• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition (PC) |OT| A Warrior's Death

Erudite

I'm using this drive for the sixaxis:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

The problem with this piece of software is that it has to take over an entire bluetooth adapter for the PS3 controller and it isn't compatible with all bluetooth adapters. I use a second bluetooth keyboard in my living room so I needed to buy a second compatible bluetooth adapter just for the sixaxis controller. I bought this adapter because it's highly rated and suggested by the developer of this particular software:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Now it works just like you'd want it to. I use the PS button to turn it on and it connects. I hold L1 R1 and the PS button to disconnect.
Thanks mate! I have an unused Bluetooth dongle, hopefully it's compatible. If so, it'll make this more enticing when it hits the right price... And make Rogue Legacy a little easier to play compared to a 360 pad.

You probably have the same problem me and impact had (and every single other dual card/nvidia optimus owner had). If that's the case, here's the solution I found, I'm pretty sure it'll work: (impact verified it worked for him as well)

Thanks! Once I get a hold of a second monitor, I'll try this out.

It's a good game but I guess my expectations were different. I've wanted another serious MK game for a long time; something that's closer to the atmosphere of 1, 2 and 3. I thought this was going to be it, but it's not. The character models and images are almost cartoony. The cheesy, pre-round taunts are lame and remind me of poorly translated sayings from Japanese fighting games. The game looks good in motion but those character models close up are pretty ugly.

I love the music and sfx and the controls feel pretty good, but overall it just doesn't have the atmosphere I was hoping it would.

Guess its back to the waiting game for me. Full blown next gen version, maybe?

It was very much their intention to make a game in the same tone as the original trilogy or at least MK 2 and 3 and I thought they did a pretty good job. Outside of the first game, I don't think the series was ever very serious.

I've wanted another serious MK game for a long time; something that's closer to the atmosphere of 1, 2 and 3. I thought this was going to be it, but it's not. The character models and images are almost cartoony. The cheesy, pre-round taunts are lame and remind me of poorly translated sayings from Japanese fighting games.

I love the music and sfx and the controls feel pretty good, but overall it just doesn't have the atmosphere I was hoping it would.

Maybe this might be more what you're looking for?

Maybe this might be more what you're looking for?

tumblr_inline_mjijntOASF1qz4rgp.gif

I like the stage there though. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for in MK.

scitek

Every online match I've had has been laggy, which accentuates just how awful I am at this game. It's the first fighting game I'm giving an honest try since like MK3, though, so...

impact

Banned
Every online match I've had has been laggy, which accentuates just how awful I am at this game. It's the first fighting game I'm giving an honest try since like MK3, though, so...

It's pretty easy to learn combos and setups compared to most other games but it's pretty hard to do all that shit in lag anyway soooo.... yea. If it ain't 4 bar then don't even bother imo

RM8

It's a good game but I guess my expectations were different. I've wanted another serious MK game for a long time; something that's closer to the atmosphere of 1, 2 and 3. I thought this was going to be it, but it's not. The character models and images are almost cartoony. The cheesy, pre-round taunts are lame and remind me of poorly translated sayings from Japanese fighting games. The game looks good in motion but those character models close up are pretty ugly.

Funny, I was just thinking that it's lacking the usual MK humor of other games :p

I'm loving this, guys. I'll probably grab it on PS3 at some point, I really shouldn't have skipped it. It took some determination from me to "get it" because I admittedly prefer other style of fighters, but now I can say a Mortal Kombat game hadn't clicked so much with me gameplay-wise probably since Mortal Kombat 2, no joke. And there's so much content! I usually defend skimpy fighters like SoulCalibu V or Tekken 3D Prime Edition because I consider them good if the gameplay is there, but I've been having a pretty great time with the story mode in this. Fun game, glad I bought it. Is Injustice similar to this? I'm guessing it is, I might have to try it now.

catabarez

OKAY. Some modding updates.

#1, some dude on Guru3D trying to make higher quality cutscenes using the PS3 version: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4632725&postcount=284

#2, another dude on Guru3D posted a coalesced.ini unpacker/packer: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4632821&postcount=285

Just tested out the coalesced unpacker and it totally works. Fuck yeah. It's late so I won't mess around much, but this game will be very moddable very soon now I think :)

I can't see any of the images for the cutscenes :( how did they look?

Skunkers

I think it's pretty awesome. My main problems are that the screams are still terrible (I feel like the voice work in MK games has been terrible ever since after MK2) and the GUI. Versus screens look bad. This game would have been perfect if the weird ass bright orange lettering and such wasn't ruining the tone, imagine this same game but with the MK2 black marble style GUI. As far as the graphics, gameplay, and probably 90% of the stages, they nailed it.

SuperBonk

Anybody know where the save files are for this game? I mean, I know this game has a very strange way of handling saves in the first place, but I was wondering if there was a way to restart story mode without beating it and starting it up again.

Nice to hear we might be getting higher quality cutscenes. It's so silly this isn't a standard feature, stop compressing your fucking videos developers.

I don't know, it really depends on how big it makes the install. I remember hearing that it was the cutscenes that made Star Wars: TFU II a 30+GB download.

If I have to choose between 30GB with uncompressed video and 8GB with compressed video, I'll take the latter.

I don't know, it really depends on how big it makes the install. I remember hearing that it was the cutscenes that made Star Wars: TFU II a 30+GB download.

If I have to choose between 30GB with uncompressed video and 8GB with compressed video, I'll take the latter.

I just don't think it's a problem these days for many people. I have a 2TB drive with several 1 TB ones lying around, quite cheap. I can understand not wanting to have people who don't have that benefit or internet speed to have to download them, but at the very least offer it somewhere. DVDs are cheap to produce these days as well, but it's not like publishers bother with most pc games these days on a wide level.

The big problem is they usually aren't very careful or elegent about it either. They just compress to absurd levels, comes off as laziness which is an incredible shame. Especially given the amount of time and budget that goes into the cutscenes.

I just don't think it's a problem these days for many people. I have a 2TB drive with several 1 TB ones lying around, quite cheap. I can understand not wanting to have people who don't have that benefit or internet speed to have to download them, but at the very least offer it somewhere. DVDs are cheap to produce these days as well, but it's not like publishers bother with most pc games these days on a wide level.

The big problem is they usually aren't very careful or elegent about it either. They just compress to absurd levels, comes off as laziness which is an incredible shame. Especially given the amount of time and budget that goes into the cutscenes.

For the amount of time you actually see them compared to the rest of the game, it's really not worth it, IMO.

I have unlimited internet, but not everyone does -- 30GB is an awful lot for some people. Plus my connection is only 1MB/s, so 30GB literally takes over 8 hours for me to download.

Plus, I have a 2TB 5200RPM, a 640GB 7200RPM and a 120GB SSD, so space isn't really an issue for me either, but some may just have an SSD.

Like I said, if you want to add a mod, that's cool. Or maybe they could have a high-res video pack, like Sleeping Dogs has a high-res texture pack. But I absolutely do not think they should make 30GB downloads a standard.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Ummm... what exactly is a serious Mortal Kombat game, exactly?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

#1, some dude on Guru3D trying to make higher quality cutscenes using the PS3 version: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4632725&postcount=284

#2, another dude on Guru3D posted a coalesced.ini unpacker/packer: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4632821&postcount=285

Just tested out the coalesced unpacker and it totally works. Fuck yeah. It's late so I won't mess around much, but this game will be very moddable very soon now I think :)

Thanks for sharing this.

I tried editing some stuff but most was a total bust. My mine goal in mind was allowing any resolution, enabling dev commands through inputs, and/or forcing 120fps.

I was able to get the game to run at double speed, then I tried slowing the game down with an external program to 1/2x and that just put the game into 30fps. Then I tried the reverse, run the game at half speed and external program force double time, but that just gave the regular smooth 60fps and didn't show anything above.

Then I tried changing "minimumrequiredFrameRate" to 30 to see if you could force larger resolutions whose HZ were lower than 60 and again, no dice. Defaults to the 60hz one.

If anyone has some recommendations for how to force the game to be windowed I could look into any of that but sort of bummed for the night, nothing much really ended up being fruitful!

For the record, the PC movies are 4.61 GB. I'm assuming these are ripped straight off the 360 version. The PS3 movies are apparently 6 GB. So I'm not sure if the reduction in quality is really worth the bandwidth saved IMO. It probably was more of a case that High Voltage was given the code for the 360 version and neither NRS or High Voltage thought about bringing over the PS3 movie files.

Khezu

MK8 was originally going to be some kind of gritty reboot in the vein of Gears of War.

But WB changed Midways mind with a big sack of cash, and we got MKvsDC.

MK8 was originally going to be some kind of gritty reboot in the vein of Gears of War.

But WB changed Midways mind with a big sack of cash, and we got MKvsDC.

To be fair, Midway probably wouldn't have survived as long as it did without that big sack of cash, and I doubt WB would have bought Midway if it wasn't for MKvsDC. I think Boon said one of the higher ups from WB had a son who really loved MKvsDC. It was why they ended up doing Injustice.

Khezu

To be fair, Midway probably wouldn't have survived as long as it did without that big sack of cash, and I doubt WB would have bought Midway if it wasn't for MKvsDC. I think Boon said one of the higher ups from WB had a son who really loved MKvsDC. It was why they ended up doing Injustice.

Oh I know, MKvsDC was the best decision they ever made. If they didn't make that game, who knows where they would be right now.

Apparently WB was the only people to even bid on Midway Chicago.

heres some more detailed info on the file formats, taken from the Steam Community forums for MK

Stone Cold said:
Yes, Kratos' assets are present in the .ini files, but sadly it's not a case of just copying his PS3 files over. The PS3 files are encoded in big endian format and for it to be compatible with the PC version it would need to be converted into little endian. It's possible to do it via hex editing the files, but it's a time consuming process. Here's hoping that one of the main PS3 modders can write a program that will do that process for us.

But I'll keep you guys updated with any developments :)

Nice to hear we might be getting higher quality cutscenes. It's so silly this isn't a standard feature, stop compressing your fucking videos developers.

The amount of compression is beyond excessive, I couldn't bare to play story mode with my headphones on. Sounded like one of those 5mb DBZ videos I used to download 12 years ago

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Everyones consistent mention of "Haha nude mods am I right guys? Like Mileena woo boy!" has gone from a goofy joke to backhanded requests.

No Love

Banned

Awesome, thanks for the links. Now I can start tweaking the settings for hopefully even better graphics. Will give it a shot when I get home.

Top Bottom