• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Mdk7 said:
2) i desperately miss the possibility to play quick matches against the CPU.
I mean i do like the ladder (save for those painful matches against Shao Kahn, LOL), but i wish i could play some random quick fights like i do with SSFIV3D.
Single Player Test your Luck. ;)

Just set the option for 2 slots (the mininum) and that way it choses 1 character and 1 variable. If you want more "fun" just add more slots (7 max 1 for character, 6 for variables). You can even change the difficulty after choosing your character like in Ladder.

Not an actual "quickmatch" and you can't do fatalities in that mode, but it's fun and makes for some interesting matches possibilities and a nice diversion from the regular fighting. (armless kombat !! XD....or armless + headless + rainbow blood :p)

So I emailed Prima about the replacement cards... Never got a response. This normal? It's been about a week.I also never typed out my email address within the email. Hopefully that's not the issue. They should have my addy, right?

Mdk7

fernoca said:
Single Player Test your Luck. ;)

Just set the option for 2 slots (the mininum) and that way it choses 1 character and 1 variable. If you want more "fun" just add more slots (7 max 1 for character, 6 for variables). You can even change the difficulty after choosing your character like in Ladder.

Not an actual "quickmatch" and you can't do fatalities in that mode, but it's fun and makes for some interesting matches possibilities and a nice diversion from the regular fighting. (armless kombat !! XD....or armless + headless + rainbow blood :p)
mmm... i'll try that, i did enjoy the Test Your Luck challenges in the Tower!
Yet i feel that the lack of quick fights against the CPU is a pretty unusual (and lame) design choice.

fernoca

Mdk7 said:
mmm... i'll try that, i did enjoy the Test Your Luck challenges in the Tower!
Yet i feel that the lack of quick fights against the CPU is a pretty unusual (and lame) design choice.
Yeah. In some ways the omission is weird , but understandable. They probably thought that with all the other options, it will be kinda redundant, probably in the sense of:
  • If someone wants just to try out fatalities, the person might as well go to Fatality Training.
  • If someone wants some quick matches to train moves, specials, combos; they might as well go to practice were they have many options to change the training partner.
  • If they want quickmatches, not caring for overall results just to have some fun outside the regular does, then there's Test Your Luck.
But many has complained about it, so maybe it will be patched in the future.

TheHakku

Mdk7 said:
BTW, any suggestion on how to beat challenge 275?
3-fucking-Goros
2q3myy8.png

This is the one with Ermac, right? Contrary to what Err would want you to believe, jumping is not useless. Jump over Goro. Perform a combo or just uppercut to knock him away and down. Walk over (or dash if extremely far). When he gets up, repeat. Jump over, etc.
It's pretty difficult, but don't give up! I thought it was harder than the "This Is Insane!" challenge.

Mdk7 said:
3-fucking-Goros

I think I just spammed the hell out of cross up jump kicks. I might have setup up for some uppercuts when he's on his back but I found it safest to just keep jump kicking to reduce the likelihood of him getting a cheap hit in. See if you can save your x-ray for the last one. Lame and simple but most effective on that opponent.

If it makes you feel better, 300 isn't anywhere near as bad as most people say it is. I think multiple others are worse. Protip for when you get to it: lose until you get a nice heal for defeating first opponent. Initially you don't heal at all for the whole thing but after some losses, you heal after each win.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just ordered my PS3 copy from the Toys R Us sale. I really dislike fighters, but Mortal Kombat is the only franchise that I can actually enjoy. It's really weird.

Anyways, can't freaking wait. Woo!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
FallingEdge said:
That be me sir. If things work out, a grip of us from Colorado are trying to make it to the NM tourney in June. Should be fun.

Colorado Fighters are the best Fighters! When PSN comes back we should play some matches as they could be lag free!! lol

Still raging at 251. I've gotten SK down to about 20% life, but he always manages to do something cheap. Fuck that dude. >_<

--

MK3 DLC looks *niiiice*.
If PSN ever comes back up... o_O

mjc

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YOU SHAO KHAN (Challenge 250)

It doesn't help that Shang Tsung is about as useful as a fucking rock when it comes to fighting. What a shitty character.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure that his shoulder charge is the cheapest move in fighting game history.

Meohsix

Mdk7 said:
3-fucking-Goros

just did it a few hours ago, jump in the air and do
Emacs
teleport move, it will hit
goro
in the head then follow up with a upper cut, rinse and repeat

For 275 not that I am anywhere near it yet, can you not just
use Ermacs super combo strings with meter?

I need to play again, 2 days now without touching MK9 FORGIVE ME MKGAF!

mjc said:
Well, I'm on 251 and I think I'm gonna poop my pants.

Welcome to what I've been bitching about all day! 8)

*Hi-Five*

If only the useless doucheBAG could y'know... transform into other characters. Even the one he was fighting... :3

Bleepey

@Yoshi_OnoChin Yoshinori Ono
OMG! I'll try harder from now on. RT @GOUKI_HANZO: mk 9>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>super street fighter 4 @Yoshi_OnoChin ya cunt

http://twitter.com/#!/Yoshi_OnoChin

Man Ono is such a troll.

fernoca

Bleepey said:
http://twitter.com/#!/Yoshi_OnoChin

Man Ono is such a troll.
He is a well known troll, but the only troll in there if anything is Gouki_Hanzo. Sending a tweet to Ono with MK9>>>SSF4? And calling him "cunt"? :p

Same happened to Ed Boon (who also loves to troll on his Twitter) with Street Fighter fans and Xbox 360 owners a few months ago.

If anything, they're just having fun with some of the crazies out there.

Frankfurt

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
I'm hoping that the MK3 outfits for Sonya and Sub-Zero are added at some point, seeing MK3 outfits for the robots is awesome.

Definetly would like the Sonya one. Still her best look to date.

mjc

corrosivefrost said:
Welcome to what I've been bitching about all day! 8)

*Hi-Five*

I think I'll be spending all night on it from the looks of it.

Edit: Sindel and Baraka are easy enough but man, what a waste of time getting back to Shao Kahn.

twinturbo2 said:
I'm hoping that the MK3 outfits for Sonya and Sub-Zero are added at some point, seeing MK3 outfits for the robots is awesome.

Sure, whynot. But I definitely wouldn't buy the second one you mention. Worst version of him to date for me. :(

Man the length of this single player is surprising the hell out of me. Just got the 50% story mode completion achievement and I was pretty stunned. Loving this game more than any fighter in recent memory.

notworksafe said:
bio.gif

Ahem.

The Shredder look in Deception was also pretty lame.

I'm sorry, I cannot hear you. Like the abnormality where Devil May Cry never had a sequel and went straight to Devil May Cry 3, for some reason Ed Boon skipped from Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 to Mortal Kombat (9). I don't get it, but hey... they're artists. :)

fernoca

MikeE21286 said:
Man the length of this single player is surprising the hell out of me. Just got the 50% story mode completion achievement and I was pretty stunned. Loving this game more than any fighter in recent memory.
Just don't hate it because of the final battle. :p

Nemesis_

mjc said:
FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YOU SHAO KHAN (Challenge 250)

It doesn't help that Shang Tsung is about as useful as a fucking rock when it comes to fighting. What a shitty character.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure that his shoulder charge is the cheapest move in fighting game history.

You're doing it wrong.

Abuse Soul Steal and it'll become one of the easiest challenges.

Nemesis_

corrosivefrost said:
How do you abuse Soul Steal against Shao Kahn?
Does it knock him out of attacks even if he's armored?
Abusing it for the first two opponents reaped me sizable damage benefits. That's how I managed to beat it first try. His back eats combos, just time your attacks and don't get too damage greedy.

corrosivefrost said:
How do you abuse Soul Steal against Shao Kahn?
Does it knock him out of attacks even if he's armored?

I would bet it is when he is taunting you or are about to throw one of his spears. I never used it because I was always unlucky with him doing that shoulder dash all the time.

I treated it like a garbage fight where I jumped over his projectiles and spammed fireballs from the opposite side, occasional using the ex move. I would throw out a couple, then wait for him make his move and do a short combo. When he got too close, I would let him do an initial attack (usually the shoulder dash in air) then try going to the other side of the screen for the same thing. Not fun, but eventually worked.

Hasenfeffer said:
I would bet it is when he is taunting you or are about to throw one of his spears. I never used it because I was always unlucky with him doing that shoulder dash all the time.

I treated it like a garbage fight where I jumped over his projectiles and spammed fireballs from the opposite side, occasional using the ex move. I would throw out a couple, then wait for him make his move and do a short combo. When he got too close, I would let him do an initial attack (usually the shoulder dash in air) then try going to the other side of the screen for the same thing. Not fun, but eventually worked.

