only tanked further and harder since then. Not even MS could have foreseen how bad things would be at this point. Try and make fossil fuels taboo while wasting billions on other country's problems while also allowing millions of illegal immigrants to spill into the country will do that. Microsoft's acquisitions were unfortunately timed. If we were still living with the economy from 2016 the magnitude of these layoffs and closures wouldn't be the same. #fossilfuelsagainstpoverty 💪

feynoob

So all this talk is based on one person being laid off? Think Tom Warren may have jumped the gun here.
Nevermind. Seems there have been more.

"Throughout the past 24 hours, several people have taken to social media to announce that they have faced layoffs at Microsoft.

It’s currently unclear the exact number of those affected or if they’re part of the 1500 estimated to be laid off in June. Insider Gaming has found four people announcing their departure from the company.

Angela Viness, a Senior Product Manager at Microsoft wrote, “Hello friends – In light of the recent layoffs at Microsoft, my position was eliminated, and I am now on the lookout for my next career adventure. It was an incredible ride and I’m extremely grateful for the opportunities I was given.”

While Jessabirdy on X (formerly Twitter) said, “Sad to announce that my role with Microsoft has been eliminated. To all those who have been a part of Team Xbox. Thank you. Hope I made you proud. <3”

Cory Ebert, a Technical Program Manager said, “Well, this isn’t how I thought today would go. After nearly 15 years (seriously, two months shy), Microsoft has made the decision to end our working relationship effective immediately due to changes in the business direction and landscape.”"
This is just the old layoff. Some parts of workload takes time before the layoff comes in to effects.

If there was new layoff, we would have heard by now.

That shrier guy loves this story.

Ozzie666

Having worked for a large corporation, they usually hire external companies for these things. Those companies have zero idea about the people or what they do, they just find the easiest poistions or sectors to cut. They really don't care about the loss of experience, immediate production levels or growing pains. All about the immediate appearance of streamlining and earning those executives their bonuses. Gaming not being regulated or having to deal with too much compliance, it's extremely vulnerable.

Topher

Gold Member
This is just the old layoff. Some parts of workload takes time before the layoff comes in to effects.

If there was new layoff, we would have heard by now.

That shrier guy loves this story.

The previous layoffs were in January. These are not the words of someone who was laid off in January...

Cory Ebert, a Technical Program Manager said, “Well, this isn’t how I thought today would go. After nearly 15 years (seriously, two months shy), Microsoft has made the decision to end our working relationship effective immediately due to changes in the business direction and landscape.”"

Doesn't mean there is necessarily hundreds or thousands along with these who have said they have been laid off though. If this is just a few select people being laid off then that is not going to make the news.

Last edited:

feynoob

The previous layoffs were in January. These are not the words of someone who was laid off in January...

Doesn't mean there is necessarily hundreds or thousands along with these who have said they have been laid off though. If this is just a few select people being laid off then that is not going to make the news.
Some changes take time. It's not going to be effective immediately.

feynoob

Read it again my man

"Microsoft has made the decision to end our working relationship effective immediately"
Microsoft has made the decision to end our working relationship effective immediately due to changes in the business direction and landscape.

This was from what you posted.
Some parts will take time, until they aren't needed. But they are still in the plan of cutting them down.

If they were going to do another layoff, we would be getting 100+ people laid off them from MS/xbox news.

You don't do cutting department, without doing the same on other departments too. Saves time and effort.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
when are these changes supposed to be made, in the next two days right?

despite the anticipation of Ninja Theory's closure, I would be shocked if they actually did it.. but if they do it, that would be even more evidence that Xbox as a business is in deep shit

moral of the story: the corporation's not your 'partner'. you don't have a 'working relationship'. they hire you, they fire you...

