• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
The final challenge tower reward should have been all preorder DLC. That would have gotten people hyped.

As long as they keep getting purchases based on that type of content, it will never happen.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does anyone have a tip on how to complete Challenge Tower number
157? I manage to get a 8 hit combo, but nothing happened. I did triangle square cross, then double triangle, then tripple square.

MYE said:
FUCK GORO IN STORY MODE, cheap ass piece of shit motherfucker!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used flying jump kicks, was much easier then :)

MYE

test_account said:
I used flying jump kicks, was much easier then :)

I was getting raped doing that. Started mixing ground combos with grasshoper/air kick gameplay and FINALLY fucked him up.

Almost pulled 2 perfects in the next battle with Shang Tsung by comparison

test_account

XP-39C²
Lyonaz said:
X-ray then bicycle kick.
How do you fill up the x-ray bar faster? I usually die (in this challenge at least) when the x-ray bar is full, or if i'm lucky i have like 2% health left.

MYE said:
I was getting raped doing that. Started mixing ground combos with grasshoper/air kick gameplay and FINALLY fucked him up.

Almost pulled 2 perfects in the next battle with Shang Tsung by comparison
I used to jump towards him and kick, if he blocked it, then i tried to do an uppercut right away. I also jumped towards him when he was lying down, kicking him. If he blocked, i tried either to do an uppercut or jump back quickly and jump towards him again kicking. What difficulty setting do you play on by the way?

De4th Strike said:
An enhanced bicycle kick is 8 hits exactly. Easiest way to do it
That was easy :D Thanks! :)

Struct09

Aske said:
So there was no way to get Sub-Zero with a TE copy of the game, unless you bought a separate standard edition copy at launch. There may be some floating around, but it's likely that they're all sold out. Reptile is impossible to get from Amazon because the promotion has finished, and is likely sold out at Canadian Futureshop stores at this point too, where he was available in the same way as Sub-Zero: standard edition only.

I see other people have commented on this, but I got my Xbox 360 TE from Best Buy at launch and there was a Sub Zero DLC card inside. There was also a little sticker on the box indicating the Sub Zero DLC was included.

test_account said:
How do you fill up the x-ray bar faster? I usually die (in this challenge at least) when the x-ray bar is full, or if i'm lucky i have like 2% health left.
You built up X-Ray quickly when the opponent blocks your special attacks. If you're playing Liu Kang spamming Bicycle Kick and Fireballs quickly will fill up your meter in no time.

yoopoo

Banned
God dammit...I got this game yesterday, and having a tough time remembering and doing the special moves. I still remember the special moves from MK2 and SF2, but having a real tough time in this game.

Haven't played online yet but I'm sure to get my ass whooped by everyone.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yoopoo said:
God dammit...I got this game yesterday, and having a tough time remembering and doing the special moves. I still remember the special moves from MK2 and SF2, but having a real tough time in this game.

just learn 1 or 2 moves at a time and play around with them for a bit and after you get those down go ahead and learn some more and so forth dont over whelm yourself with too many moves at once

Grifter

Do you earn coins for playing in vs. mode, and have to exit out to save? Most of my time has been in there.

Seems I have to go into options to pick my correct storage device every time.

Grifter said:
Do you earn coins for playing in vs. mode, and have to exit out to save? Most of my time has been in there.

Seems I have to go into options to pick my correct storage device every time.
My understanding is you don't earn coins by playing online.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Houston3000 said:
You built up X-Ray quickly when the opponent blocks your special attacks. If you're playing Liu Kang spamming Bicycle Kick and Fireballs quickly will fill up your meter in no time.

Does anyone else have a real problem with this mechanic?

I understand the revenge meter for comeback potential, but why penalize someone for blocking? They're already taking chip damage and are in blockstun for mixup opportunities. Why must they also have to deal with their opponent building meter like crazy?

Sblargh

Banned
yoopoo said:

Moves are different from MK2 IIRC. Pause -> Move list will be your best friend the first week.

GuardianE said:
Does anyone else have a real problem with this mechanic?

I understand the revenge meter for comeback potential, but why penalize someone for blocking? They're already taking chip damage and are in blockstun for mixup opportunities. Why must they also have to deal with their opponent building meter like crazy?

Pre-lauch they were saying something along the lines that they were just experimenting with different combinations until finding one that built the meter at a pace they wanted. So I guess that the priority was not how, but how many times or something. Anyway, game is clearly designed to award the aggressor.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sblargh said:
Pre-lauch they were saying something along the lines that they were just experimenting with different combinations until finding one that built the meter at a pace they wanted. So I guess that the priority was not how, but how many times or something. Anyway, game is clearly designed to award the aggressor.

And I think that's a problem. I'm throwing out safe normals that my opponent is intelligently blocking (taking chip damage the entire time)... and all of a sudden I have an X-ray to take 40% of their health with one combo. I can understand if they want to discourage blocking, maybe encourage dodging, but the issue there is when you have characters with stupidly good, fast moves that can only be punished with blocks.

derFeef

Grifter said:
I said "vs. mode" and you jumped straight to assuming online? SMH. =)
Thre is no VS mode against the AI. And Koins by 2 Player VS. would be usable (even if the Krypt is not that fantastic).

GuardianE said:
And I think that's a problem. I'm throwing out safe normals that my opponent is intelligently blocking (taking chip damage the entire time)... and all of a sudden I have an X-ray to take 40% of their health with one combo. I can understand if they want to discourage blocking, maybe encourage dodging, but the issue there is when you have characters with stupidly good, fast moves that can only be punished with blocks.
Well, if they're so intelligently blocking they'll block your X-Ray as well.

What I was suggesting with the Bicycle Kicks is a cheap tactic against the AI, in all honestly with a move like that - if you're blocked you're very open for retaliation as there's a landing animation. A lot of other similar moves actually cause bounce-back when blocked to. For example, Dragon Kick with Liu Kang into a blocking enemy and not only does your attack do paltry chip damage but you bounce off leaving you completely open, similarly things like Kabal's Running Dash or Mileena and Kano's Ball attack cause you to stagger if you're blocked. Projectile spam is safer for building your meter but also jumpable or duckable.

Mortal Kombat has always encouraged aggression. Remember in UMK3 the actual meter was literally the word "Aggression" being spelled as the meter filled up. Chip damage is pretty high to in this game and grabbing a blocking target is easy.

malfcn

I have bought past 2-3 stages because I couldn't pull them off (gf was watching and wanted me to keep going).

One was an early stage where you had to hit buttons on reaction..
I don't remember the stick layout well enough to hit them fast enough. And half the time if I did hit them, the button didn't work. It was weird, it'd say hit B, and I would and it would read as wrong.

The other that I remember is the Mileena vs Kitana horse damage challenge. I need to learn some high output combos.

fernoca

test_account said:
Ok. Yeah, normal is the default one, same i played on (although i changed to beginner near the end of story mode hehe :)).
Default is Medium.
Beginner > Normal > Medium > Hard > Expert
Are the options I remember, could be wrong though. All I remember is finding the option after finishing the mode and noticing it was in medium...to then proceed to darn that last Shao Kahn again. :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Houston3000 said:
Well, if they're so intelligently blocking they'll block your X-Ray as well.

What I was suggesting with the Bicycle Kicks is a cheap tactic against the AI, in all honestly with a move like that - if you're blocked you're very open for retaliation as there's a landing animation. A lot of other similar moves actually cause bounce-back when blocked to. For example, Dragon Kick with Liu Kang into a blocking enemy and not only does your attack do paltry chip damage but you bounce off leaving you completely open, similarly things like Kabal's Running Dash or Mileena and Kano's Ball attack cause you to stagger if you're blocked. Projectile spam is safer for building your meter but also jumpable or duckable.

Mortal Kombat has always encouraged aggression. Remember in UMK3 the actual meter was literally the word "Aggression" being spelled as the meter filled up. Chip damage is pretty high to in this game and grabbing a blocking target is easy.

You can hit confirm combo into X-Ray. I didn't mean to throw it out stupidly. I meant that it's now a move in your arsenal that will reversal everything in a single button press, or you can hit confirm combo into it through a link.

And you're talking about horribly unsafe moves. I wouldn't even bring those into this discussion. Bicycle kicks or teleports... or anything like that. Just... no. A better example would be a correctly spaced Shadow Kick. Something safe on block. But the best example is a simple block string, because that's really where I have the most issues.

And I don't think you're right that the game is encouraging aggression. If that were the case, then you'd get meter for striking your opponent. But you don't. You get meter if your attacks are blocked. I simply don't see why having your opponents block your attacks should net you extra meter.

With revenge meters, it works as a trade off. You take damage, but you gain meter. With a meter rewarding offense (like a super meter), you get meter for getting your attacks blocked AND by connecting hits.

The fact that your opponent gets Super when you block attacks simply rewards incompetence, and penalizes someone else for correctly defending themselves in certain situations.

fernoca

GuardianE said:
You can hit confirm combo into X-Ray. I didn't mean to throw it out stupidly. I meant that it's now a move in your arsenal that will reversal everything in a single button press, or you can hit confirm combo into it through a link.

And you're talking about horribly unsafe moves. I wouldn't even bring those into this discussion. Bicycle kicks or teleports... or anything like that. Just... no. A better example would be a correctly spaced Shadow Kick. Something safe on block. But the best example is a simple block string, because that's really where I have the most issues.

And I don't think you're right that the game is encouraging aggression. If that were the case, then you'd get meter for striking your opponent. But you don't. You get meter if your attacks are blocked. I simply don't see why having your opponents blocked should net you extra meter.

With revenge meters, it works as a trade off. You take damage, but you gain meter. With a meter rewarding offense (like a super meter), you get meter for getting your attacks blocked AND by connecting hits.

The fact that your opponent gets Super when you block attacks simply rewards incompetence, and penalizes someone else for correctly defending themselves in certain situations.
[Though hits do add to the Super Meter in here. But not as much as when you hit someone that is blocking. Probably to avoid people spamming long-range attacks (like I do to my friends in Capcom games..Long distance + hadoken + hadoken x 5 = super meter level 5 in no time :p).

The meter also fills faster to those getting damage; I guess it works both ways. The key is knowing how to use them properly, since X-Rays can be avoided easily; EX can be used to make the opponent to second guess and counters can be used to stop others spamming the same combos/attacks over and over.

EDIT: GuardianE was right, nevermind. :p

FinKL

Game has A LOT of content, only wish I could skip through story mode, did it once already on PS3 and don't want to invest another half work day into cinematics :|

Also, I have the Kitana Klassic Kostume code for 360 for sell as well. PM for details

Khezu

GuardianE said:

And I don't think you're right that the game is encouraging aggression. If that were the case, then you'd get meter for striking your opponent. But you don't. You get meter if your attacks are blocked. I simply don't see why having your opponents block your attacks should net you extra meter.

They had an interview close to when the game came out, one question was about why the meter worked like that, the response was.

To encourage agressive play, without over enoucouraging it. If you are hitting your opponent, they are losing life, so you dont gain meter. You gain the most meter from having your opponent block your attacks, while they gain none. This encourages them not to block too much. If you are getting hit, you can gain meter to help you fight back. Getting hit wont give you a full meter until you've taken about 76 percent damage.

I personally haven't played enough humans to get any real opinion on the meter myself, I'm just glad there is only one meter.

SmokeMaxX said:
Haha I went to Best Buy to buy my MK9 a few days (3-4?) after launch and managed to snag one with an exclusive Sub Zero code. I thought they all came with 'em. I didn't even want it! When I found out on this thread that they were selling on ebay, I thought I'd throw mine up there. And the only reason I got it from Best Buy was because I had a ton of gift cards.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=320691500288
Maybe they should stop making content exclusive. Just FREE with preorder, but still offer it on XBLA/PSN for cheap.

This is by far the easiest iteration of Shao Khan and a fairly easy boss for fighting game standards. All you have to do to beat him is just jump over him and land an uppercut. Wait for his attack than BAM. Rinse and repeat. Every one of his attacks leaves him wide open.

fernoca

Khezu said:
http://www.trmk.org/forums/showthread.php/20430-Skarlet-combos-X-ray-fatality-and-babality

Someone on TRMK posted videos of skarlet's fatality, her babality, her x-ray, and normals.
It all looks super rough. Her model on the disk didn't have a voice or any of her own moves so not sure where this dude got this from.

She's kinda freaky, like a vampire or something.
Yeah, the data in there is incomplete; hence why she will be added as full DLC later. Her download will probably be smaller than Kenshi's since the model is there. But other animations, artwork, effects, voice, etc. will be added.

The Toys R Us shopper teased at "download new characters this wednesday"; guess we'll see. Though with PSN down, who knows.

The overall concept of the character and the blood-lust is quite cool.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
fernoca said:
Though hits do add to the Super Meter in here. But not as much as when you hit someone that is blocking. Probably to avoid people spamming long-range attacks (like I do to my friends in Capcom games..Long distance + hadoken + hadoken x 5 = super meter level 5 in no time :p).

The meter also fills faster to those getting damage; I guess it works both ways. The key is knowing how to use them properly, since X-Rays can be avoided easily; EX can be used to make the opponent to second guess and counters can be used to stop others spamming the same combos/attacks over and over.

Hits don't add to Super meter. Whiffing special moves will, but not actually connecting with them. Only if they're blocked. Your example of someone spamming long range attacks is actually worse in Mortal Kombat, because you gain meter for blocked attacks and none for connecting... most projectiles will be blocked, hence you get a lot of meter. In SF, you get less meter for blocked attacks.

Does anyone know exactly what Jade's Enhanced Shadow Move does?

Khezu

GuardianE said:
Hits don't add to Super meter. Whiffing special moves will, but not actually connecting with them. Only if they're blocked. Your example of someone spamming long range attacks is actually worse in Mortal Kombat, because you gain meter for blocked attacks and none for connecting... most projectiles will be blocked, hence you get a lot of meter. In SF, you get less meter for blocked attacks.

When she glows purple? She becomes immune to everything not just projectiles.

Struct09

I have faith, but I really hope the DLC characters are viewable by everyone online (via a title update when the DLC characters are released). So even if someone hasn't bought them they aren't limited as to who they can play against online.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Struct09 said:
I have faith, but I really hope the DLC characters are viewable by everyone online (via a title update when the DLC characters are released). So even if someone hasn't bought them they aren't limited as to who they can play against online.

I really wouldn't worry. Every fighting game with DLC characters has done so by patching the game so that all characters can be fought, but you can only select the DLC characters if you've bought them. Why would they do it any different for MK?

fernoca

GuardianE said:

It adds, check the meter when you're connecting hits. It doesn't add a lot:

Here's the meter at the beginning of Round 1:
http://i.imgur.com/y5Gam.jpg

Here's the meter at the beginning of Round 2 (including first hit and a few 2-3 hits combos with and Shadow Kick used during 1 combo -Jade- in Round 1 and Flawless Victory [no hits by Player 2]:
http://i.imgur.com/H7INP.jpg

Jade's regular shadow specials/projectiles go through her, enhanced: projectiles and attacks don't do damage.

EDIT: GuardianE was right, nevermind. :p

Xevren

GuardianE said:
Oh, for real? Is it time based? How many hits can it absorb? I may never use an X-Ray again.

Think it just absorbs one hit, lasts as long as the normal shadow or whenever you attack.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
fernoca said:
It adds, check the meter when you're connecting hits. It doesn't add a lot:

Here's the meter at the beginning of Round 1:

Here's the meter at the beginning of Round 2 (including first hit and a few 2-3 hits combos with and Shadow Kick -Jade- in Round 1 and Flawless victory (no hits by Player 2):

Jade's regular shadow specials/projectiles go through her, enhanced projectiles and attacks don't do damage.

From TYM.com:
Q: What is that yellow bar below the characters?
A: That is the super bar, which is broken into three segments. Your meter is built in three ways:

- Dealing block (chip) damage.
- Using special moves (that hit or are blocked)
- Being hit by your opponent.

At the start of a round, each player starts with 1/3 of their gauge built. You can score an additional free segement by being first to land a clean hit on your opponent in the first round.

I can't see your pictures because they're blocked on my comp, but you probably got meter from performing the Shadow Kicks. You got no meter from the rest of your combo. Unfortunately, I can't check it out, myself, but I'm fairly certain if you won a flawless round without performing any specials, you would get no meter (aside from the First Hit bonus, which nets you one whole meter).

fernoca

GuardianE said:
I can't see your pictures because they're blocked on my comp, but you probably got meter from performing the Shadow Kicks. Unfortunately, I can't check it out, myself, but I'm fairly certain if you won a flawless round without performing any specials, you would get no meter (aside from the First Hit bonus, which nets you one whole meter).
Let's check again.. :p

EDIT:
Yep, you're right. Seems the added energy was from adding the specials into combos. So you're right, you win..but no flawless. :p

Still no problems with it. Someone that knows how to use them will make good use of it, while others are going to be spamming X-ray attacks in the hopes of coming from behind. :p

Let me edit the other posts too.

EDIT 2:
It also seems the "Redeem Code' option won't be up with this week update as bandresen noted yesterday, since it's connected to the Store (i.e. you have to download a file to unlock it).
bandresen said:
I hope you're right. I was just saying as normally on PS3 the online codes are done by downloading an installable file, (as opposed to a subscription that can also be placed on an account) which is why I think the PSNStore comes in.
So seems Online Passes can't be redeemed. But still not 100% confirmed; so there's still some hope. Just read about it through people I now on Facebook, so "my sources" are not official... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom