• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - August 31st Release |OT| (almost) Sega Saturn'd

I'm not gonna lie, I could never go back to an older MK after 9. Their digitized style is fun for nostalgia, but the new one is the closest MK has been to being a legit fighting game, by a wide margin.

Slamtastic said:
I'm not gonna lie, I could never go back to an older MK after 9. Their digitized style is fun for nostalgia, but the new one is the closest MK has been to being a legit fighting game, by a wide margin.

At least the price is cheap enough where you don't mind buying it and only playing a few minutes here and there.

fernoca

Yeah. Cyber Smoke + teleport punch.
Easily countered by block + Uppercut..which made some quit because they had no other strategy and I was "obviously" cheating by blocking those teleports.

fernoca

Other Ocean also did the Ultimate MK3 port for the Nintendo DS and Dark Void Zero for the Nintendo DSiWare. So the Kollection was in good hands at least.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wow, that is soon. Maybe if a few friends will play with me, I'll pick it up on a 33/50% off sale.

fernoca

Persona7 said:
Is their a licensing problem keeping MK4 from being re-released?
Not that I know of.
But the team (and some of the public) dont have many fond memories of the game. Many found the combination of MK4 and the second movie (Annihilation) as two of the lower points of the series.

I do remember mentions of a few internal problems during developments, as Midway was meddling with the team too much forcing the addition/removal of characters, and other misc. things.

Nemesis_

I wouldn't mind a port of MK Gold. I am sure everyone hates it, heck I kind of do too (why doesn't Kitana have her Fan as a weapon? Or Mileena have her Sais?) but I would like to relive that experience again, for some reason.

I know, I am masochistic.

I liked the fact that it kept the classic kind of mechanics (Uppercuts, Sweeps, Low/High Punch/Kick) in the 3D setting. But I guess it also shows you can't move a 2D system into a 3D arena and hope it all works out perfectly. =/

joshwaan

Hell Yes!!

I hope Mk2 is Arcade perfect, all the ports have been close, but things like missing shadows in level piss me off a little. Midway Arcade treasures 2 I'm looking at you :p

Nemesis_

@MUWANdo said:
I can't watch the MKast - does it actually address/describe the Kollection itself in any meaningful way?

Nope, just explains the development of the original games a little bit.

fernoca

Eurocult said:
I know it drops August 30th, but does anyone know what time (Eastern, USA) this will be available on PSN?
US-PSN doesn't update at any specific time; which is the reason of the usual joke regarding "whenever Grance Chen feels like". :p

Could be 5PM, could be 10PM.

GrayFoxPL said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyH8ozwWoiQ

Kollection trailer.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...edium=social&utm_campaign=mortalkombat_082911

Blog feature by Boon.

The games look suspiciously slow in that trailer. Like slower then they should be.

The first set of gameplay shots were a tiny, tiny bit slow, then the last set with the MK1 and 2 fatalities were fine. Pretty sure it's just the video, but devs have a special way of fucking up rereleases sometimes, so I'll wait for reviews too...

Eurocult

fernoca said:
US-PSN doesn't update at any specific time; which is the reason of the usual joke regarding "whenever Grance Chen feels like". :p

Could be 5PM, could be 10PM.

bah! I remember going through this waiting for the RE5 DLC last year. I figured maybe they got their shit together by now.

Ocaso

GrayFoxPL said:
The games look suspiciously slow in that trailer. Like slower then they should be.

The gamma also looks off in the trailers, like the grays are way lighter than they should be. I imagine there's some setting to fix that, but it's worrisome that they left it that way in the trailers.

Iknos

Wasn't aware of this game's existence until just now. So pretty much Saturn'd for me.

Texting all my buds about this news after I submit this message lol

StuBurns

Banned
I missed this thread, I heard about it coming to Steam the other day.

I don't understand, we had a thread like a month ago showing leaks of this, saying it was canned, but it was a literal remake, this is a port?

Satchel

Banned
Hard to justify.

I have MK2 on PSN and Ultimate MK 3 on Saturn and 360.

Hard to make it worth it JUST for Mortal Kombat 1.

StuBurns said:
I missed this thread, I heard about it coming to Steam the other day.

I don't understand, we had a thread like a month ago showing leaks of this, saying it was canned, but it was a literal remake, this is a port?

Right, most likely emulating the Arcade ROMs, maybe with some hooks for very specific things. The other thing was an actual "rebuild the game in HD" attempt, using brand new actors.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I already have MK2 on PSN....but I fucking NEED UMK3 so Ill bend over and pay 10 bucks just for that.

StuBurns

Banned
Kulock said:
Right, most likely emulating the Arcade ROMs, maybe with some hooks for very specific things. The other thing was an actual "rebuild the game in HD" attempt, using brand new actors.
Interesting, for a second I thought that was grand hoax, which would have been pretty impressive. Ports I actually find much more interesting for whatever reason.

fernoca

Yep. The HD collection was the original with with remade HD backgrounds and new actors/pictures in HD. That was canned.

This is just a collection of the 3 games in original form with online-play and leaderboards.

Since MKII on PSN costs $5 and has no voicechat, and UMK3 was delisted from the Marketplace; for $10 is a nice deal to those looking for the "whole package" at least.

Jaxter09 said:
They should have just released trilogy instead
I would love a refiltered and rebalanced Mortal Kombat Trilogy, but it looks like Mortal Kombat 10 will probably be much closer to true Mortal Kombat nirvana with all the characters and whatnot

Apath

Holy shit, this is only $10? Marking this one for a future purchase when I get around to buying PSN point cards..

Khezu

I hope they eventually do a arcade perfect port of MK4, not the best game in the series, but it was interesting, and for a 3D game from that era, it has aged rather well, well the arcade version, not so much the console ports.

What would be even cooler is if they were willing to do a 4th revision on the game, a few things would make that game much better.

-Just flat out remove the ability to side step, force it to be played on the 2D plane.
-Remove the weapon system and the rocks and skulls on the floor.
-Remove Maximum damage. its mortal kombat, infinites are awesome.
-Also just some general gameplay tweaks, like nerfing scorpion and tanya.

If possible add in the gold characters from the dreamcast port, kitana, mileena, cyrax, sektor, baraka, kung lao. Would probably be too much effort, but eh.

I can dream.

Hopefully this version of UMK3 doesn't suffer from the same issue the previous XBLA release had: the backgrounds not rotating so that it's always Scorpion's Lair in the background. Shit was fucking annoying.

Top Bottom