• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
fernoca said:
Let's check again.. :p

EDIT:
Yep, you're right. Seems the added energy was from adding the specials into combos. So you're right, you win..but no flawless. :p

Still no problems with it. Someone that knows how to use them will make good use of it, while others are going to be spamming X-ray attacks in the hopes of coming from behind. :p

Let me edit the other posts too.

Again, my issue isn't with the opponent getting X-Ray in general, or "spamming" X-Ray. I don't even care about people who squander their X-Ray by using it randomly.

My issue is getting X-Ray or Enhanced moves from getting your attacks blocked. It doesn't make any sense. They rationalize it by saying, "Well, your attacks are blocked, you're sad, so let's give you meter.", but that's not how it works. In this game, if your attacks are blocked, you're in good shape... you've done chip damage and (if you're smart) you're at a frame advantage. There's no disputing that Enhanced Moves or X-Rays are important components in the game, and very powerful tools. When I say X-Ray, I don't mean a stupid random desperation X-Ray. I mean a combo'd X-Ray or a punishing X-Ray.

And I understand that they want to endorse offensive momentum, but I think they went about it the wrong way.

Moofers

SmokeMaxX said:
Haha I went to Best Buy to buy my MK9 a few days (3-4?) after launch and managed to snag one with an exclusive Sub Zero code. I thought they all came with 'em. I didn't even want it! When I found out on this thread that they were selling on ebay, I thought I'd throw mine up there. And the only reason I got it from Best Buy was because I had a ton of gift cards.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=320691500288

I just bought the game from Best Buy earlier today and have already listed my PS3 Sub Zero code. I was pretty impressed to see most of them around $30. I'm not enough of a hardcore fan to pass up on that. That could be a copy of Portal 2 for me!

GuardianE said:
From TYM.com:
Q: What is that yellow bar below the characters?
A: That is the super bar, which is broken into three segments. Your meter is built in three ways:

- Dealing block (chip) damage.
- Using special moves (that hit or are blocked)
- Being hit by your opponent.

At the start of a round, each player starts with 1/3 of their gauge built. You can score an additional free segement by being first to land a clean hit on your opponent in the first round.

I can't see your pictures because they're blocked on my comp, but you probably got meter from performing the Shadow Kicks. You got no meter from the rest of your combo. Unfortunately, I can't check it out, myself, but I'm fairly certain if you won a flawless round without performing any specials, you would get no meter (aside from the First Hit bonus, which nets you one whole meter).
The point is it's totally built to encourage aggression

Deal damage with a special attack you gain meter
Deal damage through chip attacks you gain meter

There's no way to really deny it. The meter also acts as a revenge meter, if you're getting your ass handed to you you'll build up some meter. This is important so players who are the victim of combos regularly will have more opportunity to do Breakers. Still, blocking a regular combo adds VERY little to your opponents meter.

Thing is you're not suppose to sit there and block everything, you're playing the game wrong at that point. It's about aggression, retribution, and avoidance if anything. Back dashing away from an attack or jumping/teleporting around an opponent is favored to ducking and hold down R2 for, what should be, obvious reasons -- no matter how impressive your block-fu is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
malfcn said:
They are trying to keep people from being turtles.

The fact is that blocking is an integral part of the game, and when you're facing someone like Liu Kang or Scorpion, you WILL have to block a series of strings that will give them an entire meter AND take away a good chunk of chip damage. If anything, I think you should get meter for blocking attacks.

Houston3000 said:
The point is it's totally built to encourage aggression

Deal damage with a special attack you gain meter
Deal damage through chip attacks you gain meter

There's no way to really deny it. The meter also acts as a revenge meter, if you're getting your ass handed to you you'll build up some meter. This is important so players who are the victim of combos regularly will have more opportunity to do Breakers. Still, blocking a regular combo adds VERY little to your opponents meter.

Thing is you're not suppose to sit there and block everything, you're playing the game wrong at that point. It's about aggression, retribution, and avoidance if anything. Back dashing away from an attack or jumping/teleporting around an opponent is favored to ducking and hold down R2 for, what should be, obvious reasons -- no matter how impressive your block-fu is.

I think you get a good chunk of meter by getting a long blockstring guarded. I guess I'm just not used to a game that rewards jump-ins and aggression like that. In my mind, if your attacks are getting blocked, YOU made the mistake, not your opponent, and YOU should be penalized, not them. But I guess I'll just have to adjust.

Interfectum

GuardianE said:
The fact is that blocking is an integral part of the game, and when you're facing someone like Liu Kang or Scorpion, you WILL have to block a series of strings that will give them an entire meter AND take away a good chunk of chip damage. If anything, I think you should get meter for blocking attacks.

I think the point is if you are letting Liu Kang or Scorpion get off strings of blocked hits over and over again you are playing the game wrong.

Never let your opponent control the fighting space.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Interfectum said:
I think the point is if you are letting Liu Kang or Scorpion get off strings of blocked hits over and over again you are playing the game wrong.

Never let your opponent control the fighting space.

EDIT: I did say "over and over" apparently.

Anyway, when someone has better and faster normals than you, I generally think you should block them. Am I wrong?

Khezu

If shao khan won that gamespot popularity poll last year and boon revealed skarlet way back then, I wonder if they would have put more focus on her and had her actually ship with the game.

Interfectum

GuardianE said:
I'm not saying over and over. People are putting words in my mouth because I have a criticism (and not an unreasonable one) about how one aspect of the fighting engine is implemented.

I think over and over is implied because their meter wont build up that much from one blocked hit.

As a side note, one thing that I took the time to learn are the 'annoying' punches and kicks for my preferred character. You know, the annoying things people do when they are up on you and doing the same jab over and over again? Learn those ASAP. I've found they are very good for keeping people off you if you are in a defensive position and eliminate the problem of blocking combos and special moves up close.

GuardianE said:
I think you get a good chunk of meter by getting a long blockstring guarded. I guess I'm just not used to a game that rewards jump-ins and aggression like that. In my mind, if your attacks are getting blocked, YOU made the mistake, not your opponent, and YOU should be penalized, not them. But I guess I'll just have to adjust.
If you're in the block position during a long combo string then you are at an advantage! You're still in control of your character while they're busy pulling off canned animations. Duck under one of the punches in their combo and throw a sweep in or an uppercut. Holding block during the entirety of a 10-hit combo is pretty much the definition of turtling.

fernoca

Yep, the fear of bandresen and a few others seem to be confirmed; at least based on the thread PSN-thread (now too):

Seems you can't redeem online passes till the store is back. So MK will still be offline to many; till later this month.
Killthee said:
The JP site seems to be saying that code redemption will be down until the store is restored.

ご注意:
第一段階のサービス再開時において、下記のサービス/機能はご利用になれません。
  • “PlayStation Store”および決済に関する機能はご利用いただけません。
  • ゲーム内でのアイテム購入等の機能はご利用いただけません。
  • ダウンロードリストおよびプロダクトコードはご利用いただけません。
  • “PlayStation Network”機能を利用する一部タイトルで不具合が生じる場合がございます。

The google translation spits out:
Please note:
In the first stage of resumption of service, the following services / functions can not be accepted.
  • "PlayStation Store" and the feature is not available for settlement.
  • Features such as purchase items not available in the game.
  • Download product code and the list is not available.
  • "PlayStation Network" in the title may cause some problems to use the feature.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Interfectum said:
I think over and over is implied because their meter wont build up that much from one blocked hit.

As a side note, one thing that I took the time to learn are the 'annoying' punches and kicks for my preferred character. You know, the annoying things people do when they are up on you and doing the same jab over and over again? Learn those ASAP. I've found they are very good for keeping people off you if you are in a defensive position and eliminate the problem of blocking combos and special moves up close.

Well, I'm a Jade main right now. I'm getting a little frustrated because her normals are so damn slow and telegraphed. I'm not going to drop her, but it's getting really annoying that I don't have good defensive options besides blocking. Nor do I have a safe way to get in.

Now that I know about the Enhanced Shadow Move, I'm going to implement that, but still she seems to get recked by offensive characters... and these offensive characters get tons of meter when I'm trying to control my space.

Houston3000 said:
If you're in the block position during a long combo string then you are at an advantage! You're still in control of your character while they're busy pulling off canned animations. Duck under one of the punches in their combo and throw a sweep in or an uppercut. Holding block during the entirety of a 10-hit combo is pretty much the definition of turtling.

I think I simply don't know when a combo is punishable. I don't know what a true blockstring is in this game. If I try to punish, I sometimes just eat the next hit. Like I had mentioned before Jade's normals are so slow, it's hard to know when to punish things. And there are definitely very safe blockstrings out there that you cannot punish.

Interfectum

fernoca said:
Yep, the fear of bandresen and a few others seem to be confirmed (at least based on the thread..(now too): Seems you can't redeem online passes till the store is back. So MK will still be offline it seems to many...

Good lord... I'm glad I opted to get the 360 version. And the only reason I did was I wanted to try out the silver 360 controller I got. Otherwise I would've got the PS3 one for Kratos.

I wonder if you'll be able to connect to Steam (for portal 2) once it comes back up.

fernoca said:
Yep, the fear of bandresen and a few others seem to be confirmed; at least based on the thread PSN-thread (now too):

Seems you can't redeem online passes till the store is back. So MK will still be offline to many; till later this month.
Wow, that would be bullshit.

So the online redemption code actually downloads a file? It doesn't just confirm itself against an online database or something?

MYE

Vik_Vaughn said:
How far are you? I remember dealing with your same issue, only to realize that was only the tip of the iceberg...

The
second Mortal Kombat Tounament started and Shang Tsung is now, apparently, young again.

Interfectum

GuardianE said:
Well, I'm a Jade main right now. I'm getting a little frustrated because her normals are so damn slow and telegraphed. I'm not going to drop her, but it's getting really annoying that I don't have good defensive options besides blocking. Nor do I have a safe way to get in.

Now that I know about the Enhanced Shadow Move, I'm going to implement that, but still she seems to get recked by offensive characters... and these offensive characters get tons of meter when I'm trying to control my space.

Not sure about Jade but one thing I found with Ermac (my secondary) is if you press forward and B (circle for PS3 I believe) he'll do this quick one-two high kick. It is SOOO useful for when people want to get up on you to throw you or do their dumbass jabs. And some don't learn so you can keep pressing forward and B and take off 1/4 of their energy before they try something else. It's great.

Maybe find if Jade has something like that?

fernoca

Interfectum said:
Good lord... I'm glad I opted to get the 360 version. And the only reason I did was I wanted to try out the silver 360 controller I got. Otherwise I would've got the PS3 one for Kratos.

I wonder if you'll be able to connect to Steam (for portal 2) once it comes back up.
For Portal 2, seems you can:
borghe said:
portal you don't redeem on PSN. You simply need a PSN connection to connect your account for steam. the portal 2 code you redeem on steam (after your accounts are linked)

Houston3000 said:
Wow, that would be bullshit.

So the online redemption code actually downloads a file? It doesn't just confirm itself against an online database or something?
Yep. At least on PSN (and most online passes on it) it downloads a file, which is why many are able to use multiple accounts with one online pass on the same PSN.

On MK, there's the option to redeem the code though the game...but on the PS3 it takes you directly to the PSN/Redeem Code window; to download the file.

GuardianE said:
I think I simply don't know when a combo is punishable. I don't know what a true blockstring is in this game. If I try to punish, I sometimes just eat the next hit. Like I had mentioned before Jade's normals are so slow, it's hard to know when to punish things. And there are definitely very safe blockstrings out there that you cannot punish.
Well, don't get me wrong. It's hard to do that sometimes depending on the characters involved - it's possible, I do it often, but just as often I get punished for letting go of the block button at the wrong time. It takes practice, it takes quick reactions, or at the very least it takes some luck. I've only played Jade in the story mode so I'm not very skilled with her but a lot of characters have extremely quick low attacks that you can pop out during an opponent's combo to interrupt them.

Interfectum said:

Hope it does better than mine:

768fa0f2.jpg

ba36f8aa.jpg

Double D

MYE said:
The
second Mortal Kombat Tounament started and Shang Tsung is now, apparently, young again.

Yeah, well, you haven't seen anything yet. Think tag matches. What really blew my mind last night was when I got the "halfway there" achievement. I said, "Holy Shit". Really enjoying the story mode a lot now. I never payed much attention to the 'story' or Mortal Kombat, and it's great seeing everything come together.

edit: Neuromancer - is the d-pad still 'usable' for games that require very minimal d-pad input? (FPS, etc)

Vik_Vaughn said:
edit: Neuromancer - is the d-pad still 'usable' for games that require very minimal d-pad input? (FPS, etc)
Oh yeah, definitely. I had it for a good long while and it only broke after a week of MK playing.

dankir said:
How the hell did you do that? Slammed the controller against something?
Nope. In the middle of a match. I wasn't even doing anything that crazy. It seems to be a known problem with that controller, and MS is replacing it for free (well minus my having to ship the busted one to them.)

Double D

Neuromancer said:
Oh yeah, definitely. I had it for a good long while and it only broke after a week of MK playing.

No I mean, like, right now. As in, is the controller going in the garbage, or can those directions be pressed to switch weapons and whatnot if need be?

derFeef

Interfectum said:
Fuck. Mine's already starting to squeak. Gotta love shitty MS hardware.
:/ Wanted that pad as well, now I may not getting it. The controller itself is awesome, but screwing up the dpad twice is ridiculous.

Vik_Vaughn said:
No I mean, like, right now. As in, is the controller going in the garbage, or can those directions be pressed to switch weapons and whatnot if need be?
Oh I see. Well I finished the match just pushing on the raw, plasticky nub that was left over and other than hurting my thumb it worked OK enough. So just for menu stuff it probably would have been OK other than being an eye sore.

Xater

fernoca said:

Oh for fucks sake!
LLShC.gif

derFeef said:
:/ Wanted that pad as well, now I may not getting it. The controller itself is awesome, but screwing up the dpad twice is ridiculous.

If it helps any the new black controllers they pack with the 360 S is actually very good. I can play anything 2D that uses the thing just fine. It's very, very noticeable when I try to play using my previous Elite controller or the white one I sanded out a bit.

Interfectum

hikarutilmitt said:
If it helps any the new black controllers they pack with the 360 S is actually very good.

Hmm... could you go into more detail about this? How is the d-pad different on the black slim controllers?

derFeef

hikarutilmitt said:
If it helps any the new black controllers they pack with the 360 S is actually very good. I can play anything 2D that uses the thing just fine. It's very, very noticeable when I try to play using my previous Elite controller or the white one I sanded out a bit.
Is it the same as in the Reach edition? If yes... I still have to press more into a down direction if I want to move left or right, otherwise it will count as a jump. Fatalities are a pain.

I've not used the Reach controller, but when playing things like Castlevania HD and even UMK3 I have zero problems ducking, doing diagonals (for attacks in CVHD) or performing any moves in UMK3. It is genuinely more comfortable than my other 2 360 controllers. It's incredibly responsive, doesn't have that weird float my older ones do and I don't run into the outer wall like the older controllers used to.

hikarutilmitt said:
Mine is exactly the same but with different colors. D-pad still sucks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The black controller I have from my S has the exact same shitty dpad as my original white controller. Probably just a placebo effect. :p

Finished the story mode last night. Yeah Shao Kahn sucks. The one round where I actually beat him legit and felt good was immediately erased when he offed me with his xray 5 second later. So I spammed electric balls for the third round. It's cheap but like others have said it works like a charm.

Double D

henhowc said:
The black controller I have from my S has the exact same shitty dpad as my original white controller. Probably just a placebo effect. :p

I've got the wireless 'S' controller, and I feel the same way. Also, I use a black wired controller I bought for PC games and that seems to be a bit better than the wireless pad, but again, I'm sure if any of you have more than one controller at home, one is going to be a bit better than the other.

henhowc said:

I dunno, I went to play CVHD one day and just grabbed one of the black controllers because I knew they were charged and was wondering WTF happened to my being able to move even close to normally. Unless my old elite controller was just worn THAT MUCH, which is entirely possible.

Xater

GhostRidah said:
Trying to get a npc to get in your ice clone is a bitch for this challenge.

Oh absolutely. Fucking Sindel loves to punish you with her projectiles if you do ice clone. I managed this challenge with a bit of luck.

leed1990

Neo Member
This has been probably asked already but is there any way to get it online so you and a friend from xbl can be on the same tag team against somone else. On diffrent ranked and player matches i've seen teams with two diffrent tags but wasnt sure if it was just a case of them signing on to two diffrent accounts on the same xbox rather than over xbox live and on two diffrent consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom