• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - August 31st Release |OT| (almost) Sega Saturn'd

It's easy to take advantage of the AI in MK and MK II. Having a hard time with UMK 3. Any exploits there?

Tons. Pick Sheeva or Sonya. They have amazing air priority. Don't use special moves all that often, especially against Jade. You can literally work your way all the way up to Motaro with only jump kicks and sweeps. Do not try an aggressive ground game.

Sektor and Robot Smoke have a super easy exploit. Jump back, and while in the air, do a kick or punch. As you are doing it, do the motions for the teleport punch. The CPU should throw their projectile to counter your standard attack, but you've buffered the teleport and will execute it as they perform their projectile. You will teleport under the projectile and reappear behind for an easy hit. As they fall, you can juggle how you see fit. When the juggle is complete, jump back and repeat. The CPU is amazingly inept at stopping this pattern.

Cyrax has a pretty easy exploit, but setting it up can be a tad tricky. Toss out a net, then drop a close bomb. The computer will either block the net and be afraid of stepping on the bomb - therefore hanging back and allowing you to toss out another net - or it will get caught in the net. They will be dragged toward you, the bomb will detonate and send them over your head. You can nail them with a roundhouse. Follow that with another net/bomb set up. If you toss out the net and the computer is too close, you will get hit. They key here is to maintain distance.

Barring that, Sindel has a pretty easy loop. Jump straight up and throw a fireball (d,df LK). The CPU will either A) get hit. You then jump straight up again, this time throwing out a kick. The CPU should run in and attempt to air counter you. You'll hit them instead. B) Jump back ward and attempt to run in. You will jump straight up and do a kick, hitting them like before. C) Stand there as your fireball misses them. Simply inch forward and repeat the step. If you move too far forward, the CPU will either move back to compensate or run in an combo you. Inching forward is the only way to set it up properly.

Only use projectiles at a full or near full screen distance. CPU Liu Kang and Kabal are fond of their air projectiles. You will need to time your jump kicks at a closer than normal range if you go that route. Experimentation is key.

Tons. Pick Sheeva or Sonya. They have amazing air priority. Don't use special moves all that often, especially against Jade. You can literally work your way all the way up to Motaro with only jump kicks and sweeps. Do not try an aggressive ground game.

Sektor and Robot Smoke have a super easy exploit. Jump back, and while in the air, do a kick or punch. As you are doing it, do the motions for the teleport punch. The CPU should throw their projectile to counter your standard attack, but you've buffered the teleport and will execute it as they perform their projectile. You will teleport under the projectile and reappear behind for an easy hit. As they fall, you can juggle how you see fit. When the juggle is complete, jump back and repeat. The CPU is amazingly inept at stopping this pattern.

Cyrax has a pretty easy exploit, but setting it up can be a tad tricky. Toss out a net, then drop a close bomb. The computer will either block the net and be afraid of stepping on the bomb - therefore hanging back and allowing you to toss out another net - or it will get caught in the net. They will be dragged toward you, the bomb will detonate and send them over your head. You can nail them with a roundhouse. Follow that with another net/bomb set up. If you toss out the net and the computer is too close, you will get hit. They key here is to maintain distance.

Barring that, Sindel has a pretty easy loop. Jump straight up and throw a fireball (d,df LK). The CPU will either A) get hit. You then jump straight up again, this time throwing out a kick. The CPU should run in and attempt to air counter you. You'll hit them instead. B) Jump back ward and attempt to run in. You will jump straight up and do a kick, hitting them like before. C) Stand there as your fireball misses them. Simply inch forward and repeat the step. If you move too far forward, the CPU will either move back to compensate or run in an combo you. Inching forward is the only way to set it up properly.

Only use projectiles at a full or near full screen distance. CPU Liu Kang and Kabal are fond of their air projectiles. You will need to time your jump kicks at a closer than normal range if you go that route. Experimentation is key.

Awesome stuff. Will try. Thanks!

Well, the game is supposedly going to be released on the PC tomorrow (Feb 1). The trailer was added to the Steam registry earlier and from the looks of it, it'll be a GFWL title.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If it's coming today, I'll check it out. Hopefully there's a lot of people playing.

I just picked up the MK PDP Klassic Fight Stick for $80 at EB today. Such a dumb purchase because I'm not sure if I'll really ever drag it out and use it that much (nor am I sure that it is the best arcade stick to use-- already have a MvC TE stick)but I would regret it if I never got it because I'm sure it will never be this cheap again. Also lets me give my brother a copy of MKAK because it comes with a DLC code.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Impressions b4 I buy please? Particularly on the netcode?

isamu

It's about on par with the post-patch console versions. It's not the greatest netcode, but it beats Kaillera. I haven't had any horribly laggy matches yet. Only problem is that there aren't a lot of people playing.

Thanks for impressions man. If anyone else has any other impressions please let me know.

Thanks for impressions man. If anyone else has any other impressions please let me know.

Its pretty darn good. Unfortunately there's still two sound glitches in the game though.

1. Endurance Round 3 in MK1 has no music
2. Sub-Zero's ice freeze has a double freezing sound effect

They've pretty much fixed all of the other problems including many of the music glitches (stuff that never was patched on the console versions). I still don't see how they can release the game with such major errors, but at least for the most part it doesn't affect the online portion of the game. I can mostly enjoy the game now. On the PC version, v-sync doesn't seem to be an issue either.

3rd Strike Online still puts MKAK to shame in terms of the online modes and reverence for the original game. But at least MKAK exists and I love being able to play real competition.

So this is on sale right now on PSN for $6.99($4.89 for PS+).

Was wondering if it's worth it now post-patch? I read the last few pages but nothing really too informative.

So this is on sale right now on PSN for $6.99($4.89 for PS+).

Was wondering if it's worth it now post-patch? I read the last few pages but nothing really too informative.

I don't know how well it worked on PSN, but the XBLA patch showed a significant improvement. It's a pretty solid buy at that price if you're a fan of the games.

Anyone know if the pc version or ps3 version have active communities for mk2? The 360 version is hard to find a match sometimes... The steam version is also on sale

Dereck

Has anyone in this thread ever pondered the lack of a MK Trilogy re-release?

The only problem with the game (non-64) are the load times, but with a digital re-release that could be gone.

The same goes for MK Gold.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

The only problem with the game (non-64) are the load times, but with a digital re-release that could be gone.

I'm pretty sure that MK Trilogy was unplayable on the PS2 due to some sort of issue with the backwards compatibility (one of the very few PS1 games that didn't work on the PS2). Maybe that issue is also a problem on the PS3?

Solo Act

I ponder it often because it was my favorite MK game of all time due to one feature - one button fatalities, babalities, friendships, etc. It was awesome to be guaranteed a finishing move after every round with a toggle option. I wish MK9 had this. Heck, I wish ANY other MK game had this.

A Trilogy re-release would require a lot of balance changes because everyone would be Noob Saibot. A lot of characters are fundamentally broken because every character was tossed into the UMK3 engine with no regard just to put out a game. Don't think it would be worth the effort OR pissing everyone off who wanted a pure, unchanged experience.

Did anyone else buy this for $2 on there PSN sale? Lemme know if anyone wants to run some MK2. I have the game on both PS3 and 360.

PSN: emperorbohe
Xbox Live: Emperor Bohe

I wonder if there's anyone else here from the old Kaillera days haha

isamu

Did anyone else buy this for $2 on there PSN sale? Lemme know if anyone wants to run some MK2. I have the game on both PS3 and 360.

PSN: emperorbohe
Xbox Live: Emperor Bohe

I wonder if there's anyone else here from the old Kaillera days haha

I have both versions of MK2 on PSN, but the best place to play them with good netcode is mamehub. Lots of MK activity on there.

ggs to boutdown

Lemme know if anyone else wants in on this MK2 online action

I have both versions of MK2 on PSN, but the best place to play them with good netcode is mamehub. Lots of MK activity on there.

I'll check it out. I wonder if the other MK2 Kaillera players from 10 years ago are still there, those lobbies used to be so much fun haha.

Top Bottom