I've gotten close doing that several times, but when he gets me backed into the corner, I get blown up. I can't get out so I keep trying to get an uppercut in to get him off me... but it never works.

Irish

The DA MK3 version is cool because he is old. :p
notworksafe said:
The Shredder look in Deception was also pretty lame.

Also, if by 'lame' you really mean the best Sub-Zero design to date, then, yes, I agree.

How long does the damage boost from soul steal last?
If I use it on Sindel and Baraka, am I going to be jacked up for my fight against Kahn? Or do I have to start using it on him while he's open to get the benefit?

(I didn't even know Shang got a damage boost after doing it...)

Big One

Banned
Sub-Zero's Shredder look is great, but I'm not sure if it fits his character. I think they should've made the costume like the costume of a playable Lin Kei Grandmaster instead or some shit.

Irish

Big One said:
Sub-Zero's Shredder look is great, but I'm not sure if it fits his character. I think they should've made the costume like the costume of a playable Lin Kei Grandmaster instead or some shit.

But Sub-Zero was a Lin Kuei Grandmaster. :p Also, I think the story reasons behind the look was that it was actually the two ice brothers' and Frost's ancient race of cryomancers' armor.

fernoca

Yep. In Deception (young)Sub-Zero was in Outworld, burying Frost and found about the race of Cryomancers and decide to wear their armor to honor of his newly discovered heritage.

Sblargh

Banned
fernoca said:
Yep. In Deception (young)Sub-Zero was in Outworld, burying Frost and found about the race of Cryomancers and decide to wear their armor to honor of his newly discovered heritage.

lol fanfic

fernoca

Sblargh said:
lol fanfic
Official fanfic if anything; since it was Netherrealm that created it. :p

Awesome video!
Taylor Choi-Marquez, the son of Anthony Marquez (who was Kung Lao in the MKII and 3 games), here demonstrating MK2011-Kung Lao's combo....in real life. XD

Video

He worked/did motion capture for this game.

IGv1H.jpg

Nemesis_

corrosivefrost said:
If I use it on Sindel and Baraka, am I going to be jacked up for my fight against Kahn? Or do I have to start using it on him while he's open to get the benefit?

I was rapidly putting the inputs in for the whole first two fights. I got hit once or twice but after that I would almost always hit. The boosts seem to stack to the point where the Kahn battle will see you doing normal damage to him rather than "boss damage". Be ridiculously aggressive and keep doing it and then just try to attack Kahn normally.

I typically jump over him, unload a three hit combo, and repeat, occasionally moving it all around if he doesn't behave the same way. Even moving further away to bait him to throw a spear, then jumping in and doing a combo is also the way to go.

Xevren

corrosivefrost said:

I think it only lasts as long as the morph would last, so it doesn't really last that long. Extra damage is extra damage though.

Big One

Banned
I know of the story already, doesn't really change my opinion however. I actually got pretty deep into MK lore a long ass time ago

Irish said:
Master the teleport. Uppercut. Double Flawless that cunt.
rayner said:
Such cheeze! Keep your distance then as soon as he telegraphs an attack Teleport then Uppercut. The first few times he may not flinch, continue with the battle and do not hit Start then retry, just let him kill you and the difficulty will lower.
Alright!!

Thanks guys this did the trick perfectly, either that or I just wasn't as tired as I was last night. I beat him on the 3rd match. The trick was I just had to be much more strategic and less punishing. If I teleported and realized he was too far or if he blocked me I immediately would block to avoid his crazy charge attack. Before strategically escaping with some well times jumps and dashes. I didn't realize his uppercut did so much damage.

Another good trick, if you're lucky and you teleport in fast enough so you're right up behind him real close, the Down-Foward-BP Electrocute attack does a lot of damage and can be transitioned into some sick combos. It also has a relatively fast recovery time if you miss. I would often just Electrocute then immediately switch into a simple FK, FK, BK, combo which will fling him across the screen and do a good chunk of his health (its like 25% on normal enemies). I was even able to Superman into his body a couple of times afterwards for amazingsauce damage but I tried to play it safe for the most part. I could definitely see Raiden being quite the force though in a multiplayer match now after I learned a few of his tricks.

Story Spoilers:
Holy fuck, everyone except for Sonya, Raiden, and Johnny are just gonna stay dead... no resurrection, no going back in time, nothing. Wow, what a bummer ending - I mean, I thought it was great but just it really left off on a sad note.

Darknessbear said:
I just got it and gotta question, can you play Test Your Luck with two players?
Yes, maybe only local though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom