• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition (PC) |OT| A Warrior's Death

SparkTR

Is it just me and my noobiness in this or does the xbox gamepad totaly suck ass in this game?

When I want to perform something, the d-pad just does what it wants! If I plug DS3 into USB and connect it, will it be rocognized? If it need motionjoy then I have only xbox gamepad and keybord. Fu motionjoy.

I found my 360 controller unusable. There's a guide to enable the PS3 controller to function just like a 360 pad (plug and play), but I can't find it. Hopefully someone else can track it down.

WARNING: unorganized, unpunctuated impressions inc

* played about 5-7 hours yesterday (lost track) and beat the story mode on "Easy"

* had to lower the difficulty to "Beginner" for the last fight

* died many times even on Easy

* wireless 360 pad

* look at the inside of your index finger, you see the first line that goes across? the part that presses RT on the controller. that part of my finger is super sore and red color, just from one day of playing

* i'd say like half of my offense, half the damage i did, was just the uppercut

* it was very frustrating when skills don't work and you keep trying and trying and they don't register. maybe it's the 360 pad but most likely i'm just terrible. i'd like to finally play a fighting game where this shit just works. i remember the first time i was scorpion yesterday, looked up his move list for the spear, and i must have tried it like 10 times before it finally registered. i was pressing exactly what it asked. these games are not for baddies such as myself

* the amount of content in the game is unreal, loving it

* tried one online match last night after beating the story and the guy got flawless victory the first round and i hit him 2 or 3 times the second round

* overall the story mode was well-made and meaty, especially for a fighting game which aren't known for having narratives. but i must say some of the fights were just frustrating, they weren't fun. a lot of the time i wasn't having fun, especially the last third of the game. the fights with noob saibot with his teleport slam thing felt like work, i just wanted it to be over, if it wasn't the middle of the night i'd have been raging out loud. the longer i played the faster i wanted the story mode to end. i couldn't believe how many times that raiden's artifact
kept cracking... lol it had to be an intentional joke/camp? i was like holy shit not again

* graphics were pretty poor, lots of low-res texturing and low-poly models. cut scenes were especially bad. of course i expected this since all the assets were created for 7-year old hardware

* overall, well worth the $22 and change i paid for it. i'd have paid full price $29.99 too. excellent port at a good price, despite being a couple years late. i hope Injustice gets a port

dsk1210

Xbox controller is terrible for this.

I installed motioninjoy to use the ps3 controller, felt much better though.

I uninstalled the motioninjoy drivers, but what a nightmare they are to get rid off, they kept installing again over the top of the 360 wireless controller, just a warning.

PhaZZe

Banned

I uninstalled the motioninjoy drivers, but what a nightmare they are to get rid off, they kept installing again over the top of the 360 wireless controller, just a warning.

i dont know how but for me i can do everything with 360 stick, anyway is more easy with DS3 dpad

red731

I found my 360 controller unusable. There's a guide to enable the PS3 controller to function just like a 360 pad (plug and play), but I can't find it. Hopefully someone else can track it down.

I will look for it. Thank you.

I don't want to go OT up in this, but motionjoy on my laptop- when I tried to use my DS3 via bluetooth last year, fucked up my BT drivers(BT was not found on system level) and I couldn't get it to work. I may be the only one tho.

I must train harder!

* look at the inside of your index finger, you see the first line that goes across? the part that presses RT on the controller. that part of my finger is super sore and red color, just from one day of playing
nobody gets this or something similar? Am I pressing right trigger too hard or are my fingers just not used to fighting games (haven't played one since SF4 PC years ago)

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Bought it. Played it for a little bit (50 percent done with story mode). The humor is as sharp as it was hyped up to be. The whole thing is tastefully macabre. Cutscene compression is ass. Aside from the ninjas, I think a lot of the models are ugly. Overall, I'm having fun.

I hope MK10 is something completely different and maybe a bit more sophisticated in terms of gameplay and design (though I guess that would be too polarizing).

nobody gets this or something similar? Am I pressing right trigger too hard or are my fingers just not used to fighting games (haven't played one since SF4 PC years ago)

Got this too. I didn't realize it was connected. Me stupid.

hlhbk

I have never installed motioninjoy drivers because I have heard its impossible to get the drivers off. Can you please post the steps you took to remove them and get the 360 pad working?

Also just to verify once you install motioninjoy you can't use your 360 controller until they are gone right?

catabarez

I have never installed motioninjoy drivers because I have heard its impossible to get the drivers off. Can you please post the steps you took to remove them and get the 360 pad working?

Also just to verify once you install motioninjoy you can't use your 360 controller until they are gone right?

I've always been able to use my Xbox and PS3 controller at the same time with Motioninjoy.

Just wondering for people who are having issues with their 360 controllers-- are you using default drivers or custom drivers? I imagine this game was only tested using the default drivers.

The Cowboy

Love the game, but I just cannot get used the blocking using a button. It is ingrained in me to block by pressing back and I am finding it pretty hard to not do that (so many defeats caused by holding back expecting to block :(). Other than the known (by players - not sure by devs) online issues (and the graveyards horrid performance compared to other levels), its a bloody good game.
---
Also.
Didn't see it posted here so just in case people don't know.

You can force Ambient Occlusion via NVidia inspector using the Gears or Wars, Mirrors Edge and Warmonger flags (I find Warmonger to be the best), simply set the AO flag to Warmonger, the AO setting to HQ and the AO usage to enabled and you can have some nice AO (if you like that sort of thing).

Little comparison.
AO off.
e38t.jpg

AO on (Warmonger)
yefg.jpg

impact

Banned
POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOR YOUR PROBLEM: (I came up with it after seeing some posts with the dxdiag.txt set to 1024 trick on steam forums, like you probably did)

Ohhh I had the same problem with my laptop only recognizing my Intel integrated card instead of my Geforce GT525M. Here's a rundown of what I did:

The problem is that the game uses the Directx Diagnostic to figure out what card you have and on double cards the tool only recognizes the integrated one (you can see it for yourself by typing "dxdiag" into start -> run)

Now, here's the thing, you can put all your card's specifications into the game's dxdiag.txt file (it's located into User/AppData/Roaming/MKKE for others that see this and don't know) instead of the integrated specifications that appear and it will work fine! (I set the file to read-only to make sure)

Now, here's the sorta tricky part: how do you figure all those complicated parts of the specification? (dll files used, deinterlace caps etc.)

Here's my trick: having used the laptop connected to a TV or second monitor, even when you unplug it, you can right-click your desktop and choose to change resolution, THEN IS THE TRICK, it should show other monitors, "activate" them all by clicking them and choosing "extend desktop to this display"

Now, go to dxdiag tool again and you'll see the various displays, one of them will have been assigned you real non-intel GPU, now choose "save all information" and you'll have a new dxdiag.txt. Now, copy the information from you card into the appropriate places in the MKKE directory's dxdiag.txt (don't just copy the file!) AND DONE! Game should run with your card! Woot! Hope this works for you as it did for me!

Worked for me, thanks man! Now I can run this pretty well as opposed to barely 60 at 720p with everything off. Still wish they'd patch this shit port, can't believe I had to do all that just to get a product working that I paid for.

Though really, 10 people online makes me wish I never bought this.

smh PC gamers

You can force Ambient Occlusion via NVidia inspector using the Gears or Wars, Mirrors Edge and Warmonger flags (I find Warmonger to be the best), simply set the AO flag to Warmonger, the AO setting to HQ and the AO usage to enabled and you can have some nice AO (if you like that sort of thing).

Little comparison.

Okay, I'm fairly comfortable with most PC settings, but AO always confused me. What is it, exactly?

Q8D3vil

Worked for me, thanks man! Now I can run this pretty well as opposed to barely 60 at 720p with everything off. Still wish they'd patch this shit port, can't believe I had to do all that just to get a product working that I paid for.

smh PC gamers

Releasing game after 2 years while its being sold for $15 new on console is not helping either.
Waiting for the eventual blame on piracy.

Beaulieu

* played about 5-7 hours yesterday (lost track) and beat the story mode on "Easy"

* had to lower the difficulty to "Beginner" for the last fight

* died many times even on Easy

* wireless 360 pad

* i'd say like half of my offense, half the damage i did, was just the uppercut

* it was very frustrating when skills don't work and you keep trying and trying and they don't register. maybe it's the 360 pad but most likely i'm just terrible. i'd like to finally play a fighting game where this shit just works. i remember the first time i was scorpion yesterday, looked up his move list for the spear, and i must have tried it like 10 times before it finally registered. i was pressing exactly what it asked. these games are not for baddies such as myself

that is just sad

antitrop

I've been using a Sixaxis on MotioninJoy from minute 1 and I've never had any problems inputting moves.

Sounds like 360 controller is fucked for this game. It's fucked for a lot of games, I find. That's why I usually just end up using the Sixaxis first off, anyway.

LTWheels

smh PC gamers

Steam says that just under 4k people are playing. May be try ranked matches and other modes instead of lobbies??

I've been using a Sixaxis on MotioninJoy from minute 1 and I've never had any problems inputting moves.

Sounds like 360 controller is fucked for this game. It's fucked for a lot of games, I find. That's why I usually just end up using the Sixaxis first off, anyway.

I have absolutely no problems with the 360 controller on most if not all modern games that support it. Hate to sound like a broken record and bring this up again, but the only time I've ever encountered issues with the 360 controller is when using a custom driver which doesn't account for the deadzone properly among other things. Haven't tried it out yet on MK9 but I definitely want to now after seeing more than a few complaints about this.

Steam says that just under 4k people are playing. May be try ranked matches and other modes instead of lobbies??

Yeah good point. I don't know why people are trying lobbies-- those are like a hold over from the PS2 era and only was useful for MK9 because matchmaking was broken for a solid month or two when the game launched on consoles.

Releasing game after 2 years while its being sold for $15 new on console is not helping either.
Waiting for the eventual blame on piracy.

Oh no, don't think that this game didn't sell well because of the lack of people in lobbies. I think we've already established that it having a concurrent peak of 5,200 players means that it probably sold well enough to justify the port despite it being so damn late.

impact

Banned
Yeah good point. I don't know why people are trying lobbies-- those are like a hold over from the PS2 era and only was useful for MK9 because matchmaking was broken for a solid month or two when the game launched on consoles.

Matchmaking doesn't let you choose your opponent, and anything under 4 bars in this is laggy as shit. That's a pretty damn good reason why lobbies > matchmaking IMO

The Cowboy

Okay, I'm fairly comfortable with most PC settings, but AO always confused me. What is it, exactly?
Ambient Occlusion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion

Ambient occlusion is a method to approximate how bright light should be shining on any specific part of a surface, based on the light and it's environment. This is used to add realism.

The best way to see what it does is to take my 2 pictures and switch between them (best putting them in 2 tabs and going back and forth).
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/853/e38t.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1640/yefg.jpg
Look around the grass areas and the bumps on the trees etc, it adds more shadowing to places that should look darker.

Damn, just remembered that most PC gamers are still used to lobby select instead of matchmaking :). One way or another, seems like most people are using matchmaking with this game.
Matchmaking doesn't let you choose your opponent, and anything under 4 bars in this is laggy as shit. That's a pretty damn good reason why lobbies > matchmaking IMO
Ah, well I haven't played online long enough to see how it is. On consoles I generally had a good experience.

LTWheels

Still I'm glad to see more fighting games on the PC for prosperity reasons, with the next gen consoles not being backwards compatible.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

* graphics were pretty poor, lots of low-res texturing and low-poly models. cut scenes were especially bad. of course i expected this since all the assets were created for 7-year old hardware

* overall, well worth the $22 and change i paid for it. i'd have paid full price $29.99 too. excellent port at a good price, despite being a couple years late. i hope Injustice gets a port
It is the 360 dpad. I exclusively used a gamepad for fighting games right up until the 360's dpad completely ruined everything. What a piece of garbage. Now I have to use an arcade stick.

I don't get the comment about the graphics though. The PC port looks even better than the bullshots they released a few years ago. The lighting is excellent and the IQ is flawless.

impact

Banned
Damn, just remembered that most PC gamers are still used to lobby select instead of matchmaking :). One way or another, seems like most people are using matchmaking with this game.

Ah, well I haven't played online long enough to see how it is. On consoles I generally had a good experience.

On consoles and Vita it was hit or miss just like it is here, I guess they just had a bigger population so I was finding more 4 bars. I honestly don't think they changed a thing about the netcode from the console version in this port.

To people complaining about your inputs not working when you're using a 360 pad... this is clearly a user error. Get a better controller because that thing is worthless for all fighting games.

Liamario

Banned
Anyone getting crazy slowdown? It's not a hardware issue. The game runs at 60fps + no problem and then suddenly during the story mode, all fights are in slow motion.

For some reason this game does not like my wired 360 pad at all. I have a shitty D-pad, so I'm trying to use the analog stick but it's twitchy as hell.

Nabs

I'm glad I have an arcade stick for fighters. I just tried it with a 360 pad and the analog drift had my character hopping up and down. The xbone controller can't come soon enough.

4 dots and above otherwise it's the worst F N online experience ever, even SF4 was playable at 3 stars, I am happy I paid $22.50, I probably won't get into this like i did with SF4, I thought 360 D-pad with SF4 was horrible but this game makes the experience i had with SF4 look awesome, so many dead zone with the 360 D-Pad, I do stuff and nothing...

360 controller is really, really bad for this game for some reason.

I actually have greater success pulling off combos in SSFIVAE on my 360 pad as compared to this game.

The game is really twitchy with it for some reason. Inputs aren't being handled properly. Before you ask, yes I'm running the game at a locked 60 FPS. No framedrops.

Also the apparent lack/smallish deadzone is really maddening as well.

Top Bottom