• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - August 31st Release |OT| (almost) Sega Saturn'd

GrayFoxPL

Mr_Zombie said:
I remember an unofficial patch that replaced characters from PC version with those from MK4 Gold for Dreamcast; that patch alone already made a big difference graphic-wise (although it was really buggy).
Does the arcade version look even better, or was the Dreamcast version a 1:1 port?

Arcade version looks infinitely better. Models have much greater amount of polygons, more detailed textures and effects, fog, rain. All home ports have the same shitty low poly models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P_QDgcvhlc&feature=player_detailpage#t=98s

I watched much better quality vids but it's hell to find them.

Someone needs to confirm immediately if the UMK3 online stage rotation glitch from the original XBLA October 2006 release has been fixed.

GrayFoxPL

Khezu said:
Honestly I find the arcade version of MK4 to be more visually appealing the any of the PS2 games.

Because it is. Had better art, 10 times more speed and dynamic. Was much more fun.

arit

Filters in action

Hyzj9.jpg

and "cabinet"

0WiJF.jpg

UMK3 secret characters are not playable from the beginning and since new game release and germany is not that good combination to test online performance, I sadly cannot deliver experience. But you can choose between friendly and ranked matches, and private/public, but there seems to be a 2player limit.

UMK3 movelist even lists chaincombos and is usable(at least offline) during finishing phase.

DryvBy

Mr_Zombie said:
I remember an unofficial patch that replaced characters from PC version with those from MK4 Gold for Dreamcast; that patch alone already made a big difference graphic-wise (although it was really buggy).
Does the arcade version look even better, or was the Dreamcast version a 1:1 port?

Wait..wait... Mortal Kombat Gold was MK4 Gold? If so, my mind is Kurt Cobain blown.

*Edit after google search: Blown! Whoa, I played this game for years and hardly had touched MK4. I had it on PC but got a Dreamcast shortly after and got MK Gold a year or so later. Man, I had literally no idea.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks arit!

Painted lol!

Klassic or arcade for me.

They went overboard with "cabinet blob", games in arcades didn't look like that.

Thanks arit! Painted 1 and 2 look exactly the same. I still can't decide which of those filters looks the best. I'll probably have to just see it for myself.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Why the fuck are they not unlocked from the start? And is this the same bullshit with the original XBLA port where they dodn't stay unlocked?

Gintamen

arit said:
Filters in action

http://i.imgur.com/Hyzj9.jpg[/IMG*]

and "cabinet"

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0WiJF.jpg[/IMG*]

UMK3 secret characters are not playable from the beginning and since new game release and germany is not that good combination to test online performance, I sadly cannot deliver experience. But you can choose between friendly and ranked matches, and private/public, but there seems to be a 2player limit.

UMK3 movelist even lists chaincombos and is usable(at least offline) during finishing phase.[/QUOTE]
Did you buy it from german PSN, not AT or so? I think MK is the most indexed game here.-_-

Arcade filter looks so nice. :D

fernoca

AnEternalEnigma said:
You've got to be fucking kidding me. Why the fuck are they not unlocked from the start? And is this the same bullshit with the original XBLA port where they dodn't stay unlocked?
If it's like their DS port, they will stay unlocked after you unlock them Part of the "thing" from the arcade was the use of thsoe codes. Granted, on this case you need 2 controllers; while in the DS one 1.

In any case, so anyone could give a try. Choose the first tower and lose the match. Then (remember 2 controllers):
#1: [High Punch - Low Punch - Block - Low Kick - High Kick ] #2 [High Punch - Low Punch - Block - Low Kick - High Kick ]

Mileena
2-2-2-6-4-2-2-2-6-4
Player 1: HP: 2, LP: 2, BL: 2, LK:6, HK: 4
Player 2: HP: 2, LP: 2, BL: 2, LK:6, HK: 4
tdne3.gif

Ermac
1-2-3-4-4-4-4-3-2-1
Player 1: HP: 1, LP: 2, BL: 3, LK: 4, HK: 4
Player 2: HP: 4, LP: 4, BL: 3, LK: 2, HK: 1
lZdDD.gif

Sub-Zero
8-1-8-3-5-8-1-8-3-5
Player 1: HP: 8, LP: 1, BL: 8, LK: 3, HK: 5
Player 2: HP: 8, LP: 1, BL: 8, LK: 3, HK: 5
NGkZB.gif

Also, to play as Human Smoke; press and hold Back + High Punch + High Kick + Block + Run

EDIT:
Oh cool!
Characters stay unlocked and no need for 2 controllers?!
|
|
V

arit

Characters stay unlocked, and thanks to being able to pause the game on demand, it is even possible to unlock them alone(------------------> as in "with two controllers").

Did you buy it from german PSN, not AT or so? I think MK is the most indexed game here.-_-

From an us account.

Toki767

Those Kombat Kodes bring back memories. Pretty tempted to pick this up but I'd like more impressions first. I never did really learn how much MK9 compared to UMK3.

arit

No Training Mode, but proper button configuration done the right way, ie. highlight action, press wanted button, even the movelist takes this into account.

arit said:
No Training Mode, but proper button configuration done the right way, ie. highlight action, press wanted button, even the movelist takes this into account.
That's good.

It's wild how Capcom and Netherrealm can get it right in their download games, but not their bigger retail ones.

Frankfurt

Banned
The CRT version looks better than in Third Strike, but still not as glorious as Final Fight's. The net is filled with high-res-enough scans and pics of arcade faces. Should be easy as pie for NRS and Capcom to get in touch and use those in their games... I bet some guys would allow them to use them for free...

Such a wasted opportunity.

GrayFoxPL

Stitch said:
oh man, so good. i wish they would release 4 instead of 1-3... again

I guess too much work to port Zeus MK4. :/ People try to emulate it on mame but shit luck.

MK1-3 is just easy cash - throw the roms and go.

Personally I'm buying the Kollection solely for MK1 because there isn't an arcade perfect port anywhere of this.

fernoca

AnEternalEnigma said:
http://www.twitch.tv/zaq_mk

This dude is streaming it live. Every online game he's played as been a lag fest.
Watched one with some lag and then 2 others with not much. Then again he's the host and is also streaming the game. Some lag was expected; but not unplayable lag like that one match I saw first. The entire thing was in slow-motion. :p

shuri

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Someone needs to confirm immediately if the UMK3 online stage rotation glitch from the original XBLA October 2006 release has been fixed.
it was in the original arcade version you noob!

-- Lag
-- No names under lifebars in online mode
-- Lag
-- No spectator mode in UMK3, when the 2006 version had one
-- Lag

Not looking good.

fernoca

Yeah, but impressions from people that are not streaming the game are also welcome. Some matches he played had a lot of lag, others didn't; so there's obviously something more than just the netcode sucking. :p (Unless he's using 2 spearte internet connections one to play the game and one to stream)

Then again, most will say that it's a lag-fest and they want their $10 back. :p

TheHakku

fernoca said:
It wouldn't surprise if part of the reason was also to just get more sticks out, as the new sticks will be released this week (with the MKI colors/layout) and include a code to download this Kollection.
Speaking of that, got mine, and still no luck with my code. 80023156 error all over the place. Anyone else getting that? I'd be relieved if they just haven't activated the codes, but I wish they had by now. :/

fernoca

TheHakku said:
Speaking of that, got mine, and still no luck with my code. 80023156 error all over the place. Anyone else getting that? I'd be relieved if they just haven't activated the codes, but I wish they had by now. :/
Yep. Try again in a few hours, if not you might need to contact WB. :/

Though the sticks/codes where originally dated for August 31, so maybe tomorrow? Contact them in any case, if it doesn't work today.

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
I'd like MK1 online impressions. It's a pretty slow game so lag may be less of an issue, no?
On that stream he had no problems doing Sub's fatality and moving around; then again the game's slow per se so it's hard to tell. :p But he seems to be changing games constantly; so it also seems changing games is relatively easy and he just goes back to the online lobbies and looks for a match.

GrayFoxPL

fernoca said:
On that stream he had no problems doing Sub's fatality and moving around; then again the game's slow per se so it's hard to tell. :p But he seems to be changing games constantly; so it also seems changing games is relatively easy and he just goes back to the online lobbies and looks for a match.

Doesn't sound bad.
Can you see all 3 games in lobby or is it individuall lobby per game?

If this doesn't come out tomorrow in euro psn I'm gonna choke a bitch.

GrayFoxPL said:
I guess too much work to port Zeus MK4. :/ People try to emulate it on mame but shit luck.

MK1-3 is just easy cash - throw the roms and go.

Personally I'm buying the Kollection solely for MK1 because there isn't an arcade perfect port anywhere of this.
MK1 is my childhood so I favor this collection for that arcade version too.

Visually speaking, each game looks great. I'm glad they at least included some filters, and I'll be using the one with scan-lines probably forever. The CRT display mode is also appreciated, though as some have already said, it's quite exaggerated. I also wish they could have included the original bezel art for each one, too.

Now, on the audio front, there are some terrible issues in all three games. Voices cut off too short (i.e. Scorpion/Human Smoke in UMK3 will just say "Get" when the spear connects), music stops suddenly, and there are many incorrect effects happening in certain spots. This needs major attention by Other Ocean/NR.

And the online, from what little I have played of it, is thus far quite bad. Lots o' lag, for sure.

Pretty disappointing, honestly. It seems like these games are cursed to never see a proper 'arcade perfect' emulation execution. I was going to pick this up on XBLA as well at some point, but if they don't fix the audio and online problems eventually, I certainly won't be double-dipping.

GrayFoxPL

MyEpitomeCliché said:
Now, on the audio front, there are some terrible issues in all three games. Voices cut off too short (i.e. Scorpion/Human Smoke in UMK3 will just say "Get" when the spear connects), music stops suddenly, and there are many incorrect effects happening in certain spots. This needs major attention by Other Ocean/NR.

WHAT.THE.FUCK.

idqsJDWpOuv9N.gif

Maybe the uploaded some alpha version by mistake?

Top Bottom