• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of controllers. Does anyone else have the habit of switching their thumb over to the analog stick, especially on the PS3? I have a bad tendency to use the analog stick when jumping because I find it easier to jump diagonally with it, also go Back-Forward and Down-Up for some reason (Playing Kung Lao I almost felt like I had to use the analog for teleporting but was having problems throwing his hat like that). Then I realize, "oh shit" and move my thumb back over for D-Pad for combo inputs.

I'm not a huge fighting game player, so I think it's a bad habit I just need to break (maybe I can disable it completely) but I was just wondering if anyone else does this or actually plays solely with the analog stick.

Struct09

leed1990 said:
This has been probably asked already but is there any way to get it online so you and a friend from xbl can be on the same tag team against somone else. On diffrent ranked and player matches i've seen teams with two diffrent tags but wasnt sure if it was just a case of them signing on to two diffrent accounts on the same xbox rather than over xbox live and on two diffrent consoles.

Tag team can only be done between two consoles. So they likely had two different gamertags on the same console.

Xater

Houston3000 said:
Speaking of controllers. Does anyone else have the habit of switching their thumb over to the analog stick, especially on the PS3? I have a bad tendency to use the analog stick when jumping because I find it easier to jump diagonally with it, also go Back-Forward and Down-Up for some reason (Playing Kung Lao I almost felt like I had to use the analog for teleporting but was having problems throwing his hat like that). Then I realize, "oh shit" and move my thumb back over for D-Pad for combo inputs.

I'm not a huge fighting game player, so I think it's a bad habit I just need to break (maybe I can disable it completely) but I was just wondering if anyone else does this or actually plays solely with the analog stick.

Using the analog stick in a fighting game? Ewwwww.

Going back and forth between the two is even less comprehensible for me.

Double D

Houston3000 said:

I just find myself switching between the two mid-match, in nearly every match. Certain characters I'll primarily use the d-pad, then switch to the stick for certain combos, and vice-versa for other characters.

fernoca

The "trick" for the "ice-clone challenge" is to do it and then jump towards the opposite side of the character. Since the other character has the tendency to move in the opposite direction you are; "she" will walk into the clone.

At least that was what worked in my case.

Re: Switching thumbs
No problems yet. Probably after all the years playing fighting games with the digital pad, but when it comes to fighters my mind is always set to play with the digital and ignore the analog sticks, so the thumb never moves from there. :p

Xater said:
Using the analog stick in a fighting game? Ewwwww.

Going back and forth between the two is even less comprehensible for me.
Well, I don't really condone it, it just ends up happening. I usually notice when I go to do something like a Down-Forward or Back-Up motion and it doesn't work - those are much easier for me on the dpad. For some reason though I find it easier for quick back and forth movement - think Striker's pistol or Liu Kang's fireball - I pound those shits out at ridiculous speeds with the stick just fine.

I find though, often enough that it's aggravating, pushing Up+Left or Up+Right on the d-pad results in fucked up jumps (usually just straight up) on my end. Obviously I blame it on lack of practice but still... jumping on the stick is just so much easier.

Houston3000 said:

Dude no. Glue tiny bits of broken glass to your analog stick, that should keep you on the D-pad where you belong.

Erebus

Got the game the other day and I've been playing non-stop since then. Really really impressed with the story mode so far.

So people upset about the online pass are those who haven't redeemed it yet, correct? One doesn't need to worry if it's already redeemed, right? Just wondering because a lot of you seem pissed and I want to make sure.

NEO0MJ

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So people upset about the online pass are those who haven't redeemed it yet, correct? One doesn't need to worry if it's already redeemed, right? Just wondering because a lot of you seem pissed and I want to make sure.

No, don't think so.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Only need to redeem it once; so if you already tried the online modes on release day, you're fine.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
You'll probably be fine. I think a lot of people bought the game this week though because some of the big second week sales are hitting (I got it for $30 at Toys R Us on Friday)

Neuromancer said:
Dude no. Glue tiny bits of broken glass to your analog stick, that should keep you on the D-pad where you belong.
Yeah, kind of wish I could disable it.

Are there any good third party controllers for PS3 without analog sticks like on the 360?

Houston3000 said:
Are there any good third party controllers for PS3 without analog sticks like on the 360?
You can get a SS4 fight pad or a WWE brawl pad (same hardware) for the PS3 too. I have the brawl pad and aside from having Hulk Hogan and John Cena staring at me while I play, it works great.

In fact at Gamestop the PS3 brawl pad was $10 less than the 360 one, for some reason.

mr stroke

Neuromancer said:
You can get a SS4 fight pad or a WWE brawl pad (same hardware) for the PS3 too. I have the brawl pad and aside from having Hulk Hogan and John Cena staring at me while I play, it works great.

In fact at Gamestop the PS3 brawl pad was $10 less than the 360 one, for some reason.

+1
On the Fightpad, works great and really comfortable

Neuromancer said:

at night they do more than stare

hiryu2015

Thunderbear said:
Come on Sony!! Get your servers up :). I want to play King of the Hill online.

I just received the game from Amazon today and that mode seems awesome. I can't wait to try it out eventually

lantus

derFeef said:
I used bombs to keep them at distance, then freeze them - do dmg. repeat. Took me 3 tries! (normal diff.)

yup that seemed to do the trick just spam the freeze ball and combo them.

fernoca

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Well, many are pissed because they got the game after launch and weren't able to redeem the code. For example, the game was released across Europe on April 21..and PSN started to be shut down on April 20. So there are thousands of people (probably in the hundreds of...) that haven't been online at all since getting the game.

If you redeemed it already, downloaded the 100kb key and played online; you'll be fine.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Goro/Kintaro is oddly one of the easier 2 v 1 fights in story mode for me. Sub-Zero is an easy ass character to cheese with.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
fernoca said:
Well, many are pissed because they got the game after launch and weren't able to redeem the code. For example, the game was released across Europe on April 21..and PSN started to be shut down on April 20. So there are thousands of people (probably in the hundreds of...) that haven't been online at all since getting the game.

If you redeemed it already, downloaded the 100kb key and played online; you'll be fine.

Damn it! I had to delete the install data because i was having audio errors constantly. I am pretty sure the online pass info was in that data along with the costumes i had already downloaded. Now I have to wait for the damn store to come up to re-download that 100kb key? Thats just fucking great... =(

Sblargh

Banned
My entire experience playing Mortal Kombat with another person is one very lagged match where me and a smoke player standed there doing random shit.
So yeah, I'm a little peeved about PSN going down.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is there an archive of tournament footage available? I heard Kung Lao is wrecking shit in these early tournaments.

fernoca

Trin3785 said:
Damn it! I had to delete the install data because i was having audio errors constantly. I am pretty sure the online pass info was in that data along with the costumes i had already downloaded. Now I have to wait for the damn store to come up to re-download that 100kb key? Thats just fucking great... =(
Hmm, you may be right. There's a separate save for "downloaded settings" but I think that's just for the "quick-fixes". There's still some hope things might be different so like Raiden said in Annihilation "Never give up hope!"... :p

In other things...
Lorrissa Julianus who worked in this game (did the voices for Sonya and Sindel along with motion capture sessions); posted an interesting-short article with some insight about the making of the game...and the sales? Guess she's a fan of "the chartz". :p
Lost amid the April 23 chaos at Pete Wentz’s Angels and Kings club at the Hard Rock Hotel, was the celebration going on for the release Mortal Kombat, a retelling of the whole super heroes fight for the future of humanity against an evil king.

Released April 19, the ninth main entry into the billion dollar Mortal Kombat franchise, running 120 minutes, was developed by Chicago-based NetherRealm Studios.

The cutting edge reimagining of reboot of the original story is well on its way to greater glory, having received rave reviews from some of the toughest critics in the business. It debuted at the top of the chart with sales of 422,000, amid the release of five other popular video games the same week.

The story was co-written by MK co-developer/senior artist John Vogel (who put the K in Kombat), director Dominic Cianciolo, a short film director who directed Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Brian Chard, an actor and musician who has been involved with five of the previous games in the franchise.

The new fighting game’s cinematics, or story mode, was provided by 10 local actors: Stephan Scalabrino, Lawrence Kern, Sorin Brouwers, Sean Okerberg, Brenda Barrie, C. Sean Piereman, Chris Mathews, Chris Bashen, John Frazier, and me, Lorrisa Julianus.

They had reunited for Mortal Kombat after working together in 2008 in Kombat vs. DC Universe.
Reel Chicago

Just got this from amazon, holy shit, would have bought day one if I was home but man this is living up to my expectations big time. Everything feels so meaty and looks fluid as hell. Love the wear and tear as the fight progresses.

Big One

Banned
Skarlet's entrance is awesome, like the whole blood theme they made for her. Also apparently
Fujin
is confirmed in the data too as a placeholder character (the blue/red man thing)

Big One said:
Skarlet's entrance is awesome, like the whole blood theme they made for her. Also apparently
Fujin
is confirmed in the data too as a placeholder character (the blue/red man thing)
Not familiar with him from the other games, but I like the way he looks in Kratos' ending.

Hope he comes out.

Trin3785 said:

I've noticed that I get audio and or stuttering if it's be on for awhile, but if I just boot up and play, not so much.

Like I left it in training mode while I was busy one day for a couple hours, then came back and tried to work on either finding Jade or expert ladder. There was no round 1. Occasionally I would get to hear "fight". There was no fatality. Sometimes random sound clips were in the wrong places. I also noticed that the fighters in the pit background had become very out of sync. It was some trippy stuff.

Fox Mulder

corrosivefrost said:
This "Luck be a Lady" trophy is pissing me off. >_<

it's easy as shit, I got it on my first attempt.

There's three modifier reels that spin after it selects your opponent. Simply press the X button 7 times for the first modifier reel, Y button 7 times for the 2nd reel, and B button 7 times for the final one. The only random variable is actually getting all 3 coins to even be in the reels, but you should be able to tell when it's all spinning.

ToyBroker

Banned
Houston3000 said:

Nope, no problems.

I'm firmly fixed on the d-pad :D

fernoca

bkfount said:

There's three reels that spin after it selects your opponent. Simply press the X button 7 times for the first reel, Y button 7 times for the 2nd reel, and B button 7 times for the final one. The only random variable is actually getting all 3 coins to even be in the reels, but you should be able to tell when it's all spinning.
Hmm...Let's try this. :eek:!

bkfount said:

There's three modifier reels that spin after it selects your opponent. Simply press the X button 7 times for the first modifier reel, Y button 7 times for the 2nd reel, and B button 7 times for the final one. The only random variable is actually getting all 3 coins to even be in the reels, but you should be able to tell when it's all spinning.

Can't get it to work on PS3. I can get 2/3 sometimes, but it varies as to whether it takes 7 or 8 presses.

Fox Mulder

corrosivefrost said:
Can't get it to work on PS3. I can get 2/3 sometimes, but it varies as to whether it takes 7 or 8 presses.

it's just timing, the sequence works. It's been confirmed on achievement/trophy sites.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got 3 coins in a row on one of the test your luck challenges in the tower, but it had like 6 roulettes so I guess it didn't count. I'll try that method later.

bkfount said:
it's just timing, the sequence works. It's been confirmed on achievement/trophy sites.

I've watched youtube videos and tried it, but for the life of me, when the game finally gives me koins in 3 wheels, meticulously counting 7 presses of square, triangle, circle is too slow. Mashing I get 7 or 8 at times and it's funny, sometimes 7 doesn't work, sometimes 8 does. Still can't manage all 3.

I also spent a good deal of time on challenge 24, where the 7 press doesn't seem to work, trying to get it because it's only 1 reel.

Not doubting it works. But it's way more precise or finicky than it should be and I've gotten sick of retrying and mashing out the 7s trying to get it. >_<

fernoca

Just got the trophy! (Luck be a lady!) :D
(Also got 200, 250 and 10,000 coins!)

Another note, make sure each slot has a coin, otherwise it won't work; the press the buttons 7 times (count 1, 2, 3, etc..) in the case of PS3 is:
Slot 1: Don't press anything
Slot 2: Square (x7)
Slot 3: Triangle (x7)
Slot 4: Circle (x7)

Thanks for the suggestion bkfount. XD

fernoca said:
Just got the trophy! (Luck be a lady!) :D
(Also got 200, 250 and 10,000 coins!)

Another note, make sure each slot has a coin, otherwise it won't work; the press the buttons 7 times (count 1, 2, 3, etc..) in the case of PS3 is:
Slot 1: Don't press anything
Slot 2: Square (x7)
Slot 3: Triangle (x7)
Slot 4: Circle (x7)

Thanks for the suggestion bkfount. XD

How fast did you press and when did you start pressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom