• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

corrosivefrost said:
How fast did you press and when did you start pressing?
Counted normally and pressed normally too.
After the first slot chose the character, just went like:
...and there. Jackpot!
Fight started...trophy appeared at the top.

Anyone up for a MK Game Night for XBL sometime this week?

Still haven't played an online match, and I figured I should get that out of the way

fernoca said:
Counted normally and pressed normally too.
After the first slot chose the character, just went like:
...and there. Jackpot!
Fight started...trophy appeared at the top.

Managed to get it after all. Thanks guys.

Anyone on PS3 noticing slowdown issues at times? I had it happen mostly on the street stage, and then on the fight with Shao Kahn/Kintaro for the Shaolin Monks: Final Chapter challenge. :(

scoobs

only slowdowns ive noticed are during the x-rays, its silky smooth otherwise as far as i can tell

By the way.. been playin sub zero and cyber sub and both are pretty awesome. Cyber's ex downkick is ridiculous

Pachinko

Finished this off tonight, that last boss was retarded. Unlike another complainer though I don't think it ruins the game, I just fail to see the point of making that particular fight so damn hard. In fact, really , the only parts of the story mode that take more then a couple tries are the 2 fights against that boss.

I ended up putting the difficulty to beginner for the end fight (played through the rest on medium) because I no longer have the patience to deal with that kind of cheap bullshit. I didn't really want to break the disc in half or smash my arcade stick and it was getting to that point after the 20th loss in a row.

Game is Ace other then that though.

Jirotrom

I figured an easy way to beat this bitch lol. All you got to do is a crossover jump back and forth while landing YYY. If you stay tight on him he wont ever do the up dash attack and if he does just teleport behind him rinse and repeat.

stupid muthafucka... lmao

Yuripaw

Banned
So I guess on MK's twitter account, they've been denying the toys r us ad I had posted about earlier this week, that DLC characters would be coming this wednesday.

I just find this a bit frustrating, and think that it's completely STUPID if they don't have any DLC lined up soon...at this rate, when they do come out with any DLC, I'm gonna have moved on to the next game, and not has much time or interest to play MK anymore. My chances of buying their DLC will have dropped considerably.

As a perfect example...like with Marvel vs Capcom 3. Prior to that game's release, I KNEW that DLC would not be coming until a month after the release of the game, but at the time I was really stoked for it. I couldn't wait, which is why I bought the SE version of the game. Then I played MvC3...and by the time March 15th came around, I had no interest in the game anymore. Granted, I think MvC3 is a much worse game than MK, and was a huge disappointment, but my patience for this stuff isn't gonna last forever, and my gaming time is limited.

This is kinda why DLC for games of this type are so stupid IMO too. Fighting games are only fun to play as long as there is interest from the people around you to keep playing. My friends are not gonna wanna keep playing MK for months and months, so my usefulness for whatever DLC they are taking their sweet ass time to come out with is gonna be zero if they take too long.

Single player game DLC can be frustrating because it seems like they've cut content from the game. At least in that situation, I'd be more likely to buy it though if I really want it no matter when it comes out, because it's not dependent on other people having an interest in playing with you as well.

M_A_C

I just got the game, really fun so far, but anybody have character intro voices not play? I was playing arcade more and the fighters lips would move but no voices come out.

fernoca

They've been talking about DLC and of course they had plans, but keep in mind a few things:

#1. PSN is down and the store won't be back till "later this month". The least thing they want to do now is release exclusive DLC on 360 and piss off PSN users (even more); who won't be able to not even redeem their online passes till then (so far). Though 360 users can see it as "incentive" for the whole thing about "no exclusive content'. But doubt WB wants to piss off Sony after the whole God of War, 3D things.

#2. The team received a lot of backlash because they were talking about DLC before release. Even more after the leaked Gamepro article detailing the characters of the first DLC-pack. So the team can't be blamed for "not talking about their DLC plans". :p

#3. Many people play fighting games months..even years after release. So releasing content so soon ,to then abandon the game doesn't make any sense.

#4. Calm down. There will be announcements soon. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
fernoca said:
They've been talking about DLC and of course they had plans, but keep in mind a few things:
#1. PSN is down and the store won't be back till "later this month". The least thing they want to do now is release DLC on 360. Though 360 users can see it as "incentive" for the whole thing about "no exclusive content'. But doubt B wants to piss off Sony after the whole God of War, 3D things.

#2. The team received a lot of backlash because they were talking about DLC before release. Even more after the leaked Gamepro article detailing the characters of the first DLC-pack. So the team can't be blamed for "not talking about their DLC plans". :p

#3. Many people play fighting games months..even years after release. So releasing content so soon ,to then abandon the game doesn't make any sense.

#4. Calm down. There will be announcements soon. :p
Word....

Dibs on Kenshi

orion434

Finally got "Turtle!" had to resort to trading "I'm not dead yet" to a noob for it... not my highest point in gaming. Now just to ruin my TrueSkill enough so that I only play new players for the 10 in a row and the rest will come in time :)

Interfectum

Yuripaw said:
So I guess on MK's twitter account, they've been denying the toys r us ad I had posted about earlier this week, that DLC characters would be coming this wednesday.

I just find this a bit frustrating, and think that it's completely STUPID if they don't have any DLC lined up soon...at this rate, when they do come out with any DLC, I'm gonna have moved on to the next game, and not has much time or interest to play MK anymore. My chances of buying their DLC will have dropped considerably.

As a perfect example...like with Marvel vs Capcom 3. Prior to that game's release, I KNEW that DLC would not be coming until a month after the release of the game, but at the time I was really stoked for it. I couldn't wait, which is why I bought the SE version of the game. Then I played MvC3...and by the time March 15th came around, I had no interest in the game anymore. Granted, I think MvC3 is a much worse game than MK, and was a huge disappointment, but my patience for this stuff isn't gonna last forever, and my gaming time is limited.

This is kinda why DLC for games of this type are so stupid IMO too. Fighting games are only fun to play as long as there is interest from the people around you to keep playing. My friends are not gonna wanna keep playing MK for months and months, so my usefulness for whatever DLC they are taking their sweet ass time to come out with is gonna be zero if they take too long.

Single player game DLC can be frustrating because it seems like they've cut content from the game. At least in that situation, I'd be more likely to buy it though if I really want it no matter when it comes out, because it's not dependent on other people having an interest in playing with you as well.

The game just came out. If you are already losing interest in it I highly doubt two new characters are going to satiate your appetite for much longer anyway.

(1) At least the NRS team is more on the ball with announcements of actual coming DLC or plans than Capcom's MvC3 team seems to be. :|

(2) Is there a way to select the alt costume for a character without pressing start? Someone on the levelup stream was selecting smoke's alt and I never saw the "costume" dialogue pop up during selection (though player 2 was doing so for ermac).

Yuripaw said:

I honestly don't think they'll do DLC until AFTER Evo. Right now they are probably more worried about fixing glitches and balancing and why not save the DLC for after Evo so that tourney players get something new to play with for next year's Evo? And then in 2013 we'll probably hear about the next game at that point.

Interfectum said:
The game just came out. If you are already losing interest in it I highly doubt two new characters are going to satiate your appetite for much longer anyway.

That too.

Irish

corrosivefrost said:
(2) Is there a way to select the alt costume for a character without pressing start? Someone on the levelup stream was selecting smoke's alt and I never saw the "costume" dialogue pop up during selection (though player 2 was doing so for ermac).

Now, I don't know if this is the case for sure or not, but it may be possible that the player went into that mode by pressing start. When you do that for challenge tower, it automatically puts everyone in their alt.

NVM. Pressing start to go into Challenge Tower only puts them in their alt color, not their alt costume.

Alright, if I can't remember if I did or not but if I ever doubted the complainers regarding the final boss of story mode I take back everything I said. You guys were right, the fight is absolutely ridiculously cheap, unbalanced, and terrible.

For reference, when I was playing as
Nightwolf
, literally four fights before I was achieving Flawless Victories. It took me only one match to defeat
Sektor and Cyrax
and only two to defeat
Sindel
- and that was a very obvious flub on my part (was experimenting a little). I defeated
Scorpion
in one match, etc... I get to the final boss and I literally played about 20 matches before quitting out of frustration - I couldn't win even a single round... though I got marginally close using extremely cheap tactics
Shao Kahn is such a fucking spammer, often times he would catch me with the hammer, then literally continued throwing it two or three more times before then throwing a spear in as well - being stunned I can't jump over any of them and they all do a good 18% damage or so at least. Raiden's only projectile requires he stands which means he gets hit by spears if you try more than one and teleport/superman spam almost works but if Shao Kahn manages a block you're literally stuck in a corner doing your bounce off stagger animation while he pummels out his 3-hit charge combo... same if I swap superman for one of Raiden's 20% combos except Shao Kahn is magically invincible randomly

The story was really picking up at that point,
Holy shit, every single fucking person's dead except for maybe Johnny and Sonya. Raiden killing Liu Kang was a big surprise!
Now I'm stuck on this shit, I haven't been stuck this bad on anything yet so far - worst was like 4 matches with the
Liu Kang vs. Shao Kahn
fight earlier in the game.

Khezu

corrosivefrost said:
(1) At least the NRS team is more on the ball with announcements of actual coming DLC or plans than Capcom's MvC3 team seems to be. :|

I am probably just going crazy, but I swear I choose jade normally and somehow ended up in her alt costume, I know this because I hate jades alt and would never use it.
I just figured the game glitched or something.

orion434

Houston3000 said:
Now I'm stuck on this shit, I haven't been stuck this bad on anything yet so far - worst was like 4 matches with the
Liu Kang vs. Shao Kahn
fight earlier in the game.

Such cheeze! Keep your distance then as soon as he telegraphs an attack Teleport then Uppercut. The first few times he may not flinch, continue with the battle and do not hit Start then retry, just let him kill you and the difficulty will lower.

Irish said:
Master the teleport. Uppercut. Double Flawless that cunt.
rayner said:
Such cheeze! Keep your distance then as soon as he telegraphs an attack Teleport then Uppercut. The first few times he may not flinch, continue with the battle and do not hit Start then retry, just let him kill you and the difficulty will lower.
I didn't even think there was a retry option. Never-the-less I heard the difficulty gets lower so I was hoping after like 20 matches it would actually be easy... the longest I've gone before in any of the other fights was four matches
not surprisingly against the earlier Shao Kahn fight with Liu Kang... the difference is Liu Kang is a much better character, at least against Shao Kahn's cheap ass tactics. With Liu Kang I could Bicycle Kick without worrying about stagger and if I was in a pinch close range I could do his Parry, better yet I could counter Shao Khan's spear spam with low fireballs - not only do you get a fireball hit in but Liu Kang ducks to shoot it so you dodge the spear if you time it right. Not to mention how infinitely better Liu Kang's combos are (I was talking about them a couple pages ago).

I'll try the uppercut trick tonight. I really don't want to resort to lowering the difficulty. It seems a lot of people just switch it to Beginner for that fight (is there any trophy/achievement to go along with beating the game on Medium?). I'm really really curious to see how the story wraps up. Speaking of which, I'm still amazed that I actually care about the story in a fighting game.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
you cant change the story modes difficulty its preset and the final fight dosnt get any easier if you keep losing just gotta exploit to win

Houston3000 said:
I'll try the uppercut trick tonight. I really don't want to resort to lowering the difficulty. It seems a lot of people just switch it to Beginner for that fight (is there any trophy/achievement to go along with beating the game on Medium?). I'm really really curious to see how the story wraps up. Speaking of which, I'm still amazed that I actually care about the story in a fighting game.

No, there's no achievement associated with beating it on any particular difficulty, just one for completing it 100%. Won’t affect anything but your pride. :p It does feel, like in Ladder mode and the Challenge tower, that the difficulty lowers itself after about 3-4 times of getting your ass whomped.

orion434

Houston3000 said:

Nope you can beat story in any difficulty, the only difficulty specific Achievement / Trophy is to beat Ladder on Expert without losing a match, and it can be done in Tag Ladder.

Houston3000 said:
I didn't even think there was a retry option. Never-the-less I heard the difficulty gets lower so I was hoping after like 20 matches it would actually be easy... the longest I've gone before in any of the other fights was four matches
not surprisingly against the earlier Shao Kahn fight with Liu Kang... the difference is Liu Kang is a much better character, at least against Shao Kahn's cheap ass tactics. With Liu Kang I could Bicycle Kick without worrying about stagger and if I was in a pinch close range I could do his Parry, better yet I could counter Shao Khan's spear spam with low fireballs - not only do you get a fireball hit in but Liu Kang ducks to shoot it so you dodge the spear if you time it right. Not to mention how infinitely better Liu Kang's combos are (I was talking about them a couple pages ago).

No trophy or achievement for difficulty, just for completing the story mode.

Personally, I thought the Raiden fight with Shao Kahn was much easier than the Liu Kang one. I definitely had less trouble. Teleporting and uppercut/combo/escape was much easier than trying to get in the low fireball pattern with him when using Liu Kang.
I wonder if Raiden's superman goes under the spears... :-k

Just wait -- you'll have tons of fun if you ever go for the ladder master trophy/cheese.

corrosivefrost said:
No trophy or achievement for difficulty, just for completing the story mode.

Personally, I thought the fight with Shao Kahn was much easier... :-k

Just wait -- you'll have tons of fun if you ever go for the ladder master trophy/cheese.
I guess lowering the difficulty could be an option... I just have too much pride I think to do that.

As for the
Liu Kang vs Shao Kahn
fight. To be fair, I played
Liu Kang
a lot, I beat the arcade with him twice already (Medium and Hard) and play him in Practice mode all the time with an attacking AI. I was kind of planning to make him my regular #1 go-to fighter for versus (maybe Nightwolf as well) so I've had a lot of training. The fact that THAT fight took me 4 matches made me angry since I kind of considered myself pretty good at that point with him, at least against the stupid Medium AI bots. With
Raiden
, the first time I played as him was in Story Mode, I kind of rage quited into Practice mode with him at one point to get down the timing on a couple combos but only for a few minutes and it didn't seem to help.
No, superman doesn't go under spears :(

Xater

Houston3000 said:
Well, I don't really condone it, it just ends up happening. I usually notice when I go to do something like a Down-Forward or Back-Up motion and it doesn't work - those are much easier for me on the dpad. For some reason though I find it easier for quick back and forth movement - think Striker's pistol or Liu Kang's fireball - I pound those shits out at ridiculous speeds with the stick just fine.

I find though, often enough that it's aggravating, pushing Up+Left or Up+Right on the d-pad results in fucked up jumps (usually just straight up) on my end. Obviously I blame it on lack of practice but still... jumping on the stick is just so much easier.

Hmmm that's weird. I can maybe understand the quarter circle motions but the rest is really weird. Maybe try not doing quarter circles on the dpad. The jump thing I don#t really understand. Just put you thumb in the empty space between two direction and press down. I really doubt you have that small of a thumb that this shouldn't work.

Chairhome

Houston3000 said:
I guess lowering the difficulty could be an option... I just have too much pride I think to do that.

As for the
Liu Kang vs Shao Kahn
fight. To be fair, I played
Liu Kang
a lot, I beat the arcade with him twice already (Medium and Hard) and play him in Practice mode all the time with an attacking AI. I was kind of planning to make him my regular #1 go-to fighter for versus (maybe Nightwolf as well) so I've had a lot of training. The fact that THAT fight took me 4 matches made me angry since I kind of considered myself pretty good at that point with him, at least against the stupid Medium AI bots. With
Raiden
, the first time I played as him was in Story Mode, I kind of rage quited into Practice mode with him at one point to get down the timing on a couple combos but only for a few minutes and it didn't seem to help.
No, superman doesn't go under spears :(
Remember that you can't fight the bosses like you would fight any other character. Super armor and cheap moves will mess you up. Stay back, spam projectiles, when he gets into an attack animation, teleport then do a quick combo, then jump over him and jump punch and go into another combo.

Xater said:
Hmmm that's weird. I can maybe understand the quarter circle motions but the rest is really weird. Maybe try not doing quarter circles on the dpad. The jump thing I don#t really understand. Just put you thumb in the empty space between two direction and press down. I really doubt you have that small of a thumb that this shouldn't work.
Well, no... it's easier for me to do quarter motions on the d-pad but back and forth I have problems with. Like Kung Lao or Raiden's teleport is Down-Up and I fuck that up so much on the D-Pad it's stupid. I kind of bit down and adjusted, maybe it was the long ass time I spent on that fucking ridiculous last boss fight yesterday. I'll get the hang of it, I went to Gamestop, not going to spend $40 on a stupid wrestling game controller.

Xater

Houston3000 said:
Well, no... it's easier for me to do quarter motions on the d-pad but back and forth I have problems with. Like Kung Lao or Raiden's teleport is Down-Up and I fuck that up so much on the D-Pad it's stupid. I kind of bit down and adjusted, maybe it was the long ass time I spent on that fucking ridiculous last boss fight yesterday. I'll get the hang of it, I went to Gamestop, not going to spend $40 on a stupid wrestling game controller.

Yeah just keep trying. I think pad is the way to go with this game tbh. You will probably adjust eventually, you just have to force yourself to just use the dpad. The motions should definitely come out quicker that way.

Yuripaw

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
I honestly don't think they'll do DLC until AFTER Evo. Right now they are probably more worried about fixing glitches and balancing and why not save the DLC for after Evo so that tourney players get something new to play with for next year's Evo? And then in 2013 we'll probably hear about the next game at that point.

Not all of us who play fighting games, are into the whole tournament scene, and maybe play games...i dunno, for fun?

When a game ceases to be fun, I won't keep playing it; which kinda goes back to my point that once people I know aren't playing the game anymore, my chances of continuing to play it are slim.

notworksafe

infinityBCRT said:
Do you really think the game will be played at the next EVO? I mean as a main game.

DasRaven

notworksafe said:
Do you really think the game will be played at the next EVO?

What on the horizon will displace it given the size of the fanbase? AH? SC5? KOF13?
IMO, Evo 2012 will be AE, MvC3 Collector's Edition (Super), and MK9+DLC.

notworksafe

DasRaven said:
What on the horizon will displace it given the size of the fanbase? AH? SC5? KOF13?
TTT2 or SFxT are possibilities. SC5 is another small possibility.

Just saying as a main game. There will be an MK side tourney no matter what. But look at last year, they had Melty Blood of all games playing with the big boys. Yes, that was because of a vote but I'm just pointing out that even smaller games can get main game status.

Either way, I registered to play MK this year just in case it won't be as big there next year.

DasRaven

notworksafe said:
TTT2 or SFxT are possibilities. SC5 is another small possibility.

Just saying as a main game. There will be an MK side tourney no matter what. But look at last year, they had Melty Blood of all games playing with the big boys. Yes, that was because of a vote but I'm just pointing out that even smaller games can get main game status.

Either way, I registered to play MK this year just in case it won't be as big there next year.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't see anything besides TTT2 having a shot at displacing MK (again IMO).
Heck, I'd love to see Skullgirls turn out good enough to get to Evo, even if not the main stage.

notworksafe

Well pretty much every fighting game is there, so I wouldn't be shocked to see a Skullgirls side tourney.

My hope for EVO 2012 is AE, Super MVC, TTT2, MK+DLC, and SFxT on the main stage.

Who knows if the BBCS2 people get their game in, but I was shocked to see BB this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom