• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection - August 31st Release |OT| (almost) Sega Saturn'd

fernoca

AnEternalEnigma said:
Hopefully this version of UMK3 doesn't suffer from the same issue the previous XBLA release had: the backgrounds not rotating so that it's always Scorpion's Lair in the background. Shit was fucking annoying.
I remember some of the arcades having that "glitch".
Basically the backgrounds rotated, if you didn't uppercut anyone in Hell (to Shao Kahn's Throne). That way the order continued.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Hopefully this version of UMK3 doesn't suffer from the same issue the previous XBLA release had: the backgrounds not rotating so that it's always Scorpion's Lair in the background. Shit was fucking annoying.

Also you could not remap your buttons for arcade sticks in the XBLA version of UMK3.

Haeleos

I've always wondered in MK3, is Kung Lao wearing shades (that look like a PSP) in his avatar or is that supposed to be a shadow from his hat? I'm assuming it's a shadow but it seems to end in this weird light reflection and the shadow doesn't continue around his head...

AppleMIX

Jaxter09 said:
Yes, but they could re-balance it. It would be better to have the whole online community on 1 game instead of across 3.

No they couldn't. Shao Kahn ruins everything. :p

So this will be on Steam right?

fernoca

Haeleos said:
I've always wondered in MK3, is Kung Lao wearing shades (that look like a PSP) in his avatar or is that supposed to be a shadow from his hat? I'm assuming it's a shadow but it seems to end in this weird light reflection and the shadow doesn't continue around his head...
Shadow. :p

UqHiA.gif

Haeleos said:

I always knew it was a shadow, but now I can't unsee. Thanks a ton.

fernoca said:
I remember some of the arcades having that "glitch".
Basically the backgrounds rotated, if you didn't uppercut anyone in Hell (to Shao Kahn's Throne). That way the order continued.

Ah yes! That was a bug in one of the early revisions of UMK3. It was eventually fixed.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's ridiculous how little press they've done for this release. I could rattle off a laundry list of features being added to 3SO yet I don't know a damn thing about this release at all. Of course, that suggests that there's probably no extra features worth mentioning, but I'm gonna remain as optimistic as possible and assume the game has GGPO and replay sharing and a spectator mode and dipswitch toggles and scanline options and everything else I might want and that NR/Other Ocean just haven't told us. Yeah.

Aesthet1c

I'm kind of disappointed with this announcement. I thought they were working on an HD remake of it. I know that would be near impossible to convert those sprites to HD, but I was really excited to see what they could have done.

Either way, it's an awesome collection and I will get it.

fernoca

@MUWANdo said:
It's ridiculous how little press they've done for this release. I could rattle off a laundry list of features being added to 3SO yet I don't know a damn thing about this release at all. Of course, that suggests that there's probably no extra features worth mentioning, but I'm gonna remain as optimistic as possible and assume the game has GGPO and replay sharing and a spectator mode and dipswitch toggles and scanline options and everything else I might want and that NR/Other Ocean just haven't told us. Yeah.
Yeah, but no. Plus all the positive news of 3SO over the months turned into negative backlash when after released, many were complaining about laggy netcode (because GGPO not been an official version or something like that), or quickmatches not working, or YouTube Uploading not working.

The reason of the silence regarding this Kollection is basically:
-There's not much to say. Is the 3 games with online, leaderboards, voicechat and trophies/achivements. Which is what the original press release said months ago.

-The "2011 game" is still selling great and way better than they expected.

-This was originally planned to be an "HD remake", but because the quality wasn't the best (like many technical aspects -apparenlty- needing to photograph the new actors in the exact same positions of the original ones; among many other things); WB just decided to release as a "klassic kollection" to recoup some of the lost money trying to make the HD-one.

-Because for the most part this games aren't in this services. (MKII is available for $5 on PS3/PSN but lacks voice chat and netcode is problematic). UMK3 was completelty removed from Xbox Live Marketplace, so new people had no way on buying it.

It wouldn't surprise if part of the reason was also to just get more sticks out, as the new sticks will be released this week (with the MKI colors/layout) and include a code to download this Kollection.

Aesthet1c said:
I'm kind of disappointed with this announcement. I thought they were working on an HD remake of it. I know that would be near impossible to convert those sprites to HD, but I was really excited to see what they could have done.

Either way, it's an awesome collection and I will get it.
They were doing that, but they canned the project.

Moofers

I want to know if the ports are actually arcade perfect or if they are the shitty "Midway Classics Collection" versions. Those had real annoying things going on like stages with no background music. Trohpies and online play don't mean shit to me, but being completely arcade perfect does.

shuri

Banned
It would be awesome if there was a way to play the unofficial hacks from back in the days..

I'm talking about the Mortal Kombat Turbo Ninja hack, which is pretty much what is says, MK Turbo, with tons of new juggles and so on. It's really hard to go back to regular MK after that, it feels so slow!

For MK2, the classic Challenger hack that adds a randomized combat ladder, faster fireballs, red shadows for Johnny Cage, and other misc tweaks

And for UMK3, the juggernaut edition is awesome. It adds selectable Noob Saibot and Human Smoke from the main menu, stage tweaks and new combat ladders with extra endurance matches..

@MUWANdo said:
Maybe they saw 3rd Strike and were embarrassed that Capcom was doing so much more. I mean, I think thats why they only priced this at $10. I think you can justify spending $3.33 on each game with online play as is. But they definitely dropped the ball by not going through with the HD Kollection plan. At the very least they should have cleaned up the UI to be HD and they could've done more like include every revision of every game and remake a better version of MK Trilogy which included every version of every character from every game. Even if they applied an HQ2xS filter to the image I'd be happy-- the game looks a lot better with it IMO.

Galdelico

Satchel said:
Hard to justify.

I have MK2 on PSN and Ultimate MK 3 on Saturn and 360.

Hard to make it worth it JUST for Mortal Kombat 1.
Same situation, minus Saturn MKIII.

I'm getting it anyway (still have to decide if on PS3 or 360), since this time the emulation seems a tad better: PSN MKII had some missing details - such the fighters' shadows on Dead Pool - which appear to be fine here.

Only thing I hope is that a few video settings (smoothing on/off, scanlines...) will be put into this Kollection.

fernoca

Dreamer RD said:
No Rain and Noob Saibot in UMK3? I recall playing as them in some arcade hall back in 1990's.
Noob Saibot and Rain were only playable/selectable on the home versions of UMK3 and MK Trilogy. In fact, Rain wasn't in the arcade game at all, except on the preview that played while noone was playing (and he was put on purpose there to make people guess/talk about him).

Moofers said:
I want to know if the ports are actually arcade perfect or if they are the shitty "Midway Classics Collection" versions. Those had real annoying things going on like stages with no background music. Trohpies and online play don't mean shit to me, but being completely arcade perfect does.
Other Ocean's previous MK game (UMK3 on DS) was a port of the arcade version. At the moment the games are direct ports, but we'll know for sure probably later today if people notice the same glitches that MKII and MK3 had in those collections.

teh_J0kerer said:
Will wait for netcode reports.

Didn't buy MK9 because of the shitty netcode, will do the same here if it happens again.
Too bad you're missing a great game that does have a (depending on who you ask)decent netcode. Of course it varies, but if anything it is "as bad" as Marvel vs Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6 (after patch), SoulCalibur IV and Virtua Figther 5. If you had problems with all those games too; then yeah you might have problems with MK.

It is no BlazBlue, but then again neither Third Strike Online is like Blazblue.

The Lamonster said:
Is this out on the NA PSN yet?
NA PSN usually updates based on California..or something and it's like 6/7AM there. Maybe in 5 more hours, maybe less. They don't have a specific time.

Well I am pumped as hell. I already own these games in a number of different forms, but this release looks very promising to look and play great and be faithful to the arcade versions.

I still remember playing the shit out of these games on my Genesis and looking up all the finishing moves in my Gamepro issues. Nothing beats MKII btw. Can't wait to blaze through it a few times tonight. Reptile FTW

GrayFoxPL

Khezu said:
I hope they eventually do a arcade perfect port of MK4, not the best game in the series, but it was interesting, and for a 3D game from that era, it has aged rather well, well the arcade version, not so much the console ports.
Omg. Someone other on the planet wants arcade MK4? High five!
MK4 on Zeus arcade looks 5 classes better then the cheap ports.
Boon, do something.

Haeleos said:

Lol yeah it always looked like shades.

fernoca said:
Noob Saibot and Rain were only playable/selectable on the home versions of UMK3 and MK Trilogy. In fact, Rain wasn't in the arcade game at all, except on the preview that played while noone was playing (and he was put on purpose there to make people guess/talk about him).
There was a version of UMK3 (wavenet) which had Noob playable and Human Smoke with his own select screen box but no one has ever found a board. I'm sure Boon has one stashed in his closet. Damn you Boon!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
zoner said:
If I buy this, will I be directly supporting a Shaolin Monks XBLA port?

Have no interest in old Mortal Kombat games (especially with MK9 available), but I'd buy Shaolin Monks on XBLA or PSN.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Could someone try out the singleplayer and let me know if the difficulty is still ridiculous? I'd mostly be buying this for SP, but not if the difficulty is still at the level it was at on the MKII PSN port.

GrayFoxPL

johntown said:
Does anyone know if this version of 3 will have the Cyborg Smoke? That is really the only character I care to play and I was not happy that they brought almost every player back in the new one except for Cyborg Smoke.

He's there.

fernoca

Yeah, Cyber Smoke's in Ultimate MK3. He wasn't in the new one for story's sake. :p

And yep, 222MB is "normal" if anything. Basically 74MB per game, plus the added netcode, borders, misc. things. The original UMK3 on XBLA was under 40MB..or something like that.

MKII on PS3 was over 100MB (I think?) though, so maybe that's why there's some surprise.

arit

MK2 Standalone installed: 248MB
MKK installed: 222MB

And I'm beeing greeted by a 29MB v1.01 software update...

EDIT:
"Powered by Unreal Technology" Splashscreen...

It has buttonconfig, highlight action and press a button.
Filters: Klassic, Painted1, Painted2, Smooth, Arcade // Arcade seems to add scanlines
Display: Standard, Cabinet // Cabinet adds CRT display "curves"

Game has in-game movelist with all fatalities, filters and display are changeable in-game

fernoca said:
Yeah, Cyber Smoke's in Ultimate MK3. He wasn't in the new one for story's sake. :p

And yep, 222MB is "normal" if anything. Basically 74MB per game, plus the added netcode, borders, misc. things. The original UMK3 on XBLA was under 40MB..or something like that.

MKII on PS3 was over 100MB (I think?) though, so maybe that's why there's some surprise.
Hmm... I guess they might be including higher quality sound/music? Or at least encoded in a different format? The original game ROMs are not that big if I'm not mistaken.

arit said:

EDIT:

Filters: Klassic, Painted1, Painted2, Smooth, Arcade // Arcade seems to add scanlines

Game has in-game movelist with all fatalities, filters and display are changeable in-game
Fuck yes, some filters. I'm hoping one of them is equivalent to HQ2xS.

arit said:

EDIT:

Thanks for the info...how does it play?

arit said:

EDIT:

Game has in-game movelist with all fatalities,
filters and display are changeable in-game
FUCK YES. I had been bugging Ed Boon on Twitter about this to no response...

Mr_Zombie

GrayFoxPL said:
Omg. Someone other on the planet wants arcade MK4? High five!
MK4 on Zeus arcade looks 5 classes better then the cheap ports.
Boon, do something.

I remember an unofficial patch that replaced characters from PC version with those from MK4 Gold for Dreamcast; that patch alone already made a big difference graphic-wise (although it was really buggy).
Does the arcade version look even better, or was the Dreamcast version a 1:1 port?

Top Bottom