Last edited:

Haint

The economy was going down the tube when all the acquisitions were being finalized, but it's only tanked further and harder since then. Not even MS could have foreseen how bad things would be at this point. Try and make fossil fuels taboo while wasting billions on other country's problems while also allowing millions of illegal immigrants to spill into the country will do that. Microsoft's acquisitions were unfortunately timed. If we were still living with the economy from 2016 the magnitude of these layoffs and closures wouldn't be the same. #fossilfuelsagainstpoverty 💪

Stay off the Facebook/Twitter circle jerk quasi-conspiratorial echo chambers chief, the Economy's still doing fine. Literally every establishment in town is still plastered in now hiring signs. The service industry (mostly retail/restaurants) is so desperate for labor they've lowered their standards to Ex-Cons covered in head to toe full body ink, starting them at like $20/hr. Tech and Media are posting record profits and their stocks are at all time highs. Hardly the signs of economic woes. They're laying people off not because they're performing poorly financially (quite the opposite), they're purging cause they wildly over hired during Covid and have realized a majority of their work force is made up of useless redundancies who do nothing.

Last edited:
NEW0Loq.jpeg
She'll find a place on a sweet baby kind of place :messenger_unamused:

ududy

Neo Member
I will feel sad or give my condolences to the ones who really work hard or make difference. I'm not stupid to feel bad for any person, and no offense feeling sad for any clown sounds like incredibly dumb.
People like her makes no difference in the game development.
Good ridance. Offer your job for her if you're so sad about it.

I'd argue that they do make a difference - a negative one.

Pushing diversity and other socio-political agendas into the design of game worlds and game narratives makes them all feel uniform, as sterile as lego bricks. It's like giving over creativity into the hands of the borg: no individuality allowed, no flaws that are considered crimes against the sacred PC dogmas. No, dear developer, your story beats, character cast and emotional tone will be perfected by our social utopia experts until they're squeaky clean and uniformly depression-grey.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
and Media are posting record profits and their stocks are at all time highs. Hardly the signs of economic woes. They're laying people off not because they're performing poorly financially (quite the opposite), they're purging cause they wildly over hired during Covid and have realized a majority of their work force is made up of useless redundancies who do nothing.

They are telling you literally that they are losing money. Games like Suicide Squad lost 200 million. If Rocksteady shuts down tomorrow it won't be because they "overhired" but because they fucking bombed. The same applies to MS and Sony studios.

XBOX is not getting profits so they cut down projects and jobs, If they weren't funded by MS they would have already closed. On the other hand, we have Playstation's CEO stating that their current margins are not good enough.

It's their words, not some randoms from twitter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Leave it to unhinged tech workers and companies amped up on DEI and culture shit. And here I thought 10 years ago, techie companies were all nerdy programmer dudes.

I've worked at big traditional Fortune 500 corporations my entire career and not once had anyone even close to these kind of roles. I guess the companies are too boring and just have a VP of HR, and then it stepladders to Director of HR, Sr. HR Manager and Assistant HR Manager.

Jessabirdy

@Jessabirdy
·
Mar 4, 2022

I am incredibly excited to announce my new role
@Xbox
! As Senior Business PM of Culture Programs, I'll be working under our Chief of Staff
@haiyan
to support culture initiatives and employee programs across Team Xbox.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Stay off the Facebook/Twitter circle jerk quasi-conspiratorial echo chambers chief, the Economy's still doing fine. Literally every establishment in town is still plastered in now hiring signs. The service industry (mostly retail/restaurants) is so desperate for labor they've lowered their standards to Ex-Cons covered in head to toe full body ink, starting them at like $20/hr. Tech and Media are posting record profits and their stocks are at all time highs. Hardly the signs of economic woes. They're laying people off not because they're performing poorly financially (quite the opposite), they're purging cause they wildly over hired during Covid and have realized a majority of their work force is made up of useless redundancies who do nothing.

And all those redundancies typically start and end with soy faces and blue haired pronouns.

Now if only we could get rid of them industry wide.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree.

In 2022 and 2023 after covid shook out, I'd eat and local mom and pop shops and ask how it's going. They cant find staff. Somehow, somewhere all the college kids and low skilled adults disappeared. The owner of a diner near my place used to pay $15-20. Now she cant find wait staff unless it's like $25+. And for the cooks, she even said they'd try to negotiate up to $30. A job to cook eggs and bacon.

So whatever happened post covid shake out when it was time for many cities to get back to full time work as safety mandates were dropped, it fucked things up. Before covid things were humming fine.

Leave it to unhinged tech workers and companies amped up on DEI and culture shit. And here I thought 10 years ago, techie companies were all nerdy programmer dudes.

I've worked at big traditional Fortune 500 corporations my entire career and not once had anyone even close to these kind of roles. I guess the companies are too boring and just have a VP of HR, and then it stepladders to Director of HR, Sr. HR Manager and Assistant HR Manager.

Jessabirdy
@Jessabirdy
·
Mar 4, 2022

I am incredibly excited to announce my new role
@Xbox
! As Senior Business PM of Culture Programs, I'll be working under our Chief of Staff
@haiyan
to support culture initiatives and employee programs across Team Xbox.
another delusional:

Sad to announce that my role with Microsoft has been eliminated.To all those who have been a part of Team Xbox. Thank you. Hope I made you proud. <3

your 'role'? like this was some kinda performance? well, actually, in a way, it was: a position that hadn't existed before you filled it, & that now, without you, no longer exists. kinda like a sitcom bringing in a new character after a few seasons, & then, weeks later, realizing that it was a bad idea & just dropping them...

Hopefully selling ninja theory off. When will the western game devs organize and protest or riot against satanic baby inc. Things won't improve for them when SBI holds so much power in the western gaming industry. This might be the first time ever in gaming that a game dev would rather work in Russia or china than in the US.
You act like sbi forced their way in. They hire them. Phil holds conferences for thr woke. They put out mandates to not make women characters curvy. Sbi is a symptom of the woke mind virus that has festered in creative fields since 2014. Movies, tech ind, games, boardgames tabletop, TV, shit even my work at a metal alloy foundry has been infected with dei and all that goes with it.

This was all happening well before sbi. People didn't want to hear it back in 2014 and up until last year but it was very obvious. Many Gen z have been indoctrinated from school or something as they mostly all except for a few have the same views. Now Gen x like myself and also millennials have no excuse for not pushing back harder. Seems like boomers do the majority of the pushback. And guess what they aren't really in games development or are retired.

Last edited:
This person does not understand reality. There is a reason why we don’t have mixed gender professional sports.

All I can think of is maybe hormones affecting body strength. But I really don't know since I heard different things from different people and I haven't been prescribed them yet.

But I agree that there shouldn't be a simple swap over. Just like at my job I can't just swap genders without going through a process.

Schmendrick

All I can think of is maybe hormones affecting body strength. But I really don't know since I heard different things from different people and I haven't been prescribed them yet.
You don't need to hear "things from people" here....:messenger_downcast_sweat:

This is not some unknown scientific field.
Men have a much higher percentage of muscle mass than women by default mainly due to testosterone.

The most important steroid in bodybuilding to this day for that very reason is also still testosterone....

The moment someone gets noteworthy doses of testosterone he will get stronger.

In anything that requires strength men will always dominate women, no matter if they're wearing a dress or pants.... The biology or to be more specific the endocrine system doesn't care what a person identifies as, the genes/chromosomes can't be tricked.

Men with wigs in women's sports are literally a middle finger to the women giving their best. Nobody can seriously want that.

Last edited:
You don't need to hear "things from people" here....:messenger_downcast_sweat:

This is not some unknown scientific field.
Men have a much higher percentage of muscle mass than women by default mainly due to testosterone.

The most important steroid in bodybuilding to this day for that very reason is also still testosterone....

The moment someone gets noteworthy doses of testosterone he will get stronger.

In anything that requires strength men will always dominate women, no matter if they're wearing a dress or pants.... The biology or to be more specific the endocrine system doesn't care what a person identifies as, the genes/chromosomes can't be tricked.

Men with wigs in women's sports are literally a middle finger to the women giving their best. Nobody can seriously want that.

Oh know I'm talking about the ones that remove their testicles and are on estrogen for several years.

Definitely not Men that simply put wigs on. Everyone knows putting a wig on doesn't change your physical composition.

I don't wear wigs BTW I find them extremely uncomfortable. I would much rather just grow my hair out naturally.

Schmendrick

Oh know I'm talking about the ones that remove their testicles and are on estrogen for several years.
That doesn't nullify the time before that happened, muscle mass never completely vanishes, the blueprint via the fascia is permanent, the sceletal development is different etc...
Under the same circumstances those men will still have a large advantage over women.
Men no matter what they did to their body have no right to intrude in women's sports and women will never be able to compete in physical competitions with men no matter how much some feminists try to deny biological realities.

The "men in wigs" was just hyperbole to drive the point home.

I think we're derailing the thread here and I think a discussion about this topic is kinda superfluous anyways so I'll take my hat at this point ;)

Last edited:
That doesn't nullify the time before that happened, muscle mass never completely vanishes, the blueprint via the fascia is permanent, the sceletal development is different etc...
Under the same circumstances those men will still have a large advantage over women.
Men no matter what they did to their body have no right to intrude in women's sports and women will never be able to compete in physical competitions with men no matter how much some feminists try to deny biological realities.

The "men in wigs" was just hyperbole to drive the point home.

I think we're derailing the thread here and I think a discussion about this topic is kinda superfluous anyways so I'll take my hat at this point ;)

Final thing.

Thanks for the information. I'm obviously going through the process so I appreciate the additional info.

I agree that biological males shouldn't invade women sports because of the physical differences. Although I would like to point out that some of us truly consider ourselves females and we are not doing this to gain unfair advantages over Cis Women.

With that aside I agree we should stop the derail as this is a pretty sensitive topic and belongs elsewhere. I don't mind discussing it as I'm very open to other points of views but many others are extremely bothered by this whether trans or not.

PeteBull

Definitely not Men that simply put wigs on. Everyone knows putting a wig on doesn't change your physical composition.

I don't wear wigs BTW I find them extremely uncomfortable. I would much rather just grow my hair out naturally.
Even then that eunuch had advantage of living as a proper man for many years, his bone densitiy, lungs, joints are much stronger(usually much taller vs women too), simply check how many of transformers go route: low rank in some sport among men->top rank with huge lead in women's sport.
Its never the oposite, not even 1 case of born as a woman then pretend to be a man and achieve any high rank in sport- they get decimated coz women at birth and durning their puberty/whole life are much weaker, their body is designed to get birth, not for max phys performance in sports.

To give u an idea how much there is difference men vs womens sports, not cos of skill but physical advantages:
example 1:
higschoolers(not national lvl team, just regular highschool team under 15yo :p ) decimating US women soccer team
example 2:
Serena Williams(back at that time undisputed top tennis player, i think every1 in the US know of her, and probably most ppl in the world too) lost badly to 203rd ranked guy

Even something so intelectual like chess, highest ranked woman currently is 2632(huge lead vs 2nd highest with 2566), which means that is less vs currently ranked 104th 17yo guy https://www.chess.com/players/volodar-murzin
And same reason here, girls perform in chess similar to boys till around age of 12-14yo, then puberty hits and girls advance much much slower, training in chess requires humongous physical endurance(and mental too), some matches can last hours upon hours, and as a super bad amatour myself- even 20minutes match vs some former youth champ can literally fry my brain here, amount of work put into training on professional lvl is unimginable(on top of talent ofc).

Now imagine what happens in boxing/mma fights :)

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What has this thread fallen into? It's about Xbox laying off more people, not whom.

Coming back to the main topic, as I suspected, the PS5 ports were a stop-gap solution to this. And while it must have helped, I don't think it was enough to completely stop Xbox's downfall. Their profitability is still suffering. And I think this will only propel them further to embrace their new multiplatform publisher status fully.

Even then that eunuch had advantage of living as a proper man for many years, his bone densitiy, lungs, joints are much stronger(usually much taller vs women too), simply check how many of transformers go route: low rank in some sport among men->top rank with huge lead in women's sport.
Its never the oposite, not even 1 case of born as a woman then pretend to be a man and achieve any high rank in sport- they get decimated coz women at birth and durning their puberty/whole life are much weaker, their body is designed to get birth, not for max phys performance in sports.

To give u an idea how much there is difference men vs womens sports, not cos of skill but physical advantages:
example 1:
higschoolers(not national lvl team, just regular highschool team under 15yo :p ) decimating US women soccer team
example 2:
Serena Williams(back at that time undisputed top tennis player, i think every1 in the US know of her, and probably most ppl in the world too) lost badly to 203rd ranked guy

Even something so intelectual like chess, highest ranked woman currently is 2632(huge lead vs 2nd highest with 2566), which means that is less vs currently ranked 104th 17yo guy https://www.chess.com/players/volodar-murzin
And same reason here, girls perform in chess similar to boys till around age of 12-14yo, then puberty hits and girls advance much much slower, training in chess requires humongous physical endurance(and mental too), some matches can last hours upon hours, and as a super bad amatour myself- even 20minutes match vs some former youth champ can literally fry my brain here, amount of work put into training on professional lvl is unimginable(on top of talent ofc).

Now imagine what happens in boxing/mma fights :)

Sorry if I came off as a real bitch.

😞

I assure you I'm not one of those crazy people like the one that just got laid off.

Just trying to understand things better since I'm going through the process.

The only thing for me is i might have to swap PT Test Standards because my body might become too weak to pass the Male PT Test. But I understand that has nothing to do with competing in sports.

What has this thread fallen into? It's about Xbox laying off more people, not whom.

Coming back to the main topic, as I suspected, the PS5 ports were a stop-gap solution to this. And while it must have helped, I don't think it was enough to completely stop Xbox's downfall. Their profitability is still suffering. And I think this will only propel them further to embrace their new multiplatform publisher status fully.

That is also true. Really hate how when there's an LGBTQ person involved the whole thread becomes about their identity or whether or not they are an activist. I would prefer to focus on why the person got fired and who else lost their jobs to better understand the health of the industry.

Last edited:

midnightAI

The technology of Ninja theory is what MS/Xbox needs right now.

Use that one to upgrade their graphics of their games.
Unreal Engine 5? That's not exclusive to Ninja Theory (and there are plenty of mocap studios within MS)

It isn't really the technology NT has developed, they do have many very talented Devs within the studio, their games have always looked very good when they have been given time, and that's the key here. Upcoming UE5 games could look close to that within the restrictions Ninja Theory placed on Hellblade 2, a good few years Dev time for a short game that is very linear, 30fps etc.

My point is, it's UE5 doing the brunt of the work here, not really any specific technology Ninja Theory has created and I don't think it will be very long before it's matched/ bettered.

Edit: I just want to be clear, like I said, NT have many very talented Devs, MS would be stupid to get rid of them, they just need to get away from this artsy, pretentious drivel in Hellblade and go back to making action 'games' in my opinion.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The technology of Ninja theory is what MS/Xbox needs right now.

Use that one to upgrade their graphics of their games.
There is no proprietary tech there. Ninja Theory doesn't even have its own engine.

They use Unreal Engine 5, which anybody can use. And mo-cap studios are rented all the time. Nothing of value there.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Sorry if I came off as a real bitch.

😞

I assure you I'm not one of those crazy people like the one that just got laid off.

Just trying to understand things better since I'm going through the process.

The only thing for me is i might have to swap PT Test Standards because my body might become too weak to pass the Male PT Test. But I understand that has nothing to do with competing in sports.
Its fine, just remember ur body becomes weaker but its all from pov of being a guy, aka set point for strenght u are used to is way higher, its still much stronger from women's body, as proven repeatedly in sports, and thats vs top female atheletes too, ur avg woman(XX chromosomes) is much weaker even :)

Here something funny to ease up atmosphere, polish county mma fight, male vs female, even things looking like that(guy is drunk af and about 3x lighter) no clear win altho u can tell 1 graze on the chin was enough to stop that behemoth(mind u from tiny drunk guy, not from proffessional boxer, a man tho :p )

Since its in polish so most ppl dont understand- i will provide context- wifey spoted drunk hubby wanting to drive and decided to take countermeasures :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom